Lock up your mids

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

diddley
Club Player

Lock up your mids

I have been saying this for the last 2 years to my mates.
Getting Dan Hannebery was never JUST about having a player that used to play well, in the hope that he would recover from his injuries and play well for us. It was about giving other players the confidence to be traded to us over the next few years.
When Dan came here, we were a mess, and had tried to land a “Big Fish” with not even a nibble, same as North Melbourne were doing.
12 months later, we went on a trade raid and landed 5 players (plus Abbott), who have all been best 22, and transformed us into a desirable destination.
The next step is the Big Fish. Quality midfielders. We have the cash, we now have some fringe players of relative tradable quality, and a few picks. We have the back-of-house team to get these things done now. And, to top everything else, we have a coach that players want to play for.
I can’t wait to see what happens in the next trade raid.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/483035/lock ... trade-raid

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lock up your mids

So which of the 5 recruits came explicitly because Hannerbury coming made the Saints more appealing?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 10:17am I have been saying this for the last 2 years to my mates.
Getting Dan Hannebery was never JUST about having a player that used to play well, in the hope that he would recover from his injuries and play well for us. It was about giving other players the confidence to be traded to us over the next few years.
When Dan came here, we were a mess, and had tried to land a “Big Fish” with not even a nibble, same as North Melbourne were doing.
12 months later, we went on a trade raid and landed 5 players (plus Abbott), who have all been best 22, and transformed us into a desirable destination.
The next step is the Big Fish. Quality midfielders. We have the cash, we now have some fringe players of relative tradable quality, and a few picks. We have the back-of-house team to get these things done now. And, to top everything else, we have a coach that players want to play for.

Am interested to know who we have on our list that posters regard as potential trade material? i.e Not absolute required players for us but may still have trade value.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Angus Brayshaw

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
diddley
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 10:47am
diddley wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 10:17am I have been saying this for the last 2 years to my mates.

Am interested to know who we have on our list that posters regard as potential trade material? i.e Not absolute required players for us but may still have trade value.
I am going to say some names that some people aren’t going to like, but could be worth it.
Ross
Dunstan
Webster
Lonie

There are a few others, but don’t think they have any value.
There is one more name, but I will reserve my thoughts on that one until later in the year. Have a feeling I would be torn to shreds for mentioning it.

diddley
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 10:41am So which of the 5 recruits came explicitly because Hannerbury coming made the Saints more appealing?
Purely my opinion here, but I think it would have gone a long way to convince Brad Hill.
And then once that card fell, the others fell quickly after.

Good players want to play with other good players.
Same reason Tom Lynch went to Richmond.
Same reason Tim Kelly went to West Coast.
Same reason Hawthorn was a destination club for so long.

Sanctorum
Club Player

If you want to identify one of the 5 big names, it would obviously be Zak Jones who played with Hannebery at the Swans. It's also possible that Zak was keen to play for the team that he supported as a kid.

It is not a unreasonable proposition that once Hannebery came across it gave the club much needed clout because in reality up till then the club had failed to attract a single big name, and I say this irrespective of how we may feel about Hanner's worth because he was certainly elite before he was brought onboard.

On the broader issue of this post, with the Saints having a much more successful season, it would seem that the prospects of attracting a big fish midfielder for 2021 is probable...

As we have seen over the years, the successful teams never fail to attract elite players from other clubs, something St Kilda's board has recognised and is setting about achieving.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
outside66
Club Player

With all due respect, Hannaz coming to us 2 years ago would have had little to no influence on bringing other players to the club IMO. I'd say the combination of reasons behind the new recruits coming to join us would be our off-field team in Ratts, Lethers, Rathy, Gubby, Roughy, Gags etc; our move back to a brand-new Moorabbin; opportunities to play in preferred positions i.e. Jones into the midfield, Doogz down back; opportunities to actually play i.e. Butler; opportunity to move back to preferred home environment (and lets be honest, money) for Brad Hill etc

Hannaz coming to us still appears nothing short of a retirement fund. I'm sure he adds some value elsewhere but it clearly hasn't been on the park and I highly doubt it has been as part of the recruitment team.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 10:58am
st.byron wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 10:47am

I am going to say some names that some people aren’t going to like, but could be worth it.
Ross
Dunstan
Webster
Lonie

There are a few others, but don’t think they have any value.
There is one more name, but I will reserve my thoughts on that one until later in the year. Have a feeling I would be torn to shreds for mentioning it.
Oh go on. What could go wrong?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 11:03am
skeptic wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 10:41am So which of the 5 recruits came explicitly because Hannerbury coming made the Saints more appealing?
Purely my opinion here, but I think it would have gone a long way to convince Brad Hill.

Hill wanted to play with his cousin, Ryder. :roll:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I don't buy at all that the recruitment of DH somehow turned our club around and all of a sudden made us a desirable destination. I think this is just a narrative some have jumped on to help the trade feel better, which in fact has been a (easily predictable) disaster to this point.

As someone said not too long ago, Carlisle was the first big fish to come, and that was because we were looking exciting at that time. I would say Ratts taking over and a few other off field signings have done immensely more than one ageing injury prone former AA player.

I also think 4 of the 5 recruits came over mainly for opportunity and a pay rise, which is totally understandable.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
diddley
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 12:33pm I don't buy at all that the recruitment of DH somehow turned our club around and all of a sudden made us a desirable destination. I think this is just a narrative some have jumped on to help the trade feel better, which in fact has been a (easily predictable) disaster to this point.

As someone said not too long ago, Carlisle was the first big fish to come, and that was because we were looking exciting at that time. I would say Ratts taking over and a few other off field signings have done immensely more than one ageing injury prone former AA player.

I also think 4 of the 5 recruits came over mainly for opportunity and a pay rise, which is totally understandable.
By no means do I think it is the only reason, but one of many initial dominoes that started to fall. The coach and the entire back of house team changing were all part of it, but like a team, you need to be able to attack from a few different angles, and I think this is one of them.
Landing Carlisle was a false start, with him not able to play for the first season. We weren’t able to capitalise from that momentum. That was bad timing. Not to mention the other dominoes were not set properly either, which we now know in hindsight.

shadrock
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 11:20am

With all due respect, Hannaz coming to us 2 years ago would have had little to no influence on bringing other players to the club IMO. I'd say the combination of reasons behind the new recruits coming to join us would be our off-field team in Ratts, Lethers, Rathy, Gubby, Roughy, Gags etc; our move back to a brand-new Moorabbin; opportunities to play in preferred positions i.e. Jones into the midfield, Doogz down back; opportunities to actually play i.e. Butler; opportunity to move back to preferred home environment (and lets be honest, money) for Brad Hill etc

Hannaz coming to us still appears nothing short of a retirement fund. I'm sure he adds some value elsewhere but it clearly hasn't been on the park and I highly doubt it has been as part of the recruitment team.
And money helps too.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 12:54pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 12:33pm I don't buy at all that the recruitment of DH somehow turned our club around and all of a sudden made us a desirable destination. I think this is just a narrative some have jumped on to help the trade feel better, which in fact has been a (easily predictable) disaster to this point.

By no means do I think it is the only reason, but one of many initial dominoes that started to fall. The coach and the entire back of house team changing were all part of it, but like a team, you need to be able to attack from a few different angles, and I think this is one of them.
Landing Carlisle was a false start, with him not able to play for the first season. We weren’t able to capitalise from that momentum. That was bad timing. Not to mention the other dominoes were not set properly either, which we now know in hindsight.
Surely you jest in negatively referencing Carlisle not being able to play his first year in a discussion about how the DH recruitment changed our club!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
johnearljames
Club Player

Dan H coming to the Saints did help in the recruitment of those 5 players last year. No doubt about it.

Also having Ratts, Roughy and Rath helped too.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Hanners was only recruited as a punt to see if it worked- take time, get his body right and we might get a skilled midfielder with finals experience. We were going nowhere with Richo and the existing B-grade midfield who would never see us playing finals. It's nice to have Hanners at the club, but his real value needs to be on the field.

diddley
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 1:20pm
diddley wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 12:54pm

Surely you jest in negatively referencing Carlisle not being able to play his first year in a discussion about how the DH recruitment changed our club!
Yeah, i see where you are coming from, but at least Dan was allowed to be at the club while he was injured. His training standards, expectations of others and leadership (which was admittedly later removed at an official capacity) were something that was completely missing in the team.
I love having Carlisle in the team, but he is not a leader. In fact, he has had a history of being selfish at times.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 12:08pm
diddley wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 11:03am

Hill wanted to play with his cousin, Ryder. :roll:
Hill was also reportedly adamant that Ratts be coach.
I think the Ratts, Ryder, Roughie signings had a lot more to do with Hill coming than Hannebery.

Agree Hill signing would have been a bigger draw card that Hannebery.

Certainly I don't think Hannebery being onboard would have hurt the Jones signing as they appear pretty good mates, but again its reported a meeting with Ratten and the offer of midfield time was a clincher in him choosing the Saints.

Not sure how Dougal Howard or Dan Butler would be linked to Hannebery or for that matter would have been swayed in choosing the Saints due to anything Hannebery related.

Butler wanted to play seniors and to be honest I reckon he'd have shocked even himself and his parents with how well he is going so far this season. Perhaps Butler was on the outer at Tigerland as the coach didn't like his wandering fingers :oops:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I dont care why they came.

They came, and we are winning.

Brayshaw looks like a lazy footballer far too often.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Off topic, maybe. Glad Shiel found the Club's presentation below his level of entitlement and joined that other club and learnt how to protect himself in the contest,win-win .

And if a Brayshaw joins can I ask for a contract clause that says Uncle Jamie cannot enter the premises or taint the Club with his commentary genius, or provide gratuitous advice on how to run a successful club.

Would we like to recruit player Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti? He looks pretty useful to me and may be getting tired of how how he is being used at that other club.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Money, Opportunity, Need (both club & player), Coaching group, Sales pitch.

At a pinch DH may have been used in the sales pitch but I even doubt that as it risked inferring we did not have the medicos to get or keep a player on the park.

I am guessing the soon to be Famous Five have a mixture of the above reasons.

johnearljames
Club Player

We will nab one of our targets and they are very, very good.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Who are the targets?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 3:38pm We will nab one of our targets and they are very, very good.
I've read the article, who are the mids we are targeting, one of which we will nab?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Hannabery would have been good in attracting attention to how desperate we were and how much we would overpay.Imagine Howard thinking if that would give a broken down 28 year old that sort of deal I wonder what I can screw out of them.as for driving training standards, I would like some evidence of this not just repetition of motherhood statements!