FOOTY FIRST?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Ah well..at least theres a ready-made excuse for losing games in 09..every game we lose by less than 10 goals CLEARLY would have been won if Cousins had been playing :roll:
Well, GT's been gone so long now.... :wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I find it truly bizarre that some people seem to have more loyalty to Ben Cousins than they do the football club.
Is it loyalty to Cousins or simply ire towards those who have prevented him from contributing to the team?

JeffDunne

The Fireman wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:I find it truly bizarre that some people seem to have more loyalty to Ben Cousins than they do the football club.
Is it loyalty to Cousins or simply ire towards those who have prevented him from contributing to the team?
Aren't they one in the same?

There's only one person responsible for the seeds of doubt and that person is Ben Cousins (and his manager).

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
I believe that if Ross wanted BC, he would've got him.
If that's true, then I'm completely comfortable with the decision.

Otherwise, I'm not.

Not at all.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I don't think the board is the Club... or venting on an internet forum is unforgivably disloyal.

Not all members have the Saints emblem tattooed on their scrotum either, and I for one don't have a problem with that.

This 'you're an unquestioning Saints member for life no matter what, or you can F*** off' attitude pushed by some is pretty lame.

JeffDunne

markp wrote:
I don't think the board is the Club... or venting on an internet forum is unforgivably disloyal.

Not all members have the Saints emblem tattooed on their scrotum either, and I for one don't have a problem with that.

This 'you're an unquestioning Saints member for life no matter what, or you can F*** off' attitude pushed by some is pretty lame.
Huh?

Not sure why you quoted my post when dribbling this crap as I'm the last person to push that line.

More than happy for people to question the board, in fact I encourage it, but some of the hysterical clap-trap posted here since last night is downright embarrassing.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I heard that Grant Thomas is somehow involved in this.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Aren't they one in the same?

There's only one person responsible for the seeds of doubt and that person is Ben Cousins (and his manager).
Not in my eyes, I have a loyalty to the club, my 30 year membership will attest to that but I will always stand up to argue a decision made by the club hierarchy that i think is wrong.
My only feelings towards Ben is that he would have been a valuable addition to the team and would have boosted our chances for a shot at the flag next year. Short term gain? bring it on. I have no doubts about that.
I want to see my club successful, that's where my loyalties are at.

markp
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
markp wrote:

Huh?

Not sure why you quoted my post when dribbling this crap as I'm the last person to push that line.

More than happy for people to question the board, in fact I encourage it, but some of the hysterical clap-trap posted here since last night is downright embarrassing.
It says pushed by some douche... if I quote your post does every sentence in my post have to refer to yours?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:With the benefit of a night sleep, doesn't it seem strange that the Pies research for 6 months, and we research for 5 months and come to the same verdict?

Perhaps it sais something.........things we might not know but if we did....
I think you may be on to something...but what concerns me today, in reflection, is that we've wasted about an extra month (ie. I mean the Pies started their work before us, and finished before), and the BC distraction may have got in the way of the National Draft and our overall strategy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
JeffDunne

Sorry Firey, I didn't make my point clear.

What I meant by "one in the same", was that IMO it is Ben that prevented St Kilda signing him and nobody else.

I was more than happy for the club to make the call on him and would have loved to seen him in our colours next year . . . but I'm equally as happy for the club to make the call the other way if they had too many doubts.

Must admit I wasn't impressed with Nixon's performance after the AFL announced the decision as said so at the time, even more so when I heard he hadn't actually submitted a hair sample.

TBH, I reckon the club probably feared Nixon as much as they did Ben getting back on the blow.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Sponsors were obviously one part of the equation. The coach also had reservations if you believe the reports. He has a pretty big say on footy issues.

you believe wrong. EVERYONE knows that RL and the players wanted BC. He was rolled by the floggers on the Board.

Thats what happened. Its a FACT.

JeffDunne

You sort of feel that if the head coach didn't want him then there wasn't any point in the board even discussing it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Sponsors were obviously one part of the equation. The coach also had reservations if you believe the reports. He has a pretty big say on footy issues.

you believe wrong. EVERYONE knows that RL and the players wanted BC. He was rolled by the floggers on the Board.

Who told you that's what happened?
Is the source credible?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Sorry Firey, I didn't make my point clear.

What I meant by "one in the same", was that IMO it is Ben that prevented St Kilda signing him and nobody else.

I was more than happy for the club to make the call on him and would have loved to seen him in our colours next year . . . but I'm equally as happy for the club to make the call the other way if they had too many doubts.

Must admit I wasn't impressed with Nixon's performance after the AFL announced the decision as said so at the time, even more so when I heard he hadn't actually submitted a hair sample.

TBH, I reckon the club probably feared Nixon as much as they did Ben getting back on the blow.
Agreed, Nixon's handling of this has been amateurish at best but was thinking maybe the club could have seen past that and purely focused on the short term gain. It's done and dusted and we will all have to live with the decision, it's just one that I disagree with.
Either way It won't be long before we find out if the decision was good or bad. I'm willing to admit I was wrong if Ben fails but was always willing to take the gamble.

JeffDunne

The Fireman wrote:Agreed, Nixon's handling of this has been amateurish at best but was thinking maybe the club could have seen past that and purely focused on the short term gain. It's done and dusted and we will all have to live with the decision, it's just one that I disagree with.
Either way It won't be long before we find out if the decision was good or bad. I'm willing to admit I was wrong if Ben fails but was always willing to take the gamble.
Me too but I don't know what they know.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:With the benefit of a night sleep, doesn't it seem strange that the Pies research for 6 months, and we research for 5 months and come to the same verdict?

I think you may be on to something...but what concerns me today, in reflection, is that we've wasted about an extra month (ie. I mean the Pies started their work before us, and finished before), and the BC distraction may have got in the way of the National Draft and our overall strategy.
How much did this cost the club?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Agreed, Nixon's handling of this has been amateurish at best but was thinking maybe the club could have seen past that and purely focused on the short term gain. It's done and dusted and we will all have to live with the decision, it's just one that I disagree with.
Me too but I don't know what they know.
Well I wish they would tell us because one thing that I do know is that the boy can play.
But would also like to know your girlfriends name in the avatar, not that I'm a lunch cutter.

JeffDunne

The Fireman wrote:But would also like to know your girlfriends name in the avatar, not that I'm a lunch cutter.
TBH, I've no idea.

Was searching for an avatar and she popped-up (so to speak)

Thought it was an image worth sharing. By the reaction she's been getting others seem to agree. 8-)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

How much did this cost the club?
good question.....lots of time, not necessarily lots of money, but lots of time that could've been spent in the past month looking at the draft and other deficiencies in our list IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Going from the 'strategic leaking' to Caroline Wilson, Ross had reservations. I think for the most part Ross wanted to want BC, but in the end, there was a nagging doubt.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
JeffDunne

SENsaintsational wrote:Going from the 'strategic leaking' to Caroline Wilson, Ross had reservations. I think for the most part Ross wanted to want BC, but in the end, there was a nagging doubt.
I'm sure there was two parts to Ross recommendation.

One being from a football perspective the other from the obvious.

On one I imagine he was 100% sure, the other, anything less and the board would feel rightly nervous.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Going from the 'strategic leaking' to Caroline Wilson, Ross had reservations. I think for the most part Ross wanted to want BC, but in the end, there was a nagging doubt.
I'm sure there was two parts to Ross recommendation.

One being from a football perspective the other from the obvious.

On one I imagine he was 100% sure, the other, anything less and the board would feel rightly nervous.
Yep agree. If it were purely football, it would never have needed board approval.

Never been a situation like this before I would think.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Dear oh dear oh dear...someone else who gets their inner thoughts mixed up with fact.

SO where did you hide at the board meeting to know this?? Behind the pot plant? Under the table?
EVERYONE knows that RL and the players wanted BC.
Apparently 750 million Chinese people really didnt care :P

Oh and Caro and Patrick Smith didnt seem to, even if they were hypothesising

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Shades
Club Player

I dont think ben is a junkie i think his more of a party boy.

and the only reason the bored got in was coz of that whole footy 1st and when it comes to them to live up 2 the name they fail.