What has been our worst draft selection

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

What has been our worst draft selection

Hearing Mark Fine last night on the radio he raised not picking up Judd.

we gave alot for both fergus watts and barry brooks and andrew lovett was another waiste

trevor barker
rexy
SS Life Member

David Strooper.

Maybe this year?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: What has been our worst draft selection

JABBER wrote:Hearing Mark Fine last night on the radio he raised not picking up Judd.
Heard that on SEN. He thought it possibly cost us up to three premierships. Big call.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Luke Ball
In hindsight, quite true.

St Kilda wanted Judd and Ball. Fell for the three card trick from West Coast. Everyone knew Hodge was going to Hawthorn. St Kilda had 2 & 5 and thought Ball with 2 and West Coast would take Sampi with #3 being an WA kid (memory on Sampi). Polak was going to Fremantle which was known, so St Kilda could then pick up Judd, the player with the dodgy shoulders, with pick #5.

Out smarted by West Coast unfortunately.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Frost.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Michael Frost.

But the best ever trade? Craig Devonport to Carlton at the end of '95 for pick 19. Devonport promptly declared he'd fit in nicely playing in Carlton's elite midfield of Williams, Bradley, Ratten, etc.

In fact, he played 1 game and was dropped.

St Kilda meanwhile used pick 19 to pick up a Broadford boxer called Barry Hall.

Then in 2001 Hall was traded to Sydney for Pick 13, which netted Nick Dal Santo.

So the trade of a fringe player in '95 secured both Barry Hall and Nick Dal Santo.

Gotta love that.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

If anyone thinks there was a worse pick than Barry Brookes, I 'd very interested to hear your reasoning.

Maybe I just had expectations that were much too high, but he was hugely disappointing.

Worst trade was Ian Stewart for Bill Barrott.

rexy
SS Life Member

Thought we picked up Strooper with pick number 1 and he necer actually played a game? Dont think it is possible to get worse than that, unless you cheated the salary cap and missed your pick altogether! :D

Maybe this year?
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Recent times Barlow...

In recent times our worst recruiting blunder is not taking Barlow as a rookie...or McEVOY instead of Cyril RIOLI.

We only have to look at the lack of natural goal kickers or players with natural flare on our list in comparison with the number of back flankers. Our recruiting staff have had some sucesses but they tend to look outside the normal proven recruiting methods far to often to be an overall sucess.

I thought in the recent draft players like Mitch DUNCAN (Cats) & Nathan FYFE (Freo) both playing senior football fitted our HFF requirements. Both are playing senior football and look like being great long termers. So what do the SAINTS do give away our first round draft pick for an (alleged rapist) and our second round choice for a Freo dud.

We have always looked for the short term solutions and they very rarely work out! Our recruiting policies have always been the clubs biggest weakness!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
RooyForPresident
Club Player

Daniel Clark :lol:

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Just wonder, if we had taken Judd at 2, would Ball still have been there at 5?

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Not picking Judd would have to be the worst all time decision the Saints ever made.

It has been stated here that even though the coach of the day never interfered in drafting (in his words), in the case of Luke Ball, he insisted that we pick Ball first and that Judd would be available at pick five.

Well we got Ball who got OP and we did not get Judd who had bad shoulders at the time.

But who knows what would have happened. Maybe Judd would have been run into the ground like most of the list and had multiple shoulder, or hammy injuries.

Big call to say it cost us three flags, after all WCE only won one flag with him.

I think the poor fitness regime and the incompetent way our list was managed cost us even a chance to have a go at a flag from 2004 to 2006, not one selection (however good he is).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

We picked Ball at 2, Judd went at 3.
We picked Clarke at 5, Bartel went at 8.

Ball and Clarke are now gone.
Judd and Bartel each have a brownlow and a premiership (or two).

Hindsight is a frustrating thing.

saintlee
Club Player

I'm not saying that Kosi is a dud pick, but was there a better choice for number #2 in that year?

Just curious....

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Caydn Beetham?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
ashjam
Club Player

Our net result from that draft should have been:

Pick 2 - Chris Judd

Pick 5 - Jimmy Bartel

Pick 13 - Nick Dal Santo

Pick 21 - Steve Johnson

Pick 37 - Leigh Montagna

Pick 49 - Dane Swan

Pick 67 - Brian Lake

We got 2 out of 7 right.

Very poor effort at the best draft ever.

We would be going for 7 consecutive flags had we chosen as above.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

had we taken Judd his bout with OP that cost him basically one season with West coast would of taken 3 years for the saints to control.... judds a great player but dont underestimate the $16m westcoast have to invest in the best training and recovery services when judd was just starting out he was able to be monitored better and was able to grow and mature his body in the best possible way ... at stkilda we were still using tackle bags from the Carl diteritch era and the $4.50 spent on using the local pool for recovery !!! both Judd and Ball suffered the same bout of OP its no coincedence the one who was at the multi million dollar club came out of it after a short time and the one from our club still suffers somewhat with it today

as for that super draft ... hodge turned out to be a good choice long term for the hawks , Ball was an ok choice but is not at the club now , Judd was a great choice but left his club in tatters to play for carlton , Sampi attempted to stab his g/f and is now drinking himself to an early grave in Broome, X Clarke is permantently injured at his second club , Polak is rookie listed at his second club after trying to tackle a tram and getting into some strife over some weekend substances .........

so one out of the top 6 picks are still at their club and only 3 are still playing with any regularity ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Me - I never played a game :(

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:I'm not saying that Kosi is a dud pick, but was there a better choice for number #2 in that year?

Just curious....
at the time alot of the phantom drafts had us picking Didak at pick two as everyone knew Roo was going to be pick one it seemed unlikely we would pick a second tall ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ashjam wrote:Our net result from that draft should have been:

Pick 2 - Chris Judd

Pick 5 - Jimmy Bartel

Pick 13 - Nick Dal Santo

Pick 21 - Steve Johnson

Pick 37 - Leigh Montagna

Pick 49 - Dane Swan

Pick 67 - Brian Lake

We got 2 out of 7 right.

How they didnt pick all 7 in beyond. Everyone new all of them were going to be stars. Just one question how would they still all be at the Saints? We have a salary cap or doesnt that matter.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ashjam wrote:Our net result from that draft should have been:

Pick 2 - Chris Judd

Pick 5 - Jimmy Bartel

Pick 13 - Nick Dal Santo

Pick 21 - Steve Johnson

Pick 37 - Leigh Montagna

Pick 49 - Dane Swan

Pick 67 - Brian Lake

We got 2 out of 7 right.

And would have lost them all as a penalty for rorting the salary cap to keep them all.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I think to get some perspective on some of these selections and non-selections, you need to look at other clubs aswell.

For example, if you compare our drafting with Richmond's, you'd think we were geniuses.

Every club has the 'could haves' - not just us.

As for the Luke Ball call, I can't agree that he is the worst.

Club captain, All Australian, B&F winner - I think you'd generally be pretty happy with that output from any draftee.

Compare that to Kosi, and suddenly you see how disappointing Kosi has been - or how good Ball was.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: It has been stated here that even though the coach of the day never interfered in drafting (in his words), in the case of Luke Ball, he insisted that we pick Ball first and that Judd would be available at pick five.
Actually I can correct that. As at August of that year, GT (and I believe RB) wanted Judd. A person who has been in the news of late, in a Storm of controversy, was dead set sure we would get both and wanted to take Ball at #2.

Now between August & November, GT may have relented and changed his tune. But as at August, he was very keen to take Judd first.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

still i stand by the WORST move ever by a club would have to be Freo .. for Trent Croad and Luke Mcpharlan they sent to the hawks Luke Hodge, Daniel Elstone(dud) and Sam Mitchell only two years later to trade Croad back to the Hawks for pick ten (Ryley Dunn)... so basically freo got Dunn and Mcpharlin for Croad, Hodge and Mitchell .... :oops: