What if we dont make the 2010 finals let alone the GF???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

What if we dont make the 2010 finals let alone the GF???

What if we dont make the 2010 finals let alone the GF??? Will there be a repeat of the Stan ALVES debacle ?

What if - RL and our match committee refuse to make changes until it is too late. LYON plays KOSI as FF for the remainder, who doesn't kick 20 goals for the season.

We have no kids ready to come through as they simply haven't been given the opportunity.

We have no ready replacement for HAYES or and out of form DAWSON due to poor player and list management.

RL will be telling the troops that ROO is only 1 player but they begin to question their ability to win without him under the current game plan.

Will people question the RL structure then ???
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Wed 12 May 2010 2:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:shock:

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Faith Brother Faith.

Put your hand on your membership card and feel the power of StKFC flow through.

The only fear is fear itself.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

The truth lies somewhere between the grimmest of terrifying finals-missing visions, and the blind faith of a likely premiership.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saintsfan
Club Player

Right

The Saintsfan Cometh
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Let's just hope we don't get a repeat of '97/'98. Team falls agonisingly short of the ultimate prize, and someone -- the coaching staff, the players or the administration (probably all of them) -- gets a bit full of themselves.

The result? We limp into the finals, get dispatched in straight sets, the coach is sacked, and we spend the next six years in oblivion.

In fact, this club has a history of resting on its laurels after a few years of "success".

The challenge now is for the players to say, "No, we're not gonna stop until we win the flag." The challenge for the coaching staff is not to stubbornly stick to "team structures" that aren't working. The challenge for the administration is not to start sacking people.

Hopefully we'll be back on track very quickly.

bozza1980
Club Player

Re: What if we dont make the 2010 finals let alone the GF???

WinnersOnly wrote:What if we dont make the 2010 finals let alone the GF??? Will there be a repeat of the Stan ALVES debacle ?

What if - RL and our match committee refuse to make changes until it is too late. LYON plays KOSI as FF for the remainder, who doesn't kick 20 goals for the season.

We have no kids ready to come through as they simply haven't been given the opportunity.

We have no ready replacement for HAYES or and out of form DAWSON due to poor player and list management.

RL will be telling the troops that ROO is only 1 player but they begin to question their ability to win without him under the current game plan.

I don't know about you but when a side is 5 & 2 after missing the premiership by 2 kicks the season before I don't start thinking that the sky is caving in on them.

But maybe that is just me??

Sure they were deplorable on Monday night, the only positive that I walked out with was that we weren't beaten by 15+ goals, so there is not question that they were horrible.

But the result on Monday doesn't mean that the structure doesn't work, it shows it doesn't work if the playing group's effort is lacking.

I maybe stupid for thinking this, in their previous 31 games they lost 4 games the biggest margin being two kicks. We have won 36 of the last 45 games, I would expect the club to err on the side that the Lyon structure is working rather than it isn't.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
saintlee
Club Player

Think its highly unlikely we will miss the finals with 5 wins already in the bag.

As for making the GF this year, well it won't happen if we continue playing like we did on Monday night....but its not even halfway through the season yet...its a marathon as they say, not a race.

Sometimes it only takes one game to find form, and it could be this Sunday against the Bombers.

StSteven
Club Player

I was hoping after last year that we would be as successful as Cats have been. It makes you realize how impressive their h&a record is.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

How many games as Roo missed since the sart of 2009? I can only think of 1 game to be honest - hawks last year in Tassie.

I KNOW the players can play without him - they showed it in tassie. What they showed is if every player has a crack we're competitive against any team. It's a team thing at the moment as much as missing Roo. WE aren't playing well as a team. There is no team pressure. Hopefully Monday night is the kick up the arse the boys needed.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else not surprised that the teams playing well now were bundled out fairly early year early (Collingwood the exception)

The teams that I thought likely to be up there again (Geelong / Saints / Doggies) have certainly not peaked in the first 7 rounds of the season.

My general feeling is that Collingwood have closed the gap somewhat, and the Freo's, Brions, Swans, Blues....were all back much earlier to their preseasons than the 'contenders' I mentioned, and it will need to be proven if their form is sustainable.

We were thrashing teams this time last year, didn't help us much in September.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Anyone else not surprised that the teams playing well now were bundled out fairly early year early (Collingwood the exception)

The teams that I thought likely to be up there again (Geelong / Saints / Doggies) have certainly not peaked in the first 7 rounds of the season.

My general feeling is that Collingwood have closed the gap somewhat, and the Freo's, Brions, Swans, Blues....were all back much earlier to their preseasons than the 'contenders' I mentioned, and it will need to be proven if their form is sustainable.

So why didnt that happen last year? We can look for all the reasons we like but we just are out of form at the moment. Hopefully it will come back but other teams have definately improved. The question is have we improved enough. signs arent great but we can only live in hope.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Anyone else not surprised that the teams playing well now were bundled out fairly early year early (Collingwood the exception)

So why didnt that happen last year? We can look for all the reasons we like but we just are out of form at the moment. Hopefully it will come back but other teams have definately improved. The question is have we improved enough. signs arent great but we can only live in hope.
Why didn't what happen last year?

I can remember the greater footy public talking about Geelong being shaky most of last year, then they hit their straps just prior to the finals series?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I can remember the greater footy public talking about Geelong being shaky most of last year, then they hit their straps just prior to the finals series?
Both teams were unbeaten after 13 rounds. What are you talking about?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I said most of last year, and my point is that Geelong didn't see the need to win every week to make the finals. There is no point talking to you about it....you just always pick for a word.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I said most of last year, and my point is that Geelong didn't see the need to win every week to make the finals. There is no point talking to you about it....you just always pick for a word.
Well you were talking about slow starts to the season and I pointed out it didnt happen last year. Alright you win no side that made the finals in 2008 started well last year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well you were talking about slow starts to the season and I pointed out it didnt happen last year. Alright you win no side that made the finals in 2008 started well last year.
I don't want to win, I had an opinion that I thought that Geelong, Saints and Doggies had not peaked yet...

jack
Club Player

As the top eight stands at the moment, we have played every side except Geelong.

Of the eight teams outside the final eight, we have played 1, North Melbourne.

In the remaining games we only play 4 sides that are presently in the eight, Dockers, Geelong, Collingwood and Port Adelaide.

We have 11 games against teams that are presently outside the eight.

Without checking the draws of all the other top sides, I would say that we have had the toughest draw so far.

I would also say that we probably have one of the easiest runs home,

I am confident we will make the eight.

when you judge someone,
You don't define them,
You define yourself.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING !!!!!

seriously we have lost 2 games anyone who honestly belived we would go 19 straight again was dreaming ... finals are almost a certainty , top four is still highly possible and top spot is realistic ... its round 7 calm down

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
lurker#134
Club Player

Fair dinkum guys. I think the Coodabeens have got their "Danny from Droop St." character spot on despite being a Footscray supporter.

Take 10 deep breaths and repeat after me:

"A giant sink hole HAS NOT enveloped the St. Kilda football club, the players and coaches are all big boys and they can handle this. Furthermore previous results WILL NOT dictate future results. Nicky Winmar WILL NOT come back and miss a goal in the dying moments of a final. Everything will be okay. Serenity now, Calm blue ocean and hoochie mama."

That is all.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING !!!!!

seriously we have lost 2 games anyone who honestly belived we would go 19 straight again was dreaming ... finals are almost a certainty , top four is still highly possible and top spot is realistic ... its round 7 calm down
We have won 5 but 2 of those wins were unconvincing....Collingwood were inaccurate and the Bulldogs choked....not a great hat stand those 2 games, in fact, they were a pointer for what was coming.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
overitalready
Club Player

Carlton proved that "Saints Footy" can be beaten, and there are other teams with more talented players than Calscum...so the signs are not good.
Saints could lose a few more games before the Return of Roo.
If we lose a few more, will some of the players lose faith in the game plan and retreat into their shells? Some famous coach once said "you don't lose your skills, you lose your confidence" or something similar.
Some players, on Monday night, played well below their ability, we all know who they were. Will this trend continue? What can spark them ? what can give them impetus?
I will watch Sunday's game knowing that we can beat the Bumbers...

Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, an unselfish woman- what do they all have in common? Answer- we would all like to believe they are true, but they are all fictional.
ace
Saintsational Legend

What if we make the finals, then the grand final, and then win the premiership.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

We missed out on finals in 2007 (only by virtue of that bloody draw with the Bulldogs mind you!) and we simply have to prepare for another year IF we miss out. I guess the best folks to ask are Hawkers fans :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
santazzi
Club Player

Re: What if we dont make the 2010 finals let alone the GF???

WinnersOnly wrote:What if we dont make the 2010 finals let alone the GF??? Will there be a repeat of the Stan ALVES debacle ?

So??.......missing finals.....wooden spoons..........these are highways we have cruised on often enough.........non of us are going to perform the harkari.........we have, recently, enjoyed prolonged luxury of winning week after week and our boys getting the respect of the footy world.......the window is not shut.......we may or may not get a flag at this window.........just enjoy the ride........this loss I can assure you will highten the joy of round 8 victory.........