Which teams might steal our march in '23?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Which teams might steal our march in '23?

So Carlton and Collingwood leap-frogged the mighty Saints in 2022

Of course, some of you say, 'Who cares?'...we will be better if we are better...just worry about us..the rest takes care of itself.

No argument there.

But there are only so many seats on the bus. It is a hustle.

What teams do you think might rise next season?

I'll have a go.

I think Hawthorn are going to the bottom. They are clearing out their decent players.
I think North are a disaster and their 'Clarko revival' reminds me of those famous paintings of the King's ship being launched on the Thames and tipping over as soon as it hit the water.
Adelaide are a curious number. What do you think?
Port are miles ahead already and they are getting a turbo-charger fitted as I write these (famous) words.
Freo are already decent..they might be around the middle of the ladder, ditto Collingwood, which I predict will drop and were lucky this year.
WB still better than Saints ATM..just.
Essendon?? Big question mark..They were decent in '21 for patches. Now Brad Scott? What do you think? I think they'll be a rival for St Kilda and we should be better. If we can't go out and wallop Essendon after the disgrace of '22, we are in major trouble.
Gold Coast...Mr. B King is back..they might be good..seriously..I predict them to be another rival.
West Coast could bounce back and be the surprise of '23?? Should we watch out? I just can't see such a powerful club being down for long, tho Carlton and Essendon in the 21st century have been crap.
Now Carlton? Who knows? They finished badly, but they were still having a crack even as they slid beneath the waves.

So I think in summary..

Carlton, Essendon and Gold Coast will be a great gauge for St Kilda in '23
I expect Adelaide, West Coast to rise
I expect Hawthorn and North to tank
Collingwood to drop but still be better..Same for WB

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Which teams might steal our march in '23?

Below us :
Gold Coast - underachieving list with enormous talent. Surely 2023 they make the 8
Port - Still sleep with the light on after the 2020 prelim. I can see similar spot for them 7-11 JHF big ?, lose Amon who was important for them, Gray gone.Rioli who knows what the hoochi Cooh is like in Adelaide
Haw - If Mitchell goes, with Omera, Gunston, Sheil, McEvoy will be a fall for the poos and wees
Adelaide- Very young still willimprove but not significantly
Essendon = Rabble. Midfield of plodders and down hill skiers. Add Weiderman soft as a wet tissue. May the streak continue
GWS - I dont think they know which direction they are heading. Will be more youth so don't expect much
WC - Dads army . Too old - and not Geelong Style too old. Couldnt name 4 players under 22 at WC you get excited about.
Norf- Lose JHF , trade pick 1 which would be key position forward and trade for 2 & 3 to add midfielders to recent picks like Phillips a mid.

Above us
Carlton - on the rise
WB - 2021 PTSD from the GF. between the ears of players / and coach as have talent and Darcy will be very good
Freo, Coll, Syd , Geel, Rich, Bris Melb not going anywhere in a hurry.

means internal improvement / development needed to at least hold position

Saints58
Club Player

older saint wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 4:03pm Below us :
Gold Coast - underachieving list with enormous talent. Surely 2023 they make the 8
Port - Still sleep with the light on after the 2020 prelim. I can see similar spot for them 7-11 JHF big ?, lose Amon who was important for them, Gray gone.Rioli who knows what the hoochi Cooh is like in Adelaide
Haw - If Mitchell goes, with Omera, Gunston, Sheil, McEvoy will be a fall for the poos and wees
Essendon = Rabble. Midfield of plodders and down hill skiers. Add Weiderman soft as a wet tissue. May the streak continue
GWS - I dont think they know which direction they are heading. Will be more youth so don't expect much
WC - Dads army . Too old - and not Geelong Style too old. Couldnt name 4 players under 22 at WC you get excited about.
Norf- Lose JHF , trade pick 1 which would be key position forward and trade for 2 & 3 to add midfielders to recent picks like Phillips a mid.

Above us
Carlton - on the rise
WB - 2021 PTSD from the GF. between the ears of players / and coach as have talent and Darcy will be very good

If GC do make finals are we out of the race for Bing then.
Or worst still will they chase Ming instead, shocking thought.

older saint
SS Life Member

Saints58 wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 5:42pm

Above us
Carlton - on the rise

Who would know?
Come home factor probably as big a thing with Ben as anything.
GC should be between 7-10 this coming season or Dew must go - allowance obviously for injuries.
I just not sure how both would work in the same forward line unless one significantly improves their tank which allows them to push up the ground further. Look at the good sides of recent times with 2 big forwards , 1 always pushed up tp the wing and then worked back - Reiwoldt/Lynch, Cameron/Hawkins, Darling/Kennedy,

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Saints58 wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 5:42pm

Above us
Carlton - on the rise

IMO Bing will stay at GC & the AFL will make sure he does

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

We went past West Coast, GWS, Essendon and Port this year. Who will we go past next year?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 13 Oct 2022 10:29pm We went past West Coast, GWS, Essendon and Port this year. Who will we go past next year?
I don't think West Coast count.

Port and Essendon beat us..but we finished ahead thanks to that flying start

BUt we definitely passed GWS.

Could we pass Carlton? Over rated? Collingwood? Even Richmond?
Might Sydney collapse after their massive bust? Could be?

Bulldogs have more talent, ditto Richmond

We have to be much, much better and then some.

ESPN say

https://www.espn.com/afl/story/_/id/346 ... nlow-medal

Says Rohan Collony

"Biggest slider: St Kilda. Holes in the list, replacements not coming through, Saints in a bit of strife I reckon."

And the Goons show that is Tik Tok

posting.php?f=1&mode=quote&p=1983719&si ... 7d32259e4b

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

New coach may see us bottom out

In red white and black from 73
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Thu 13 Oct 2022 11:40pm New coach may see us bottom out
Oh boy!

The news of tonight has shot through me.
All these posts I&ve written about us and them and trite..

How do you lot feel?
I think I have been so despondent and apathetic..
Suddennly I realise it is GAME ON! again...

Holy Moly.

Wow.

Ya know I don't think we'll bottom put.

I reckon it is game on again!