Carlisles exceptional link handballs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

Carlisles exceptional link handballs

Something I noticed watching the game is how good Carlisle is around the stoppage with his silky quick and aware handballing. A number of times when in the ruck he linked up with runners by hand which eventually led to breakaway goals. Having been a defender for so long always looking for running backs when hes under pressure hes really mastered quick hands and seems to be much better at this then most rucks in the comp. I think he could develop into a really good second ruck and forward over the next 2 seasons. We are a better team with him in no doubt.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlisles exceptional link handballs

Saint_Singapore wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021 2:58am Something I noticed watching the game is how good Carlisle is around the stoppage with his silky quick and aware handballing. A number of times when in the ruck he linked up with runners by hand which eventually led to breakaway goals. Having been a defender for so long always looking for running backs when hes under pressure hes really mastered quick hands and seems to be much better at this then most rucks in the comp. I think he could develop into a really good second ruck and forward over the next 2 seasons. We are a better team with him in no doubt.
I’d find a way to keep him in the side even when Marshall/Ryder are both available.

Too good a footballer to not be selected.

A few thoughts on this.

1) Ryder won’t be around forever. 2) Marshall is very valuable as the other key forward alongside King. Carlisle playing allows him to get forward more often. 3) Ratts may not want Carlisle in defence permanently, but with the changes to the interchange rules there may be a role for a ruck type stationed at chb a kick behind the play, particularly late in games.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely we are a much better side when Jake plays. He is a class above the rest and he is a competitive beast when he's on.

Here's hoping he can contunue to embrace the new role and excel at it because it provides Ratts with so much more flexibility.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes when I watched the replay, one aspect that shone out was Jake's deft touches and his quick and good decision making.

Jake is a very smart footballer. Nic Nat is athletically way better, but Jake clearly outthought him in their contests.

He does may good things, and has many good skills. He also has an aggressive streak which some of our players lack. Jake makes his team mates play better, and brings them more into the game. He makes us a better team IMO.

Just on deft touches and quick and good decision making....this is also a key strength of Marshalls. How good was that moment when he took a great mark, but the umpire had call touched play on, and Marshall knowing that he was in heavy traffic handballed before he even hit the ground.

Good big blokes makes your small blokes better. Jake, Ryder and Marshall is a huge advantage for us as all are very smart and skilled footballers. Add to that "the General" Howard who provides a lot of onfield leadership. Once Max "L Plater" King gets stronger and more experienced he will also bring others more into the game.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 14 Apr 2021 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle has possibly extended his career by a few years, barring injury. I was most impressed with the way he dealt with repeatedly getting pinged by the umps. Not a lot of wasted energy or focus, just a little disappointment on the face and back on with the job.
I hope we can retain him.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Have been a bit frustrated by his selection issues but have read with interest here the speculation that the issue may be that he’s a bit too slow to continue as a key back.

You can kind of see it the way he plods around the ground that that may in fact be correct... and you can also see how this new role very much nullifies that as a problem.

Instead of chasing key forwards on the lead, he does a lot more big body work in packs and runs with rucks that generally aren’t as quick... and opposition rucks that aren’t the big athletic freaks, really run the risk of being outshined by him in marking/tackling/disposal

Am not as convinced on Ratten’s approach to strategy as most here but I reckon this move... that personally I wouldn’t have considered in a 1000 years could be genius... a master stroke if you will

Sanctorum
Club Player

Watching Carlisle play in defence since coming over from Essendon, it looked to me like he lacked interest or motivation because he rarely did much more than take the odd mark to repel an attack, but never dominating.

Now as a result of Ryder and Marshall out with injuries the coaches have turned to 200 cm Carlisle to play in the ruck, and he looks like he really relishes that role - amazing that it has taken all this time to realise that this is a role that he can actually be very good at, he is after all a very experienced player.

I often look back and marvel at the way Kevin Sheedy never failed to think outside of the box and devise new and better roles for his players, especially if they were languishing, the way Carlisle has.

Ratten has demonstrated his coaching prowess at getting the best out of his players by changing their roles, with the likes of Geary playing as a defensive forward last year and using Ross and Sinclair in different roles thereby improving their contributions.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Has been doing ok as a second ruck

A bit overrated on here

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

Disagree B.M. he won a lot of taps to advantage and is more damaging with his clean ground level pickups and quick hands around the ground then in defence. If he can improve his forward craft he would be a great second ruck. Id put Marshall to CHF Paddy first ruck and Carlilse swing between 2nd ruck, forward and sweeping defender or playing on their rucks when reating forward (so his pace iant such an issue).

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I liked him from the start. Do you realise how many games he has played with us? It would be barely 50 I would guess, spread out over what 5-6 years!

If he is slow, and if big forwards are getting more one on one action I still thought he could be a forward with these new rules.

Of course we know we can't tell him to play forward if we hired Howard on the condition that he won't be 'told he has to' like at Port Adelaide.

Just so gutted by him not playing the final last year...he owed us one. That hurt. And behind all the politically correct BS - which of course is a necessary buffer for any sensible person (not me!) - I think I am not alone.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021 4:26pm I liked him from the start. Do you realise how many games he has played with us? It would be barely 50 I would guess, spread out over what 5-6 years!

If he is slow, and if big forwards are getting more one on one action I still thought he could be a forward with these new rules.

Of course we know we can't tell him to play forward if we hired Howard on the condition that he won't be 'told he has to' like at Port Adelaide.

Just so gutted by him not playing the final last year...he owed us one. That hurt. And behind all the politically correct BS - which of course is a necessary buffer for any sensible person (not me!) - I think I am not alone.
If he has sons, we need to get him to 100 games. The bloke is a great sportsman, I believe its in the genes.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021 4:30pm
If he has sons, we need to get him to 100 games. The bloke is a great sportsman, I believe its in the genes.
He is only on 64 games at present.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021 4:30pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021 4:26pm I liked him from the start. Do you realise how many games he has played with us? It would be barely 50 I would guess, spread out over what 5-6 years!

Sheesh - that's another 36 games away ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
bergsone
SS Life Member

Had him in my votes,really impressed with him halving many contests with nicnat,an area was expecting to get well beaten in.Key back key forward,and a decent chop out in the ruck,make him valuable

Ape_Man
Club Player

He's a pretty clever footballer and he could add a couple of years to his career if he develops his ruck craft.

He doesn't have a big leap but uses his body so well. I can see him being more than a relief ruckman if he wants to put the work into it.

Naitanui is athletic as a ruckman can get and Carlisle held his own at ball ups and was more than handy around the ground. I would really enjoy seeing what Carlisle could do with some more time in the ruck.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021 11:16am Watching Carlisle play in defence since coming over from Essendon, it looked to me like he lacked interest or motivation because he rarely did much more than take the odd mark to repel an attack, but never dominating.

Now as a result of Ryder and Marshall out with injuries the coaches have turned to 200 cm Carlisle to play in the ruck, and he looks like he really relishes that role - amazing that it has taken all this time to realise that this is a role that he can actually be very good at, he is after all a very experienced player.

I often look back and marvel at the way Kevin Sheedy never failed to think outside of the box and devise new and better roles for his players, especially if they were languishing, the way Carlisle has.

Ratten has demonstrated his coaching prowess at getting the best out of his players by changing their roles, with the likes of Geary playing as a defensive forward last year and using Ross and Sinclair in different roles thereby improving their contributions.
I think in the past he was hampered by his continuous back issues, but has since had surgery to fix it. He seems to me moving more freely and has given the coaches the option to throw him as the 2nd ruck.

As a side story I muched preferred Battles game down back, than Highmore and others tried earlier this year. Battles marking and kicking is perfect for our defence.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021 7:46pm
As a side story I muched preferred Battles game down back, than Highmore and others tried earlier this year. Battles marking and kicking is perfect for our defence.
Agree

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Battle will take Riewoldt I reckon, looks way more comfortable down back.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

game 150 in Maddies Match

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Cannot believe that the coaches selected Hunter, McKernan and Highmore ahead of Carlisle in round one when we were missing Ryder, Marshall and Frawley. Seems like every year we have a baffling omission at the start of the season. Carlisle is clearly in our best team and adding the ruck/forward string to his bow makes him even more valuable.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Be nice if he clunked a few when he is forward

Hasn’t taken a mark inside 50 yet.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 3:15am Cannot believe that the coaches selected Hunter, McKernan and Highmore ahead of Carlisle in round one when we were missing Ryder, Marshall and Frawley. Seems like every year we have a baffling omission at the start of the season. Carlisle is clearly in our best team and adding the ruck/forward string to his bow makes him even more valuable.
Indeed. Start of last season, if I recall correctly, both Battle and Carlisle omitted, Kent and Dunstan both selected. On a side note, I feels like ten years ago, before the Corona-century". My guess is that certain fitness levels were not achieved and it was kept hush-hush.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 10:47am
mad saint guy wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 3:15am Cannot believe that the coaches selected Hunter, McKernan and Highmore ahead of Carlisle in round one when we were missing Ryder, Marshall and Frawley. Seems like every year we have a baffling omission at the start of the season. Carlisle is clearly in our best team and adding the ruck/forward string to his bow makes him even more valuable.
Indeed. Start of last season, if I recall correctly, both Battle and Carlisle omitted, Kent and Dunstan both selected. On a side note, I feels like ten years ago, before the Corona-century". My guess is that certain fitness levels were not achieved and it was kept hush-hush.
And the year before that we picked Lewis Pierce ahead of Marshall.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 12:18am
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 10:47am
And the year before that we picked Lewis Pierce ahead of Marshall.
Well, they both had good preseason matches from memory and Pierce wasn't a bad footballer.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Pierce beat Marshall in the ruck in the intra club in the ruck

Marshall was seen more then. As a forward who could ruck

Only injuries saw him start rucking, and he improved rapidly when he started in there.

I think his only game in the VFL in 2019 was R1 against a mediocre Coburg. I was there, it was at their home ground. We flogged them and Marshall was easily BOG in the ruck.

Promoted straight away and never looked back