This is so correct

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

This is so correct

saint4life
The Recruit
Club Player

Re: This is so correct

Paywall
Copy paste

I also know a coach that undid Carlton pretty quick

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Why fitness and recent recruitment are two key factors behind St Kilda’s freefall
Mick Malthouse and Saints go back a long way, so it pains him with St Kilda’s capitulation this year as he tees off at two critical areas which are they undoing.

Mick Malthouse
5 min read
May 29, 2021 - 1:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
11 comments
Play
Mute
Current Time 0:10
/
Duration 0:21
Fullscreen
AFL: Nick Riewoldt gave an impassioned speech about his former club, and how he was worried about the hunger of their new recruits.
I have a real soft spot for the Saints. It is the club that gave me my chance to play VFL football in 1972.

In my first years I boarded with a couple of St Kilda-mad families who taught me a lot about the club. But mostly, that excitement has been short lived.

St Kilda had a very good team in 1971 and played in that year’s Grand Final against Hawthorn. It meant I was fortunate enough to play finals in my first year of football. I was injured for the 1973 finals campaign.

When the Saints fell off the pace, they really fell off — 18 years without another finals appearance.

Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

The Saints have fallen off the cliff this year, with fitness and attitude identified as two key areas responsible for their slide.
The Saints have fallen off the cliff this year, with fitness and attitude identified as two key areas responsible for their slide.
That unfortunate trend has continued. It takes St Kilda a long time to recover from a poor season. There is no quick rebound.

The Saints played off in the 2009 and 2010 Grand Finals. They finished seventh in 2011.

And it took them until last year to get back into the final eight.

St Kilda president Andrew Bassat has already written off finals this year.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Watch new drama Mare of Easttown on BINGE New customers get a 14 Day Free Trial

Through all of this, it’s the supporters who suffer.

With the names that are at this football club, there should be far more tough victories and honourable losses. Not the capitulation that we have seen alarmingly too often at the Saints this year.

I have watched St Kilda closely and there are two big reasons for its inconsistent form — recruiting and fitness.

The Saints have 15 players from other clubs on their list, but not all of them have performed anywhere near expectations. Those responsible for that have sadly let the club down.

I have a feeling St Kilda wants to be part of the big league by getting big-name players through the door, without looking hard enough at why you would recruit them.

Throughout history, the Saints’ best players have been their own, and they’ve had some rippers.

Perhaps the greatest full-forward ever, Tony Lockett. Two-time Brownlow medallist, Robert Harvey.

Brad Crouch’s slowless has only compounded issues in the midfield.
Brad Crouch’s slowless has only compounded issues in the midfield.
Brad Hill has struggled to live up to expectations at the club.
Brad Hill has struggled to live up to expectations at the club.
One of the greatest ever key forwards, Nick Riewoldt. Nathan Burke. Danny Frawley. Lenny Hayes. The list goes on.

The most recent recruits, in isolation, don’t stack up well.

Dan Hannebery, 30, has been a disaster. He arrived injured from Sydney and apart from last season’s eight games, he has remained injured.

It’s beyond me why St Kilda’s medical and football admin staff would think that they could do better with Hannebery than the Swans’ medicos?

Brad Crouch is a slow midfielder recruited to “bolster” the Saints’ midfield which already has Seb Ross, who lacks speed, and Jack Steele who is a hard worker but not overly quick. That move has just compounded St Kilda’s midfield problems.

Brad Hill came as an outside runner with exceptional delivery skills, but sadly there is no evidence that Hill is anything but an ordinary deliverer of the football, and he struggles to win a one-on-one contest.

Jack Higgins hasn’t been able to sustain the lofty heights he experienced with the Tigers.
Jack Higgins hasn’t been able to sustain the lofty heights he experienced with the Tigers.
He fell on the Saints’ doorstep because he wanted to move to Victoria. But the fact that Hawthorn and Fremantle don’t miss him makes it even more embarrassing that St Kilda can’t find a position for him that justifies his wage.

Both Dan Butler and Jack Higgins are in the same class. They are products of the fantastic Richmond juggernaut. But as with any powerhouse, individuals are exposed when they are removed from the brilliance of the teammates around them.

Butler’s 19 games for 29 goals last year was fine, but he and Higgins haven’t been able to sustain those top level efforts, a lack of consistency dogging them at Tigerland and now at the Saints.

The pair has played every game this year and combined for just 25 goals.

And why did they need to recruit three small forwards (including Dean Kent from Melbourne)?

Zak Jones has given St Kilda something it didn’t have — great pace. And there is no question about his endeavour. But he had soft tissues injuries at Sydney which have persisted at St Kilda.

James Frawley’s body is no longer capable of pushing it the way he did at Melbourne and Hawthorn.

Neither, former North Melbourne forward Mason Wood who struggled to get a game with the bottom club.

On the plus side, in late 2014 Tim Membrey came from Sydney and has been a highly reliable pick. Jack Steele was recruited from Greater Western Sydney in 2016 and has been outstanding.

Dougal Howard from Port Adelaide is one player the Saints desperately needed and he has delivered.

And Paddy Ryder, also from the Power, has been a fantastic back-up for Rowan Marshall, filling the key role while Marshall has been injured.

The Dan Hannebery signing has been nothing short of a disaster, which the former Swan struggling to overcome injuries.
The Dan Hannebery signing has been nothing short of a disaster, which the former Swan struggling to overcome injuries.
So the Saints have become overloaded with injured types and players who can’t win one-on-one football, at a huge financial cost to the club. It’s almost like: “Hey, we’ve got room, let’s get a name”, as opposed to: “Let’s look at what we really need.”

Recent recruitment has set St Kilda back years.

Fitness, concentration, consistency are the other issues.

The Saints’ highest score this season is 19.14 (128) in its Round 7 win over Hawthorn. It has also posted paltry scores of 48, 39, 47 and 33 points, three of those under the Marvel Stadium roof. On the flip side it has allowed scores against of 144 (Western Bulldogs), 143 (Essendon) and 134 (Richmond). The result is it had the second-worst percentage in the league after Round 10 — 72.6 per cent.

Most teams suffer at least one belting a season. But St Kilda has endured four defeats of nine goals or more already.

Remarkably, the Saints twice rebounded from a flogging with a win. It says a lot about their mindset and, more importantly, about their fitness.

Time and time again in those big losses the opposition’s midfield and wingers were between 10 and 35m in front of the lagging, hands-on-knees Saints’ midfielders, with the exception of Steele.

Brett Ratten needs to abandon his habit of coaching from the sidelines.
Brett Ratten needs to abandon his habit of coaching from the sidelines.
There’s only two reasons that stop players running — attitude and fitness. Having gone over last week’s game I am convinced that what I saw in the previous nine rounds is a complete lack of AFL baseline conditioning. St Kilda players cannot give a second or third effort. They are being outrun, out-defended and outscored.

The worry for the Saints is that young players like Max King, Josh Battle, Hunter Clark, Nick Coffield and Ben Paton deserve far better. They are not receiving the right preparation for league football.

Coach Brett Ratten did a wonderful job last year and you can tell that he is totally engrossed in trying to lift the Saints’ form.

My only criticism of Ratten is his habit of coaching from the sidelines. That only gives you a 30 to 40m square view of the ground.

You cannot possibly see the trends and idiosyncrasies, or full ball movement, unless you are sitting high in the coaches’ box.

It is very hard to coach a full game from the bench.

The coach will always get it in the neck, but the way I’m seeing the situation is it’s not his fault that they are 14th with a 4-6 record.

Poor recruitment and poor fitness can hide behind the senior coach in times of turmoil. And then become the reason for victory when they are winning.

These people need to stand up and admit they’ve got things wrong and take responsibility for the Saints to have any chance of moving forward.
Last edited by chook23 on Sat 29 May 2021 8:51pm, edited 3 times in total.

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 8:40pm Paywall
Copy paste

I also know a coach that undid Carlton pretty quick
He may well have....

BUT many many of his points/observations in this article are TRUE

saint4life
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Malthusian is correct. I think Crouch is a good pick up and Higgins will be.
The fitness issues are now plain to see.
We look tired in the first quarter of games

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Watch the energy of Ben King vs Max....that's as clear a comparison as is scientifically possible.
Max looks floppy and apathetic...Ben looks almost ADHD

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Malthouse reluctant for understandable reasons to lay too much blame on Ratten.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 8:57pm Malthusian is correct. I think Crouch is a good pick up and Higgins will be.

They lack fitness but 2 games ago not only ran with Geelong but tackled ferociously, unfit clubs can't do that....you're wrong just like your mate Malty

Banger9798
SS Life Member

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 9:07pm
Banger9798 wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 8:57pm Malthusian is correct. I think Crouch is a good pick up and Higgins will be.

They lack fitness but 2 games ago not only ran with Geelong but tackled ferociously, unfit clubs can't do that....you're wrong just like your mate Malty

You can't do it 1 game in every 3.
That's what strong fitness base gives, the capacity to back up week after week.
Sinclair, Membrey, Billings and Steele are AFL fit.

King, Coffiled, are so far off it. Watch Kings brother for GCS for the comparison, second and third efforts.

I think Mick Malthouse might know a few things about footy by now mate. And I think he might be able to spot a team that is under done

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I blame Richo

Saintly66
Club Player

Hahaha I remember I was scolded by so called experts on here ages ago when I said Mick didn’t hate St Kilda 😂😂. We’d do well with him down at Moorabbin in some kind of mentor role if needed.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 9:30pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 9:07pm

You can't do it 1 game in every 3.
That's what strong fitness base gives, the capacity to back up week after week.
Sinclair, Membrey, Billings and Steele are AFL fit.

King, Coffiled, are so far off it. Watch Kings brother for GCS for the comparison, second and third efforts.

I think Mick Malthouse might know a few things about footy by now mate. And I think he might be able to spot a team that is under done
I don't have a degree in fitness. But how can a team be underdone and unfit this week but next week play like a team possessed? Then...the next week not so much?
Fit, then not fit, then fit....you either are or aren't fit.

Its the psychological aspect that it hindering our lads overall 110%.

That said there are a few unfit lads but not the whole team.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Physical fitness and Mental strength go hand in hand.

Who didn't notice something wrong in the Essendon game?
Listless and flat footed.
We had won the week before, and it was the Danny Frawley game etc....we all thought it was an aberration....it wasn't.
We look good when we put in effort, no doubt, and we look bad when the heads drop and we kick 1 goal 9 behinds etc, but we clearly do not have the zip or stamina that we had last year or other teams (even North) has this year

BadRossco
Club Player

Mick was on to money, would like to see him involved in our recruiting instead of the clowns we have now

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree with MM!

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Fairly correct

I reckon harsh on crouch and Higgins tho. Crouch is settling and he actually been one of our better players

Hannas and Hill tho have been incredibly disappointing

King needs to find touch in the twos - poor bastard has lost it over the shoulders

#1 Ryder fan
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

This is going to be a certified legendary thread after we bounce back in the 2nd half of the season and make finals

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Winmore
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 10:24pm This is going to be a certified legendary thread after we bounce back in the 2nd half of the season and make finals
The only way that will happen is if the teams above us have a sudden outbreak of polio. Even then...

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

MC Gusto wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 10:16pm Fairly correct

I reckon harsh on crouch and Higgins tho. Crouch is settling and he actually been one of our better players

Hannas and Hill tho have been incredibly disappointing

King needs to find touch in the twos - poor bastard has lost it over the shoulders
Crouch's numbers like Pressure Acts n Disposals have been up at top 2 or 3 in each game.
Hr actually wants to get in there and make a difference.
If the others (apart from Steele) had half of his desire, we'd never have been thrashed.
Yep, I agree on Crouch

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
silverhalo
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 8:59pm Watch the energy of Ben King vs Max....that's as clear a comparison as is scientifically possible.
That to me is a confidence issue as opposed to lack of fitness

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintly66 wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 9:43pm Hahaha I remember I was scolded by so called experts on here ages ago when I said Mick didn’t hate St Kilda 😂😂. We’d do well with him down at Moorabbin in some kind of mentor role if needed.
I think he does hate St Kilda, and the proof is in his self confessed love, before kicking us in the guts.....again. The turd protests too much, one might say.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Whilst some of the assertions and conclusions in this article are debatable, I have always been a great admirer of Mick Malthouse as player and coach, he has that crucial "take no prisoners" approach to football success and player management - you either measure up or we'll ship you out!

Both Footscray and Melbourne have surpassed St Kilda emphatically in 2021 when many pundits believed the Saints would build on the success achieved in 2020.

Much as it goes against my grain, I am really disappointed to have reached the conclusion in recent times that the current St Kilda playing list is very unlikely to contend for that elusive 2nd premiership trophy and that the Board must acknowledge this, if not publicly, at least amongst themselves, and start planning to identify a new roadmap to success.

Andrew Bassat should sit down for a coffee and chat with Mick and if he's available engage him to do a complete review of St Kilda's football department, top to bottom. The way things are going right now I have little faith that the cultural change that needs to happen at our club won't eventuate.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The key thing for me is his observation around fitness. It's something a lot of us suspected. To me, it's clear that something went awry with the pre-season planning and it's affecting our ability to adhere to the game plan. We put in a huge effort against GWS, started well against Melbourne and then started running through treacle half way through the second quarter. The alarm bells went off for me at that moment. the second quarter of the second game and we looked shockingly leg weary. The will was there but the fatigue was too much to overcome.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 1:30pm Whilst some of the assertions and conclusions in this article are debatable, I have always been a great admirer of Mick Malthouse as player and coach, he has that crucial "take no prisoners" approach to football success and player management - you either measure up or we'll ship you out!

Both Footscray and Melbourne have surpassed St Kilda emphatically in 2021 when many pundits believed the Saints would build on the success achieved in 2020.

Much as it goes against my grain, I am really disappointed to have reached the conclusion in recent times that the current St Kilda playing list is very unlikely to contend for that elusive 2nd premiership trophy and that the Board must acknowledge this, if not publicly, at least amongst themselves, and start planning to identify a new roadmap to success.

Andrew Bassat should sit down for a coffee and chat with Mick and if he's available engage him to do a complete review of St Kilda's football department, top to bottom. The way things are going right now I have little faith that the cultural change that needs to happen at our club won't eventuate.
Any respect, and there was very little, I might add, that I might have had for that turd Micky Milkshake was lost forever when he called Milney a rapist. Or have you all forgotten that really pathetic performance?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 8:59pm Watch the energy of Ben King vs Max....that's as clear a comparison as is scientifically possible.
I agree they dont compare