Sinclair - the new Waugh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair - the new Waugh

What is he good for?

I've watched the game twice now plus I've a reasonable appreciation of his career to date. (Please do not mention the word "elite, who & why?)

He's not defensive, yet tackles or attempts to tackle mor than Lonie. He's not a forward, does not impact the scoreboard. His body does not hurt or require guarding. His skills are exquisite but too far between.

I actually like the player but cannot see us winning a flag if he's best 22, same with Geary & Lonie, sadly.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sinclair - the new Waugh

He’s an odd one
A few years ago I thought this kid had the tools, vision and skills to be elite
He’s stalled
He does have skills he doesn’t turn it over like Geary but he just doesn’t do enough
Agree on Geary and Lonie I don’t think they’re best 22 Premiership side material
I like Long......but I do get nervous as he’s erratic with ball in hand ...
You can’t have 22 silks I get that but guys that have a history of turning it over under pressure hurt you come GF day...

“Yeah….nah””
Secret Kiel
Club Player

I thought he's contributed well since coming back in. I've wondered if he's been asked to be a role player and guard zones a little more than normal but it's really hard to be certain from watching on TV. Guarding zones is that really unsexy part of the game that is rarely praised by media journos and commentators but is highly valued by coaches obviously. I notice players who recently retired and are now TV commentators mention zones and guarding a lot like Hodgey.

johnearljames
Club Player

He has a s*** haircut and mow. Time to chop them both off. He looks like Ned Flanders.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'm sorry, his contribution has meant being average. His skills are better than average but when he has the opportunity to make us better than average he falls short too often.

Zones are simply a fancy word for work rate. No one has ever doubted Sinclair's work rate, it is tackling and impact through possession that means something.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:28pm He has a s*** haircut and mow. Time to chop them both off. He looks like Ned Flanders.
I've no doubt you look like d!ck cheese but we still respect you.

<1 day ban for commenting negatively on a poster>

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:D

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Zones are a lot lot more than work rate.

Was it the game against Essendon last year where he had 9 tackles. Clearly he's proved he doesn't mind rolling up the sleaves.

johnearljames
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:32pm
johnearljames wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:28pm He has a s*** haircut and mow. Time to chop them both off. He looks like Ned Flanders.
I've no doubt you look like d!ck cheese but we still respect you.
Is that French?

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:44pm Zones are a lot lot more than work rate.

Was it the game against Essendon last year where he had 9 tackles. Clearly he's proved he doesn't mind rolling up the sleaves.
A lot of players who have played for St Kilda have never minded rolling up their sleeves. I'm sure Newnes played a great game at some point, I know Bruce did last year but we are past that, thankfully & in a much better place.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I think they might have swapped his role with Ross. Hence Ross received more ball this week and Sinclair didn't. Sinclair the more skillful though.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:57pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:44pm Zones are a lot lot more than work rate.

A lot of players who have played for St Kilda have never minded rolling up their sleeves. I'm sure Newnes played a great game at some point, I know Bruce did last year but we are past that, thankfully & in a much better place.
What is this better space you speak of, we haven't achieved anything and are still a long way of the best 4 or 5 teams in the comp. And Jack is a proven and willing tackler, I think his high watermark since getting back in is 7 tackles. I think your crankiness with Jack is misguided. He's only got to be the 4th to 6th best midfielder in this side. Why are you expecting elite.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Evelyn Waugh?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

he's an okay depth player, and this year we need them.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Always harder to tell when watching the game on TV, but I think after Paton went down that Sinclair was used a lot more in our back half today.

We have a lot less ball butchers in our 22 now, and Sinclair does use the ball well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

If his football career turns out as bad as the careers of either Waugh twin I'll be a happy Saint supporter.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I liked seeing his chase and tackle in the second near the boundary. Didn’t see he whole game.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair is a bit meh for me as well

He is not a contested ball beast nor silk with speed on the outside - he is an inbetweener - neither here nor there and can struggle to really impact when the chips are down

He is a link player who displays good vision at times but can totally disappear during games - he is just your average C grader that can elevate to B+ on occasions

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:18pm I like Long......but I do get nervous as he’s erratic with ball in hand ...
I have not been able to explain my view on Long but you have nailed.
I am nneerrvvoouuuss when he goes near the ball because he is eerrrraattiicc.
But he will only get better.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

He’s not a top 6 player. But he’s pretty handy as a bottom 5 player. And god knows we need to keep playing blokes with decent foot skills.

First week back I thought he’s be out in straight sets but he is growing.

Always loyal
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Noticeable improvement in 2020. Can't remember any howlers recently, which he was prone to; now a low profile good contributor on the up. Good size, speed, fitness and skills. Haven't notice his opponents cutting us up. I guess not every player can be a stand out every game and it is a team of contributors that gets the job done. Type of player that will be a match winner when opportunity arises. Who will be put in the stocks next week.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 18 Aug 2020 11:02am Noticeable improvement in 2020. Can't remember any howlers recently, which he was prone to; now a low profile good contributor on the up. Good size, speed, fitness and skills. Haven't notice his opponents cutting us up. I guess not every player can be a stand out every game and it is a team of contributors that gets the job done. Type of player that will be a match winner when opportunity arises. Who will be put in the stocks next week.
This is true and I've also enjoyed SemperFidelis' view. If we'd had Sinclair's type as a bottom 5 or 6 in 97, 09 & 10 then he may well have been the difference.

If he holds his place then he's playing good football and is doing the job asked of him. Perhaps he will be one of our next 22 premiership players.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 18 Aug 2020 11:02am Noticeable improvement in 2020. Can't remember any howlers recently, which he was prone to; now a low profile good contributor on the up. Good size, speed, fitness and skills. Haven't notice his opponents cutting us up. I guess not every player can be a stand out every game and it is a team of contributors that gets the job done. Type of player that will be a match winner when opportunity arises. Who will be put in the stocks next week.
I agree with this assessment of Jack Sinclair, he certainly has improved under Brett Ratten's coaching, but is probably still only borderline "best 22".

He and a a number of others (notably Seb Ross) have had to make the adjustment from Alan Richardson's ineffective mantra of possession and slow ball movement to the more aggressive attacking style game plan developed by Ratten, and I'm sure that hasn't been easy for some as it required a vast improvement in disposal skills.

It is this transformation by the older brigade that makes me think that it may not be until next season that we will see the team achieve greater success. There could be a handful of "regular" players who will find it hard to break into the seniors in 2021.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 18 Aug 2020 11:13am
This is true and I've also enjoyed SemperFidelis' view. If we'd had Sinclair's type as a bottom 5 or 6 in 97, 09 & 10 then he may well have been the difference.

If he holds his place then he's playing good football and is doing the job asked of him. Perhaps he will be one of our next 22 premiership players.
He’s a significant upgrade on the courageous Eddy who never got the ball.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

He’s only 25..has been around for ages and has the skills. I get the Waugh thing...especially the vibe around Steve as a sharp almost bowling all rounder with lovely batting skills in his early career, with patchy battling results and a somewhat laconic run up and a ‘cool, standoffishness’ affection. But it was an image. Steve got injured, became a canny trundler who bowled less, and slower and his batting became ugly...playing really late, cross-batted, few shots and real toil. I hope Jack Saint Clair doesn’t go that way, but if he is reduced in role and scope, in a post Geary world, then I think it should be the way of a Tim Pekin. No Mick Martin for sure, but skilled, agile, with all the skills and a sense to see the angles and the ability to run out through the wing, even on the ball. Low profile, level head and a sure pick. Also a Saints fan, I give Jack the benefit of the doubt and was surprised he wasn’t picked until recently. Perhaps Ratts had some doubts.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!