Move finals Bye to after the Prelim

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Move finals Bye to after the Prelim

I have never been a fan of the pre finals bye and statistically it disadvantages the top teams over the finals series ( which is ridiculous). The AFL however wants this to give air time and therefore $$$ to things such as the AA,Rising star etc.

With the new concsussion rule and compulsory 12 day rest i think they should move the bye then to the week after the Prelim. The AFL said the bye was to ensure the best players were ready for the finals, well this would apply even more now with a compulsory injury break.
The brownlow doesnt move and allows a player to enjoy the win a bit more( if in GF), Rising Star and AA could be in that week and then like the Superbowl media weekend the week before and VFL GF.

Makes a lot more sense and restores the reward for winning week 1 and getting a week off.

thoughts?

amusingname
Club Player

Re: Move finals Bye to after the Prelim

The pre finals bye was introduced to stop teams resting half their best team in the last round when they couldn’t change their position on the ladder, then you got the anomaly of the bulldogs being able to regain some key players because of the break, beat WC in Perth and then go on their premiership run, so it can suit teams in different circumstances.

I wouldn’t be against the break changing to pre GF, put on thee EJ whitten game or equivalent charity match. Would love state of origin back but I can’t see that occurring regularly again

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I don't like those byes at all, breaks the momentum of the season.

If teams want to rest players in the last round, who cares? Very much an overreaction from the AFL.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CarlD
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 29 Jan 2021 11:32am I don't like those byes at all, breaks the momentum of the season.

If teams want to rest players in the last round, who cares? Very much an overreaction from the AFL.
Agreed. If a team can get into that position, good on them. It gives teams lower in the eight a week off I don't think they deserve.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

It was also introduced so they could have a final on the Thursday night

awesome_days
Club Player

The NFL do it so probably something the AFL will steal.

For the spectacle and game quality it is probably better to move it before the Grand Final to ensure all players are going in as healthy as possible.

I like the idea of an All Star or Origin game the weekend prior along with Brownlow and awards celebrations.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

The trouble with any all star games during the final season is that the best players in the finals wont be playing and the others from non competing clubs are most likely pissed/flying high and overseas
That said I'm not a fan of the top sides getting a week off - unless we are talking Geelong of course

Seeya
repta
Club Player

Finals to start in August and Finish sometime close to November.
Have a by after each round of the finals. or better yet have one game per round. That way TV maximises . Teams can do 14 days quarantine between each state. 12 day concussion can be organised.