Eddy v Swan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Eddy v Swan

Could it be that Eddy has been earmarked to play a run with role on Swan when we inevitably meet them in the finals this year.

Eddy has a very strong and resilient body, and his tackling ability and effort have never been doubted.

Speed has never been a strength of Swan's, so Eddy's shortcoming in that area wouldn't be a worry.

And most importantly, it has been widely noted that Eddy's long distance running was the best at the club. Only Rob could beat Harvey in time trials when they played together.

I also read that after the big Roo, he is the hardest trainer.

All these attributes - big strong body, great tackling ability, great fitness and capability to run all day long - would seem to me like the perfect option to nullify the dangerous Swan.

CJ you might ask...
Well seeing as Didak is in career best form, and CJ has a great record on shutting down Didak time and time again, he may be needed in that area.

With Eddy on Swan, CJ on Didak, and Baker on the dangerous small forward we may have all the Pies weapons covered when it counts.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

what gives you the impression eddy has been earmarked to play on swan?

FQF
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:what gives you the impression eddy has been earmarked to play on swan?
1. Given the requirement of CJ elsewhere.

2. Eddy being rushed back into the side after just one (average) game back with Sandy.

2a. Coincided with the surge of the Pies.

3. The logical element of matching up their attributes and seeing a decent match.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:what gives you the impression eddy has been earmarked to play on swan?
Whether he has or he hasn't, the reasoning given is solid...I like the idea personally.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So we are going to have Eddy in all the clearances. I dont think so. Cant have CJ and Eddy. That means one of our stars doesnt play in the clearances. No way will it happen.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

he could do a job...john bingley reincarnated..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:So we are going to have Eddy in all the clearances. I dont think so. Cant have CJ and Eddy. That means one of our stars doesnt play in the clearances. No way will it happen.
Well not necessarily. If CJ is used on Didak, he will be out of the clearances for the most part.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:So we are going to have Eddy in all the clearances. I dont think so. Cant have CJ and Eddy. That means one of our stars doesnt play in the clearances. No way will it happen.
Well not necessarily. If CJ is used on Didak, he will be out of the clearances for the most part.
Didak has been running through the middle of the ground for most part of this year.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Didak has been running through the middle of the ground for most part of this year.
Also spends a good chunk of time on the forward flank, playing as an outside link player.

You are right, Eddy and CJ couldn't be in there together. But depending on other variables in the match, it is possible that Eddy will be needed (and possibly be better suited) to shutting down Swan.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i'm willing to tip that ross will have eddy in the side come finals time......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Also spends a good chunk of time on the forward flank, playing as an outside link player.

You are right, Eddy and CJ couldn't be in there together. But depending on other variables in the match, it is possible that Eddy will be needed (and possibly be better suited) to shutting down Swan.
I have never seen him shut down any clearance player at the Saints.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
In previous years it hasn't been necessary. We had Hayes and Balls clearly on top of clearances in most games.

This year our clearances have been way down, and Collingwood's have been one of their greatest weapons.

A unique situation calls for innovation.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
In previous years it hasn't been necessary. We had Hayes and Balls clearly on top of clearances in most games.

This year our clearances have been way down, and Collingwood's have been one of their greatest weapons.

But what proof is there to say he can do it? You dont start doing those things in either a prelim or GF.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But what proof is there to say he can do it? You dont start doing those things in either a prelim or GF.
There might not be blatant proof. But we would not want to give away any new tricks either.

Eddy might have been assigned smaller (yet similar) tasks within games that may test his ability.

Who knows what they do on the training track. Almost always closed sessions... that can only seem to indicate they've got something to hide.

Might be watching vision and studying Swan, getting tips off CJ. A whole range of things.

I don't think it is as far fetched as you seem to think.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

There are more important players to tag in Collingwood's side than Dane Swan.

I'd tag Pendlebury & Didak, long before I'd tag Dane Swan.

FQF
SS Life Member

The Saintsational Man wrote:There are more important players to tag in Collingwood's side than Dane Swan.

I'd tag Pendlebury & Didak, long before I'd tag Dane Swan.
This idea that Swan gets the ball but is not dangerous with it has been bandied around this forum now for a couple of years.

Whilst earlier on in his career it may have been a legitimate statement, there is no disputing the fact that Swan is now an elite player (who will most likely take home the Brownlow this year). When Swan is on, Collingwood is on.

He is the most important player to their team and has the ability to drive them forward against the tide.

I know that Ross won't be blinded by this misconception that Swan is still a substandard player who racks up endless useless possessions, and it's about time the rest of us recoginsed this too.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Eddy v Swan

FQF wrote:Could it be that Eddy has been earmarked to play a run with role on Swan when we inevitably meet them in the finals this year.

Eddy has a very strong and resilient body, and his tackling ability and effort have never been doubted.

Speed has never been a strength of Swan's, so Eddy's shortcoming in that area wouldn't be a worry.

And most importantly, it has been widely noted that Eddy's long distance running was the best at the club. Only Rob could beat Harvey in time trials when they played together.

I also read that after the big Roo, he is the hardest trainer.

All these attributes - big strong body, great tackling ability, great fitness and capability to run all day long - would seem to me like the perfect option to nullify the dangerous Swan.

CJ you might ask...
Well seeing as Didak is in career best form, and CJ has a great record on shutting down Didak time and time again, he may be needed in that area.

With Eddy on Swan, CJ on Didak, and Baker on the dangerous small forward we may have all the Pies weapons covered when it counts.
Possibly the most uneducated post I've seen.

Speed has never been a strength of Swan's????
It's one of his best assets. He has amazing pace.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think RL has more in mind for Eddy to play HF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
midas_touch
Club Player

Dumb call about Swan not being quick. He has tremendous pace, he just doesnt look quick because of his running style.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

midas_touch wrote:Dumb call about Swan not being quick. He has tremendous pace, he just doesnt look quick because of his running style.
Correct, see my post two posts up

FQF
SS Life Member

midas_touch wrote:Dumb call about Swan not being quick. He has tremendous pace, he just doesnt look quick because of his running style.
Too quick to be contained by Eddy?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

FQF wrote:
Eddy is a plodder who can plod all day... probably all week in fact.

Swan is quicker that probably anyone on our list

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I quite like Robert Eddy.....

BUT

if he's our secret strategic weapon for beating the Pies then (to quote the Chaser boys)

We're f***ed

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:
FQF wrote:
Eddy is a plodder who can plod all day... probably all week in fact.

Swan is quicker that probably anyone on our list
Over 20m he would be one of the fastest in the comp. Stephen Hill would be the fastest by a far margin though.

If it were over 100m, then Rhys would have him covered because of the long strides he takes compared to Swan's weird running style.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

P.S. I'm glad to see at least some on here are finally starting to recognize Dane Swan as a quality player.

Yes, he looks a bit awkward and clumsy. But he's amazingly good at getting the ball forward from the middle into dangerous positions. Maybe not lace out onto the chest, but on the half volley or rolling along the ground. But he just keeps on getting hold of the ball and getting it up there: more than any other AFL player. And, inevitably, a percentage of this mqde of disposals lead to goals.

A very, very dangerous player.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift