2nd oldest list / oldest list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

2nd oldest list / oldest list

Last night after the game the female commentator when interviewing Hill said we had the 2nd oldest list. This caught me by surprise as it did Hill - he actually exclaimed ‘we’re not the 2nd oldest’ or something to those lines
So I looked us up, turns out hill is right, we’re not the 2nd oldest, according to the AFL we are the oldest!

I guess this is due to recruits like chips, paddy, McKee an et al as our core list would have to be one of ten youngest right?

Is this something to be concerned about or is it a statistical anomaly given the weighting a few of those older blokes place on our average?

#1 Ryder fan
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2nd oldest list / oldest list

MC Gusto wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 7:37am Last night after the game the female commentator when interviewing Hill said we had the 2nd oldest list. This caught me by surprise as it did Hill - he actually exclaimed ‘we’re not the 2nd oldest’ or something to those lines
So I looked us up, turns out hill is right, we’re not the 2nd oldest, according to the AFL we are the oldest!

I guess this is due to recruits like chips, paddy, McKee an et al as our core list would have to be one of ten youngest right?

Is this something to be concerned about or is it a statistical anomaly given the weighting a few of those older blokes place on our average?
Nothing to be concerned about, there was an imbalance a few years ago following retirements. Experience and leadership needed to be addressed as was the filling of some glaring holes. We are a better club for this.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Given one retirement can move you about you from oldest to youngest there's nothing to be concerned about.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Leo.J
SS Life Member

We do have a few old guys who we need to contend, when they retire it be a problem if we don’t have a replacement.

That said we do have a lot of talent who are in the 50-150 games.

I recon the list is quite balanced as 3-4 of the old blokes that tip the scales in age are pretty expendable.

Not an issue provided we can keep turning over the list like the Hawks and the Cats have.

And surely we’re not older that Geelong?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

But if you judge it on best 22, I doubt we are the oldest.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Most of the players we picked up in the pre season are in their late 20s and Frawley is 32/33 .
With Roberton retiring we may move down the list as he is 29.

In red white and black from 73
Saintmike65
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 7:37am Last night after the game the female commentator when interviewing Hill said we had the 2nd oldest list. This caught me by surprise as it did Hill - he actually exclaimed ‘we’re not the 2nd oldest’ or something to those lines

Surely Geelong has the oldest list?
Funny how things change, only a couple of years ago we had the 4th youngest list!
To contend, you need an experienced, mature team...we're no longer building, we're in the sweet spot.

Club Player

Using average age is a not a good way to look at a list.
Median is far more appropriate.
If Ryder, Frawley and Geary were not on the list and replaced by three 18 year olds we would become closer to the youngest list in the competition.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

1966 wrote: Sun 07 Mar 2021 8:30pm Using average age is a not a good way to look at a list.
Median is far more appropriate.
If Ryder, Frawley and Geary were not on the list and replaced by three 18 year olds we would become closer to the youngest list in the competition.
This. Averages are used everywhere and most of the time it isn't the appropriate statistic to use, median is.

I think we had the 2nd or 3rd youngest last year, by actual games played. Our backline was Howard, Wilkie, Coffield, Clark, Long, Paton. We've brought in Frawley and McKernan, they won't be playing every week, Paddy will be in and out rested. Geary will battle with his body. Hanners and Carlisle too. Roberton retired.

List age means bugger all. It's the median of those who play that count. I'll take a punt and say that our oldest half dozen players won't play 50 games between them this season!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
diddley
Club Player

The afl website had an article on it today. Our list only has 4 players under 21. The next lowest is 8, with the highest being 18. That is what is driving our age up.
We also have the most players aged 24-28, with 18 in the category. The next highest is 14.
We only have 8 players 28+, which is not high. In fact, only 1 club has 7 players in that category.
We now have 2 list vacancies, which I would assume will be filled mid year with a couple of 18-19 year olds that slipped through the 2020 draft. This will have our average tumble down.