The 'St Kilda Trap'.. be carefl Sydney...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The 'St Kilda Trap'.. be carefl Sydney...

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: The 'St Kilda Trap'.. be carefl Sydney...

Yep that old bugger Higgens.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
lewdogs
Club Player

BJ loves to sink the boots into us these days doesn't he.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 3:11pm BJ loves to sink the boots into us these days doesn't he.
He is a life member of Essendope now.
I'm still waiting for the movie to come out. I wonder which Hollywood Hunk will portray him?
Maybe Daniel Craig?
There's a bit of James Bond about BJ.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Maybe.

Didn’t we recruit for backup as opposed to getting ahead of ourselves.

I think the decision to recruit BH and the price we paid has probably been a mistake.

Dunno

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 3:26pm Maybe.

I think the decision to recruit BH and the price we paid has probably been a mistake.

Dunno
BH was recruited the year before we got ahead of ourselves.
Maybe he was part of the reason we fast tracked ourselves to get into the position to get ahead of ourselves?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 3:35pm

Dunno
Maybe he was part of the reason we fast tracked ourselves to get into the position to get ahead of ourselves?
How did we get ourselves?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 3:52pm

Dunno
Don't know - we'll need to ask BJ who obviously recognized we were going to get ahead of ourselves and promptly left us to go to Essendope.
Interestngly I listened to him regularly on 774 when he was giving special comments with his 'mate' the Colonwood Legend Luke Ball.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 4:02pm

Dunno
Don't know - we'll need to ask BJ who obviously recognized we were going to get ahead of ourselves and promptly left us to go to Essendope.
Interestngly I listened to him regularly on 774 when he was giving special comments with his 'mate' the Colonwood Legend Luke Ball.
Ouch! :D

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Goddard is a flog and always has been. He over rated himself as a player and priced himself out of the club and the Dopers were stupid enough to pay him what he wanted. There would be no slow HBF on the $$$ he was asking even now. I never liked his blame everyone else attitude as a player and like him even less now. Chips Fisher should have been on more than Goddard, but Goddard thought he was entitled to the same as Riewoldt. Pelchen made him an offer he didnt like and has held a grudge against our club ever since.

If he had any idea about the game he would be highlighting, the reason we under performed this year were injuries/fitness. God I hope Eeendon fall flat on their face next year and karma bites him on the arse!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 4:14pm Goddard is a flog and always has been. He over rated himself as a player and priced himself out of the club and the Dopers were stupid enough to pay him what he wanted. There would be no slow HBF on the $$$ he was asking even now. I never liked his blame everyone else attitude as a player and like him even less now.

If he had any idea about the game he would be highlighting, the reason we under performed this year were injuries/fitness. God I hope Eeendon fall flat on their face next year and karma bites him on the arse!
I loved BJ when he played for us.
I was blinded to any of his faults until he became an Essendope player.

I loved Luke Ball when he played for us. I despise the way he engineered his way out of our Club to Colonwood.

I loved Nicky Dal when he played for us. I don't begrudge him going to NM. He never did/said anything that was disrespectful of/to St Kilda.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think we did get ahead of ourselves so much as having a season wrecked by injury.

What was it? One hundred and forty five games missed by best 22 players as opposed to Melbourne’s 24 games missed.

Something like that.

We were top of the injury ladder, they were bottom. Ok, injuries shouldn’t be encouraged as an excuse, but realistically there comes a tipping point and we reached it.

All that aside, our list still needs some work. We are light on for ruck depth. We need another genuine key defender (imo). And of course we could do with another elite midfielder. But things aren’t as bad as all that.

Footy’s a funny game. Next season if Essendon fails to progress everyone will be saying they got ahead of themselves

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It might be something to do with the way Brendon kicked into the man on the mark for Essendon, when kicking out from a behind with five seconds left on the clock. It allowed the Sydney forward to pounce on the ball, kick a goal and steal the game from Essendon.

I'm not sure exactly what it has to do with it, but maybe it is because he is being nice to Sydney at the expense of our pride, thereby showing he has gotten over his grudges whilst we wallow in our Tim Watsonesque lament.

And I'm not even sure it was Sydney in that game.. but I'm 110% certain, if you no what I mean. 200.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I don't have too much of an issue with accepting criticism of us getting ahead of ourselves because I think the COVID environment of 2020 was abnormal and clearly we adapted enough to play in a synthesised version of "the finals".

But we were massively off the pace before COVID started to effect the 2021 season and there is no hiding from that. I'd agree we are still 2 or 3 years away from being a top 4 side.

And to be fair you could argue COVID effected our normal pre season so there's that side of it too.

Hopefully we have a normal pre season and 2022 to get a real feel for where this list is at.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 4:14pm Goddard is a flog and always has been. He over rated himself as a player and priced himself out of the club and the Dopers were stupid enough to pay him what he wanted. There would be no slow HBF on the $$$ he was asking even now. I never liked his blame everyone else attitude as a player and like him even less now. Chips Fisher should have been on more than Goddard, but Goddard thought he was entitled to the same as Riewoldt. Pelchen made him an offer he didnt like and has held a grudge against our club ever since.

I don't know why the media loves him, he struggles to link sentences together and spoils Dal's Trade Radio show with his presence.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The old "getting ahead of oneself", "premiership window" and "years away" constructs are foolishness but give the SEN chaps stuff to speak to in the short spaces between the interminable betting and mattress adverts.

Ironic isn't it those guys don't seem to make fortunes betting on their opinions.

BJ is a good golfer. Perhaps could talk to Bryson Dechambeau about getting ahead of himself. Would be an interesting exchange. And BJ would know as much about the brains trust thinking at Saints as he does about Bryson.

All professionals and professional teams make optimistic targets and decisions full well understanding their limitations and risks.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 4:14pm Goddard is a flog and always has been. He over rated himself as a player and priced himself out of the club and the Dopers were stupid enough to pay him what he wanted. There would be no slow HBF on the $$$ he was asking even now. I never liked his blame everyone else attitude as a player and like him even less now. Chips Fisher should have been on more than Goddard, but Goddard thought he was entitled to the same as Riewoldt. Pelchen made him an offer he didnt like and has held a grudge against our club ever since.

Goddard was a top performer in GF's, where cream rises to the top!
Pelchen was either sent to stuff us up or is a moron.
If Riewoldt had've performed to BJ's standards in GF's we would now have 3 flags and a statue of him, Lenny and BJ.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Dunno
Sorry you got that one wrong, that's PREMIERSHIP player Luke Ball who was gift wrapped and sent to Collingwood by flagless master-coach Lyon!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 6:01pm

Dunno
Sorry you got that one wrong, that's PREMIERSHIP player Luke Ball who was gift wrapped and sent to Collingwood by flagless master-coach Lyon!
What a surprise!
You post in support of criticism of the Club
Is there anything StKilda has done in the last 20 years you agree with or support?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 6:04pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 6:01pm

Dunno
What a surprise!
You post in support of criticism of the Club
Is there anything StKilda has done in the last 20 years you agree with or support?
Lots, but don't have blind faith to defend the indefensible.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 5:33pm

I don't know why the media loves him, he struggles to link sentences together and spoils Dal's Trade Radio show with his presence.
I thought he was probably above average in the 'talking-to-the-radio/tv' department to be honest. He acts/ or is the 'cool' persona and hes got the chops to pull it off, partly based on the runs on the scoreboard through his talent and career.

I'm sure it is just a bit of a fluff story, but it does get stuck in the nostrils a tad.

May God save the queen, because nothing will save Sydney - or the Bulldogs, or Melbourne, when we play them in 2022..or someday there after!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to look at Melbourne. After the 2018 season they had about a dozen players who needed surgery and they weren't fit enough going into 2019. They got a new fitness guy after 2018 who said he needed two seasons to get them to the right level of fitness. Meanwhile, the media got stuck into them in 2019 after they had a poor season, including questioning the coach.

Then they added five players through trades and drafting (Pickett, Langdon, Brown, Bowey, and Jackson) and then had a dream run this year with injury. The blossoming of a couple of players helped, too.

Using their situation as a comparison, we need to get fitter and we need to add some quality. I think most on here agree we need a key defender, a quality mid, and another ruck. However, we don't have pick 3 like Melbourne did in 2019 when they picked up Jackson.

The other factor is that other teams like Carlton and Essendon may overtake us. Essendon cleaned up in last year's draft in it makes me sick in the guts to see them rise up the ladder

happy feet
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 6:42pm Interesting to look at Melbourne. After the 2018 season they had about a dozen players who needed surgery and they weren't fit enough going into 2019. They got a new fitness guy after 2018 who said he needed two seasons to get them to the right level of fitness. Meanwhile, the media got stuck into them in 2019 after they had a poor season, including questioning the coach.

Then they added five players through trades and drafting (Pickett, Langdon, Brown, Bowey, and Jackson) and then had a dream run this year with injury. The blossoming of a couple of players helped, too.

Using their situation as a comparison, we need to get fitter and we need to add some quality. I think most on here agree we need a key defender, a quality mid, and another ruck. However, we don't have pick 3 like Melbourne did in 2019 when they picked up Jackson.

The other factor is that other teams like Carlton and Essendon may overtake us. Essendon cleaned up in last year's draft in it makes me sick in the guts to see them rise up the ladder
I agree, rewarded for cheating with the number 1 draft pick after their drug cheating scandal.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Cheating is in their DNA. Salary cap cheating, drug cheating, trying to stitch up other clubs in trades. They know no other way

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I never liked his blame everyone else attitude

So...where do you think BJ learnt that? It was ok for his coach. It was ok for his captain

Players (i.e. individuals) more interested in themselves and a little extra cash rather than team success and getting that elusive second premiership for the club. Some of the player leadership were selfish and pretended to be ignorant of the TPP and salary cap rules.

The St Kilda football club was desperately in need of a leader to help everyone refocus. The leaders in the footy department and the board were negligent and incompetent.

Lenny Hayes should have been appointed as captain in 2012..and probably earlier
Mr Magic wrote: Tue 05 Oct 2021 4:24pm
I loved BJ when he played for us.
I was blinded to any of his faults until he became an Essendope player.

I loved Luke Ball when he played for us. I despise the way he engineered his way out of our Club to Colonwood.
And you probably loved the messiah Lyon who started the rot at our footy club be teaching his players that it's ok to be ruthless in your pursuit of winning. Don't worry if your mates and an ex club captain and a few injured players are discarded and delisted so that you can enjoy personal success. What a role model! What a fantastic culture!
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 05 Oct 2021 7:40pm, edited 1 time in total.