Winning the worst game of footbal in 20 years.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Winning the worst game of footbal in 20 years.

Well that was the worst game of footy I have watched in 20 years, passing the Good Friday game v North with the roof open .
The whole game was summed up with the play when 2 stkilda players crashed into each other , causing a turnover and the north bloke then sprayed it form 20 m out running into open goal.

The great news is 4 points banked and move on.

Adelaide will be very tough trip.
In: King, Billings

Out:???

Now things start getting interesting

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Winning the worst game of footbal in 20 years.

If Billings comes in, and I think he is a less than 50% chance, it will be for the injured Gresham. But, even if Gresham is out, we might see Windy or Bytel. I could be wrong, but my sense is that Billings is further back in the queue in the minds of the selectors.

King, if he’s truly ready, comes in for either Membrey or Sharman: toss a coin. Otherwise, Caminiti comes in for one of them.

If Marshall is out, then Campbell.

I’m not expecting any other changes.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I disagree about it being the worst game because that match against the Kangaroos on Good Friday in 2018 was worse.

The headlines say it all; North Melbourne and St Kilda play out ugly Good Friday clash

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/new ... qca839uoit

Fox Sports was a bit kinder. The called it an inspiring clash; https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/poor-n ... 7d6862e0b4

Glad you brought up the 2 St Kilda players crashing into each other. It was Crouch and Paton. One player (the senior of the 2) had no right to contest the mark. He went kick chasing.

His job was to communicate and let Ben Paton know he was free to mark the footy. Ben was the guy who called for it and made space.

Ben Paton was waving and heading to the centre of the ground when his team mate had possession a little forward of the half back flank. As soon as the footy was in flight Ben had to watch the ball as it sailed slightly over his head.

Crouch wasn't doing the team thing in this instance

saynta
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 11:19am Well that was the worst game of footy I have watched in 20 years, passing the Good Friday game v North with the roof open .
The whole game was summed up with the play when 2 stkilda players crashed into each other , causing a turnover and the north bloke then sprayed it form 20 m out running into open goal.

The great news is 4 points banked and move on.

Adelaide will be very tough trip.
In: King, Billings

Out:???

Now things start getting interesting

I remember Lindsay Fox sacking the coach over a similar incident many years ago.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The reason I say Crouch wasn't doing the team thing and that he had no right to be going for the ball is that Ben waved and called for it, and Ben was running in the direction of our goals where as Brad was running towards the North goals.

Ben is a very good overhead mark of the footy, so if Brad's excuse is that he thought the footy was going over Ben's head, then he's a poorer judge of a footy in flight (and of his team mates strengths) than I thought he was

Ben doesn't have to do a U turn. Brad had clear vision of what was unfolding and if he called for the footy (as though trying to pull the seniority card on Ben) it's not in the best interests of the team.

older saint
SS Life Member

I must be watching different football games to others calling for Membrey to be out.
Was very good v Carlton, Like many avergae v Port ( second game back from injury is often harder than first game) and there were no good forwards apart from Higgins yesterday , Sharman and Butler serviceable.

Experience in a hostile environment is imperative . Game is more than just stats IMO

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You call Higgins missing from dead in front, and only 20 metres from goal being good?

Every point means you are turning over the footy and giving the opposition a chance to score.

Higgins worked hard and had a few score involvements but so did Butts

Butler gave us the spark we needed in the first half. He would have nearly had 3 goals, but one of his kicks dribbled and curled into the goal post.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Can’t remember being at a game where people around me were laughing so much

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 12:25pm Can’t remember being at a game where people around me were laughing so much
You obviously weren't at the Good Friday game in 2018

We were laughing up until half time and pretty disgusted and disappointed by full time
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 08 May 2023 12:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 12:25pm Can’t remember being at a game where people around me were laughing so much
Crying is a lot worse

Might be THE worst game in a long time
It’s not OUR worst game in a long time, there were many shocking losses under ratten that would take that cake…

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Crying is a lot worse

Might be THE worst game in a long time
It’s not OUR worst game in a long time, there were many shocking losses under ratten that would take that cake…

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 12:32pm
You obviously weren't at the Good Friday game in 2018

We were laughing up until half time and pretty disgusted and disappointed by full time
Been watching the saints since the Moorabbin days so yeah seen plenty of crap. Just my memory is lapsing (which is probably a good thing) but it was comical. Journo at the presser, suggested that there be Benny Hill music over the game. He was right. 4 points or not. Not a good look

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 11:52am The reason I say Crouch wasn't doing the team thing and that he had no right to be going for the ball is that Ben waved and called for it, and Ben was running in the direction of our goals where as Brad was running towards the North goals.

Ben is a very good overhead mark of the footy, so if Brad's excuse is that he thought the footy was going over Ben's head, then he's a poorer judge of a footy in flight (and of his team mates strengths) than I thought he was

Ben doesn't have to do a U turn. Brad had clear vision of what was unfolding and if he called for the footy (as though trying to pull the seniority card on Ben) it's not in the best interests of the team.
I reckon the pass was for Crouch, always easier for the player going towards the ball to mark, rather than racing back with ball going over your head. Chest mark for Crouch. Ben does lack peripheral vision at times. Maybe Crouch didn't call, assuming Ben would see him.

Anyway, Crouchy is no good, not a team player, replace him full time with Bytel. Is that still your plan?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 11:29am If Billings comes in, and I think he is a less than 50% chance, it will be for the injured Gresham. But, even if Gresham is out, we might see Windy or Bytel. I could be wrong, but my sense is that Billings is further back in the queue in the minds of the selectors.

King, if he’s truly ready, comes in for either Membrey or Sharman: toss a coin. Otherwise, Caminiti comes in for one of them.

If Marshall is out, then Campbell.

I’m not expecting any other changes.
We’ll find out what the selectors think about Billings this week. I think he’ll be in, not sure for who. Webster should be back too, probably for Paton.
Personally I’d give King a run in the reserves but he means so much for our forward structure it might be worth playing him even if he is a bit underdone. The benefit to the other forwards would more than offset his lack of touch.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
lewdogs
Club Player

It wasn't a great game but to call it the worst game in twenty years is ridiculous. Probably not even the worst game this year.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 11:52am The reason I say Crouch wasn't doing the team thing and that he had no right to be going for the ball is that Ben waved and called for it, and Ben was running in the direction of our goals where as Brad was running towards the North goals.

The kick was to Crouch and he had every right to go for it. Paton has poor vision and spacial awareness on field.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sanctorum
Club Player

It struck me that North managed to bring St Kilda down to their level, which may well have been Clarkson's strategy, in order to minimise scoring.

As excruciating as this was to watch, a 5 goal win is a good result when you take into account that they played poorly.

By far the team's worst performance this year but there is no reason to think they won't find much better form against Adelaide next Sunday.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

The way I looked at yesterday's game is, our goal kicking let us down early and we should have had a 5 goal plus lead at 1/2 time.
The longer the Roo's were in the game the more Clarkson dropped players behind the ball and made it bloody ugly.
We should have been better looking for better inside 50 options.
We won, we ticked the box, we move on.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
older saint
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 11:40am I disagree about it being the worst game because that match against the Kangaroos on Good Friday in 2018 was worse.

The headlines say it all; North Melbourne and St Kilda play out ugly Good Friday clash

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/new ... qca839uoit

Fox Sports was a bit kinder. The called it an inspiring clash; https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/poor-n ... 7d6862e0b4

Glad you brought up the 2 St Kilda players crashing into each other. It was Crouch and Paton. One player (the senior of the 2) had no right to contest the mark. He went kick chasing.

His job was to communicate and let Ben Paton know he was free to mark the footy. Ben was the guy who called for it and made space.

Ben Paton was waving and heading to the centre of the ground when his team mate had possession a little forward of the half back flank. As soon as the footy was in flight Ben had to watch the ball as it sailed slightly over his head.

Crouch wasn't doing the team thing in this instance
Maybe right as i was on second level for the Good Friday game and with the roof open and the reflection i only saw half the game, haha!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 1:15pm

The kick was to Crouch and he had every right to go for it. Paton has poor vision and spacial awareness on field.
The kick was to Ben. As I said, It's a team game and you protect your team mates - you don't compete for the sake of a stat.

Would Crouch carry on and blame someone else for his error? No. I think he's better than that and he'd own up to his stuff up

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 12:42pm Ben does lack peripheral vision at times. Maybe Crouch didn't call, assuming Ben would see him.

Are you going to accuse every player who has a collision accident from any team that they lack peripheral vision?

Anyway...where is your evidence that he lacks peripheral vision?

You are making stuff up. Ben is an AFL footballer who plays in the big league. His peripheral vision is just fine.

I've outlined what happened, but better still, I'll give everyone a time line to decide for themselves.

Go to afl.com.au for the replay and go to 35.37 into the full replay and you'll clearly see after Liam Stocker takes the mark that Crouch is next to Cunnington. Ben is on his own and he's waving at Liam and catches Liam's eye. At 35.41 pause it and look at the flight of the football.

Is it going to Crouch who has left Cunnington to kick chase, or is it going straight in the direction of Paton?

https://www.afl.com.au/video/921973/mat ... MATCH:4856

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway said: Anyway, Crouchy is no good, not a team player, replace him full time with Bytel. Is that still your plan?
When did I ever say that? I don't think it was wise to recruit Crouch but he isn't a mug. He can play and he's been very good. I just think we don't need to play him for every single game in every single round. I have admitted that I never thought we should have recruited him and it was going to be to the detriment of Jack Bytel's development.

I've often argued that you need to utilise ALL the talent on your list. I also argued that we never should have recruited Hannebery, but I never said "Don't play him if he's fit"

I also do believe that Bytel's upside is greater than that of Crouch but he needs games and he needs them continuously. In my opinion, if he doesn't get them at St Kilda he should go to another team to fulfil his potential

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Round 22, 2016 against Richmond stands out to me as the worst game I've ever seen. It started off brilliantly with Paddy McCartin kicking two quick goals on Alex Rance before going off concussed. We ended up winning 7.13 55 to Richmond's 6.10 46. David Armitage gave away 8 free kicks amongst his 11 clangers. Big Jason Holmes drew with Shaun Hampson in the ruck with a total of 5 kicks between them. Membrey managed 7 direct turnovers which is quite impressive for a deep forward. Of the 13 goals kicked that day, only 5 were assisted by a teammate.

Paddy's brilliant first 15 minutes ended up being the difference.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

It’s better than losing the worst game of football in 20 years

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 5:56am
takeaway wrote: Mon 08 May 2023 12:42pm Ben does lack peripheral vision at times. Maybe Crouch didn't call, assuming Ben would see him.

Are you going to accuse every player who has a collision accident from any team that they lack peripheral vision?

Anyway...where is your evidence that he lacks peripheral vision?

You are making stuff up. Ben is an AFL footballer who plays in the big league. His peripheral vision is just fine.

I've outlined what happened, but better still, I'll give everyone a time line to decide for themselves.

Go to afl.com.au for the replay and go to 35.37 into the full replay and you'll clearly see after Liam Stocker takes the mark that Crouch is next to Cunnington. Ben is on his own and he's waving at Liam and catches Liam's eye. At 35.41 pause it and look at the flight of the football.

Is it going to Crouch who has left Cunnington to kick chase, or is it going straight in the direction of Paton?

https://www.afl.com.au/video/921973/mat ... MATCH:4856
Thanks for that. Definitely intended for Crouch, leading towards the ball. Funny but Curly saw it the same way, and even posted similar comments re Ben's spacial awareness.

Must be your curved TV set. If Crouch had been Bytel in that incident, would that change your mind?