Tony 74 please read

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Tony 74 please read

I'm not sure your exact role Tony but you clearly have some involvement at the club

I've posted this a number of times - but who is the goal kicking coach ? Why are they not introducing some kind of a routine ?

Our guys constantly spin the ball when they're walking in to kick for goal - Dunstan wasn't sure if he was still spinning or shooting at one point today

In the old days ( as I've posted before) they would line everything up lace to goal and walk in aiming for the middle of the sticks- the ball would be all lined up before they commence the walk in

And today many blokes from other teams still do that

We again were hopeless today at set shots and as usual guys are looking like the Harlem Globe Trotters spinning the ball as they walk in to shoot

Can someone PLEASE tell them to stop spinning the ball when they walk in ?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tony 74 please read

Yep drives me nuts
Surely a stable footy at the right angle on the point of impact gives you a better chance for a good outcome over spinning it madly while walking in to kick ??????
Plugger didn’t move ...

“Yeah….nah””
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021 6:50pm
Plugger didn’t move ...
Dunstall was praising Plugger's routine today - to the point of saying his routine made it almost impossible to mis-kick.

As further evidence - as a player picks up the ball and runs at goal - does he twirl the ball in his hands?? Snaps on difficult angles - these kids know how to do it - the silly twiddling looks more like they are 'thinking too hard' and it hurts - kick the f@rking thing through the big sticks - they are football players not twiddlers.
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Sat 17 Jul 2021 7:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Plugger did go at 70%

So he did miss 3 out of every ten.

He was a beautiful kick, good technique but also loads of ability and self confidence

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

You can lead a horse to water..........

Our horses are not mentally tough - assuming they are trying. Not a criticism because @Saints its family first, winning an after thought; members, well they will get the memo in due course.

Not too many in the change shed overly concerned with the loss today and what it means I would think. Good we have a happy and healthy work environment. Except for those few that go hard.

Nice flight to WA, nice flight back, miss a bit of lockdown. All sweet, can start planning the end season break.

See what happened to Hunter and DMac when you go hard. Glad that's not a team KPI or a mutual responsibility to those guys.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Jarryd Roughead has been the goal kicking coach this season

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021 7:17pm Plugger did go at 70%

He was a beautiful kick, good technique but also loads of ability and self confidence
I agree - but he managed 1,300 of the bl00dy things - lol - I know that we don't have stats on it - but how many of Pluggers went out on the full

From memory (I was a teen in the era) if he missed - he only just missed - not went at right angles - and I bet he had a much better % from 30 out directly in front.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Also, sychronised breathing at three-quarter time ...

Let's stop this new age malarkey once and for all.

Our final quarter record is abysmal.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021 8:39pm Also, sychronised breathing at three-quarter time ...

Malarkey was a good full back in his day. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Sanctorum
Club Player

I agree, twisting the ball incessantly in the hands when taking a set shot betrays a total lack of confidence in their skill to kick the bloody thing through the big sticks. When Callum Wilkie lined up to take his kick from pretty well straight in front I noticed he held the ball at an angle, and naturally slewed it through for a behind.

Taking set shots at goal is all about following a proven process, it's not rocket science!

No question, even though Port were inaccurate too, if St Kilda had kicked straight they would have won today.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The set shot misses were costly but so were the turnovers in the 4th quarter, there were a few butchers in the 4th, very frustrating.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

In today's stadiums, he'd be more like 80+%, with little wind and good surfaces.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Twirling the football appears to be lack of confidence, a doubt in their mind, like they are running in wishing they could kick it around their body.

I'll go as far to say they half arse practice kicking around their bodies more than walking straight in with a clean ball drop.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021 9:18pm

In today's stadiums, he'd be more like 80+%, with little wind and good surfaces.
He'd also be playing local footy because he couldn't keep up with the aerobic demands of AFL footy.

One advantage old school full forwards had is that they weren't gassing out from running up and down the field all day and defending. Heatley is another good example of a very accurate full forward who didn't waste his energy on frivolous things like defending or second efforts.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 12:36am

He'd also be playing local footy because he couldn't keep up with the aerobic demands of AFL footy.

One advantage old school full forwards had is that they weren't gassing out from running up and down the field all day and defending. Heatley is another good example of a very accurate full forward who didn't waste his energy on frivolous things like defending or second efforts.
Frightening prospect about the possibility of Plugger not being able to make it in today’s game.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021 8:57pm The set shot misses were costly but so were the turnovers in the 4th quarter, there were a few butchers in the 4th, very frustrating.
Even opposition supporters noticed that ball butcher Hill today. He was turning it over in the first quarter just as much as the last

Where is the passion? Where is the heart? Don't they know what that bloody crest means?

As far as goal kicking is concerned, it seems that assistant coaches and senior coaches keep telling us they TRUST a player to make the right decisions... I tell you what they should do and say to them. Give them simple instructions and tell them to stick to a disciplined routine. If you're not disciplined then you will suffer the consequences and play at Sandy

minneapolis
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021 8:43pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021 8:39pm Also, sychronised breathing at three-quarter time ...

Malarkey was a good full back in his day. :lol:
And he was hard to stop!

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021 6:48pm I'm not sure your exact role Tony but you clearly have some involvement at the club

I've posted this a number of times - but who is the goal kicking coach ? Why are they not introducing some kind of a routine ?

Our guys constantly spin the ball when they're walking in to kick for goal - Dunstan wasn't sure if he was still spinning or shooting at one point today

In the old days ( as I've posted before) they would line everything up lace to goal and walk in aiming for the middle of the sticks- the ball would be all lined up before they commence the walk in

And today many blokes from other teams still do that

We again were hopeless today at set shots and as usual guys are looking like the Harlem Globe Trotters spinning the ball as they walk in to shoot

Can someone PLEASE tell them to stop spinning the ball when they walk in ?
It drives me f****** crazy. Knew Dunstan would miss when I saw him doing that.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Wilkie looked pretty clueless with his shot too. Kent and Crouch should have both kicked it around the corner with their shots, a very high percentage play for the modern footballer, do neither of them have a right foot?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

T74 I have a message I would like passed on too:

"STOP RUINING MY LIFE"

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 11:49am T74 I have a message I would like passed on too:

"STOP RUINING MY LIFE"
+1

spiral3
Club Player

I think they do the ball spin thing to relax, take the pressure off.
I don't agree but I reckon that may be reasoning, to stay loose.
Kent's set shot was interesting, he had quite a pluggerish approach, low hunch over the ball. Still missed though, altough the ball went dead straight in flight.
Marshall needs to sort out his shots from straight in front, his career stats were very poor from that area.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I’m a long time lurker on here and I’ve never piled onto one of these “please tell the club posts”, so it’s a first time for me .

I’m adding my name to the list of supporters driven mad by the spinning of the ball while lining up for a set shot.

I honestly don’t care if the coaches do or don’t think it makes a difference. What I do know it’s not a great look, especially for a team with such a poor set shot record , and for that reason alone the feedback needs to go back to the club that supporters are doubly frustrated when they miss. If they look like they are lining everything up and following a steady run in , then at least it looks like they are giving themselves every chance to get it right.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

And a virtually new ball every time.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Also...Stop looking at the scoreboard at the countdown clock.
Focus on your routine and kick the bloody ball.