Would Savage have made a difference....?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Would Savage have made a difference....?

...against Collingwood?

Ps..
I am still learning players names...I have learnt heaps since being on this forum, but I regularly screw up...mixing McKenzie for Hunter Clark my latest gaff!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Re: Would Savage have made a difference....?

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 1:46am ...against Collingwood?

Ps..
I am still learning players names...I have learnt heaps since being on this forum, but I regularly screw up...mixing McKenzie for Hunter Clark my latest gaff!
Jesus Christ would not have made a difference unfortunately.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It was the first time this year I thought it would have been good to have him in the side.

Specifically I thought this when Hill and others were kicking dinky kicks to nowhere.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 6:37pm It was the first time this year I thought it would have been good to have him in the side.

Specifically I thought this when Hill and others were kicking dinky kicks to nowhere.
Hill, Hanners and Jones are meant to be our gun midfield trio but all were very underwhelming on Saturday.

I really believe players are still trying to get to proper match fitness including recovery and prep for future games.

We may still see some weird results in the upcoming round before things start to settle after that.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

So does Savage have a future? What things does he do well?
Profile lists him as rebounder, good kick.
Why is he out of the side?

Too small?
187cm

Lacks skill? Poor decisions?

Seems like 2018/19 were pretty good years for him.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ace
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 24 Jun 2020 6:28pm So does Savage have a future? What things does he do well?
Profile lists him as rebounder, good kick.
Why is he out of the side?

Too small?
187cm

Lacks skill? Poor decisions?

Seems like 2018/19 were pretty good years for him.
Not seen as part of the future.
Playing Savage seen as blocking opportunities for a younger player.
Kept on list as injury insurance.
Same applies to Nathan Brown.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 4:51pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 1:46am ...against Collingwood?

Ps..
Jesus Christ would not have made a difference unfortunately.
I hear JC doesn't even possess a pair of footy boots.
The ball would fall through his hands anyway.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Savage wouldn't have made any difference. The whole team played like poo and the midfield stood back and watched the opposition gather the loose ball. The defensive game by the midfield was non-existent in the first half and didn't work hard enough off the ball. Savage maybe handy if we make the finals :D

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

spert wrote: Thu 25 Jun 2020 10:51am Savage wouldn't have made any difference. The whole team played like poo and the midfield stood back and watched the opposition gather the loose ball. The defensive game by the midfield was non-existent in the first half and didn't work hard enough off the ball. Savage maybe handy if we make the finals :D
Fair review. All you can truly control in footy is your level of effort and it looked like a sad indictment on that level of effort on Saturday afternoon. I didn't see anybody crashing in hard or getting in n under too often. We played largely bruise-free and that's exactly what a high possession side like Collingwood loves. Their pressure rating in Q1 was through the roof and what was ours? Pfft. That's why I'm so hard on Ross - he's an utterly hopeless leader - doesn't exactly set an example around vim n vigour and his kicking and decision making is below average. Say what you like about Geary but at least his poor footskills are negated by effort and toughness.

The main thing to note however is that St Kilda is in the worst possible position re: being a good team this year. We've got 5 new players who've barely played together (3 games and a pre-season) and have then trained in pairs for 80 days. And now they can't train together as a group. There's so little chance to gel as a group of humans let alone learn the nuances of each of their teammates' game styles and traits.

It's the well drilled sides who've got the majority of team members' together over the past few years that will prosper this year. I suspect the Tiges have lost the hunger; WC sooked it up when they had to leave home.

If we win 10 games this year I think we've have done very well. Yes - i'd love to make the finals but, one needs to be realistic about what we're up against.

Go you red, black & white warriors