Brisbane next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

Brisbane next week

Have Fremantle exposed a weakness we can exploit next weekend or just riled Brisbane up enough to come out breathing fire? Will we be Lion-tamers or Saints thrown to the Lions?

Our team selections up forward will tell the story. Our defence looks set. Midfield bodies don’t show many options other than the courageous battlers we have seen inaction lately. Higgins? Butler? Sharman? Forward balance could be the key.

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Brisbane next week

Tough game & obviously they are a good team & at home they will present a big challenge, but hey a very even competition this year & IMO this is a very winnable game . Bring our best & we will be a decent chance

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think we can win it.
Big Joe will be back for them and they will come out tackling like crazy to compensate for their shameful tackles against Freo.
Home crowd vibe will be up and about and they'll not wanna go to their bye, two on the trott.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Daniher won’t be back until after the bye.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

6 days? Flying 4 hours or more. That combo will affect recovery.
Our rucks should give us an advantage, but we lost clearances to Norf. It's a worry that needs to be fixed.

We've had a week off, hope they didn't go to the movies 🙊

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 06 Jun 2022 12:36am Daniher won’t be back until after the bye.
Oh..OK.

Well that’s even better.

Come on Saints.

I wonder if Ratts and co. will surprise with some positional changes?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 06 Jun 2022 12:36am Daniher won’t be back until after the bye.
Oh..OK.

Well that’s even better.

Come on Saints.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

A few injuries to Brions

Gardiner - ribs
Zorko - hand

They are flying back from Perth and we are fresh .... no excuses

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Will be a perfect night for footy. Weather has been glorious - 23 yesty - though we had some rain overnight. 18 expected for Bris on Saturday though it will be cool by game time.

Looking forward to going to the Gabba with my son. Haven’t seen the boys live since the 2018 Gresham last gasp winner at Metricon

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Will be a perfect night for footy. Weather has been glorious - 23 yesty - though we had some rain overnight. 18 expected for Bris on Saturday though it will be cool by game time.

Looking forward to going to the Gabba with my son. Haven’t seen the boys live since the 2018 Gresham last gasp winner at Metricon

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Mon 06 Jun 2022 8:13am Will be a perfect night for footy.
Yes it's absolutely Melbourne weather in Brisbane right now.

My last time at the Gabba was when we got smashed by Geelong, so hopefully it's better than that game!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Hawkesbury Saint wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 11:28pm Midfield bodies don’t show many options other than the courageous battlers we have seen inaction lately.
Clark is listed as available. You could argue he needs another VFL match - where there is also a risk of injury. You could also argue that we need to pull the trigger and get him out of cotton wool as he is of no use sitting in the sheds.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Billings is the other one, though he’s not really a clearance mid. He’ll come under consideration.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Mon 06 Jun 2022 12:24pm
Hawkesbury Saint wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 11:28pm Midfield bodies don’t show many options other than the courageous battlers we have seen inaction lately.
Clark is listed as available. You could argue he needs another VFL match - where there is also a risk of injury. You could also argue that we need to pull the trigger and get him out of cotton wool as he is of no use sitting in the sheds.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Billings is the other one, though he’s not really a clearance mid. He’ll come under consideration.
Just a bloody shame we had a bye in the VFL this week - shocking timing. Both Billings and Hunter could've done with another run around

Go you red, black & white warriors
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 06 Jun 2022 1:07am
Oh..OK.

Well that’s even better.

Come on Saints.

I saw a report on the AFL website that he will be available this week after all.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Do they bring in Billings, Clark (no 'e') and Butler, to try to increase our chances?
Is it worth the gamble?
Or do we keep the side essentially unchanged, and trust NWM and Owens to play well against a hard n tough (albeit tired) top 4 team?
I don't like Billings and Butler coming back unless it's against Bombers, where it should be easier than Lions

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Cameron, Rich, Neale. They win the games for them?

Zorko out of sorts, keep it up Dane. Andrews seems to be carrying an injury.

Brisbane will be fired up with Fagan giving it too them from Perth to Woolloongabba. But they lack team speed, do they not? Can't yell that into legs.

We will have to be at or near our best.

Crossy66
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 07 Jun 2022 9:10am Cameron, Rich, Neale. They win the games for them?

Brisbane will be fired up with Fagan giving it too them from Perth to Woolloongabba. But they lack team speed, do they not? Can't yell that into legs.

Good team, but can be exposed with speed. Pick a quick team and run at them, don't let them get their defence set.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 07 Jun 2022 9:10am Cameron, Rich, Neale. They win the games for them?

Zorko is only out of sorts as he's being played as a mid and doesn't have the zip that he once had. He needs to go back to HB where he was pretty much AA for the first 6 weeks. I hope they don't do that this week. I have a feeling Butler and/or Higgins will come in this week to expose Rich for lack of speed (in the way Freo did with Frederick)

A nice Seb Ross shutdown on Neale would be most welcome too

Go you red, black & white warriors
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I just had a read of the Lions BF v Saints thread and they all believe Daniher will play. They expect Gardner to miss and are worried about our 2nd ruckman resting forward. Their dilemma is whether to go with two ruckman or one and use McStay as the 2nd ruck option. Either way they are going to have a very tall forward line, which may worry our defence. A poster kindly posted our matched top 7 disposal getters, where we look pretty good (excluding Steele). They have been smashed in centre clearances in recent weeks so we will need to get our mojo back in the regard. That will be the key to winning the game, limiting their F50 entries.

Crouch 27.82 – Neale 32.00
Steele (out) 27.78 – Rich 24.58
Sinclair 27.73 – Lyons 23.83
Ross 24.55 – McCluggage 23.00
Gresham 24.45 – Zorko 21.00 (injured finger)
Hill 22.45 – Bailey 17.75
Jones 21.00 – Berry 17.50

Apart from the above they have us covered in nearly every stat across the park, plus it will be the first game of Daniher/Hipwood back together. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... eam2_id=16. Bear in mind they have had a very easy draw in the first half of the year.

We will definitely need to bring Higgins & Butler back in, and possibly Clark if we think we will need to use either him or McKenzie in defence. My reasoning being is I dont see a positive match up for Hill in our defence, I think all of Brisbane's small forwards have traits that will expose him. Perhaps Ratts swaps him to a wing with DMac or Clark going back, or a straight swap with Long given Butler is back??

Lets hope the travel and 6 break has a significant affect on them backing up?

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 07 Jun 2022 1:35pm I just had a read of the Lions BF v Saints thread and they all believe Daniher will play. They expect Gardner to miss and are worried about our 2nd ruckman resting forward. Their dilemma is whether to go with two ruckman or one and use McStay as the 2nd ruck option. Either way they are going to have a very tall forward line, which may worry our defence. A poster kindly posted our matched top 7 disposal getters, where we look pretty good (excluding Steele). They have been smashed in centre clearances in recent weeks so we will need to get our mojo back in the regard. That will be the key to winning the game, limiting their F50 entries.

Apart from the above they have us covered in nearly every stat across the park, plus it will be the first game of Daniher/Hipwood back together. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... eam2_id=16. Bear in mind they have had a very easy draw in the first half of the year.

We will definitely need to bring Higgins & Butler back in, and possibly Clark if we think we will need to use either him or McKenzie in defence. My reasoning being is I dont see a positive match up for Hill in our defence, I think all of Brisbane's small forwards have traits that will expose him. Perhaps Ratts swaps him to a wing with DMac or Clark going back, or a straight swap with Long given Butler is back??

Prefer just Higgins coming in, as Butler needs to earn his spot due to his scoring drought.
Clark probably needs another run in the seconds due to his interruptions.
I’m really reluctant to leave out the 3 youngsters…they all offer up different skill sets.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 07 Jun 2022 11:40am

Zorko is only out of sorts as he's being played as a mid and doesn't have the zip that he once had. He needs to go back to HB where he was pretty much AA for the first 6 weeks. I hope they don't do that this week. I have a feeling Butler and/or Higgins will come in this week to expose Rich for lack of speed (in the way Freo did with Frederick)

A nice Seb Ross shutdown on Neale would be most welcome too
If there is a shutdown role, May go to Windhager..did a nice job second half on Touk Miller.
Good coaches aren’t afraid to give youngsters a challenging role.
Great learning curve!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think Clark has to miss

The week off is less of a problem for Billings and he is already match fit and could just do work hard during the time off.

Higgins for me over Butler. IMO he’s the one that they don’t have as good a match up for and he has a broader range of weapons to hurt

Personally I’d bring those to in… don’t know who to drop
Maybe Sharman and Webster? Seems harsh no matter which way you slice it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is Zorko out?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 07 Jun 2022 2:07pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 07 Jun 2022 1:35pm I just had a read of the Lions BF v Saints thread and they all believe Daniher will play. They expect Gardner to miss and are worried about our 2nd ruckman resting forward. Their dilemma is whether to go with two ruckman or one and use McStay as the 2nd ruck option. Either way they are going to have a very tall forward line, which may worry our defence. A poster kindly posted our matched top 7 disposal getters, where we look pretty good (excluding Steele). They have been smashed in centre clearances in recent weeks so we will need to get our mojo back in the regard. That will be the key to winning the game, limiting their F50 entries.

Prefer just Higgins coming in, as Butler needs to earn his spot due to his scoring drought.
Clark probably needs another run in the seconds due to his interruptions.
I’m really reluctant to leave out the 3 youngsters…they all offer up different skill sets.
Butler kicked 5 and had nearly 20 disposals in the VFL last week I think he has proven to be back in form.

Zorko has said he is playing but would have to be in question?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

If you're bored, like me, head on over to Big Footy, as a guest, for a bit of light relief, a laugh.

They get a bit distracted and begin fighting.
A thread can easily have 300 posts, most of them off-topic and getting personal.