King playing for frees

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

King playing for frees

I don't like this trend from King of playing a victim when he got some physical attention.
He drops his head and looks to the umpire for help or sometimes even flops.
He's got to get that straight out of his game.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: King playing for frees

Was schooled early but came back well. We didn't exploit the attention he drew. Saw him go to toe with Balto off the ball. From where I was he did not take a step backwards.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 12:09am Was schooled early but came back well. We didn't exploit the attention he drew. Saw him go to toe with Balto off the ball. From where I was he did not take a step backwards.
He might not have gone a step backwards but...it was sideways

Balto wouldn't let go of King and just kept at him with the jumper punches. It was King who released Balto and let go of his collar.

That's how most premiership teams and premiership players react to any physical stuff. They are ferocious and they want to be the antogoniser.

Our leaders don't do that. We need a few of our youngsters to step up and show the way. King himself needs to show more physicality. I've noticed he's petered out in second halves. Needs to improve fitness and keep hitting the gym

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 12:00am I don't like this trend from King of playing a victim when he got some physical attention.
He drops his head and looks to the umpire for help or sometimes even flops.
He's got to get that straight out of his game.
I’d prefer he got the same protection as Curnow from the umpires

Maybe if he did there’d be no need for him to protest to the umpires about what’s being done to him?

Templar
Club Player

Never see big forwards like Tom Hawkins, Jack Riewoldt, Buddy Franklin, Taylor Walker etc playing for a free... oh wait...

(The misery head flop a different issue, don't like it either, but I think runs in the family)

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Saint2
Club Player

Max needs to be reminded to play in front- goes OK for a while then starts hanging out the back and got exposed a bit last night. RL should have played him higher up the ground last night- I though the forwards played too close to goal and didn't create enough space for each other.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

King is a very fine young player, A grade IMO.

The issue is he is such a presence that we continue to kick to him at most opportunities and are very predictable for the opposition who block, double team him and maul him.

It must be so hard for players when you head forward not to get drawn into trying to kick to him.

I think the King factor has contributed to Camaniti struggling through lack of supply and would work against any other key forward.
It also contribtes to our bombing it in.

It would be nice if Max could get on his bike and get a few easier marks on the lead than do so much heavy lifting in contested situations, but this may just be that the opposition are zoning and crowding his space.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!