Nerves?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

miskycat wrote:Oh, I'm so glad to have read these responses. I've been feeling as if I must be crazy this week to be feeling so worried. I take comfort in reading fellow Sainters posts.
I'll be there Saturday night.
GO SAINTS!
The only real way to avoid these nerves is to follow a team that never partakes in September action. But hey, who wants to barrack for the Tiges!

We want to play in Finals and we want success and nerves are just something that comes with that.

Let's just hope we've got reasons to be nervous this time next week :wink:

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote: The only real way to avoid these nerves is to follow a team that never partakes in September action.
That would explain why I was never nervous growing up :wink:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
PakenhamSaint
Club Player

Funny I'm not really nervous. I just haven't really thought about the game. Come Saturday night I excpect the nerves to come.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Nah. It's not nerves. We have nothing to fear.

It is expectation and anticipation.

I was nervous last year. That gets you nowhere.

If we win this week, I'm backing us in for the big one. Regardless of who we are playing.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saint3d
Club Player

Oldtimer wrote:I'm nervous before every Saints game, even the pre season games let alone the finals. I have just turned 60 yo and was 16 when we won the only flag. I have spent a lot of nervous energy over the last 44 years with no payback in flags but received plenty in other games and moments. I'm very nervous about Saturday night especially because we are favourites. Only have to think back to the games against Essendon this year for the stomach to start to churn. Go Sainters! Go Lenny!
You sound like you could be my dad.

Anyway I haven't shown any physical symptoms as yet. But when I'm not distracted by other things my mind goes into overdrive. By Saturday afternoon I'll be sick to my stomach.

What I keep remembering though is that the team so far has done everything right this year. There has been no indication this trend is likely to change.

missgez
Club Player

Definitely feeling a mixture of nerves and excitement! Can't wait for Saturday night but dreading it at the same time. Winning the qualifying final puts you in a nice bubble for two weeks.

The pain of 09 has slowly washed away. We always hoped we would be in the mix again but to actually be here on the eve of another prelim feels a little surreal!

No insult to the Doggies but based on injuries, form etc we are rightful favourites for Saturday night and you know what it means if we win...!

Last season was so wonderful right up until the fateful end. This season has been so different. Perhaps this is wishful thinking but it really seems as if the rollercoaster of the last 12 months has galvanised the boys with the kind of determination to take it all the way.

But you have to get there first right so... two more sleeps.... GO SAINTS!

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Im a few levels up from nervous.

Been very worried about an ill family member who it seemed was so so close to the pearly gates, unbealivably he has really improved (which is truely amazine given the circumstances)
I took tuesday off work, caught up with a very good friend for lunch, ordered a coffee and helped myself to her pack of smokes.. :shock: i quit smoking new years eve and havent yet looked back..
I smoked about half of it before i realised what i had done. Apparently i was talking about how i was getting to the game on saturday!

Why is this week going so slow!!

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

IluvHarvey wrote:
Saint_Ash wrote:I can't afford to be nervous about the foot yet.

I need to get through my basketball final tonight first.
Good Luck with that. Let us know how you go!!
Victory!!

Now a week off and straight through to the GF. I may need to pull up stumps early on any AFL grand final celebrations/sorrow drowning to make sure I am in a fit state to play on the Wednesday night.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Nah. It's not nerves. We have nothing to fear.

If we win this week, I'm backing us in for the big one. Regardless of who we are playing.
Thats exactly how I feel

Another opportunity awaits!
yipper
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:
bigred wrote:Nah. It's not nerves. We have nothing to fear.

Thats exactly how I feel
I too feel that we will go on and win the flag if we get thru this week. Nerves have hit as of today - officially. I have not been able to do any work today at all. Today is selection day and the countdown is on. Excitement at being there - but anxiety levels are slowly rising. It will be full on by Sat nite.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Its funny comparing this year's PF to last years... last year, even though the dogs had a much better side than now, I predicted an easy 6 goal win!

Of course we all know it was a tight game, only sealed by Roo at the end.

Saturday night we are close to that 09 form playing a weakened dogs. I'm not as nervous as last year's final qtr but probably will be if we happen to struggle a bit come Saturday.

While I'm here, with 5 minutes to go in last years' GF, I couldn't watch. I went and sat outside. My mate was watching and I waited for his cheer to indicate a Saints goal. But all i got was a curse when Chappy kicked the goal. I came back inside thinking it was over and saw the final minute. I surprised myself by watching the cup preso but i wanted to be with the boys and share a tiny bit of their pain.

That pain will see us through Saturday night and again in the big one...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

this year i was as confident as i am now about sats game (said we were a shoe in to win by 5 goal plus)

kinda scary

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Yes I'm nervous, after 44 years of failure to get another cup, I will be nervous.
Would really appreciate a similar game to Cat's Pies prelim last year, or Hawthorn and us in 08, except with us playing the Hawthorn roll and the Dogs playing our role sadly watching a favourite son go through his last paces.
All I know is if we play like we did against Geelong to half time Saturday night, there will be no coming back for the Bulldogs this week.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Now that the email has come out about how and when to find out if you've been successful in the ballot for GF tickets, I am starting to feel the butterflies doing tumble turns.

Maxstar22
Club Player

I bury myself in work and then I look up and I either see a fellow Saints work collegue, my shrine to the boys on my wall or I received a text message from a fellow SS'r asking me how my butterflies are.

I am on holidays next week as well so combining the countdown for both the footy and time off has been a killer.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Oh yep, I am starting to feel sick when I am surfing on here and when I start thinking about the game.
I just don't know how bad I am going to be once the National Anthem begins on Saturday night.

GO SAINTS! I want it too bad, I know we all do......

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Born in Moorabbin
Club Player

I am feeling more nervous about getting tickets than anything!
Even if the Dogs do get ahead of us early, we finish stronger. Full confidence in the boys! 8-)

Allwewantisaflag
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Admittedly I'm more nervous for the GF! Yes, I'm jumping forward a week, but I can't not think about playing the winner of tonight should we get through! To lose a second GF appearance to either Geelong or the Filth would absolutely crush me! Both the Cats and the Pies are beatable in the form we're in, but I'm as nervous as hell! It's getting tpthe pointy end of the season now folks! Only weeks in it! And we're there again!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

i am now getting more nervous. and hope the players are not listening to the hype thinking it will be a walk int he park. As others have pointed out, only 2 out of their top 22 are mssing.!