Zac Dawson AFL experiences and mental health + Richmond win!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Unpluggered
Club Player

Zac Dawson AFL experiences and mental health + Richmond win!

A win against the Tigers solves everything, doesn't it? Well, not really, but it's certainly a more positive vibe this week after dominating Richmond at the MCG.

Zac Dawson was a much maligned player during his time in the AFL across three clubs. He joins the Unpluggered Podcast to talk through his journey from media "whipping boy" to 166-game, four-time AFL Grand Finalist, who was twice named "Player of the Finals Series" for his club.

Some of his quotes around his experiences:

"Going through that kind of torment... the mental side of things really caught up with me by the end. I started to question why would I want to play footy anymore? Why am I doing this? I'm meant to be living my dream."

"I don't think I ever felt comfortable."

"Looking back on it, it's very lucky, I think, that I came out the other side. Who knows where my life might have gone - and that's the real worry..."

And on THAT 2009 GF moment:

"I would always back my judgement to get to those sort of contests throughout the year. I tried to go around his body without touching him (and giving away the freekick). I'd do it 100 times out of 100 if I had to do it again."

SPOTIFY: spoti.fi/33tLtSI
APPLE: apple.co/2CnLJqD
GOOGLE: bit.ly/unpluggeredgoogle
WEB: https://unpluggered.captivate.fm/episod ... zac-dawson
Last edited by Unpluggered on Sat 03 Jul 2021 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zac Dawson AFL experiences and mental health

Thanks but no thanks.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately for him I think he was maligned.

In my cartoon version of the story, I saw him over at Ross Lyon’s place having a barbie and later in the drawing room where Ross would reach up for his special bottle of Port and box of cigars as he turned to say, “Zac, my boy, you have got nothing to worry about. We’re gonna have ourselves a little game of drafts and then I’m gonna call Mr Axeman on the selection committee. Max Houghton’s days are over. You are the future Zac”

Everyone adores Max. Zac didn’t stand a chance. And of course, he played by the numbers, as instructed. Which doesn’t help for hero points.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 1:21pm Unfortunately for him I think he was maligned.

In my cartoon version of the story, I saw him over at Ross Lyon’s place having a barbie and later in the drawing room where Ross would reach up for his special bottle of Port and box of cigars as he turned to say, “Zac, my boy, you have got nothing to worry about. We’re gonna have ourselves a little game of drafts and then I’m gonna call Mr Axeman on the selection committee. Max Houghton’s days are over. You are the future Zac”

Everyone adores Max. Zac didn’t stand a chance. And of course, he played by the numbers, as instructed. Which doesn’t help for hero points.

Why the f*** would you drop Max and play a guy who had spent the night before in a hospital bed on a drip, in a grand final for f***'s sake.

More than just an error of judgment on the part of the Flosser Tosser, who by the way says he just forgot to play Ball in the last quarter of that match.

I was at the Dome the next morning and I can tell you Max was a shattered man.

No wonder Max and Ball headed over to the filth the next year which happened to cost the Saints a second flag.

I also can't forget or forgive the fact that Dawson handballed the footy to that mongrel Girlong full forward for the kick that was awarded a goal and which had hit the post so hard that the impact could be heard by those sitting behind the goal square,

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zac Dawson AFL experiences and mental health + Richmond win!

Hudghton wasn’t dropped from the GF, he didn’t play in the prelim

IIRC he didn’t play in the final series. He was brought back and in his last game he came off with an injury scare

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dawson was not fit to tie Max's shoelaces, let alone fill his spot at fullback FFS.

No one knows either way of course, but I'm of the firm opinion that with his total commitment, desire, love and passion for the Saints, there would have been a different outcome if Max had played that day.

Dawson was a mercenary, which was confirmed when he followed his master, like a good little puppy to Freo. Good riddance to both of them.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 2:07pm Hudghton wasn’t dropped from the GF, he didn’t play in the prelim

IIRC he didn’t play in the final series. He was brought back and in his last game he came off with an injury scare
The facts mean little to me.

In my story, Zac displaced Max. Of course the truth is subjective, and more than a little nuanced...but Max was one of my favorites..everyone's favorite. We knew he was injured and coming back...back Baker was picked with a lengthy suspension behind him and was barely top 22 when fit at that stage...I can't forgive Ross.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 2:49pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 2:07pm Hudghton wasn’t dropped from the GF, he didn’t play in the prelim

In my story, Zac displaced Max. Of course the truth is subjective, and more than a little nuanced...but Max was one of my favorites..everyone's favorite. We knew he was injured and coming back...back Baker was picked with a lengthy suspension behind him and was barely top 22 when fit at that stage...I can't forgive Ross.
Neither can I nor ever will I.

The real fact of the matter is Max was fit to play but was overlooked for a coach's favourite.

A terrible terrible injustice and one which cost us two years running.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 2:46pm Dawson was a mercenary, which was confirmed when he followed his master, like a good little puppy to Freo. Good riddance to both of them.
He actually goes into a fair bit of detail as to how this happened and what led to his departure.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 7:05pm
saynta wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 2:46pm Dawson was a mercenary, which was confirmed when he followed his master, like a good little puppy to Freo. Good riddance to both of them.
He actually goes into a fair bit of detail as to how this happened and what led to his departure.
I can’t see a way to judge. I’m sure Zac was a great fella who gave it is best, and I can identify with been labeled with the ‘rotten guy’. I once got picked for the U/14 cricket team at Hampton., I was hated. I displaced a guy who had a twin brother in the team. The brother gossiped. Everybody muttered. I played…nervous, badly I left the club.

But Maxy.. come on…how can you not remember his tears when we dropped that dogs game around ‘00 or ‘01. Another one of our St Kilda specials. Ya know, dem ones when we are up ten goals and still manage to lose.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I watched that play 100 times. It was the perfect spoil. Too perfect.

If the ball went the other way we had at least 3 players free.

Luck.

Max was done.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 2:59pm

The real fact of the matter is Max was fit to play but was overlooked for a coach's favourite.

I don’t think it would have made much difference tbh Saynta.

I think the big stuff up was playing Dempster in the forward line instead of Gwilt. Even then.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 10:18pm

I don’t think it would have made much difference tbh Saynta.

I think the big stuff up was playing Dempster in the forward line instead of Gwilt. Even then.
I would have been willing to bet that Max would not have handballed to Hawkins in the goal square.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 10:14pm I watched that play 100 times. It was the perfect spoil. Too perfect.

Luck.

Max was done.
I think you’re 100% right on both counts.

IMO it’s absurd to lay the blame of the result on the outcome of 1-2 contests in a game that went the way it did. Really quite low to scapegoat and finger point at someone that way. Low character.
The one group of ppl in the team that deserve the least amount of blame on the day we’re the defenders who IMO collectively beat their forwards.

On Max, by that stage he wasn’t making it through games without injury. That’s why he lost his spot in the first place. Maxy was my fav, but it would have been a hell of a gamble to play, especially following a month off football since his last game. I’m far from an RL fan but that’s a decision that that’s easily justifiable.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 04 Jul 2021 12:13am
SaintPav wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 10:14pm I watched that play 100 times. It was the perfect spoil. Too perfect.

Luck.

Max was done.

IMO it’s absurd to lay the blame of the result on the outcome of 1-2 contests in a game that went the way it did. Really quite low to scapegoat and finger point at someone that way. Low character.
The one group of ppl in the team that deserve the least amount of blame on the day we’re the defenders who IMO collectively beat their forwards.

On Max, by that stage he wasn’t making it through games without injury. That’s why he lost his spot in the first place. Maxy was my fav, but it would have been a hell of a gamble to play, especially following a month off football since his last game. I’m far from an RL fan but that’s a decision that that’s easily justifiable.
Yep agree with this. And as Pav said, the ball bounces in the other direction and a different outcome.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 04 Jul 2021 9:05am
skeptic wrote: Sun 04 Jul 2021 12:13am

Luck.

Max was done.

Yep agree with this. And as Pav said, the ball bounces in the other direction and a different outcome.
Some posters have their heads buried so far it is no longer a joke. Playing Max would have been less of a gamble than playing a VFL standard footballer who had been on a drip in hospital overnight.

And at the risk of repeating myself, Max would not have handballed to that flog Hawkins in the goal square either.

Betting it would have been a different outcome if Ball hadn't been overlooked by the tosser in the last quarter either.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Both had the same defect - they rarely took contested marks. The punch away was their MO. Max was well past it - not only in age but in the move to much taller players in the last line of defence. Zac was 197cm and Max 191cm. Today, our FB is 199cm tall. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong in 2009. Captain injured at training, weather just wet enough to reduce our marking edge, our wasteful forward kicks in 1st half, them hitting the post and being given a goal, Chapman slightly tearing hammy but not enough to see him leave the ground and then the fluke fly kick.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Absolute rubbish, Max played 7 games in 2009 and was cooked. Yes he was a wonderful player for us but he was done.

Zac won player of the finals for his club (2010 and 2014)

His record for how many goals he had kicked on him was exemplary (I have tried to google stats)

In 2009 Max last game was 5 weeks before the GF and he only had played 7 for the year (a huge gamble to bring him back against a huge Hawkins)

Anyway don’t let the facts get in the way of your blinkered memories

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 04 Jul 2021 12:31pm

Absolute rubbish, Max played 7 games in 2009 and was cooked. Yes he was a wonderful player for us but he was done.

Zac won player of the finals for his club (2010 and 2014)

His record for how many goals he had kicked on him was exemplary (I have tried to google stats)

In 2009 Max last game was 5 weeks before the GF and he only had played 7 for the year (a huge gamble to bring him back against a huge Hawkins)

Anyway don’t let the facts get in the way of your blinkered memories
Spot on

It’s even weirder when you consider the plethora of easy misses at goal, bad umpiring and just bizarre coaching and it’s mind boggling that a rationale person can conclude that Dawson was the problem.

But then I remember that this particular forumite hates Jamie Shannahan because he blames him and only him for 1997.

Interesting psychology to specifically target the defenders.

As has been mentioned earlier… in that last game, Hudghton lost his spot because he reinjured his calf (I think) again. He wasn’t getting through games unscathed.

The finger pointing is embarrassing

The Peanut
Club Player

... and here is me that thought this was a thread about Zac Dawson etc

Well, I often hope that players don't ever check this page out - so many posters use it run players down and Zac Dawson was targeted by many.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Dawson was played out of position IMO.

He is not a fullback. He should be your second or third tall defender.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 04 Jul 2021 3:50pm Dawson was played out of position IMO.

He is not a fullback. He should be your second or third tall defender.
Or played in the reserves. Or what passes for the VFL these days.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

These Max haters seemto ignore the fact that he was fit to play in the grandfinal and was devastated that he was overlooked for a much.less talented footballer.

Pretty piss poor that some posters are prepared to ignore forum rules and denigrate a poster instead of just commentating on the posts.

Only to be expected though.🤨🤨

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think everyone has acknowledged he was fit to play Saynta… just that he hadn’t been playing and was injury prone at that point.

It’s not hating. Hating is when you’re making it personal like what you’re doing with Zac.

As for your classic playing the victim mentality, don’t have a crack then cry foul when ppl shut you down. It’s pathetic.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 04 Jul 2021 4:06pm
Pretty piss poor that some posters are prepared to ignore forum rules and denigrate a poster instead of just commentating on the posts.

Only to be expected though.🤨🤨
As distinct from generally slandering everyone who doesn't agree with you
"Some posters have their heads buried so far it is no longer a joke."