Dunstan shares trade period stress in new AFL documentary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bullmarket
Club Player

Jon Pierik
By Jon Pierik
February 10, 2022 — 5.50am

Former St Kilda midfielder Luke Dunstan opens up about the stress he felt while playing at the Saints and how he would rather have been a carpenter than accept a contract extension, in a new documentary which highlights the deals and drama of last year’s AFL trade period.

Show Me the Money, a three-part series produced by JAM TV and airing on streaming service Stan, owned by Nine Entertainment Co, which also owns The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, will premiere on March 10.

Play Video

Trailer: Show Me The Money
Play video
1:29

Take a look inside the deals and drama of the AFL draft and trade period in Stan's upcoming documentary, Show Me The Money.

It features four of the more prominent player agencies, that being Connors Sports Management, Hemisphere Management Group, Players Ink and Corporate Sports Australia.

Dunstan had played 116 matches with the Saints, including 12 last season, when the time came to weigh up free agency. Asked by his manager Robbie D’Orazio, of CSM, “If the Saints offered you a contract, would you take it?“, Dunstan was emphatic.

“No. I said that in my exit interview. I said: ‘To be honest, I’d rather go get a job and move on,’” Dunstan said. “Just the stress … I’ve had for the last 12 months, especially of going in there. It feels good not knowing I have to go back and put up with it.”

D’Orazio later adds: “Worst-case scenario, what do we do if we don’t have a footy club? Have we thought about that? That could happen.”

Dunstan replied: “Ah, number one, I’ve got the chippy thing that I can go into … and then, going to start doing one day a week next week with [former teammate] Sammy Gilbert. He’s a site manager at a construction company.”

D’Orazio: “Mate, you’re too good not to be playing AFL next year.”

At the time, Dunstan went on radio, declaring he was unable to earn the respect of coach Brett Ratten.

The hard-running midfielder met with Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin five days after the Demons had claimed a breakthrough premiership. Buoyed by one of the more impressive presentations D’Orazio had seen, Dunstan agreed to join the Demons.

Luke Dunstan (left) with manager Robbie D’Orazio
Luke Dunstan (left) with manager Robbie D’OrazioCREDIT:STAN

D’Orazio was also involved in Adam Cerra’s trade from Fremantle to Carlton, where the Blues ceded pick No.6 and a future third-round selection for the midfielder.

In the behind-the-scenes madness that trade week can provide, CSM is led by the powerful and charismatic Paul Connors, the man who helped turn Chris and Rebecca Judd into celebrities, while D’Orazio, his prominent business partner, along with Nick Gieschen and Nathan Freeman, also enjoy air time.

Alex McDonald, the No.1 draft pick in 1988 and a former Magpie and Hawk, has long been one of the more astute agents, and heads up Hemisphere. David Trotter, Annabel Burge, Tom Seccull and Julian Petracca also feature from the agency.

Ben Williams, the former Big Brother winner who established Players Ink, and wife Jade Robran, a former television reporter, have an important role to play, for they guided No.1 draft selection Jason Horne-Francis through the biggest week of his life.

Then there is Western Australian-based Colin Young, who more often than not is in the thick of the action come the trade and draft period. Young’s chief partner Andrew McDougall is also shown.

“For me, this year was going to be, nah, I am going to sit back in the chair and have a really relaxing trade period but then, bang, helter-skelter,” Young said.

“I am not here to be liked – I am here to do my job for my player.”

One of Young’s biggest issues through the last trade period was trying to send Fremantle ruckman Rory Lobb back to Greater Western Sydney, which sparked a public spat with Dockers football boss, Peter Bell. Young was upset that Bell had gone public, Bell declaring he had doubts that Lobb and the Giants could agree to terms. The trade request ultimately failed.

In the documentary, Young is on the phone, presumably to the Dockers, exclaiming: “I actually thought those meetings were private and confidential.”

Another of Young’s clients, contracted GWS forward Bobby Hill, sought a trade to Essendon but the Giants refused to let him go. The documentary captures the moment a shattered Hill, having all but packed his belongings, was told he would have to stay at the Giants.

JAM TV chief executive officer Cos Cardone said the documentary cast a light on the “compelling storylines”.

“The trade period is one of the most fascinating aspects of AFL football and, for the first time, the backroom deal making will be given the true sports documentary series treatment,” he said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dun ... 59v2x.html

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan shares trade period stress in new AFL documentary

I know poor disposal especially by foot is an issue for Ratts, and I guess although Dunstan put in some good efforts physically, he continually let himself down by poor disposal and decision-making under pressure, which influences outcomes. We have a couple of players still deficient in that area, but Ratts can't let them all go. Dunstan will be a backup at the Demons, but it's light years between his disposal quality, and the main onball group there.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

His game against Geelong was a shocker and a mistake he made cost us the game and a place in the finals.

Hope he does well at the dees.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

So we in the Joe-public, have to ignore the Brownlow votes …we should ignore the whole thing! Maybe he was liked by the umps? Did he get a lot of free kicks?

It shows how desperate St Kilda were in ‘21…for if Ratts really didn’t like him, as it seemed, at least so far as in being a future prospect for a tilt at a flag, and yet was forced to pick him, where he was quite good, it portrays an image of ‘grinding gears’ to me…throwing whatever into the mix, without a clutch.

As for poor disposal…our mid-field isn’t known for it. Crouch, Jones, Ross ..I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, all not slick in that department, ? No?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Too bad he can't kick

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Brownlow votes mean nothing. Umpires just look at stats, not how effective they were!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 12:25pm Brownlow votes mean nothing. Umpires just look at stats, not how effective they were!
100% correct.

The guy is obviously a very bitter and twisted loser. :twisted:

Good luck to him. He can now get on the piss and the punt with his new coach. They are made for each other. I would say a match made in heaven but we are the Saints and he is now a demon.

damienc
Club Player

bullmarket wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 7:13am Dunstan shares trade period stress in new AFL documentary
Jon Pierik
By Jon Pierik
February 10, 2022 — 5.50am

Former St Kilda midfielder Luke Dunstan opens up about the stress he felt while playing at the Saints and how he would rather have been a carpenter than accept a contract extension, in a new documentary which highlights the deals and drama of last year’s AFL trade period.

Show Me the Money, a three-part series produced by JAM TV and airing on streaming service Stan, owned by Nine Entertainment Co, which also owns The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, will premiere on March 10.

Play Video

Play video
1:29

Take a look inside the deals and drama of the AFL draft and trade period in Stan's upcoming documentary, Show Me The Money.

It features four of the more prominent player agencies, that being Connors Sports Management, Hemisphere Management Group, Players Ink and Corporate Sports Australia.

Dunstan had played 116 matches with the Saints, including 12 last season, when the time came to weigh up free agency. Asked by his manager Robbie D’Orazio, of CSM, “If the Saints offered you a contract, would you take it?“, Dunstan was emphatic.

“No. I said that in my exit interview. I said: ‘To be honest, I’d rather go get a job and move on,’” Dunstan said. “Just the stress … I’ve had for the last 12 months, especially of going in there. It feels good not knowing I have to go back and put up with it.”

D’Orazio later adds: “Worst-case scenario, what do we do if we don’t have a footy club? Have we thought about that? That could happen.”

Dunstan replied: “Ah, number one, I’ve got the chippy thing that I can go into … and then, going to start doing one day a week next week with [former teammate] Sammy Gilbert. He’s a site manager at a construction company.”

D’Orazio: “Mate, you’re too good not to be playing AFL next year.”

At the time, Dunstan went on radio, declaring he was unable to earn the respect of coach Brett Ratten.

The hard-running midfielder met with Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin five days after the Demons had claimed a breakthrough premiership. Buoyed by one of the more impressive presentations D’Orazio had seen, Dunstan agreed to join the Demons.

Luke Dunstan (left) with manager Robbie D’Orazio
Luke Dunstan (left) with manager Robbie D’OrazioCREDIT:STAN

D’Orazio was also involved in Adam Cerra’s trade from Fremantle to Carlton, where the Blues ceded pick No.6 and a future third-round selection for the midfielder.

In the behind-the-scenes madness that trade week can provide, CSM is led by the powerful and charismatic Paul Connors, the man who helped turn Chris and Rebecca Judd into celebrities, while D’Orazio, his prominent business partner, along with Nick Gieschen and Nathan Freeman, also enjoy air time.

Alex McDonald, the No.1 draft pick in 1988 and a former Magpie and Hawk, has long been one of the more astute agents, and heads up Hemisphere. David Trotter, Annabel Burge, Tom Seccull and Julian Petracca also feature from the agency.

Ben Williams, the former Big Brother winner who established Players Ink, and wife Jade Robran, a former television reporter, have an important role to play, for they guided No.1 draft selection Jason Horne-Francis through the biggest week of his life.

Then there is Western Australian-based Colin Young, who more often than not is in the thick of the action come the trade and draft period. Young’s chief partner Andrew McDougall is also shown.

“For me, this year was going to be, nah, I am going to sit back in the chair and have a really relaxing trade period but then, bang, helter-skelter,” Young said.

“I am not here to be liked – I am here to do my job for my player.”

One of Young’s biggest issues through the last trade period was trying to send Fremantle ruckman Rory Lobb back to Greater Western Sydney, which sparked a public spat with Dockers football boss, Peter Bell. Young was upset that Bell had gone public, Bell declaring he had doubts that Lobb and the Giants could agree to terms. The trade request ultimately failed.

In the documentary, Young is on the phone, presumably to the Dockers, exclaiming: “I actually thought those meetings were private and confidential.”

Another of Young’s clients, contracted GWS forward Bobby Hill, sought a trade to Essendon but the Giants refused to let him go. The documentary captures the moment a shattered Hill, having all but packed his belongings, was told he would have to stay at the Giants.

JAM TV chief executive officer Cos Cardone said the documentary cast a light on the “compelling storylines”.

“The trade period is one of the most fascinating aspects of AFL football and, for the first time, the backroom deal making will be given the true sports documentary series treatment,” he said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dun ... 59v2x.html
From a personal perspective, I have zero interest in a guy who was never that good to begin with, and that's why he was in and out of the team, and who moved on and is now playing for another club.

Just remember there are two sides to every story and we are only hearing one of them.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan's disposal was very poor when under NO PRESSURE...in space, with time, he would butcher his kicks, especially his delivery into forward 50. Often overshooting by many metres, sometimes grubbing the ball along the ground. He also fumbled below his knees and his handball was sloppy. Yes, he's tough and he can get the ball in stoppage situations, but what value is that if nothing proactive comes of it? Score assists? Almost zero. When Dunstan was involved in a chain, it often broke down.

Hitting targets is critical to setting up scoring opportunities. Missing them when in an advantageous position creates scoring opportunities for the opposition. With Dunstan, and players like him, the possessions add up to a net loss over a game. We've had far too many like him at St Kilda over the years and I'm glad that Ratten has seen it for the problem it is and has done something about it.

If players like Byrnes and Connolly ramp up their development, then Seb Ross will be nervously looking over his shoulder, too. Poor disposal can swing games, demoralize the team, and mean the difference between playing finals or not. So many times, in those losses of four goals or less, it's crappy disposal that's been the difference.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Had a lot of support on here all season

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 1:20pm Had a lot of support on here all season
Sounds like Ratts didn’t support him but it can’t be that simple, surely. Still, he toiled away at Sandy for a while there.

What was the Saintsational Board forumites’ views like in 2015-2018?
By the time I got here Jack Newnes was the whipping boy, having taken over from Mav Wellar.

Was Dunny always held in this regard? Poor kicker , good bloke etc.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Every player who gets delisted will have gripes and Dunstan is no different. He should have been cut years before and wont play many if any games for Melbourne unless they have some serious injuries. Gresham and Ross are the other two ball butchers who will need to show plenty in other parts of their games to maintain their position in the side.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 2:07pm
Sounds like Ratts didn’t support him but it can’t be that simple, surely. Still, he toiled away at Sandy for a while there.

By the time I got here Jack Newnes was the whipping boy, having taken over from Mav Wellar.

Dunstan has always enjoyed a fair degree of support on this forum but many had run out of patience with him by the start of last season.

His first game last year against Richmond was a stinker IMO and a few others… but then finally when he earned his deserved spot, he was actually playing pretty well and seeming proving the doubters wrong.

A very vocal minority popped surfaced with the ‘stick it to all you doubters - don’t bag Saints players’ mantra but regardless, questions remained both about his disposal and his incredibly peev’ish attitude.
He was publicly critical of the coaches and airing his laundry which was very uncomfortable and a bad look.

Regardless, he enjoyed heavy support until late in the season when it was becoming increasingly apparent he would be moved on and ppl started jumping off in waves…

Then the last few holdouts jumped off the Dunstan bandwagon in the Geelong game when he got pinged holding the ball saying that that moment cost us the game and proved he didn’t deserve a spot on the list

That mentality always made me laugh because the oh so righteous supporters that sunk the boots into any supporters for previously daring to question his disposal and attitude… suddenly felt it was ok to do so in droves on the back of one play in one game.
That game of course was not lost by missing easy shots at goal, or squandering opportunity… and Seb Ross failing to go up with his man in a marking contest up forward leading his opponent to take an uncontested mark and kick the match winner… well that wasn’t a problem. It was Luke’s fault for making an error under pressure

And it cost us finals… not the numerous easy games we dropped… it was that play.

So from Geelong onwards to now it’s ok to have cracks at his character and his disposal, ridicule etc
But for all those ppl that questioned those qualities over the last few season and felt it was best he be moved on… they’re not good supporters apparently.

I guess the stuff Luke is doing/saying now is only bad because he’s not a Saints player anymore

Personally, I’d have preferred to have kept him. It kind of irks me that he sat of the list for 5-6 mediocre years or whatever and then we cut him on the back of career best form.

IMO he’d offer us more then Hannebery will but unless he fixes his disposal… will always have been a back up

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Has every right to be pissed with the treatment he copped last season, I understand why being at the club would be stressful.

His poor disposal efficiency is one of the biggest myths going around that grew legs as people tried to justify his poor treatment. Every poor kick was highlighted while the many many more good ones ignored. Confirmation bias at its best.

Good luck to him at the Dees, he’ll probably make us look sillier than we already do.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Luke's skills better fit Rugba League. Perhaps hooker.

Did he seriously think about being a chippy. Don't they have to cut lengths of wood straight and be quick about it.

Courageous and really quick, strong hands in the clinches but as others have pointed out: decision making and kicking problematic.

Presume Dees see him getting the ball in packs and giving it to Petracca, Oliver, Langdon and Brayshaw - by hand.

Insight into Ratts not being such a soft touch, it seems.

damienc
Club Player

Yes. When he pulled his finger out and started showing a bit but in the end his liabilities outweighed his assets.

damienc
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 5:56pm Has every right to be pissed with the treatment he copped last season, I understand why being at the club would be stressful.

His poor disposal efficiency is one of the biggest myths going around that grew legs as people tried to justify his poor treatment. Every poor kick was highlighted while the many many more good ones ignored. Confirmation bias at its best.

Good luck to him at the Dees, he’ll probably make us look sillier than we already do.
We would have been idiotic to have kept him. His skill set was limited and his disposal was terrible. Move on. He has.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Hopefully, we've gone from a 'no dickheads' policy to a no 'can't kick' policy.

Peter Schwab once asked Alex Ferguson "what do you do with players who can't kick".

Ferguson's reply, "We don't have any players who can't kick".

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 3:48pm

Dunstan has always enjoyed a fair degree of support on this forum but many had run out of patience with him by the start of last season.

His first game last year against Richmond was a stinker IMO and a few others… but then finally when he earned his deserved spot, he was actually playing pretty well and seeming proving the doubters wrong.

A very vocal minority popped surfaced with the ‘stick it to all you doubters - don’t bag Saints players’ mantra but regardless, questions remained both about his disposal and his incredibly peev’ish attitude.
He was publicly critical of the coaches and airing his laundry which was very uncomfortable and a bad look.

Regardless, he enjoyed heavy support until late in the season when it was becoming increasingly apparent he would be moved on and ppl started jumping off in waves…

Then the last few holdouts jumped off the Dunstan bandwagon in the Geelong game when he got pinged holding the ball saying that that moment cost us the game and proved he didn’t deserve a spot on the list

That mentality always made me laugh because the oh so righteous supporters that sunk the boots into any supporters for previously daring to question his disposal and attitude… suddenly felt it was ok to do so in droves on the back of one play in one game.
That game of course was not lost by missing easy shots at goal, or squandering opportunity… and Seb Ross failing to go up with his man in a marking contest up forward leading his opponent to take an uncontested mark and kick the match winner… well that wasn’t a problem. It was Luke’s fault for making an error under pressure

And it cost us finals… not the numerous easy games we dropped… it was that play.

So from Geelong onwards to now it’s ok to have cracks at his character and his disposal, ridicule etc
But for all those ppl that questioned those qualities over the last few season and felt it was best he be moved on… they’re not good supporters apparently.

I guess the stuff Luke is doing/saying now is only bad because he’s not a Saints player anymore

Personally, I’d have preferred to have kept him. It kind of irks me that he sat of the list for 5-6 mediocre years or whatever and then we cut him on the back of career best form.

IMO he’d offer us more then Hannebery will but unless he fixes his disposal… will always have been a back up
Spot on post.
Regarding there being two sides of every story, Tony 74 came in here after Luke’s final game last year and made the observation that he would be shown the door because he didn’t follow team rules. More than just dodgy disposal at play me thinks.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

As a strict rule I don't bag StKilda players. I broke that rule the night Richmond absolutely caned us at Marvel last year, which happened to be Dunstan's first senior game for the season. At half-time I said to my daughter he should never play another senior game again, so poor was his disposal. It wasn't just his dinky little kicks without purpose but the laziness of them that even he seemed to acknowledge.

I had hoped the string of cracker games he PT together after being dropped again might have been his second wind. Alas, he slipped back into his old ways and never looked comfortable in the team. My initial hot-headed comments were correct as it proved.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 8:16pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 3:48pm

Spot on post.
Regarding there being two sides of every story, Tony 74 came in here after Luke’s final game last year and made the observation that he would be shown the door because he didn’t follow team rules. More than just dodgy disposal at play me thinks.
Indeed. What a great post from Skeptic. That is why I love this forum..fantastic stuff Skeptic and props to Trev from the Bush for being honest about bagging him.

So isn’t it strange, we have players like Lonie going to the VAFA and a player like Dunny going to the flag holders of the AFL!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 6:56pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 5:56pm Has every right to be pissed with the treatment he copped last season, I understand why being at the club would be stressful.

We would have been idiotic to have kept him. His skill set was limited and his disposal was terrible. Move on. He has.
I think that could be about a half dozen players you’re talking about who are still at the club, some in the leadership group…

Though none had multiple BOGs last year and easily scored the second more Brownlow votes for us…

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 1:14pm Dunstan's disposal was very poor when under NO PRESSURE...in space, with time, he would butcher his kicks, especially his delivery into forward 50. Often overshooting by many metres, sometimes grubbing the ball along the ground. He also fumbled below his knees and his handball was sloppy. Yes, he's tough and he can get the ball in stoppage situations, but what value is that if nothing proactive comes of it? Score assists? Almost zero. When Dunstan was involved in a chain, it often broke down.

Hitting targets is critical to setting up scoring opportunities. Missing them when in an advantageous position creates scoring opportunities for the opposition. With Dunstan, and players like him, the possessions add up to a net loss over a game. We've had far too many like him at St Kilda over the years and I'm glad that Ratten has seen it for the problem it is and has done something about it.

If players like Byrnes and Connolly ramp up their development, then Seb Ross will be nervously looking over his shoulder, too. Poor disposal can swing games, demoralize the team, and mean the difference between playing finals or not. So many times, in those losses of four goals or less, it's crappy disposal that's been the difference.
Perfectly put 👏🏻

Go you red, black & white warriors
B.M
Saintsational Legend

My biggest issue wasn’t his disposal- plenty of inside mid butchers in the AFL

It was the fact he was on an AFL list for 8 years and couldn’t run out of sight on a dark night!!!

Slow, and horrendous endurance for a midfielder.

Not all footballers begin AFL footy as good runners, but after 5 or so seasons have built a tank, built an AFL body and are seasoned pro athletes

Dunstan looked and ran like a suburban footballer

Maybe he should work with Gilbo, and play down at Bonbeach with him and Armo?!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I hope Dunny has a good year, Choco might be able to iron out some of his deficiencies, player development has never really been The Saints strong suit.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?