Hannebery pick really hurting us ATM

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Hannebery pick really hurting us ATM

We could of really used a Hannebery in a tight game like that but that's the reality of picking up an injury prone over paid hack that will more than likely not play again this year. Please don't tell me his off field leadership is worth whatever we are paying him because 5 or 6 games in 2 years is just rubbish . A very ordinary decision by the club to recruit him knowing what they did IMO

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hannebery pick really hurting us ATM

His salary is a good place holder in the salary cap at the moment.
When Ben comes and we have to pay him big bucks we will have space in the cap.
Meanwhile it is easy to tell greedy player managers that we have no room for their stupid demands.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Though the actual trade cost was very little.

The Saints and Swans confirmed on Friday that they had agreed to terms on a trade that would see the star midfielder join St Kilda.

The Swans have traded Hannebery and pick 28 to the Saints,
and received pick 39 and St Kilda's 2019 second-round pick in return.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it was a risky trade and we haven’t benefited from his direct output but....there was a dividend and a indirect benefit to StKilda which the club was willing to spend the money knowing that it could create interest from free agents and players wanting to move clubs. Also good to get the ball rolling with player managers and promote that our club is willing to offer good money and decent trades

It’s like when Clive Palmer paid 10’s of $millions for advertising about ‘shifty Shorten’. His party and his candidates didn’t do as well as Clive hoped but he knew it would assist the political party most likely to support his mining interests. He was a Liberal party member after all and they are the party that maintains laws which are all about welfare to the rich and helping the rich hide their money overseas and pay bugger all tax in Australia.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 8:54pm Though the actual trade cost was very little.

The Saints and Swans confirmed on Friday that they had agreed to terms on a trade that would see the star midfielder join St Kilda.

The Swans have traded Hannebery and pick 28 to the Saints,
and received pick 39 and St Kilda's 2019 second-round pick in return.
IMO I think even if its $500,000 a season its cost us a big time because on that calculation alone if hes played 10 games games so which I doubt that equates to 100,000 dollars a game . So I don't think it has cost us very little

To the top
SS Life Member

Palmer circumvented donation laws by establishing his own Party - and, with Hanson was crucial in delivering Queensland seats and government to the Coalition

How many Queensland seats does Labor hold and of how many?

Queensland delivered the result - and Palmer has the IOU in his pocket (as does Hanson)

The positive with Hannebery is that he is scheduled to rejoin the side on the appointed date for incoming players (as is Gresham)

The positive is because he is a class footballer and we need him under Ryder’s ruck work particularly in the centre square with 6/6/6

Hannebery is the missing piece - as he showed until injured

His positioning which comes from experience and his ball use by both hand and foot are crucial

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So who should have we got instead?

Please tell us which big name players were willing to come to St Kilda at that time?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

If he helped us get Jones then he was worth it

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 9:24pm If he helped us get Jones then he was worth it
Goose mate I respect your opinion but that is purely speculation Jones wanted to come to the saints Dan might have been part of reason but he wanted to come it's not like he said I'm coming because Hennebery is my idol.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

To the top wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 9:14pm Palmer circumvented donation laws by establishing his own Party - and, with Hanson was crucial in delivering Queensland seats and government to the Coalition

How many Queensland seats does Labor hold and of how many?

Queensland delivered the result - and Palmer has the IOU in his pocket (as does Hanson)

The positive with Hannebery is that he is scheduled to rejoin the side on the appointed date for incoming players (as is Gresham)

The positive is because he is a class footballer and we need him under Ryder’s ruck work particularly in the centre square with 6/6/6

Hannebery is the missing piece - as he showed until injured

His positioning which comes from experience and his ball use by both hand and foot are crucial
Totally agree but you have to be on the park not in the stands

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 9:16pm So who should have we got instead?

Please tell us which big name players were willing to come to St Kilda at that time?
So you pay an injury plagued guy over & above just because nobody wants to come !! That's probably why we haven't won a premiership in almost 60 years it's just dumb IMO

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure Boomer Harvey would have come out of retirement!
and would have played more games.
Hannabery recruitment as idiotic as the Freeman one.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 9:40pm
Goose is king wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 9:24pm If he helped us get Jones then he was worth it
Goose mate I respect your opinion but that is purely speculation Jones wanted to come to the saints Dan might have been part of reason but he wanted to come it's not like he said I'm coming because Hennebery is my idol.
Interesting. I read that comment as more a reflection that Sydney perhaps didn’t play hardball with the trade as they otherwise might have.

Purely speculation of course.

The more information comes out about Hannebery, the more the picture forms.

He cost us very little in terms of draft picks... and the money we’re paying him was largely front ended and what we needed to spend anyway so it pbly impacts us very little moving forward.

What it really has cost us of value is a spot on the list for someone else that could play... the length of the contract, clearly the issue.

All in all... I can live with that without saying it’s a total disaster though IMO, it’s an example of the damage a desperate, outgoing coach can do when not sacked when he should have been (contract should never have been extended).

What bothers me however are the other rationalisations people use...
Other players came because of him - no evidence of this
We needed a leader - came straight into the leadership group and was kicked out almost immediately
He’s set the training/professional/cultural standards - great, recruit as a coach then rather than a player
Exactly the type of player we need - except we need him to play more than 10 games in 2 seasons

It’s not all bad... but spare me the made up positives

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote=bangaulegend post_id=1863493 time=1598265643 user_id=21262]
[quote="Goose is king" post_id=1863484 time=1598264668 user_id=17709]
If he helped us get Jones then he was worth it
[/quote]

[/quote]

True. Really just man crushing on Jones

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 10:00pm

So you pay an injury plagued guy over & above just because nobody wants to come !! That's probably why we haven't won a premiership in almost 60 years it's just dumb IMO
We needed to bring in a big name in the hope that it might attract others to sign on cause up until Hanners signing we were a very unattractive proposition ....... of course it has been seen since to have had the desired effect as following his signing we have attracted a few others.

I think there were also issues with our cap in that we needed to fill it ..... others maybe able to confirm or expand on this issue

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The OP is ignoring that we had to at least pay minimum TPP anyway.

The pick cost was cheap.

So while the $$$ is large it has not really hurt us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 12:57am The OP is ignoring that we had to at least pay minimum TPP anyway.

The pick cost was cheap.

So while the $$$ is large it has not really hurt us.
So there it is we needed to pay the minimum TPP and the Hanners signing helped us do this

As for the signing of Hanners attracting players well it didn't need to be him specifically but we needed a big name and he was only one we were able to attract at the time ..... along with Carlisle to a lesser degree

Secret Kiel
Club Player

If he played against the Lions, we win. Amoungst many attributes, he was recruited for his onfield leadership and with Billings demonstrating once again he has zero to offer in that space, right now I'd much rather be taking Hanners into a finals campaign, which is another reason he was recruited.

Is Richo to blame for Billings lack of onfield leadership, maybe it's time to completely rid ouselves of all players who were recruited while Richo was coach.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Petracca

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:25am

Petracca
Yeah 3 years too late unfortunately

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Just what we really need. Another f****** thread bagging a saints player.

apples1403

Still think there is a chance Dan will come good

SunnyErnest
Club Player

apples1403 wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 1:24pm Still think there is a chance Dan will come good
He just needs to be ready when we make the GF which hopefully is next year. With that in mind I would not try and bring him back this year. Tell him to relax and have the next 6 months off and come back in Feb next year. Have a late pre-season with the aim of being ready to start playing in round 12. Then when he starts playing he should play 3 games and then be rested for a week. Then repeat the 4 week cycle and nurse him to the finals so he is fresh and ready. You sow what you reap.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 10:32pm
bangaulegend wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 9:40pm
Interesting. I read that comment as more a reflection that Sydney perhaps didn’t play hardball with the trade as they otherwise might have.

Purely speculation of course.

The more information comes out about Hannebery, the more the picture forms.

He cost us very little in terms of draft picks... and the money we’re paying him was largely front ended and what we needed to spend anyway so it pbly impacts us very little moving forward.

What it really has cost us of value is a spot on the list for someone else that could play... the length of the contract, clearly the issue.

All in all... I can live with that without saying it’s a total disaster though IMO, it’s an example of the damage a desperate, outgoing coach can do when not sacked when he should have been (contract should never have been extended).

What bothers me however are the other rationalisations people use...
Other players came because of him - no evidence of this
We needed a leader - came straight into the leadership group and was kicked out almost immediately
He’s set the training/professional/cultural standards - great, recruit as a coach then rather than a player
Exactly the type of player we need - except we need him to play more than 10 games in 2 seasons

It’s not all bad... but spare me the made up positives
Yep agree entirely. As it stands he is a massive bust.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:01am Just what we really need. Another f****** thread bagging a saints player.
Just what we need. More glossing over stupid decisions in the name of misplaced loyalty.