Fear of Failure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Fear of Failure

For the majority of last nights game, our guys were "locking down" and "zoning off" Port in the middle and back half of the ground.

When we did win the ball, our own forward line was vacant, so we were forced to stuff around with the ball, chipping sideways and backwards and retaining possession.

This strategy held the opposition to 7 goals, which is mostly a loosing score. This game plan rely's on the opposition to make silly mistakes and turn the ball over. It is not an attacking style of football.

Kosi is getting bagged on this forum. He is a 'stay at home strong marking forward'. He is not Nick R, yet he and the other forwards spent a lot of time creating zones in the midfield. When we won the ball, we had nobody to kick it to. If only Kosi was allowed to stay in the goal square with Milne at his feet, I feel we would have won the game.

Only in the last 5 minutes of the match, when we really needed to score, our boys attacked the goal with positive intent. We looked the better side.

Port is just an average team. To be successfull this year, we must be prepared to take some risk and attack the goals.

na exa
Club Player

If only Kosi was allowed to stay in the goal square with Milne at his feet, I feel we would have won the game.

i've got a thing going on , for that inclusion into 'saints footy' , at the appropriate times as well.

goodthink'n 99

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fear of Failure

Toy Saint wrote:For the majority of last nights game, our guys were "locking down" and "zoning off" Port in the middle and back half of the ground.

When we did win the ball, our own forward line was vacant, so we were forced to stuff around with the ball, chipping sideways and backwards and retaining possession.

This strategy held the opposition to 7 goals, which is mostly a loosing score. This game plan rely's on the opposition to make silly mistakes and turn the ball over. It is not an attacking style of football.

Kosi is getting bagged on this forum. He is a 'stay at home strong marking forward'. He is not Nick R, yet he and the other forwards spent a lot of time creating zones in the midfield. When we won the ball, we had nobody to kick it to. If only Kosi was allowed to stay in the goal square with Milne at his feet, I feel we would have won the game.

Only in the last 5 minutes of the match, when we really needed to score, our boys attacked the goal with positive intent. We looked the better side.

Port is just an average team. To be successfull this year, we must be prepared to take some risk and attack the goals.
I agree with your post. Last night we seemed to lose our structure and the game reverted into a rugby scrum. That to me is NOT 'saints footy' THis style does not suit Kosi at all. Not making excuses for him, b/c he wasn't good, but our game style certainly didn't help him. We do not normally play like that. There are times when we do have the entire team defending, but last night seemed like 80% of the time we were doing that. Kosi is no Wayne Carey or Nick Riewoldt. He is not one to be sprinting back into open space burning off his opponent. He needs to be able to run AT the ball and attack it.

For the record, I reckon all this angst directed at Kos is b/c he dropped a mark in the last 1/4 which would have given us a chance of winning. Apart from that he was serviceable, considering the conditions and the game style. Only diff b/w his game and Tredrae's was that TRedrae converted his shot at goal.