Mock Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mock Draft

From herald sun.com.au

"Welcome to mock draft night.

The the 2020 AFL national draft is just over two weeks away.

Will the Crows bid on boom prospect- and Western Bulldogs academy player - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan with the prized No.1 pick? Will they opt for local talent Riley Thilthorpe or take gun Western Australian forward Logan McDonald? What will Essendon do with its three top-10 picks and how will the Hawks use their first top-five selection in more than a decade?

These are just some of the clubs AFL recruiters are wrestling with.

Replay the live stream above to see draft experts Dan Batten and Jordan Pinto put themselves in the shoes of AFL recruiters - and follow every pick below.

THE DRAFT PICKS LIVE

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Western Bulldogs)
Riley Thilthorpe (Adelaide)
Logan McDonald (North Melbourne)
Denver Grainger-Barras (Sydney)
Elijah Hollands (Hawthorn
Will Phillips (Gold Coast)
Zach Reid (Essendon)
Braeden Campbell (Sydney)
Tanner Bruhn (Essendon)
Archie Perkins (Essendon)
Lachie Jones (Port Adelaide)
Nathan O'Driscoll (Adelaide)
Oliver Henry (GWS Giants)
Heath Chapman (North Melbourne)
Nikolas Cox (Fremantle)
Brayden Cook (GWS Giants)
Finlay Macrae (Collingwood)
Jack Carroll (GWS Giants)
Tom Powell (Collingwood)
Brandon Walker (Fremantle)
Bailey Laurie (Richmond)
Reef McInnes (Collingwood)
Jake Bowey (Melbourne)
Connor Downie (Hawthorn)
Seamus Mitchell (Melbourne)
Kaine Baldwin (GWS Giants)
Zavier Maher (St Kilda)
Caleb Poulter (Adelaide)
Eddie Ford (Adelaide)
Zac Dumesny (Hawthorn)

I would be happy if we snagged Maher.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Re: Mock Draft

Why would we go for another inside midfielder in Zavier Maher? Sheer madness if we do. We desperately need a ruckman.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

This is the 4th mock draft i've seen, so far we've recruited,

Sam Berry
Jake Bowey
Tom Powell
Zavier Maher

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Do we desperately need another developing ruck?

They pbly won’t play behind Ryder and Marshall
McKernan is the first back up
And we Alabakis on the list.

I would say if anything we desperately need a key back.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 3:00pm Do we desperately need another developing ruck?

We need a key back and ruckman more than another inside midfielder.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

We will see.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

For obvious reasons I haven't been as into this draft.

What are they saying about the field?

Is it an even field ? Or hand out top 10?

ie..Are we likely to get someone good at whatever pick 21 ends up becoming.?

Nee!
SaintPelican66
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 5:08pm For obvious reasons I haven't been as into this draft.

What are they saying about the field?

Is it an even field ? Or hand out top 10?

ie..Are we likely to get someone good at whatever pick 21 ends up becoming.?
If we were to get Max Heath we would be laughing.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 2:44pm Why would we go for another inside midfielder in Zavier Maher? Sheer madness if we do. We desperately need a ruckman.

If we are talking our first pick then we do not want a skinny kid ruckman.

1/ Would take years to be any good
2/ Young rucks are very hit and miss.

If we want to get a another ruck then look for an older player with later pick.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I wouldnt be disappointed with another developing midfielder, but I feel we will take a ruckman in either Shannon Neale, Max Heath or Henry Walsh with our first (back our recruiters in). It may be a little early in some people's minds, but neither would make it through to our next pick. Our strategy being that ruckman as 17/18 yo they are still growing and not as developed as other players, but if we grab a good one at pick 27-28 then he will be a bargain going forward and could be ready to go when Paddy retires.

It seems that the club have backed Clavarino possibly to replace Carlisle, but showed interest the the WCE's tall defender/utility in Jarrod Brander so he might come into calculations in next years trade period. But I wouldnt discount the club looking at another tall utility as a slider for our 2nd pick eg Liam McMahon, Campbell Edwardes.

The other list need that we could fill with a slider or rookie pick is a wingmen eg Jake Bowey.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Personally, I would never draft another ruck early in the draft again. They take forever to develop and the ones taken early don't have a particularly good strike rate. Most teams play one ruck these days, so there's usually at least a few disgruntled rucks available for trade every trade period - usually for a second round draft pick or less. That seems to be where the value is. That, and longshot rookies making it.

If I had to guess the type of player we'll draft with our first pick, I'd guess a ~185cm player with footskills. Since we have so many Hawthorn people involved, maybe a left-footer. We might end up going tall this year because there's supposed to be a lot of good ones in this draft. A ruck, however - particularly a raw one - would surprise me.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bakes
Club Player

Talk of recruiting a ruckman is madness, they take years to develop.

Personally I wouldn't go for a tall forward either, they'll take too long.

We're about to enter the premiership window.

Go for the best available midfielder or tall backman. If they are good enough they'll be able to compete for a senior spot in 2-3 years' time when we are firmly inside the "window".

We are a destination club now so we don't need to wait 5 years a for a young forward or ruck to develop, we'll just recruit an established player through trading or free agency like Richmond did when they recruited Lynch.

diddley
Club Player

bakes wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 9:20am
I don’t know. Max King seemed to be doing pretty solidly within 2 years of being drafted. We are building the forward line around him. (Yes, I am aware he is still building, which does take time)

I wouldn’t go as far as saying “No” to every tall, ruck forward or back, but it would need to be for the right fit.
I am more than happy to get players in now that are going to take some time to develop. Our list has never been so prepared. I don’t just want 1 more cup, I want a dynasty. That’s what we are building towards.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 9:20am Talk of recruiting a ruckman is madness, they take years to develop.

Go for the best available midfielder or tall backman. If they are good enough they'll be able to compete for a senior spot in 2-3 years' time when we are firmly inside the "window".

We are a destination club now so we don't need to wait 5 years a for a young forward or ruck to develop, we'll just recruit an established player through trading or free agency like Richmond did when they recruited Lynch.
To suggest ruckman take 5 years is rubbish - its just the gumpies we have recruited in the past were still no good after 5 years (excluding Marshall). Marshall was a little older but he played 12 games in his first year. Jackson from Melbourne played the entire year. Our recruiting is 500% better than it was and picking a ruckman is about list balance and the salary cap going forward.

Remember they will be playing second fiddle to Marshall, so 3 years from now is the perfect sweet spot for a good ruckman.

Do you want to pay 800k for a ruckman - I dont, when we have Marshall a draftee partner is the perfect fit. Look at Richmonds list they have drafted everyone of there ruckman so it can be done. Nankervis was pick 35 & Callum-Jones pick 20.

bakes
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 12:44pm
bakes wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 9:20am Talk of recruiting a ruckman is madness, they take years to develop.

To suggest ruckman take 5 years is rubbish - its just the gumpies we have recruited in the past were still no good after 5 years (excluding Marshall). Marshall was a little older but he played 12 games in his first year. Jackson from Melbourne played the entire year. Our recruiting is 500% better than it was and picking a ruckman is about list balance and the salary cap going forward.

Remember they will be playing second fiddle to Marshall, so 3 years from now is the perfect sweet spot for a good ruckman.

Do you want to pay 800k for a ruckman - I dont, when we have Marshall a draftee partner is the perfect fit. Look at Richmonds list they have drafted everyone of there ruckman so it can be done. Nankervis was pick 35 & Callum-Jones pick 20.
Apart from Grundy, I can't recall anyone else that had an immediate impact.

Jackson who?

Pretty sure Richmond traded in Nankervis from Sydney at a good age once he had already spent a few years in the system.

I wouldn't use a pick in 20's for a ruckman, it's too risky. Would rather target a Mid.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 12:52pm

Jackson who?

Pretty sure Richmond traded in Nankervis from Sydney at a good age once he had already spent a few years in the system.

I wouldn't use a pick in 20's for a ruckman, it's too risky. Would rather target a Mid.
I am not against taking a midfielder but there are no garuntees with them either. Sydney picked Nankervis at 35 at the end on 2014 and over the next 2 years he played 12 games, then traded to Richmond. In 2017 (his 3rd year) he played nearly every game for Richmond and dominated in a winning GF for Richmond.

In the past our recruiting at all positions has been poor, but particularly ordinary with ruckman - so I can understand peoples trepidations. However our recruiting team are now an excellent group and if they wanted to I would back them to select the right ruckman with our first which will around pick 28.

Luke Jackson was Melbournes No 3 draft pick last year and will be a star going forward.

bakes
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 1:42pm

Jackson who?

I am not against taking a midfielder but there are no garuntees with them either. Sydney picked Nankervis at 35 at the end on 2014 and over the next 2 years he played 12 games, then traded to Richmond. In 2017 (his 3rd year) he played nearly every game for Richmond and dominated in a winning GF for Richmond.

In the past our recruiting at all positions has been poor, but particularly ordinary with ruckman - so I can understand peoples trepidations. However our recruiting team are now an excellent group and if they wanted to I would back them to select the right ruckman with our first which will around pick 28.

Luke Jackson was Melbournes No 3 draft pick last year and will be a star going forward.
I think you are right, am scarred from the past :cry: .. Barry Brooks, Tom Lee (although he was probably a FWD).

I only seem to remember having solid ruck citizens that we've traded in .. Trent Knobel did alright, M Gardiner, Steven King. Actually they weren't outstanding either.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure we've had a good ruckman since Everitt? I don't think so. Unless I've forgot about someone obvious.

Anyway, whoever is in charge of recruiting over the last few years is doing well.

Freebird
Club Player

bakes wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 1:58pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 25 Nov 2020 1:42pm

Jackson who?

I think you are right, am scarred from the past :cry: .. Barry Brooks, Tom Lee (although he was probably a FWD).

I only seem to remember having solid ruck citizens that we've traded in .. Trent Knobel did alright, M Gardiner, Steven King. Actually they weren't outstanding either.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure we've had a good ruckman since Everitt? I don't think so. Unless I've forgot about someone obvious.

Anyway, whoever is in charge of recruiting over the last few years is doing well.
Add Cain Acland, Capuana, Rix, Pattison etc etc not a good record listing ruckman from other clubs

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

There was this bloke called McEvoy we picked up in the top 10, in desperation of recruiting a ruckman, bypassing the opportunity to pick up a highly regarded kid called Dangerfield. That worked out well for us.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 02 Dec 2020 7:08pm There was this bloke called McEvoy we picked up in the top 10, in desperation of recruiting a ruckman, bypassing the opportunity to pick up a highly regarded kid called Dangerfield. That worked out well for us.
And Riolli ffs.

ace
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 3:00pm Do we desperately need another developing ruck?

We need Nicholas Cox to eventually replace Carlisle.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Nicholas Cox.......sounds like a name from a Benny Hill skit

diddley
Club Player

ace wrote: Wed 02 Dec 2020 7:39pm

We need Nicholas Cox to eventually replace Carlisle.
Cox will go top 10, 15 at a stretch. He will get nowhere near our pick.

stkfc1
Club Player

Just take best available and hope he's a 200 gamer.

A tall defender and a classy outside mid are requirements so hopefully that's what we get but if it's an inside mid or a forward then so be it. Max or RoMa may get injured, who takes their place if it's long term?
What happens if Ross or Steele tear something?

Reality is you loose players over the journey, so just take the best player available, as he's going to get a shot at some stage and if he turns out to be a jet, we won't be thinking "Gee, I still wish we'd gone for a tall defender or classy midfielder back in 2020".

vacuous space
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 02 Dec 2020 7:08pm There was this bloke called McEvoy we picked up in the top 10, in desperation of recruiting a ruckman, bypassing the opportunity to pick up a highly regarded kid called Dangerfield. That worked out well for us.
Danger was a barely-eligible 17-year old who hadn't made the U18 AA team. He wasn't that highly regarded. Adelaide picking him over Brad Ebert was probably the biggest surprise of that draft.

Yeah nah pleasing positive