Why the NRL over reaction and scapegoating of Waldron?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Why the NRL over reaction and scapegoating of Waldron?

I think it's bleeding obvious that this sorry business could be a total catastrophe for News Ltd. Many governments around the world have pretty tough ethical criteria for giving out TV licences and, in some cases, allowing companies to publish newspapers.

News Ltd set up and owned the Storm while all this happened. As far as Rupert, Hartigan and co are concerned, this all simply HAS to be Waldron's responsibility and nobody higher up the food chain.

Of course, I'm only hypothesizing.......

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

As mentioned elsewhere, 50% media ownership of a sport stinks to high heaven but it is the ONLY thing that validates rugby league's so called 'national plus the Warriors' competition. The game has been propped up for too long and perhaps this whole disaster will be the catalyst that sends it back to the grassroots localised competition it actually is but pretends not to be.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

This feels very tip of the iceberg at the moment.

From http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5857172372 Waldron obviously had some insight into what was brewing.

The quote below wasinteresting - can the NRL compel the journo to share what the details were? Orford? Falou?

"It's happening everywhere. What about [name withheld] leaving us and getting paid $200,000 by [sponsor withheld] outside the cap by the [team name withheld].

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting that the New Ltd shark pack goes mercilessly after blood in high places (think Christine Nixon and Peter Garett) but lays sole blame for the Storm catastrophe right down the food chain.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Interesting that the man most lucky to have a job in media despite his obvious lack of anything resembling intelligence...Paul Vautin had a massive go at Waldron last night.

I guess he has major pulling power of influence over the majority of nuffies that follow the game though...they will enjoy debating his 'opinion' over a few beers down at the local this afternoon

The Saintsfan Cometh
na exa
Club Player

interesting ?

same ol same old.

just the patterns of feeding.

maybe , hopefully , the sheeple take the opportunity to get this programmed in their head.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

NRL culture still comes across as a culture of a bunch of blokes who used to sell tickets for the chook raffle and still do.

Whether it's issues with alcohol and attitudes to women, it continues to come across as a sport run by neanderthols and the head in the sand continues.

Two other things- Channel 9 will probably make a more concerted effort to buy the AFL broadcasting rights as there will be a smell about the NRL for a few years and maybe they might be a bit more willing to telecast Friday night games at right time and not after their version of "Better Home and Gardens".

And has anyone not seen the irony of New Limited taking the moral high road when their chairman is Rupert Murdoch?

na exa
Club Player

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5857167777
BRIAN Waldron's future at the Melbourne Rebels is over after he was described as appearing to be "the architect" of Melbourne Storm's salary cap rort.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
overitalready
Club Player

this has to be a major embarrassment for the NRL. I wonder if the board is hoping to send a message to all the clubs- "don't hide your dodgy books at the club or home !!" I seem to remember Carlscum giving jobs to players' wives...to put more money into their households, covertly. This sort of stuff happens everywhere. My ex-sister-in-law had a deal with her employer called "contra" (!) she gave my ex-wife and me 1. a free dishwasher (and got one for herself) 2. set of very expensive tables- glass topped ones 3. a puppy worth over $400, all courtesy of "contra" where her salary was augmented by "store credits" at certain participating shops/retail outlets.

Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, an unselfish woman- what do they all have in common? Answer- we would all like to believe they are true, but they are all fictional.