Gresham - where's he at?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Gresham - where's he at?

Been incredibly disappointed with him this year. Last week he found the ball but butchered it continuously making poor decisions and disposing of it terribly. This week was even worse. He fumbled when he did it get which wasn't a lot until he got injured. He's becoming a serious liability in the midfield. Not sure how much longer we can carry him. With Butler playing brilliantly and doing that small fwd role to perfection and Lonie playing well enough I'm not sure there's a spot in the team for him next week. My thinking was push him back into the fwd line but I don't reckon there's a spot. Jones injury may save him and he definitely needs to perform next week.
Curious what others think?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gresham - where's he at?

Hard to tell ......

We won a good game of football - every player contributed - Jade has an average disposal efficiency for this season of 59.4% but last night travelled at 90% - so this is probably not the week to pot him.

What is Hard to tell though is why people come on here moaning about a player who gave his all on a night that we all loved. Why not revel in the fact that we beat a good team - and even though they were off the boil - they still are a very good team.

Did someone forget to tell you - WE WON and kicked 15.3 (an two of the points hit the post)

/End Rant

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That's why they call it a discussion forum, daddyo....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintkid
Club Player

I agree with you Moods. Gresham used to be mostly clean with his ball use and at times clever. This year to date he has been quite poor and that is disappointing, as he was one of the shining lights when we were really struggling as a team.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think a problem with Gresh is that he seems to have slowed a bit- he was never an explosive runner, but his closing speed on opponents is not quite there this season and seems to have lost his side-step. Apart from Jones, we have one helluva slow midfield. Gresh may have just lost confidence.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

saintkid wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 9:55am I agree with you Moods. Gresham used to be mostly clean with his ball use and at times clever. This year to date he has been quite poor and that is disappointing, as he was one of the shining lights when we were really struggling as a team.
His kicking has been atrocious for a few years now.

aaron82
Club Player

I suspect the knee injury he suffered in round 1 is limiting his usual output.

Up until half time he was close to our best player.

I believe his lateral movement and kicking penetration has been directly affected by it. He had 22 disposals against Collingwood and was far from our worst.

He may have a week’s rest at some point but his creativity is very important.

and that's the bottom line
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I agree with all of the above.

He looked like he was going to become an A grade small forward, but then they tried to turn him in to a midfielder and IMO he has become very ordinary. They got too greedy, should have left him in the forward line.

Also every kick seems to be across his body, not even sure he has the confidence to run and kick in a straight line anymore.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 9:34am Hard to tell ......

We won a good game of football - every player contributed - Jade has an average disposal efficiency for this season of 59.4% but last night travelled at 90% - so this is probably not the week to pot him.

What is Hard to tell though is why people come on here moaning about a player who gave his all on a night that we all loved. Why not revel in the fact that we beat a good team - and even though they were off the boil - they still are a very good team.

Did someone forget to tell you - WE WON and kicked 15.3 (an two of the points hit the post)

/End Rant
Well said. No, f****** well said.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 10:23am I think a problem with Gresh is that he seems to have slowed a bit- he was never an explosive runner, but his closing speed on opponents is not quite there this season and seems to have lost his side-step. Apart from Jones, we have one helluva slow midfield. Gresh may have just lost confidence.
Too quick for Richmond though. :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He’ll be fine.

He is 22 years old, has played fewer than 100 games, is still adjusting to the midfield role ... and is returning from a long-term injury.

He’s also probably copping a bit more attention because the opposition realises he is one of our more talented players. Way too good to be a permanent small forward.

He’s a little off the boil, but it will come.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Delist or trade. Failing that, assassinate his character. It's the Saintsational way, you know.

Saint supporter since '62
Sanctorum
Club Player

It's far too soon to rush to judgement of Jade Gresham, despite it being probably his worst game, getting just 10 disposals.

I noticed that he sported a rather severe bung eye in the dressing room after the game, which could have cramped his style somewhat.

While I didn't see him very much in last night's game, the thing that impressed me most is that they played as a team, and none of us know what sort of role Gresham was directed to perform on the park. Nor do we know if he attracted a heavy tag, or if he was just unable to get his hands on the ball, it happens to the best of them - for example, Dylan Grimes and Nick Vlastuin both gun Tigers defenders only had 5 and 11 touches respectively, Dusty Martin just 18.

I like the way Ratten is prepared to persevere with the young fellas as it is only by getting regular games under their belts that they will improve and become good players.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Gresh is a fantastic young footy player finding his way, very nicely, in a developing team.
Will have a few up and downs.
He was a steal at the pick we got him, and every other team in the comp would be happy to have him on their list.

Nee!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

You can't discount the gap year phenomenon, it's why the performances and results are so inconsistent. Some weeks a player feels up to it, the next he doesn't.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I think the additions of Butler, Hill & Jones have diminished his output but personally I'd rather see 4 guys playing well than 1 cutting it up and 3 playing like poor old Jack Newnes.

I think were spreading the load and though he is down personally on last year I think he's adding value and going ok.

I'd like to see him spend more time forward as I think he pressures the defenders as he is elusive and a decent ball winner with bursts in the midfield.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Who's suffered in confidence, game time, stats since new players arrived or Who is getting pushed out or moved around by emerging lads

1. RoMo - I had a post about the ruck duo wrecking this lad...remove Ryder and he improves greatly.
2. Gresham - whether its ego or confidence, he has gone backwards, not severely, just lost his edge.
3. Geary - still a great leader but with age and injury, the lads developing are pushing him out.
4. Nathan Brown - good player but age and new recruits + emerging lads have sealed his fate.
5. Robertson - great guy, being out for a while, the emerging lads will have to fall over hard for him to get back soon. He's been unlucky, if VFL was on he'd have shown us whether the cobwebs were cleared or the end was nigh.
6. Parker - never got a big run, but his time is short unless we get many injuries.
7. Logan - highly regarded, but injury and no vfl to tidy up and blow the cobwebs means he is unlikely to get a season to cement a spot unless Carlisle gets injured long term...if he plays vfl in 2021 and lights it up it'd be interesting. Paton / Wilkie have likely sealed Logan's fate.
8. Bytel - supposedly ready but cant get a look in...needs game time.
9. Phillips - he's ready, can't get in...
10. Dunstan - been a bull but never fully turned the corner into an A grade. Don't see him playing much unless replacing injured lads.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I'm finding it hard to judge this year because it is so hard to see what the players are doing when you're stuck with a telecast and, frankly, some pretty ordinary camerawork at that (I get there are pandemic issues but some of the shots last night caused me to scream at the tv much louder than any dubious (non) umpiring calls).

I was also critical of Gresh and then copped a look at his eye after the game. Holy hell. I can't believe he could see to play in the second half. Don't forget that Carlton thug fractured his eye socket and put him out last season. Reckon it was the same eye.

Always loyal
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personally I thinks he’s being judged very harshly. Not a great game yesterday but he’s been a great contributor overall so far

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

gotta stop trying to kick like nicky winmar. kick it straight - think he did it just once - lovely kick to the target.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 1:04pm You can't discount the gap year phenomenon, it's why the performances and results are so inconsistent. Some weeks a player feels up to it, the next he doesn't.
100% made-up bullsh*t

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I reckon just for context, Gresham sustained his injury just before 3/4 time. It appears some thought he was hampered almost all 2nd half.

Believe it or not I felt that we could have won that game by 50+ points. Almost every goal they scored was from a poor error. Tiges woefully out of form which is great.

I get that there’s plenty of positives. Plenty of threads on that.

I’ll have to watch the replay, because I cannot recall one decent thing that Gresh did. I couldn’t believe the double handling, the missed kicks/targets.

Interesting how people view the game differently. , some say Marsh should be dropped and Wilkie. I thought both were good. Others are pleased with Romo’s Game whereas I thought that he was soundly beaten and a little disappointing. He appears to be getting monstered.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 1:04pm You can't discount the gap year phenomenon, it's why the performances and results are so inconsistent. Some weeks a player feels up to it, the next he doesn't.
Dont understand your theory.
What is it?
Are they allowed to try when they like it?
What other coronavirus conspiracy theories do you have?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 11:47am Delist or trade. Failing that, assassinate his character. It's the Saintsational way, you know.
I don't care what any of you say, he is one of my favourite players.
Those who don't like him can trade themselves to Wuhan.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

When Jeremy Howe did his knee we saw five different views of it. I reckon I only saw one view of the Gresham injury. I can think of three reasons.

1. Foxtel didn’t have any other angles
2. Howe is an important player from a big club
3. Cotchin Is a good bloke from a big club.

I’m not saying Cotchin has anything to worry about but it’s strange that a bloke goes off with an eye injury and there is no follow up from the broadcasters.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"