Same team next week..?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Same team next week..?

.....when we play Geelong on Friday?

Worried about RoMa.

Our forward line missed Jack Lonie today??

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Same team next week..?

Ross IN
Wood OUT.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 5:52pm .....when we play Geelong on Friday?

Worried about RoMa.

Whoa you're kidding about Lonie. He's definitely not required.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Ross to come in for Wood not sure on Marshall I don't think its his foot seem to have his whole calf taped. I could be wrong maybe that is how you strap a planta facia(don't know how to spell it )injury. Had a fair few players down but I don't think the axe will be swinging too much next week but will be a very challenging game . It will be interesting to see how we go . I would be happy with an honourable loss but a blow out could be a possibility if we don't come to play.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 5:52pm .....when we play Geelong on Friday?

Worried about RoMa.

Our forward line missed
... a lot of scoring opportunities, but seeing as we hit the post 5 times, we were probably just a bit unlucky for some of them.

I think Marshall will be okay. Metricon (Gold Coast) Stadium is a big ground, he was probably just a bit sore right at the end there. He came back on, so all good.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 6:09pm Ross to come in for Wood not sure on Marshall I don't think its his foot seem to have his whole calf taped. I could be wrong maybe that is how you strap a planta facia(don't know how to spell it )injury. Had a fair few players down but I don't think the axe will be swinging too much next week but will be a very challenging game . It will be interesting to see how we go . I would be happy with an honourable loss but a blow out could be a possibility if we don't come to play.
That's just a shin guard for his ruck work!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 6:11pm

Worried about RoMa.

Our forward line missed
... a lot of scoring opportunities, but seeing as we hit the post 5 times, we were probably just a bit unlucky for some of them.

I think Marshall will be okay. Metricon (Gold Coast) Stadium is a big ground, he was probably just a bit sore right at the end there. He came back on, so all good.
He was so slow getting upright after a contest there in the last..I wondered whether he was only on the field in ‘low energy mode’ there at the end, with Membrey becoming more the big mobile man.

Re Lonie, I know many hate the sight of him, but in the first half our forward efficiency was terrible...they stacked on Maxy and we duly delivered - to their destroyers. Where was Butler? I thought Lonie could have crumbed a few goals today..Yes, I agree he has struggled to make an impact and I wouldn’t suggest Butler gets chopped (yet)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bring back Ross for Wood.

We weren’t great today but GC aren’t a bad team and I reckon if Witts played we may have lost.

Any chance we can lure Sam Collins to the club? He could play at Full back and Howard could play that floating defender role.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 6:24pm
bangaulegend wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 6:09pm Ross to come in for Wood not sure on Marshall I don't think its his foot seem to have his whole calf taped. I could be wrong maybe that is how you strap a planta facia(don't know how to spell it )injury. Had a fair few players down but I don't think the axe will be swinging too much next week but will be a very challenging game . It will be interesting to see how we go . I would be happy with an honourable loss but a blow out could be a possibility if we don't come to play.
That's just a shin guard for his ruck work!
:oops:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A wins a win but by golly our slow ball movement is stoggy football. If they cant lift our energy and momentum they will get flogged against the Cats.

Coffield & others get exposed for their lack of speed far too regularly. When Coffield is not taking intercept marks he is a liability down back IMO.

I understand it was a warm day today but too many of our blokes looked like they were running in sand. Plus how many easy marks did they drop...

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If the same two teams play Friday that turned up this weekend then it could be a very ugly night!

Swapping 8.15 for 15.8 would be nice!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

One would think so minus Ross coming back for Wood and any forced changes

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ross in wood out
No to Lonie

“Yeah….nah””
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 8:25pm Ross in wood out
No to Lonie
+1

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Mmnn...

Consensus on SEN seems to be we played like crap...a bottom 6 team..and that it was a lame effort all around..
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/08/ ... onfidence/

Of course, we know better I know...

But boy, our forward set up was crap for most of the match with Membrey not firing, Butler missing in action, and Maxy getting swamped as usual.

Geelong have played with a mixed-personality disorder for most of the season so far..so we have to get them off guard, and keepchangin* so the6 don’t switch to plan b and c , which is something they seem to be able to do.

lewdogs
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 8:50pm Mmnn...

Consensus on SEN seems to be we played like crap...a bottom 6 team..and that it was a lame effort all around..

But boy, our forward set up was crap for most of the match with Membrey not firing, Butler missing in action, and Maxy getting swamped as usual.

Geelong have played with a mixed-personality disorder for most of the season so far..so we have to get them off guard, and keepchangin* so the6 don’t switch to plan b and c , which is something they seem to be able to do.
The talk all week was about how good Gold Coast are. They were favourites to win the game.

Winning ugly is an important part of football. If it was a side like Geelong getting that win, they'd be praised. Even the Bulldogs.

It wasn't a pretty performance, but to come back when the season looked dead at three quarter time took guts and skill. Couldn't give a hoot what the media says, it was a good win.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 9:03pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 8:50pm Mmnn...

The talk all week was about how good Gold Coast are. They were favourites to win the game.

Winning ugly is an important part of football. If it was a side like Geelong getting that win, they'd be praised. Even the Bulldogs.

It wasn't a pretty performance, but to come back when the season looked dead at three quarter time took guts and skill. Couldn't give a hoot what the media says, it was a good win.
Agree 100.

Yes, GC were touted as decent all week, and favourites.

I am always weary of the ‘gutsy win’ cliche however. Last time we beat GWS and look what happened after that?

We know of course.

lewdogs
Club Player

In terms of the team, Ross clearly comes in for Wood. I reckon Highmore would be pretty close to taking Coffield's spot too.

Marshall looked like he might need a rest.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 8:50pm But boy, our forward set up was crap for most of the match with Membrey not firing, Butler missing in action, and Maxy getting swamped as usual.
Yes, we’ve got to do something about that.

Mix it up a bit. Move him up to the wing or out to CHF for a while.

He’ll drag about three big defenders up with him. And then we can try to isolate Membrey or Marshall deep or give Butler and Higgins a bit of space out the back.

But the main thing is to mix it up, because it is getting predictable and easy to counter.

Also, King needs to learn to present on the lead. He’s very quick and once he’s out in front - with his reach - no defender is going to get around him.

bullmarket
Club Player

God Help us :shock: :shock: :shock:

No doubt Lonie would have contributed to his usual standard -ie. sweet FA :oops: and driven more than a few of us to resort to strong drink earlier in the day than we otherwise might have :wink: :lol:

Nothing like a slow very small forward, who can't kick goals to lift a team that was already struggling. :roll: :roll:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Ross, Dmac in, Wood, Butler out.

older saint
SS Life Member

In : Ross
Out: Wood

Sub Mckenzie

older saint
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Sun 09 May 2021 3:57am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 8:50pm But boy, our forward set up was crap for most of the match with Membrey not firing, Butler missing in action, and Maxy getting swamped as usual.
Yes, we’ve got to do something about that.

Mix it up a bit. Move him up to the wing or out to CHF for a while.

He’ll drag about three big defenders up with him. And then we can try to isolate Membrey or Marshall deep or give Butler and Higgins a bit of space out the back.

But the main thing is to mix it up, because it is getting predictable and easy to counter.

Also, King needs to learn to present on the lead. He’s very quick and once he’s out in front - with his reach - no defender is going to get around him.
Agree to some extent but the entries were poor also often helicopter kicks which are easy to spoil and hard to mark.
King is still young and building a tank but he needs to hit up more than just keep looking for the over the back. Possibly too top heavy also with Battle and Marshall drifting in there also so when it hit the ground very little space. Battle needs to watch Ryder and the last qtr goal, ended up out of marking contest so instead of just still flying, stepped off the pack and played like a crumber, very smart play.

Forwards needs to work smarter but delivery in first half was like 2018 bomb squad.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Really don’t think Roma will play

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Marshall would be a huge out. To maintain structure we'd probably have to bring in McKernan. Marshall and Wood for McKernan and Ross