Tommy Lynch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Tommy Lynch

Missed the game, and probably a good one to miss. However was wondering how Tommy went Friday night and if he looks like a likely type

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tommy Lynch

footynut wrote:Missed the game, and probably a good one to miss. However was wondering how Tommy went Friday night and if he looks like a likely type
Some have been hard on him and some have been soft on him. I think just forgetting the game is the best thing. He was asked to play on Fletcher which was by far a to big of an ask. Better for the run in racing terms.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully his next game will be one where his confidence can feed off a more inspired performance from the rest of the team.

Would be very harsh to pass judgement on the kid from Friday night.

I think after 3 or 4 games will give us a better indication of what he is made of as a player.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'd be giving him more than 3 or 4...pretty sure there are plenty where clubs are not sure of a player after 20, 30 oe even 50 games!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:I'd be giving him more than 3 or 4...pretty sure there are plenty where clubs are not sure of a player after 20, 30 oe even 50 games!
Indeed.

Jack Riewoldt had 5 disposals and no goals in his first game. Look at him now!!!!

I am not comparing except that your first game means squat.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:I'd be giving him more than 3 or 4...pretty sure there are plenty where clubs are not sure of a player after 20, 30 oe even 50 games!
Indeed.

Jack Riewoldt had 5 disposals and no goals in his first game. Look at him now!!!!

I am not comparing except that your first game means squat.
Hope he gets another game next week but if he does nothing he has a rest. Plenty of time to come good.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Was the victim of a horrnedous mismatch in the first qtr. Fletcher went to him and tore him apart , running off him at will. Reckon that gave his confidence a jolt and he struggled for the rest of the game.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

I remember Sam Gilberts first few games, people saying hes a dud from behind me, give em a chance

Before Im 85
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Didn't do much, took a couple of marks out in front, missed a golden chance from 20 in front on the run, didn't show much defensively either.

But it wasn't a night where a kid like that could really stem the immense tide going the other way.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Was the victim of a horrnedous mismatch in the first qtr. Fletcher went to him and tore him apart , running off him at will. Reckon that gave his confidence a jolt and he struggled for the rest of the game.
correct.

WTF was Lyon thinking, or was he as pathetic as he called his own players?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saint66au wrote:Was the victim of a horrnedous mismatch in the first qtr. Fletcher went to him and tore him apart , running off him at will. Reckon that gave his confidence a jolt and he struggled for the rest of the game.
correct.

So you think calling the effort put in by the players shouldn't have been labelled as pathetic?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
correct.

If you heard the Presser you will know that Lyon said that players and coaches including himself were all at fault.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
super dooper
Club Player

I think the biggest battle is between the ears...

It must be hard for a kid to come into a top 4 team and BELIEVE he belongs in the best 22 knowlingly aware that there are seasoned players ready to come into the team...

The sooner people believe they belong in the grade the more confidence they exude... His form in the VFL has been very good, hence selection.

I think some people on here aren't exactly aware of the the jump in skill and class from VFL to AFL...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

before the essendon game i said:
i reckon he'll play this week and next week, average about 8 touches, 3 marks, kick a goal, miss a couple, then get dropped.
i stand by that. he's just played his first game, and found it pretty hard to get into the contest, and also failed to make the most of his opportunities. fine. give him another run and then let him go back to sandy and think about what he's learned. hopefully it sets him on the path to being a good player in the future.

bozza1980
Club Player

bergholt wrote:before the essendon game i said:
i reckon he'll play this week and next week, average about 8 touches, 3 marks, kick a goal, miss a couple, then get dropped.
i stand by that. he's just played his first game, and found it pretty hard to get into the contest, and also failed to make the most of his opportunities. fine. give him another run and then let him go back to sandy and think about what he's learned. hopefully it sets him on the path to being a good player in the future.
He wasn't good, but not many players are in game 1.

He didn't have a lot of chances, didn't make the most of these limited chances, will be better for getting his debut out of the way I would think.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

You cant take much notice of first games. I went to see the first game of the season years ago with my next door neighbour, a Carlton supporter. Saints v Carlton. The Blues had a first gamer, Sid Jackson, and so did we, Barry Lawrence. After the match I said to my neighbour, "You picked up a good one there in Jackson. Lawrence was hopeless and probably wont play a season for us." I was so wrong. Both ended up club champions. You cant tell on their first game.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:

He didn't have a lot of chances, didn't make the most of these limited chances, will be better for getting his debut out of the way I would think.
Young kid from Richmond did well on the weekend. Made mistakes, but was involved and keen and at it hard.

Kyle Hardingham for Bombers was red hot.

That's just a couple.

Our record of introducing first gamers to the top level is pretty woeful.

lynch may well become a star, but geez he look a way of the pace.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Moods wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
correct.

So you think calling the effort put in by the players shouldn't have been labelled as pathetic?
Umm. I'm pretty sure that as Lynch is playing a forward role, its Essendon who determined the match up NOT Lyon. If Lynch was to go to another position in our forward half Fletcher would have just followed him.

When Lynch moved into defence in the last qtr he didnt do much better

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Moods wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
correct.

Umm. I'm pretty sure that as Lynch is playing a forward role, its Essendon who determined the match up NOT Lyon. If Lynch was to go to another position in our forward half Fletcher would have just followed him.

Not sure about that. If lych went as a very wide HFF I am pretty sure Fletcher wouldnt have following him there.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Moods wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
correct.

Not sure about that. If lych went as a very wide HFF I am pretty sure Fletcher wouldnt have following him there.
Fletcher's been going to the third forward all year.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Moods wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
correct.

Fletcher's been going to the third forward all year.
Not if he is a decoy. They want Fletcher in the play and on the third tall. If he was going to play on Lynch in any position we could have taken him out of the game. My bet is that Fletcher would then have been moved. All I am saying is that it is not always the backs who decide the match ups.

bozza1980
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:

Young kid from Richmond did well on the weekend. Made mistakes, but was involved and keen and at it hard.

Kyle Hardingham for Bombers was red hot.

That's just a couple.

Our record of introducing first gamers to the top level is pretty woeful.

lynch may well become a star, but geez he look a way of the pace.
I didn't say that no first gamers, just that they are the exception rather than the rule.

My point was that he wasn't good but it was far too early to say that he won't be. He looked overawed and out of place, but many first gamers do.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.