Synchronised breathing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Synchronised breathing

Am I right in saying that the sychronised breathing malarkey is all gone under RTB?

The sight of GCS players pre-game doing breathing exercises while staring into middle-space and muttering self-belief mantras literally had me thinking, "We'll flog this mob by 50 points."*

No more pre-game meditation on fireld for the Saints? No more cuddle rooms?

Is it possible the Richo/Ratten New Age b.s. was even more constricting than I thought?

*Saints players were meanwhile doing handball drills, which is just the way I like it.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Synchronised breathing

a ha a ha

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely irrelevant

Wasn’t the reason we were winning or the reason we were losing

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 11:10pm Am I right in saying that the sychronised breathing malarkey is all gone under RTB?

The sight of GCS players pre-game doing breathing exercises while staring into middle-space and muttering self-belief mantras literally had me thinking, "We'll flog this mob by 50 points."*

Is it possible the Richo/Ratten New Age b.s. was even more constricting than I thought?

*Saints players were meanwhile doing handball drills, which is just the way I like it.
Your obsession with this is mind blowing

Professional athletes have been using sports psychology techniques for decades but for some reason the sight of a bit of mindfulness to reduce anxiety has had you in a tizzy for 2 years.

As BM has pointed out… no correlation with the results whatsoever but geeeez the mental health clinician in me wants to know what’s gone on with you that the site of 6s of meditation infuriates you this much

It annoys you more than Dean Kent annoyed me and that’s saying something

I mean you understand what they were doing right? Essentially focusing on reducing anxiety by lowering the heart rate and focusing on their objectives.

What about that infuriates you so much? Is it some kind of it does look manly type of issue.

And for the record… I actually can’t stand it in general either but that’s because it really doesn’t work for me. I can’t meditate as l find it agitating and mindfulness works me up too much as I’m already super focused on what’s happening to me… hence need to focus less on it then more.
But I can accept that other ppl may find it helpful

Templar
Club Player

I say do the meditation, positive projections, visualisations etc the days and nights before. On game day you want focussed ferocity not ambient relaxation. If you have to get your mental state right two minutes before the game you have left it way too late.

There is s good Kostya Zhou quote along the same lines.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:03am
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 11:10pm Am I right in saying that the sychronised breathing malarkey is all gone under RTB?

Your obsession with this is mind blowing

Professional athletes have been using sports psychology techniques for decades but for some reason the sight of a bit of mindfulness to reduce anxiety has had you in a tizzy for 2 years.

As BM has pointed out… no correlation with the results whatsoever but geeeez the mental health clinician in me wants to know what’s gone on with you that the site of 6s of meditation infuriates you this much

It annoys you more than Dean Kent annoyed me and that’s saying something

I mean you understand what they were doing right? Essentially focusing on reducing anxiety by lowering the heart rate and focusing on their objectives.

What about that infuriates you so much? Is it some kind of it does look manly type of issue.

And for the record… I actually can’t stand it in general either but that’s because it really doesn’t work for me. I can’t meditate as l find it agitating and mindfulness works me up too much as I’m already super focused on what’s happening to me… hence need to focus less on it then more.
But I can accept that other ppl may find it helpful
On one of the footy shows a couple of years ago Brad Johnson said he'd be very reluctant to do it.

We were the only club that did it.

In my opinion, focusing on the mental aspects of the game only encourages mental fragility.. And who can argue that the Saints haven't been mentally fragile for some years?

We can argue about that but a lot of players would feel like pillocks medittating on the field before a match. And if you didn't buy into that sort of thing then you can bet you'd be marked as a troublemaker -- under the old regime, anyway.

Good riddance, I say.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:03am
it really doesn’t work for me. I can’t meditate as l find it agitating and mindfulness works me up too much as I’m already super focused on what’s happening to me…

I think this indicates to me some evidence based research should be conducted to determine if forced meditation has any benefits to team sport.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The players seem to have been pretty focussed, on running their arses off. Most of them are still doing a deep breath before shots for goals, a few even close their eyes.

Saintmike65
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 7:49am The players seem to have been pretty focussed, on running their arses off. Most of them are still doing a deep breath before shots for goals, a few even close their eyes.

There has been an enormous amount of work done on goal kicking, both set shots and snaps..this includes all players, not just forwards and mids.
It’s bearing fruit!

Banger9798
SS Life Member

It's essentially about state change.

The super competitive adrenal- Sympathetic fight flight state when competing for the football against your opponent
Vs
The focused, parasympathetic state for executing fine skills.
You wouldn't want to be making a 6 foot putt on a green straight after a wrestling bout.....that is the rough equivalent.

Deep breathing with long exhalation switches on the parasympathetic system.....that's why they do it before goal kicking.

Not sure about the team synchronised breathing at quarter time though.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

This thread screams of fragile masculinity

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 9:59am This thread screams of fragile masculinity
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Maybe they are saving that breath for the running ?

They are a top running side now, :)

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The mental health world will have the language to talk up a storm, and talk up a sunny day too! lol

In the end they'll say, 'We are all different, and we all respond differently'.

I imagine it helps some, and others go along with it with indifference...like saying grace before tucking into a sausage roll.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 10:17am The mental health world will have the language to talk up a storm, and talk up a sunny day too! lol
haha

like their clients can turn exquisite into futile
without a word

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I for one, didn't have a problem with it. Try something if it works, good. If it doesn't, toss it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

NEW OLYMPIC SPORT

Synchronised breathing

I don't think it'll take off or get support as an Olympic Sport

Apologies to ace for pinching his m.o for giggles

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

synchronised goals would have been the better option

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 9:59am This thread screams of fragile masculinity
Like it or not, sport and the military are two fields in which you're relying on rampant maculinity for results.

Obviously it requires shrewd management, but cuddle rooms and anything else that make men feel ridiculous are not the answer.

Joey and Dal recently said they liked to share a joke before a match, unlike Riewoldt and Goddard who were hyper-focused and intense. Fair enough. You should be able to do whatever makes you feel motivated. But enforcing group meditation, I would argue, is counterproductive. It started under nice guy Richo, continued under nice guy Ratts, and RTB has said, "Nup ... no more of that."

Rubyjo
Club Player

It was a joke ..would not help the least little bit and looked stupid ..a 10 second breathing exersize is ridiculous..thank F*** it's gone ...bunch of soy boys. You need aggression not peace and harmony.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 5:49pm
Like it or not, sport and the military are two fields in which you're relying on rampant maculinity for results.

Obviously it requires shrewd management, but cuddle rooms and anything else that make men feel ridiculous are not the answer.

Joey and Dal recently said they liked to share a joke before a match, unlike Riewoldt and Goddard who were hyper-focused and intense. Fair enough. You should be able to do whatever makes you feel motivated. But enforcing group meditation, I would argue, is counterproductive. It started under nice guy Richo, continued under nice guy Ratts, and RTB has said, "Nup ... no more of that."
Yep, breathing is so feminine

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I doubt anyone felt forced to do it

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Personally, I try not to breath or look silly.

StPeter
Club Player

It certainly didn't help us get a quick start last year.

We were slow out of the blocks in so many games last year, even early in the year when we were winning matches.

I think the opposition scored the first couple of goals in less than 2 minutes in our first 3 games from memory.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 9:23pm I doubt anyone felt forced to do it
If you think anyone other than Mav Weller would lie on the playing field pre-match to meditate, well ... I've got a bridge to sell you.

Ditto deep breathing at three-quarter time with all your teammates.