Assistant coaches - any rumours, news??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

onlooker wrote:Can't understand why they haven't announced replacements. Training is imminent with a couple of new coaches that will probably not know the players or the coaching practices all that well. I would have thought to get them on deck asap would have been a good move. These two appointments will be critical to the club's success in 2009 after losing both assistants at the end of 2008. Perhaps McGuane is worth considering. The season he spent with the mid field group did show positive results.
I would imagine that the first few weeks would be about fitness rather than tactics and game plan - so they probably have some time up their sleeve.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Am a tad surprised theres been nothing mentioned at all.....we cost cutting in prep for next years Sunday draw?

“Yeah….nah””
Quixote
SS Life Member

IMO the assistant(s) we end up with will be more like assistant-assistant's.

Got the feeling RL and SOS are the real leaders of our current philosophy - and they people around them are there to back them up.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
onlooker
Club Player

fingers wrote:
onlooker wrote:Can't understand why they haven't announced replacements. Training is imminent with a couple of new coaches that will probably not know the players or the coaching practices all that well. I would have thought to get them on deck asap would have been a good move. These two appointments will be critical to the club's success in 2009 after losing both assistants at the end of 2008. Perhaps McGuane is worth considering. The season he spent with the mid field group did show positive results.
I would imagine that the first few weeks would be about fitness rather than tactics and game plan - so they probably have some time up their sleeve.
I agree that fitness work is the key at the start but it is not a good look and leads to speculation as to why all the people who will have responsibility for the playing group are not there.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

If they don't find anyone suitable, maybe Lyon will do the midfield himself and hire a new forward coach :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

onlooker wrote:
fingers wrote:
I agree that fitness work is the key at the start but it is not a good look and leads to speculation as to why all the people who will have responsibility for the playing group are not there.
Who cares what people think? Take the time to get it right.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
onlooker wrote:
fingers wrote:
yeah that's what I reckon.....my glass half full approach likes to think that they are doing some real homework before getting someone.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

fingers wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
onlooker wrote:
fingers wrote:
yeah that's what I reckon.....my glass half full approach likes to think that they are doing some real homework before getting someone.
Apparently... due to the amazing number of Saintsational members applying for the job, the club is swamped with resumes, and therefore taking it's time to read them all.

The anti-Lyon brigade have been cut from the shortlist. :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
kezza
Club Player

I heard that Cain Ackland will be in charge of the rucks.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

kezza wrote:I heard that Cain Ackland will be in charge of the rucks.
whatever cardboard-sniffing troll!

At least Harvs has enough intregity not to get corrupted at Cardboard Park.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Assistant coaches are hugely overrated IMO...

Sure, they ease the workload on the senior coach, but as far as im concerned, they are nothing more than witches hat placers...

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

unfortunately he's already locked in at Carltoon

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I heard he jumped at the chance.....about a week before the offer was made

BOOM BOOM

Batnoe

fingers wrote:

BOOM BOOM
I really hope he is appointed.... he can teach the other guys to jump..too early

He will be good if all he does is give the players some orange quarters during their breaks

GrumpyOne

fingers wrote:

BOOM BOOM
Nice one Fingers. :lol:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
undecided
Club Player

scott west

onlooker
Club Player

undecided wrote:scott west
Is this just a rumour or a reliable rumour????

undecided
Club Player

im not too sure i just heard it on 3AW, they may of just been joking tho

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

undecided wrote:im not too sure i just heard it on 3AW, they may of just been joking tho
3AW don;t get enough real info so they mke it up and suppose and surmise and what if.......

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

News
St Kilda close to finalising coaches

By Luke Holmesby 12:04 PM Fri 14 November, 2008

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon's staff could be finalised by next week

ST KILDA could announce two new assistant coaches for Ross Lyon early next week as the club finalises its staff in preparation for 2009.

The Saints are one of the last clubs to settle their off-field team after midfield coach Anthony Rock and forwards coach John Barker made respective returns to North Melbourne and Hawthorn.

New football manager Greg Hutchison said the club had thoroughly explored its options.

"We are hopefully in a position early next week to make some announcements on that," he said.

"We’ve spent the last week and a bit speaking to a lot of people and interviewing a lot of people."

From next year the St Kilda reserves will play with Sandringham in the VFL and Zebras coach Andy Lovell will also have a development role with the Saints, working with Danny Sexton.

General manager of football development Tony Elshaug and assistant coach Stephen Silvagni will remain with the club.

St Kilda begins pre-season training on Monday with a fitness and skills session in Brighton.

Up to eight players will have delayed starts because of post-season surgery but Hutchison said the list is looking healthy.

One of the recovering players, key defender Matt Maguire, is making progress after three seasons battling serious leg and foot injuries.

"Matt had a run this morning (Thursday). I saw him in the gym at lunch time. He’s on track and going pretty well," Hutchison said.

"I have no idea if he’d be right for round one next year. I haven’t had a meeting with any of the medical people. All I know is he’s had a run. We’ll have a better idea next week when we’re all back on deck."

Hutchison added the club was busy devising its strategy in preparation for the NAB AFL Draft on November 29.

"I would say that the week leading up to the draft would be the time that we will have a bit more of an idea about who we are going to go after," Hutchison said.

"It’s a little bit difficult because we’re at pick 13 so it’s pretty hard to know what is going to happen.

"(List manager) Matthew Drain, (recruiting manager) John Peake and (recruiting advisor) John Beveridge have consistently met to discuss who is in the draft and what our options are so I’m sure they’ll come up with what they think is going to fall out and pick the right player that St Kilda need."
for saints.com.au

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Legendary
Club Player

Leigh Tudor appointed as an assistant coach - confirmed in the Herald Sun today.

Wonder if he will be forwards coach or midfield coach? As a player was mostly played up forward with the Cats.

Has been very successful as Geelong's VFL coach.

I think that's actually a pretty good get

onlooker
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Leigh Tudor appointed as an assistant coach - confirmed in the Herald Sun today.

Wonder if he will be forwards coach or midfield coach? As a player was mostly played up forward with the Cats.

I agree. Good choice. The question I have is are we chasing another Assistant to replace the two we have lost or have I missed something with the Scorpions' coach taking up a position?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Maybe Hawthorn have taken on Barker out of pity to teach him how to be a forward coach.

He sure as hell didn't show that he had any clue in his 2 years at Moorabbin.

i don't think ross was too sad to see him go........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

onlooker wrote:
Legendary wrote:Leigh Tudor appointed as an assistant coach - confirmed in the Herald Sun today.

I agree. Good choice. The question I have is are we chasing another Assistant to replace the two we have lost or have I missed something with the Scorpions' coach taking up a position?
Hutchison has moved into Football Operations Manager, which was Drain's position this year. Drain has moved onto the esteemed title of List Manager. Sandy's coach, Andy Lovell, will also work with us in a development capacity.

So in answer to your question, we will be getting another assistant coach I'd imagine.

The Saints are coming!