Steele Carrying Injured Knee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StPeter
Club Player

Steele Carrying Injured Knee

It was reported on Channel 9 News tonight that Steele has been carrying a knee injury.

When interviewed he admitted to having it for a few weeks but expects to still play this Saturday.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steele Carrying Injured Knee

Makes sense why he hasn’t had prolific numbers. He’s been instrumental in some of our wins and played poorly (like many of his team mates) in some of our losses. People neglect the fact that he did an AC joint last year and fractured his clavicle this year as well as this current knee issue. I’m still flabergasted that he came back so early after the broken collar bone.

There’s a fair bit of commentary on this forum (and a few other footy fan websites) and some of the mainstream media have picked up on some of the repetitive junk opinion and regurgitated it as if it were fact.

E.g. Seb Ross, Brad Crouch and Jack Steele are all similar players. What a croc! Since when did Brad or Seb make the final cut for the All Australian team of 22? You don’t fluke that when you’ve done it 2 years running. Only Steele has an AA jacket (two of them).

Jack has the ability to play as a mid size marking forward and is a dead eye dick when it comes to set shot goals. He’s also a better goal kicker on the run than the other 2.

All 3 have shown they can consistently perform at a high level for 22 games of a grueling season. All 3 are inside mids and have probably been asked to play similar roles on many occasions in their careers, but I believe Steele's best surpasses Seb and Brad.

The following is Steele vs Crouch (most productive and most recent years). Both played 22 games and won their respective teams best and fairest. Crouch in 2019 and Jack in 2021. It might be ‘similar’ in some metrics but Jack reads the play better in my opinion and makes better decisions than Brad. His disposal efficiency for an inside mid is elite. There is no comparison

Jack had a 50% higher average for centre clearances and double the amount of goal assists

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... fopt2=2019

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Moved to the wing in 3rd qtr against Sydney

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Even though his numbers are decent in some regards he has not played a single game up to his usual standard this year. Clearly hampered first by the collarbone and now knee. Would've liked to see Bytel or Windy get a shot at being a starting mid while Steele was given time to recover

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If that is true then rest him.

Better getting 8 games at close to 100% than 11 games at 70%.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 5:39am Even though his numbers are decent in some regards he has not played a single game up to his usual standard this year. Clearly hampered first by the collarbone and now knee. Would've liked to see Bytel or Windy get a shot at being a starting mid while Steele was given time to recover
Unfortunately this feeds into RTB V1.0 concerns as it’s right out of his old play book.

I’d have given Steele 2-3 weeks, let him recover fully and come back fit with the added bonus of like you said… giving Bytel/Windy a few games of development.

Old school RTB would play the injury hampered player, except the reduced output, said player wouldn’t recover fully for ages and player x at Sandy would be getting 35 touches in the 2s and couldn’t get a game.

I really don’t want to see that again

Saintmike65
Club Player

Steele is captain of our football club and would’ve been chanting at the bit to get back.
Doubt he would’ve been selected if he wasn’t ready, as they’ve been conservative with player returns!
He looked a bit off pre season also for whatever reason.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

man of steele

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 12:55am Makes sense why he hasn’t had prolific numbers. He’s been instrumental in some of our wins and played poorly (like many of his team mates) in some of our losses. People neglect the fact that he did an AC joint last year and fractured his clavicle this year as well as this current knee issue. I’m still flabergasted that he came back so early after the broken collar bone.

There’s a fair bit of commentary on this forum (and a few other footy fan websites) and some of the mainstream media have picked up on some of the repetitive junk opinion and regurgitated it as if it were fact.

E.g. Seb Ross, Brad Crouch and Jack Steele are all similar players. What a croc! Since when did Brad or Seb make the final cut for the All Australian team of 22? You don’t fluke that when you’ve done it 2 years running. Only Steele has an AA jacket (two of them).

Jack has the ability to play as a mid size marking forward and is a dead eye dick when it comes to set shot goals. He’s also a better goal kicker on the run than the other 2.

All 3 have shown they can consistently perform at a high level for 22 games of a grueling season. All 3 are inside mids and have probably been asked to play similar roles on many occasions in their careers, but I believe Steele's best surpasses Seb and Brad.

The following is Steele vs Crouch (most productive and most recent years). Both played 22 games and won their respective teams best and fairest. Crouch in 2019 and Jack in 2021. It might be ‘similar’ in some metrics but Jack reads the play better in my opinion and makes better decisions than Brad. His disposal efficiency for an inside mid is elite. There is no comparison

Jack had a 50% higher average for centre clearances and double the amount of goal assists

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... fopt2=2019
Haven't read the media, but as you know most media consists of generalised statements, and in saying Ross, Crouch & Steele are all similar players, I would think they are meaning they are all mostly inside mids, not pacy outsiders, they are not comparing abilities. I don't think too many would dispute that Jack is the better player, has more strings to his bow. Not so much this year, has been playing injured. Crouch has been the best mid this year, aside of Sinclair paying a visit to the midfield.

Have you submitted any posts recently NOT including Brad Crouch? Obsessed. I wouldn't delve too much into the stats of the two, because generally Crouch has better figures (ie check career stats, or virtually any other year other than the ones you happened to select). However, Steele is the more effective player, just need to get him fully fit.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Why would they rest him if he’s putting his hand up to play? Just think about it before commenting. He’s the most important player on the ground. He’s our captain and the heartbeat for the team. Even Ross Lyon has said that. I would much rather him on the ground playing 75% of what he’s capable of than having the likes of Leo Connolly playing when’s he’s not AFL Standard. He does more with his leadership and setting the example than having a player called up from the twos. I tip my hat to Jack Steele. Carrying multiple injuries this year and still fronts up and plays. Legend of our club.

Saint2
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 11:40am Why would they rest him if he’s putting his hand up to play? Just think about it before commenting. He’s the most important player on the ground. He’s our captain and the heartbeat for the team. Even Ross Lyon has said that. I would much rather him on the ground playing 75% of what he’s capable of than having the likes of Leo Connolly playing when’s he’s not AFL Standard. He does more with his leadership and setting the example than having a player called up from the twos. I tip my hat to Jack Steele. Carrying multiple injuries this year and still fronts up and plays. Legend of our club.
If his knee is buggered, then it will only deteriorate further as the season goes on- the competition is not going to get any easier, as the top 10 players in the league now are mostly in-form mids, and Jack is nowhere near that kind of form. If we ended up making finals, I would hate to see Steele sitting in the stand watching on. All players want to play, but the club needs to show due diligence with injured players.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steele at his best is a very good player.

If he’s going to insist on playing while carrying injuries - which most of the best ones do - I suggest he splits time with Owens up forward.

Both are tough match-ups up forward and reasonable kicks for goal and both are good overhead.

Plus we’d get a look at Owens’ capabilities as a pure midfielder rather than a quasi power forward. Win/win

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 11:40am Why would they rest him if he’s putting his hand up to play? Just think about it before commenting. He’s the most important player on the ground. He’s our captain and the heartbeat for the team. Even Ross Lyon has said that. I would much rather him on the ground playing 75% of what he’s capable of than having the likes of Leo Connolly playing when’s he’s not AFL Standard. He does more with his leadership and setting the example than having a player called up from the twos. I tip my hat to Jack Steele. Carrying multiple injuries this year and still fronts up and plays. Legend of our club.
Thinking before commenting would be advised.

Many players put their hand up to play in the moment then later regret doing so.

Pushing through injuries, especially those that dramatically effect your output, can be very detrimental.

IF taking a few weeks off means we get 'Top 5 in the Brownlow' Steele rather than 'B+ mid' Steele, it's a pretty obvious decision.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The equation Dud mentions (11 games at 70% vs 8 games at 100%) is really unanswerable. How many experienced campaigners are playing without niggles and troubles by Round 12?
Riewoldt played injured for years.
Billings is currently rolling around in the reserves- well was.
Likelihood they’ll get re-injured is high, either in seconds or firsts
They’ll need pain killers too
Need I remind us of the key 🔑 principle. Will playing the player increase our chances of getting four points?
Yes? Play..and prey
No? Stay out and say*
*Say that you are doing the ‘responsible’ thing and wish nothing more than for Jack (or fill in blank)’s welfare.

Then don’t forget the $$$$ factor. More games = fattens manager pay check as player hits ‘performance targets’

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 12:30pm Jack Steele at his best is a very good player.

If he’s going to insist on playing while carrying injuries - which most of the best ones do - I suggest he splits time with Owens up forward.

Both are tough match-ups up forward and reasonable kicks for goal and both are good overhead.

Plus we’d get a look at Owens’ capabilities as a pure midfielder rather than a quasi power forward. Win/win
Good post.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I wonder if the heavy strapping and affected running gave it away that he was carrying a knee.

The question is does Steele at 70% provide better service that say Bytel at 100%, assuming playing is not further damaging the injury?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball should be a good example of what happens when you continue to push a mid thru injury.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 2:38pm I wonder if the heavy strapping and affected running gave it away that he was carrying a knee.

The question is does Steele at 70% provide better service that say Bytel at 100%, assuming playing is not further damaging the injury?
i love them both but now is the time to rest Steele and give Bytel an extended run.

That is if the boss is sincere in his wish to really examine the list to see what he actually has.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Saint2 wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 11:54am
If his knee is buggered, then it will only deteriorate further as the season goes on- the competition is not going to get any easier, as the top 10 players in the league now are mostly in-form mids, and Jack is nowhere near that kind of form. If we ended up making finals, I would hate to see Steele sitting in the stand watching on. All players want to play, but the club needs to show due diligence with injured players.
Tell me which game can we rest Steele for? Every game has been pretty close this year. I agree that he needs to be rested so we have him come finals time but we haven’t had the easiest draw to capitalise on.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 12:45pm

Many players put their hand up to play in the moment then later regret doing so.

Pushing through injuries, especially those that dramatically effect your output, can be very detrimental.

IF taking a few weeks off means we get 'Top 5 in the Brownlow' Steele rather than 'B+ mid' Steele, it's a pretty obvious decision.
Dud, we need Steele, end of story.

Bytel isn’t that good everyone. He’s showed glimpses against weaker opponents. If Steele can play he plays. I’m sure Misson and Co. know what they are doing because we are top 5 for a reason. He’s the heartbeat of the team.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 3:00pm

Bytel everyone. He’s showed glimpses against weaker opponents. If Steele can play he plays. I’m sure Misson and Co. know what they are doing because we are top 5 for a reason. He’s the heartbeat of the team.
How do you know that he "isn’t that good " as he has never been given a chance to show what he has got?

Do you keep playing an injured Steele? That's the thinking that f***ed Ball as another poster mentioned.

RTB has form in this regard.

Saint2
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 2:48pm Luke Ball should be a good example of what happens when you continue to push a mid thru injury.
Very true, and footy has a history of good players being pushed to play when carrying injuries, with less than good outcomes- and with midfielders especially, you are almost a player down if they're going at 75%

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Bytel isn’t that good everyone. He’s showed glimpses against weaker opponents. If Steele can play he plays. I’m sure Misson and Co. know what they are doing because we are top 5 for a reason. He’s the heartbeat of the team.
Yes we do need him, that's why he we should rest him now (if that will help) so he's going at (as close to) 100% for the run home when the whips are cracking.

Short term pain for long term gain.

He missed 3 games earlier in the year and we had probably 2 of our best/better wins. We survived without him.

Since his return from injury he has looked diminished, just watching him you can see he's not the same and the stats back that up.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 5:00pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 11:40am Why would they rest him if he’s putting his hand up to play? ...

Bytel isn’t that good everyone.....
Short term pain for long term gain.
How do you know long term gain?

Say we miss finals?

Then never reach the finals again...and go into rebuild?

And sell Steele for draft picks?

We just don't know..

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Alright everyone is an expert on team selection… let’s bat on with Bytel over Steele against Richmond this weekend (will never happen) and when we lose don’t come complaining back to me about why we needed Steele.

Bytel has had plenty of opportunity to prove his AFL readiness and he gets a good string of games together and gets injured. If he felt like he was getting held back why hasn’t he requested a trade like Paddy Dow to other clubs?
Last edited by TheGreatZacsby on Wed 14 Jun 2023 9:41pm, edited 1 time in total.