Social Club Membership - Only 1000 spots left!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Guys, can someone tell me how many GF tix in total are set aside for members of participating clubs?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Cro wrote:Am I right in reading that interstate social club members would not be guaranteed a GF ticket?

I would sign up, but it seems like I would be wasting my money.
How could supporting St Kilda be wasting money? Please don't tell me because you live interstate because I just don't buy that.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Guys, can someone tell me how many GF tix in total are set aside for members of participating clubs?
That is a good question as it appears to me as though the social club cap of 11,500 is set too high.

I thought that only approx 20,000 tickets go to members of competing clubs and they are then pro rated depending on each clubs membership.

e.g. If a club with 32,000 members played a club with 50,000 members in the grand final the ticket split would be as follows:

Club A 7,805 tickets
Club B 12,195 tickets

This is pretty much what happened in 1997. :(

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Liam_G
Club Player

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/art ... 0_gfc.html

The article above explains a few things in regards to the 2008 Grand Final

"GEELONG members will need to share 11,500 grand final tickets between them if the Cats make it to the last Saturday in September.

The AFL yesterday confirmed 23,000 tickets would be allocated between members of the two competing clubs this season."

""The basis of the allocation has been changed this year from a pro-rata basis of adult membership to a straight 50-50 split between the clubs," Keane said."

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Perfect

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I was trying to find the link to Archies statement about the tickets for the grandfinal- but the geelong link saysy it to

the club had a cap of 8,000 last year and to my knowledge only got 6,000 to 6,500 but I don't remember where I got that impression :shock:

I was surprised with the 11,500 when it came out given the struggle for teams in the G/F to get tickets for members.

BUt was pleased when I heard it confirmed that the AFL had atleast guarenteed that many..... still not enough.

If the club have managed to sell near to that then it's a great increase on previous years- particularly when the ,money is ALL the clubs.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/art ... 0_gfc.html

"GEELONG members will need to share 11,500 grand final tickets between them if the Cats make it to the last Saturday in September.

The AFL yesterday confirmed 23,000 tickets would be allocated between members of the two competing clubs this season."

""The basis of the allocation has been changed this year from a pro-rata basis of adult membership to a straight 50-50 split between the clubs," Keane said."
I wont go on with a long rant, but suffice to say it absolutely stinks that of a ground with 100,000 people in it only 23,000 seats are set aside for competing club members. Gawd I hate the f*cknuckles who run the AFL

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

I wont go on with a long rant, but suffice to say it absolutely stinks that of a ground with 100,000 people in it only 23,000 seats are set aside for competing club members. Gawd I hate the f*cknuckles who run the AFL
Here we go again. There are 50,000 AFL and MCC members for a start. Then to satify all the sponsors of clubs who tip in huge money to help run the club there is further tickets. My theory has been if you really want a ticket you will get one. My wife and myself got over 20 tickets in 1997 for the GF through various means and idnt pay over face value for any ticket.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Here we go again. There are 50,000 AFL and MCC members for a start. Then to satify all the sponsors of clubs who tip in huge money to help run the club there is further tickets. My theory has been if you really want a ticket you will get one. My wife and myself got over 20 tickets in 1997 for the GF through various means and idnt pay over face value for any ticket.
The problem is not the AFL and MCC members, after all they have at least contributed to the construction of the stands they sit in due to the membership fees they pay.
For me the problem is all of the tickets the AFL sells to interstate travel companies etc so you get all the weekenders flying in. Who can remember the 1997 GRF when the entire Ponsford Stand was occupied by Crows supporters and down the Jolimont end of the Southern Stand. Meanwhile there were little pockets of St Kilda supporters dotted around the game.
Every year the AFL puts up its hand and says "Not our Problem" but it is their problem. Oh to bring back the years you applied through the Herald every year. Never missed getting a seat and I went along as a neutral supporter just to watch the GF. And it was about ordinary supporters having the chance to go to the game and no member from the two competing teams ever missed out.
Now even as an AFL member, the last time I attended at GF I ended up with standing room, and to me the end of going to the GF unless its because the Saints are playing.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:

The problem is not the AFL and MCC members, after all they have at least contributed to the construction of the stands they sit in due to the membership fees they pay.
For me the problem is all of the tickets the AFL sells to interstate travel companies etc so you get all the weekenders flying in. Who can remember the 1997 GRF when the entire Ponsford Stand was occupied by Crows supporters and down the Jolimont end of the Southern Stand. Meanwhile there were little pockets of St Kilda supporters dotted around the game.
Every year the AFL puts up its hand and says "Not our Problem" but it is their problem. Oh to bring back the years you applied through the Herald every year. Never missed getting a seat and I went along as a neutral supporter just to watch the GF. And it was about ordinary supporters having the chance to go to the game and no member from the two competing teams ever missed out.
Now even as an AFL member, the last time I attended at GF I ended up with standing room, and to me the end of going to the GF unless its because the Saints are playing.
Please someone correct me if I am wrong here...

50,000 MCC and AFL Members

23,000 to one side

23,000 to one side

that's a total of 96,000 tickets

Not really much room to move IMO.

The problem Tracy is that back when you mentioned there was little or in fact no AFL Members.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I think the 23k is split between the two sides Fid.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:I think the 23k is split between the two sides Fid.
Yeah, that makes sense, but there seems to be no cut off for AFL Members it's just time served as a Silver Member to move to Gold Member and in future the 23,000 for Club supporters will dwindle IMO....

Does the AFL want all supporters to join the AFL membership and by joining and nominating the Club you support, then that money goes to the Club???

To me, that seems the direction it's taking

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:

explain to me why all AFL members should get access to grand final tickets? Most of the money made from these members goes up to sydney, west sydney, GC and exec. pay packets.

Clubs sell memberships with the notion that it is "subject to capacity". Why not AFL?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:

explain to me why all AFL members should get access to grand final tickets? Most of the money made from these members goes up to sydney, west sydney, GC and exec. pay packets.

Clubs sell memberships with the notion that it is "subject to capacity". Why not AFL?
Because they pay over $400 per person and that is part of the deal that you may get access to the GF. Also anyone can join so everyone has a chance to get access to the GF. Why should Medallian, MCC members and so on. Because that is part of the deal.

The AFL members is subjet to capacity as is the MCC. Matter of fact the AFL members have lost 5000 seats since the medallion club came into it. The AFL members also used to be free now costs $90 so it isnt a great deal.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Apart from the 23000 tickets for the 2 competing Clubs, all 16 Clubs get an allocation (I think around 1500) series tickets to use as they see fit.
Some they give to sponsors, others they sell off in various packages.

The money they make from those finals series tickets probably makes up the difference between a profit/loss for quite a number of Clubs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Apart from the 23000 tickets for the 2 competing Clubs, all 16 Clubs get an allocation (I think around 1500) series tickets to use as they see fit.

The money they make from those finals series tickets probably makes up the difference between a profit/loss for quite a number of Clubs.
I think they may have dropped it to about 1000 but yes that is the reason people see packages for sale. If we make the GF we still get the extra 1000 as well but the club will not be able to afford to give them to the members as it would cost the club a fortune.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Apart from the 23000 tickets for the 2 competing Clubs, all 16 Clubs get an allocation (I think around 1500) series tickets to use as they see fit.

I think they may have dropped it to about 1000 but yes that is the reason people see packages for sale. If we make the GF we still get the extra 1000 as well but the club will not be able to afford to give them to the members as it would cost the club a fortune.
Correct, I think it's now 1000 not 1500.

My idea is a little left field:

Lower the club's allocations further to 500, which would free up 8,000 seats for club members.

Increase the price of tickets by about 30% to partially offset the decrease in "fundraising" seats sold by the clubs.

Get the bloody state government(s) to pay an annual subsidy to the clubs for any further shortfall in revenue.

Basically, the MCC has funded the rebuilding of the MCG, whilst the governments have chipped in sweet F.A.! Time for them to pay, and allow more supporters into the big day IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Correct, I think it's now 1000 not 1500.

My idea is a little left field:

Lower the club's allocations further to 500, which would free up 8,000 seats for club members.

Increase the price of tickets by about 30% to partially offset the decrease in "fundraising" seats sold by the clubs.

Get the bloody state government(s) to pay an annual subsidy to the clubs for any further shortfall in revenue.

Basically, the MCC has funded the rebuilding of the MCG, whilst the governments have chipped in sweet F.A.! Time for them to pay, and allow more supporters into the big day IMO.
I think that would be great but the government would never give money to the AFL as they are too successful. It wouldnt get votes. They only give money to sports that will give them votes. As for the price increase that would be more bad publicity for the AFL even if it was for a good cause.

doristhesaint
Club Player

i have been an afl gold member for the last 16 years and i with my father and brother attend the GF every year and have unfortunatly only seen the saints once. i have paid to be a SC member of the saints for the last 6 years but could not afford both any longer as i go to more than just saints game and enjoy going to the GF i had to keep the afl memership

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Because they pay over $400 per person and that is part of the deal that you may get access to the GF. Also anyone can join so everyone has a chance to get access to the GF. Why should Medallian, MCC members and so on. Because that is part of the deal.

The AFL members is subjet to capacity as is the MCC. Matter of fact the AFL members have lost 5000 seats since the medallion club came into it. The AFL members also used to be free now costs $90 so it isnt a great deal.
It's a pretty piss poor argument IMO to just say, "It's part of the deal". So what. The "deal" is structured so that people who are passionate about their club but can't afford to pay $400 a a year on top of their club membership can't access the most cherished day of the season.
And how long do you have to wait to become an AFL member?
You go on to say, "Matter of fact the AFL members have lost 5000 seats since the medallion club came into it. " More of the same. It's got nowt to do with who's passionate about the game and their club and everything to do with who can pay the most money. Farkin disgrace IMO.
How many of those 5000 medallion club tickets are taken by real lovers of the game and how many are taken by noddys who's only game of the year is the GF and are more interested in the piss, food and networking than they are in the footy? Mehhh!!!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Face it folks the last time the Saints won a grand final was 1966.
My mum had my grandfather's ladies ticket at the time so she gave it to me for the whole finals series - the first VFL games I attended as a kid.

That was 43 years ago.
Imagine if you were not there in 2009 and you have to wait another 43 years.

You must be there, this September, no excuses.

That means you need - Social Club, MCC full, Medallon club, AFL gold with St Kilda club support, or cheer squad membership to be sure of being there.
(Unless you are a player, club sponsor, coterie group or have acess to a corporate corruption box).

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.
AFL membership has not paid one cent to the construction of the MCG.
That money is paid to the AFL to decide how to squander including Demetriou's and Anderson's exhorbitant salaries, AFL commisioner's fringe benefits etc.
The stands were built at the expense of the ground managers - the Melbourne Cricket Club.
They have received some money through the State Government appointed and controlled Melbourne Cricket Ground Trust especially for the Commonwealth Games.
It is the membership fees of the Melbourne Cricket club members and any games profit that services the hundreds of millions of dollars debt run up for the ground construction.

The Melbourne Cricket club retains around 25,000 places when they lease the ground to the AFL for the grand final.
The AFL controls the distribution of the other 75,000 places.
The AFL only assign 23,000 of those places to the competing clubs.
The AFL's special interests receive the rest including non competing clubs, medallion club and AFL members, travel agents.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's a pretty piss poor argument IMO to just say, "It's part of the deal". So what. The "deal" is structured so that people who are passionate about their club but can't afford to pay $400 a a year on top of their club membership can't access the most cherished day of the season.
You go on to say, "Matter of fact the AFL members have lost 5000 seats since the medallion club came into it. " More of the same. It's got nowt to do with who's passionate about the game and their club and everything to do with who can pay the most money. Farkin disgrace IMO.
How many of those 5000 medallion club tickets are taken by real lovers of the game and how many are taken by noddys who's only game of the year is the GF and are more interested in the piss, food and networking than they are in the footy? Mehhh!!!
It doesn't matter if you are the son of Dick Pratt, the Prime Minister of Australia or the son of Princess Mary of Denmark, when you apply to join the Melbourne Cricket club you have to wait your turn on the waiting list.

The AFL Membership is not a club.
Members don't have a vote.
It is all dictated by the AFL administration.

When the Medallion club was formed, the AFL decided that rich (corporate) Medallion "subscribers" would queue jump all existing AFL silver membership "subscribers".

When that caused the total number of gold "subscribers" and medallion "subscribers" to exceed the AFL Membership enclosure capacity, gold "subscribers" who had paid to secure access to the grand final missed out.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

just a reminder ...

st.kilda membership + st.kilda social club membership = access to buy a grand final ticket if we play

all money from the memberships goes to and stays with the club

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Might be a poor reason but the AFL give those monies received for being an AFL back to the clubs as a distribution. Without access to the GF there would be no AFL membership. Also in the past todays AFL members were Waverley members and they helped build that ground and as such the Saints benefited when it was sold. The Saints if they make the GF will receive an extra 1000 tickets as will every club to do with what they want. Do you think they will give them back to the members. No. Because as much as you hate it the GF is a corporate day as much as a day for the fans and unless the stadium increases to 200000 it will always be that way as it is an important fund raiser for all clubs.