Fox Journo's Assessment of the Saints in 2021

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Fox Journo's Assessment of the Saints in 2021

I don't believe the Journo's quite nailed it when they assessed the Saints in 2021..
10. ST KILDA (10-12, 91.5%)

Three word analysis

Well below expectations

What went right

Jack Steele’s season was unbelievable and it’s hard to think of a more consistent player in the competition. The skipper has put himself right in Brownlow Medal contention and can hold his head high in a year where many teammates can’t. He’s only 21-years-old, but Max King looks to have launched himself to a new level this year. He looked like he was single-handedly going to win the Round 22 game against Geelong before injury curtailed him. Brad Hill had a mediocre start to the year but looked rejuvenated once moved to half-back around the time of the mid-season bye. They looked on song after the mid-season bye with three straight wins before the inconsistencies set in again. Brad Crouch had a great season after coming across from Adelaide and it was good to see Dan Hannebery get back on the park late.

What went wrong

They’ve coughed up big leads on more than one occasion, with Adelaide and Geelong the two glaring games that showcased how inconsistent the Saints’ form has been this year. They won just two of their first six games, which had them on the back foot for the entire season. They’ve been thumped on more than one occasion and the Dogs registered a 111-point win against them in Round 10. Inaccuracy in front of goal dogged them for patches of the year and there were several players whose form was a shadow of what it had once been, with Brad Hill and Dan Butler key among them in the first half of the year. They were barely able to get Paddy Ryder and Rowan Marshall fit and firing together this year and the reliance on that combo is concerning given their injury history and Ryder’s age. Dan Hannebery got back on the park as mentioned above but they made a huge investment in a player who has been unable to deliver given his injury setbacks.

What they need

St Kilda seems more likely to head to the draft this year after going hard on ready-made recruits at the trade table over the past two years. The list isn’t the problem as much as how it’s performing as a collective. The Saints need to cut out the lapses and re-establish a game plan that has defensive integrity. Too often this year we saw players ‘cheating’ forward and giving opponents alarmingly easy chances to score. It’s one thing to not be able to defend consistently but they can’t seem to score heavily too often either – they managed 100 points only twice. A good run with injury would help so they can get their best team on the park consistently, but we’ve seen this year how irresistible they can be when it’s all clicking.

What time is it on the premiership clock?

8pm: It probably should be closer to 10pm, but a few steps backwards with an ageing list this season gives a little cause for concern. With an experienced coach, this group of players should be aiming for a flag now. Whether they can achieve it remains questionable.

Season grade D-

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-ne ... a1c160e118

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fox Journo's Assessment of the Saints in 2021

Wasnt far wrong in the assessment but C- is more appropriate considering we did beat some highly credentialed teams in the back half

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Geez. I thought our inconsistency was pretty consistent. An A for inconsistent, I reckon.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lots of injuries

Shallow list

saintkev
Club Player

Lack of accountability from some highly paid imports and senior players.

Winmar7
Club Player

'Aging list' oh please, do some proper analysis Fox news journalist

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 01 Sep 2021 10:19pmWhat time is it on the premiership clock?
The most pointless measure since the premiership window.

With free agency and contracted players ability to freely switch clubs now, this can turn around quite quickly.
Checkout Sydney and Essendon this season.
We turned it around in 2020 to play finals.
Where were we on the "clock" at the end of 2019?
Where were Sydney and Essendon on the "clock" at the end of 2020? Where was Melbourne?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 1:41pm

With free agency and contracted players ability to freely switch clubs now, this can turn around quite quickly.
Where were Sydney and Essendon on the "clock" at the end of 2020? Where was Melbourne?
Wasn't the "clock" a Mick Milkshake term, had a bit more merit than the Ox is slow.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

In my opinion a touch harsh once injuries were acknowledged. If the writer genuinely believes it an ageing list ADD said injuries PLUS draw and finishing position was about right.

A touch lazy in that no mention of Sinclair & Highmore. Much greater positives than Hill off half back.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 1:48pm

Wasn't the "clock" a Mick Milkshake term, had a bit more merit than the Ox is slow.
I think the "window" was a Malthouse term.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I watched footy classified last week (don't usually watch it all that often - usually I watch those shows after a St Kilda win and, of course, no mention of the saints that night after beating freo). Anyway, they flashed back to when Gawn came to training with a mohawk and they said that Gawn as captain shouldn't be doing that sort of stuff when the demons were 17th on the ladder. This was some time in May 2020.

So it can turn around quickly.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think Essendon and the Swans have slowly built on where they were over the last few years and they haven’t ‘quickly’ turned things around as some people put it.

Apart from Hickey, I don’t think the Swans have brought in too many ready made recruits. Essendon did bring in Shiel, Stringer and some others like Hind, but I think their success was largely built on recruiting good young talent and the development of that talent.

Sydney have a great record over the last 20 years with development of young talent

Both clubs have done it differently to St Kilda, and I hope we don’t put all our eggs in the same ‘ready made’ basket again in the trade period.

I know that both just scraped into finals and both were knocked out in the first week, but I think there’s a fair bit more upside with their youngsters and their lists as whole versus ours.

Unless we find ourselves a couple of match winners like Stringer or a young star like Zach Bailey or perhaps an ooc player like Sheed or Luke Parker, we’re going to need a lot of luck to make finals in 2022
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 03 Sep 2021 1:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021 1:37am I think Essendon and the Swans have slowly built on where they were over the last few years and they haven’t ‘quickly’ turned things around as some people put it.

Both clubs have done it differently to St Kilda, and I hope we don’t put all our eggs in the same ‘ready made’ basket again in the trade period.

Apart from Hickey, I don’t think the Swans have brought in too many ready made recruits. Essendon did bring in Shiel, Stringer and some others like Hind, but I think their success was largely built on recruiting good young talent and the development of that talent. Sydney have a great record over the last 20 years with development of young talent

I know that both just scraped into finals and both were knocked out in the first week, but I think there’s a fair bit more upside with their young players and their lists as whole versus ours.
The thing about Sydney is Sam Reid is cooked, Buddy is nearing the end of his career, and if they trade McLean to the Saints, who are their Key Forwards post Buddy or when Buddy is injured ?

Sydney might have more holes than you think.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021 1:44am
Scollop wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021 1:37am I think Essendon and the Swans have slowly built on where they were over the last few years and they haven’t ‘quickly’ turned things around as some people put it.

Apart from Hickey, I don’t think the Swans have brought in too many ready made recruits. Essendon did bring in Shiel, Stringer and some others like Hind, but I think their success was largely built on recruiting good young talent and the development of that talent. Sydney have a great record over the last 20 years with development of young talent

I know that both just scraped into finals and both were knocked out in the first week, but I think there’s a fair bit more upside with their young players and their lists as whole versus ours.
The thing about Sydney is Sam Reid is cooked, Buddy is nearing the end of his career, and if they trade McLean to the Saints, who are their Key Forwards post Buddy or when Buddy is injured ?

Sydney might have more holes than you think.
Paddy McCartin?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 10:44pm
I watched footy classified last week (don't usually watch it all that often - usually I watch those shows after a St Kilda win and, of course, no mention of the saints that night after beating freo).
Yeah same here. They usually only mention the saints to give them a wack. Can't stand, Kero Caro, Eddie or that other shitbag. And I don't mean the younger ones, Lloyd or Cornes.
Last edited by saynta on Fri 03 Sep 2021 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Honestly, how many of you lot really thought we would go up the ladder this year?

And if so, on what basis?

Membrey kicked a few at the very end...but that was not at the point of what should have been our thrust. He was 25.25 at one point.
Wilkie getting pantsed down back second last? round - ouch, that means we are wounding because he is the best!

Emergence of new players from SA a shining light, and Sincs and that Steelo (Easy Clean, Instant Gleam) kept shining. Everything else went South.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!