Expanded Finals Carnival Plan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Expanded Finals Carnival Plan

..with best-of-three GF.

Please, please, pretty please, do not let this circus be an official AFL season with a real flag winner..

I am all for the fun and entertainment and re-couping some desperately needed cash - sounds great, but if they try to make it a legit season with a legit premiership it will be a Plastic Flag if there ever was one. Please don't let it happen. None of the stats, winds, losses, individual goals, Brownlow etc. should count. Please mo.

I smell Eddie McQuire again.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Expanded Finals Carnival Plan

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 26 Mar 2020 9:30pm ..with best-of-three GF.

Please, please, pretty please, do not let this circus be an official AFL season with a real flag winner..

I am all for the fun and entertainment and re-couping some desperately needed cash - sounds great, but if they try to make it a legit season with a legit premiership it will be a Plastic Flag if there ever was one. Please don't let it happen. None of the stats, winds, losses, individual goals, Brownlow etc. should count. Please mo.

If you can smell Eddie McGuire then i'd suggest you take a couple steps back and find some clean air. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 26 Mar 2020 10:15pm

If you can smell Eddie McGuire then i'd suggest you take a couple steps back and find some clean air. :lol:
Yes, practice your social distancing! 😁

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Thu 26 Mar 2020 10:20pm

But if I fart, will Eddie's fart be cancelled out?
I remember that game in Primary School - wholesome childhood.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 26 Mar 2020 11:09pm

Vince

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 28 Mar 2020 8:15pm

Vince
A mate when we were kids used to say "Vince" every time he farted.
I never understood the reason.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 28 Mar 2020 9:35pm

Vince
Ha!! Oh my.....I haven't heard that word for at least forty years!

Vince...I wonder what in God's name started that one..Vince!! FFS!!
Don't vince mate!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Problem is ScoMo has been a bit too soft and not
Locked us down properly. Sending overseas arrivals to hotel detention will help but should’ve occurred a week ago. There is enough community spread that it’s a real concern now.

Models suggest it could peak late June so by the time it all subsides enough to play footy it will be effing September!

If they went really hard arsed now and shut down EVERYTHING except REAL essential services - including all parks and beaches -(ie like NZ stage 4) we could have a mid May peak instead!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Harves Man
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 28 Mar 2020 9:35pm

Vince
There was a very valid reason, according to the primary school "rules of life", as I recall from a smidge over 40 years ago, growing up in the StKilda and Warnie heartland of the Beauie/Black Rock area. Like Shanegrambeau, I haven't heard the word for about 40 years.

Kids used to say Vince, as there was some kind of mutual understanding that when someone farted, it was open-season on striking them repeatedly, until they uttered the only magic word that would save them from this sudden (and much deserved in some cases) onslaught.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

When I met my wife she and her friends had this thing where if you farted if you didn’t say safe before someone said sixes, then you got punched in the arm six times lol

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020 8:20am When I met my wife she and her friends had this thing where if you farted if you didn’t say safe before someone said sixes, then you got punched in the arm six times lol
Women don't fart :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020 9:12am
stevie wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020 8:20am When I met my wife she and her friends had this thing where if you farted if you didn’t say safe before someone said sixes, then you got punched in the arm six times lol
Really Joff? Damn so I’ve been with a bloke since 1996? Ouch :mrgreen: :arrow:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020 9:21am
Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020 9:12am
Really Joff? Damn so I’ve been with a bloke since 1996? Ouch :mrgreen: :arrow:
Is her name Vince? :lol:

stevie
Saintsational Legend

It is now lol

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Who really cares.

Good to see this is the level of your woes.

minneapolis
Club Player

:oops:

Vince

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ha..so it was a ‘get out of jail’ pass. Say Vince, and you are immune. That makes sense, as n I wrote , ”don’t Vince mate“ it isn’t ring out truly ass just “Vince” did.

That moment when you have farted and people don’t know what is about to befall them, and then it strikes, and the disgust and anger , and this moment requires redemption. The peace has been disturbed and violated. So saying Vince is owning up to the crime and as therefore a way of sparing yourself from a pummeling.

Saint 58
Club Player

Vince ... and Slugs !!

Fart then say “Vince” ... you are safe from a pounding
If someone else says “Slugs” then you cop a pounding until you say “Vince”

When someone farts, say “Slugs” and if you could cover their mouth before they said “Vince” ... you can pound them mercilessly

I have passed this tradition on to my kids

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not going to happen.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 84ca5df629

"AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has categorically ruled out a best-of-three grand final series.

The theory was given support by AFL legend Leigh Matthews as a way of increasing revenue in 2020 as the competition faces a massive financial hit during the coronavirus crisis.

But McLachlan on Wednesday night said it wasn’t on the table.

“We haven’t contemplated three,” McLachlan told Seven News.

“One grand final is all we’ve thought about and we haven’t thought about anything beyond that.”

On Tuesday, Matthews echoed the sentiments of Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury, who threw his weight behind a best-of-three grand final series. GWS skipper Phil Davis is also open to the idea.

Relive classic AFL matches from the 60s to today on KAYO SPORTS. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly

“There’s so many ‘what ifs’, which might happen over the next seven or eight months,” Matthews told 3AW.

“I say to myself, 2020 is a survival season. How do we survive? How do we maximise revenues?

“To me, whoever ends up being premier at the end of it is less important than getting 100 (or) 140 games played.

“And if we can get more money out of a best-of-three grand final, go for it.”

The grand final could be played as late as December away from the MCG, with the league to get creative if given the green light to restart the season.

There will be no football before at least May 31, however McLachlan said he was “confident” the 2020 season would resume at some point.

“There is certainly a few months before we’ll be back, after that I’m not sure,” he said.

“But we’re confident we’ll get some footy away in the back half of the year.” McLachlan also dismissed suggestions of mergers or clubs relocating amid renewed talk of North Melbourne moving to Tasmania, which has been dismissed by the club.

“We’re working with the clubs on securing their futures through a revised funding model,” McLachlan said.

“We’ve been dealing with the financial situation at hand, talk of the current 18 clubs in the current structure and them coming out exactly the same at the end of this year.”

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

start finals when we resume. we came ninth. not bad!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Lockdown will be in place until 29th June in NSW. That would mean that the AFL will not be able to put matches on during that time given two of our teams (notwithstanding the second best team in the league) are based there.
Then there will need to be time to get players match conditioned with their team to actually be able to play out a match, and given the players can't train at all together that may take some time.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nd-of-june

Just my two cents, but if and when the season begins again I would like to see a Lightning Premiership competition instead of traditional finals. Given that some states like those isolated - Western Australia and Queensland in particular - may have longer lock downs than the rest of the Eastern States, a lightning premiership after 17 rounds played mid-week and on weekends with double headers would be preferable to a mickey mouse Grand Final which has an asterisk next to it for evermore.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Given the lockdown will now be in place until June 29th in NSW (and possibly nationwide) if and when the season re-starts, the AFL should play the 17 rounds mid week and on weekends and then have the better performed teams in that competition play off for a Lightning Premiership instead of a grand final. There would be some interest and it would recognise the season as being heavily compromised, which it is.

EDIT: NSW Premier has just stated that they are in for the long haul, and that restrictions will be in place for at least six months - which will take us up to September.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.