Cairns!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sax
Club Player

Cairns!!

Hi everyone,
Haven’t been here for a while, couple years actually.
Can someone please tell me how many games we’ve sold to Cairns??
Currently we’ve sold two wins, the game last year v Crows & this year v Power!!
Sorry, no amount of money is worth that.
Cheers

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cairns!!

sax wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 9:59am Hi everyone,
Haven’t been here for a while, couple years actually.
Can someone please tell me how many games we’ve sold to Cairns??
Currently we’ve sold two wins, the game last year v Crows & this year v Power!!
Sorry, no amount of money is worth that.
Cheers
Agree with you 100%. Play those games in Melbourne at our fortress and we win. And last year a win would have meant finals.

Playing footy in the tropics at this time of the year is just pure bulls***. f****** madness.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Not just Cairns - but China and New Zealand - travel has not been our friend - but at least China and New Zealand we got the bye straight after.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
wally
Club Player

So when any games or a final is somewhere besides Marvel stadium the team might as well default and stay home.
The game last night was lost by inaccurate kicking for goal I think if we blame Cairns the club might as well fold and put us out of our misery.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I am not a member, so I shouldn’t have a say like you lot. It’s your money, but the cost of these games is how much to you?

Last year against Adelaide ffs! Pipped at the post and a repeat this year.

Someone here will know the history. Because St Kilda is poor, it stays poor. Look at the starting time against Geelong to.

This loss is a disaster.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Playing AFL in the tropics any time is folly. Whoever made the decision can never have gone further north than BNE. Just folly and we got stung for it. Surely it won't happen again - notice even the Qld sides won't buy in. And as for a tourism boost, well I think its a lose lose arrangement. Pretty sure the broadcasters are not thrilled with the "spectacle" and logistics either. Complete dud exercise however well intentioned. Even well prepared explorers perished up there.

FNQ is Rugba League country, those from the south that have moved up simply follow AFL on TV, playing in Cairns is not going to boost the game, just the opposite. NQ Cowboys would be laughing. More from CNS would drive to Townsville to see the Cows than cram in to Cazaly's to watch mud wrestling with a ball and a game they do not understand and find ridiculously eccentric (no offside, interpretive rules et al). Nuts. It was a pointless sacrifice and unless we are shown audited figures I dispute it made us enough money to justify the sacrifice of 4 points.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 11:09am Playing AFL in the tropics any time is folly. Whoever made the decision can never have gone further north than BNE. Just folly and we got stung for it. Surely it won't happen again - notice even the Qld sides won't buy in. And as for a tourism boost, well I think its a lose lose arrangement. Pretty sure the broadcasters are not thrilled with the "spectacle" and logistics either. Complete dud exercise however well intentioned. Even well prepared explorers perished up there.

FNQ is Rugba League country, those from the south that have moved up simply follow AFL on TV, playing in Cairns is not going to boost the game, just the opposite. NQ Cowboys would be laughing. More from CNS would drive to Townsville to see the Cows than cram in to Cazaly's to watch mud wrestling with a ball and a game they do not understand and find ridiculously eccentric (no offside, interpretive rules et al). Nuts. It was a pointless sacrifice and unless we are shown audited figures I dispute it made us enough money to justify the sacrifice of 4 points.
Respectfully Yorkeys,
I don’t agree with your assertion that AFL up north is folly. I think it as a harmful and dangerous assumption to make.
Some of our most famous footy players come from way up north, even the Tiwis, and footy has a live and long heritage up there. Moreover, it adds another dimension to the game- a different kind of game. I hope we have an NT team one day.

My old man grew up in Rockhampton on the Capricorn coast and even he remembers Aussie rules being played up there, notwithstanding that rugby was by far the dominant ‘footy’.

But we shouldn’t expect much from teams going up there ad hoc Willy nilly like we did.

Terrible.

minneapolis
Club Player

We lost a game of footy. So has every other team. Calm down.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 11:52am We lost a game of footy. So has every other team. Calm down.
Fair enough minne!

But we win that Cairns game last year against Adeleide, we make the finals!!

Let’s hope it didn’t cost us again!

wally
Club Player

We pulled out of Tassie (it’s not in the tropics) because we could only win under the dome roof.
Then we we went chasing dollars in NZ and China FFS how f/stupid
Interstate teams win premierships when they win games in different environments not just in their comfy little home beds

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

wally wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 10:59am So when any games or a final is somewhere besides Marvel stadium the team might as well default and stay home.
The game last night was lost by inaccurate kicking for goal I think if we blame Cairns the club might as well fold and put us out of our misery.
Spot on Wally.

To be elite in any individual or team sport you must be an any time, any venue, work through adversity performer.
The conditions were exactly the same for Port who were mentally strong enough to fight back after being dominated early.

The blaming of Cairns, the umpires, the time of the year, we would have won at home is piss weak whinging from apologist and excuse makers.
We got beaten, get over it and move on.

Clearly missing easy set shots (Messes King & Higgins) has to be addressed as it cost the club 4 points.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Conditions up there mean games are close. Basically the conditions take set ups skill level out of it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The boys really loved it around the Sunshine Coast

Is there a footy oval near Noosa?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Would Kingy have nailed two set shots 20m out directly in front at a different venue?

As far as I know the goal posts at Cazalys are installed according to the games regulations.

Saying we lost the game because of the venue is a bit like saying Kingy lost us the game because he missed two goals thst an AusKick kid would have nailed on his non preferred foot.
Last edited by Vortex on Sun 01 May 2022 2:35pm, edited 3 times in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 1:45pm Would Kingy have nailed to set shots 20m out directly in front at a different venue?

As far as I know the gaol posts at Cazalys are installed according to the games regulations.

Saying we lost the game because of the venue is a bit like saying Kingy lost us the game because be missed two goals thst an AusKick kid would have nailed on his non preferred foot.
The venue makes a huge difference. King might miss, like last week, but we win. - or more accurately, we win more.

Venue plays a huge role no matter the dimensions of the goals. So does travel, time of the game, and the fixture, days of break etc., Even history plays a role(never mind the coach saying it doesn’t) Ask Geelong. They have a huge advantage.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

As the man said " No amount of money can justify this."

https://www.afl.com.au/video/752373/-so ... 1352442001

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 1:55pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 1:45pm Would Kingy have nailed to set shots 20m out directly in front at a different venue?

As far as I know the gaol posts at Cazalys are installed according to the games regulations.

Saying we lost the game because of the venue is a bit like saying Kingy lost us the game because be missed two goals thst an AusKick kid would have nailed on his non preferred foot.
The venue makes a huge difference. King might miss, like last week, but we win. - or more accurately, we win more.

Venue plays a huge role no matter the dimensions of the goals. So does travel, time of the game, and the fixture, days of break etc., Even history plays a role(never mind the coach saying it doesn’t) Ask Geelong. They have a huge advantage.
Pure BS

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 11:09am Playing AFL in the tropics any time is folly. Whoever made the decision can never have gone further north than BNE. Just folly and we got stung for it. Surely it won't happen again - notice even the Qld sides won't buy in. And as for a tourism boost, well I think its a lose lose arrangement. Pretty sure the broadcasters are not thrilled with the "spectacle" and logistics either. Complete dud exercise however well intentioned. Even well prepared explorers perished up there.

Had the game been scheduled in another 2 or 3 weeks then the game would have been dry and sold out which would be around the 15k mark. Not bad for a population of 170k. AFL is a very popular sport in FNQ and supported by the 1000s of Victorians who have fled the derelict state. And they continue to flee after the Pandemic, the house prices are through the roof presently because Victorians are paying ridiculous prices over and well above market value and sight unseen.

The matches just need to be scheduled for June and July and you are assured if dry game.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

We had the bye after the Cairns game last year.
I can guarantee you both us and Port will lose next week due to playing there last night.
Humidity was at 88% and that just drains you. It will take more than a week to recover from this.
If they schedule us to play at the same time next year, we should send a seconds team up and rest the senior team.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Bowey Boy
Club Player

wally wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 12:28pm We pulled out of Tassie (it’s not in the tropics) because we could only win under the dome roof.
Then we we went chasing dollars in NZ and China FFS how f/stupid
Interstate teams win premierships when they win games in different environments not just in their comfy little home beds
Be interested to know how many "real away" games Port Adelaide played in 2004.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

To follow up my previous post, of course we need to learn to win away from Marvel and we have. We won at Subiaco, at the MCG and in Canberra.
Of course if we had kicked so.e of those gettable goals we would have won, but Port also missed a lot of gettable goals as well.
It's not where the game was played last night but when it was played because win, lose or draw this match was always going to handicap both teams for the following week.
The game should have been scheduled in June or July with both teams having a bye the following week. What's even more maddening is that AFL learned this from the games in Darwin.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 3:36pm Of course if we had kicked some of those gettable goals we would have won, but Port also missed a lot of gettable goals as well.
And got one truly freakish goal (their first)

I was prepared to bet (and I told Sainter_Boy) that it would haunt us

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 3:22pm We had the bye after the Cairns game last year.
I can guarantee you both us and Port will lose next week due to playing there last night.
Humidity was at 88% and that just drains you. It will take more than a week to recover from this.
If they schedule us to play at the same time next year, we should send a seconds team up and rest the senior team.
Exactly right. We should play "the long game" and just not bother with games where the location, and usually the umpiring is going to slaughter us in any case. Thankfully winning in WA is achievable this year as the umps have deserted West Coast.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It would be ironic if a couple of meatheads like our CEO and our Football operations manager were asked by the AFL if they were ok with a Cairns game in April or May and they agreed to it

I’m not saying that in July or August that the ground would have been totally dry, but I reckon the chances of such a slippery surface would be reduced later in the year. Jane Bunn agrees

The thing is, that Port Adelaide also have to agree so it really doesn’t matter when we play or where we play…it’s the how that counts

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 9:59am And last year a win would have meant finals.
It would not have. We finished 4 points and 18% behind Essendon in 8th.
We'd have finished on equal points with them if we beat the Crows.
The thrashings we copped against Essendon, Richmond, Port, and the Dogs cost us.