Nick's Library

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Nick's Library

Nick said on radio yesterday ( see audio thread in saintsational web)
he would be spending up to two hours a day in the Hyperbarack chamber,
mask on and limited options

s o will be doing plenty of reading- the name of his current book escapes me But maybe there are suggestions we can make to keep him occupied whilst he's in rehab

I have just picked up
" A funny thing happened on the way to the future" by Michael J Fox- small book- one session read about how he got his " education" and diplomas without actually going to senior high

a series he may get into would be anything by Peter Temple- Saints fan
' Jack Irish" detective or ' the Broken Shore"
and he can spend the time finding the Saints referances- Ie Mrs Gehrig the housekeeper.

what can you recommend for him..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'd have no hesitation in recommending A. B. Facey's "A fortunate life" still one of the finest reads I've encountered. Inspirational stuff.

Another one that I enjoyed was "Sacked Coach" by Stan Alves. Stan gave an amazing account of life in a sporting club and dealt with the loss of his Son, with not a hint of bitterness or self pity.

Nick would also have to read Hugh Leonard's "Home before Night" a true account of an Irish childhood in the 1940s that is in turn funny, sad and ultimately a celebration of childhood and parents..with all the imperfections of both!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Another one that I enjoyed was "Sacked Coach" by Stan Alves. Stan gave an amazing account of life in a sporting club and dealt with the loss of his Son, with not a hint of bitterness or self pity.
second edition?

maybe he can also pop down to the Sandringham Coterie lunch next week at which Stan is speaking....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Stan via the book showed me that there are indeed more things to life than football (much as I love it!)
Albert Facey survived World War one, and the great depression with dignity and integrity intact.
Hugh Leonard took himself from a humdrum existence to have hit broadway plays.

All three men have much in common with our Champion.
Humility, no fear of putting their heart on their sleeve, and a quiet resolve to succeed.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

can you take an ipod/phone in there?

if i were him i would just take sleeping pills and time would fly by

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

How about some of Collo's Light :roll: :lol: :lol:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick's Library

saintbrat wrote:Nick said on radio yesterday ( see audio thread in saintsational web)
Sorry SB, have to jump in, it's actually a hyperbaric chamber. Maybe Roo can read the autobiography on the US President, Hyper Barack Obama. :wink:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I knew it would be wrong.. but didn't go to check

you'd never know I nearly won a spelling bee once a millenium ago..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:I knew it would be wrong.. but didn't go to check

you'd never know I nearly won a spelling bee once a millenium ago..
It's ok, you know I luv u, SB :wink:

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Nick said on radio yesterday ( see audio thread in saintsational web)

s o will be doing plenty of reading- the name of his current book escapes me But maybe there are suggestions we can make to keep him occupied whilst he's in rehab

I have just picked up
" A funny thing happened on the way to the future" by Michael J Fox- small book- one session read about how he got his " education" and diplomas without actually going to senior high

a series he may get into would be anything by Peter Temple- Saints fan
' Jack Irish" detective or ' the Broken Shore"
and he can spend the time finding the Saints referances- Ie Mrs Gehrig the housekeeper.

what can you recommend for him..

Hi Bratty

I heard Nick say he would be able to finish reading the final book of Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy now that he has time on his hands - "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest." is what he was part way through. So if he's got to nearly finishing that trilogy he must like a bit of crime fiction fan.

If so, I agree Saintbrat as a Sainter, Nick should read Peter Temple books and look for the Saints references in all the 'Jack Irish' crime series. Then the Saints references are a little more obscure in Peter Temple's brilliant novel "The Broken Shore".

Have you read Temple's follow up to "The Broken Shore" Bratty? It's called "Truth"......couldn't find any Saints references in it though. Not as good as The Broken Shore IMHO, but it has been listed for the Miles Franklin award. Don't know if it will get to the short list.

Did you know Peter Temple lives in your area Ballarat? I was so surprised to find out he is a South African and has only been in Australia for about 10-12 years. The way Temple writes about Saints games & supporters and the demise of the Fitzroy Footy team in the 'Jack Irish' series made me assume he was a long time Aussie footy follower. Also Temple's intimate knowledge of inner melbourne suburbs and Victorian counrty areas again had me assuming he was born and bred in Victoria. Not only a good writer for creating authentic atmosphere, he sure has great research skills for a Saffa immigrant eh!!!

Yes I agree with you Nick should get a pile of Peter Temple books to take to the hyperbarack chamber.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

As well as Peter Temple, local authors Anthony O'Neill and Anson Cameron are known Saints fans. Could be more.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:As well as Peter Temple, local authors Anthony O'Neill and Anson Cameron are known Saints fans. Could be more.
What is their genre Waltzing St Kilda?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Hi Bratty

If so, I agree Saintbrat as a Sainter, Nick should read Peter Temple books and look for the Saints references in all the 'Jack Irish' crime series. Then the Saints references are a little more obscure in Peter Temple's brilliant novel "The Broken Shore".

Have you read Temple's follow up to "The Broken Shore" Bratty? It's called "Truth"......couldn't find any Saints references in it though. Not as good as The Broken Shore IMHO, but it has been listed for the Miles Franklin award. Don't know if it will get to the short list.

Did you know Peter Temple lives in your area Ballarat? I was so surprised to find out he is a South African and has only been in Australia for about 10-12 years. The way Temple writes about Saints games & supporters and the demise of the Fitzroy Footy team in the 'Jack Irish' series made me assume he was a long time Aussie footy follower. Also Temple's intimate knowledge of inner melbourne suburbs and Victorian counrty areas again had me assuming he was born and bred in Victoria. Not only a good writer for creating authentic atmosphere, he sure has great research skills for a Saffa immigrant eh!!!

Yes I agree with you Nick should get a pile of Peter Temple books to take to the hyperbarack chamber.
I have met him Loris but not introduced- he was in the local post office and wanted to buy my number plates I said 'Sorry No, But I'd sell him a Saints membership",
the store owners where chuffed because he used their service and he was an international literary winner, he is also into stocks and shares and antique collecting.
agree I couldn't find a Saints referance in "The Truth" either.

his work can be hard to read and very dark- A friend is struggling to get into them. but the referances impact and subtle to spots in Victoria and melbourne keep me going.
I have one of the Jack Irish series to find to read- normally not a crime fiction reader but Found the Broken shore very readable,

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

A very well-read and literary savvy area is Ballarat. I had the pleasure in 2007 of attending a one-day writers festival at Buninyong. Together with some from friends from our writers group I caught an early train from Southern Cross to Ballarat, and then a taxi to Buninyong. The hospitality and level of discussions at the town hall were most enjoyable. I popped into the local for a pot at lunchtime and caught a crowd of Sainters preparing for the game at the Dome that night!
After a great day, it was great to see all the Saints colours at Ballarat station and after the return ride, I simply stepped off the train at SC and made my way to the Dome and saw the Saints belt Richmond!...HOG HEAVEN!!!

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:As well as Peter Temple, local authors Anthony O'Neill and Anson Cameron are known Saints fans. Could be more.
Don't think they have a specific genre, unlike Temple. O'Neill's latest was the satirical crime novel The Unscratchables. Cameron did a book called Stealing Picasso.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
loris wrote:
Don't think they have a specific genre, unlike Temple. O'Neill's latest was the satirical crime novel The Unscratchables. Cameron did a book called Stealing Picasso.
Thanks I'll follow up on them.................... I hardly ever have my head out of a book......... eyes only come off a page to watch the Saints play :P

matrix
Saintsational Legend

get him a chopra book.......... :idea:

loris
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:

Ooooooooooooooooooophs I was wrong :shock: Happens occassionally :wink:

Just read in this mornings paper that Peter Temple HAS been short listed for this years 'Miles Franklin Award' for "Truth".

So you saint supporters who like a good read, support the literary Saints fan Peter Temple and buy his books......we sainters must stick together..even in our reading habits :)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

And don't forget to buy the Jiggster's memoir when it hits the bookshops! :wink: entitled: "Who the hell are you? and whats that crazy dance you're doing?" :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'd have no hesitation in recommending A. B. Facey's "A fortunate life" still one of the finest reads I've encountered. Inspirational stuff.
This is a superb read - i love this book.

It was one of our texts in English class in about year 10, only book from high school I've ever read a second time!!!

Dunno whether Roo should read it though - he might chuck in footy to go farm the WA outback!!!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:And don't forget to buy the Jiggster's memoir when it hits the bookshops! :wink: entitled: "Who the hell are you? and whats that crazy dance you're doing?" :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guaranteed "Best Seller" :?: The fee is 10% of the Gross :lol: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Nice one Tom! :lol:

roxanne
Club Player

A good idea might be downloading books onto computer and then onto his ipod - love the audio books. audible.com is the go. I know Peter Temple's book Truth is available there, read by the brilliant Michael Carmen. ( I prefer Truth to Broken Shore although both great) Lots of good motivational stuff too. It might be easier for Nick to listen right now than to read.....even on the long drive to Berwick.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

saintdooley wrote:can you take an ipod/phone in there?

if i were him i would just take sleeping pills and time would fly by
It's only two hours a day! I nearly spend that travelling everyday....

I enjoyed 'The Book Thief' of recent. I am re-reading 'The Godfather' at the moment have recently got around to reading 'A Farewell to Arms' and 'Brave New World'.