Interesting Spida Everitt anecdote

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting Spida Everitt anecdote

A mate of mind reckons he saw a drunken Peter Everitt in a Sydney pub when he was playing for the Swans. Spida was loudly declaring to anyone who would listen: "I don't give a f@#* about the Swans, just like I didn't give a f@#* about the Hawks when I played for them! I'm a Saint and always will be!"

My mate, a Hawthorn supporter, told me this story to prove what a scumbag Everitt is.

Me ... I found a whole new respect for the guy.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Welcome to the forum Peter.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting Spida Everitt anecdote

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:A mate of mind reckons he saw a drunken Peter Everitt in a Sydney pub when he was playing for the Swans. Spida was loudly declaring to anyone who would listen: "I don't give a f@#* about the Swans, just like I didn't give a f@#* about the Hawks when I played for them! I'm a Saint and always will be!"

My mate, a Hawthorn supporter, told me this story to prove what a scumbag Everitt is.

Me ... I found a whole new respect for the guy.
Not sure respect is the word I'd use.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
spert
Saintsational Legend

One of the many destablising influences that saw the demise of Alves amongst other things.

jack
Club Player

This was my family. It was the first time I had been back at St Kilda since leaving the club at the end of 2002 … and not a word was said about my absence.

There was many a ‘Welcome back, glad to see you here!’, which made we feel very welcome. There remains a big place in my heart for the St Kilda Football Club.

Peter Everitt
20 June, 2007

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/Default.asp ... wsId=45263

when you judge someone,
You don't define them,
You define yourself.
roxanne
Club Player

Pffttt! We'd have a flag (2004) if he'd pulled his head in and stayed a Saint.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Im too sentimental so Im always sad to see a sainter leave the club.
But when all is said and done, the good and the bad its nice to know that a part remained always St Kilda

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hated watching Everitt running round in other jumpers just like Hall and Plugger you feel like the marquee players still owe you more because you invested in them more hope than the fringe players.

During the lead up to the grand final he was on tv a bit declaring himself a saints man. He was destabilising and an off field nightmare but there was something likable about the big fella.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

It would be a stranger experience to see a sober Peter Everitt in a pub. :wink:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I was a massive Spider fan, but boy he could break your heart.

In the early days of our supporter group, the boys came up here for their end of season footy trip. They were good enough to give us their time and we held a meet and greet type function on a Sat arvo. Spider was just fantastic, just stepped in with out being asked and interviewed various players, helped out and made sure all the fans were happy, remember it was off season. I also saw him at Harves night, I was impressed as Baz or Plugger especially didn't make the effort to pay respect to the great man.

Spider was no mental giant and has made some bad decisions during his footy career, but I still have a bit of a soft spot for him and I do believe he is a Saint at heart.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
The Craw
Club Player

Will never forgive him for his effort in Stewie Loewes last game. The word pea heart springs to mind.

Not Craw, CRAW!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

What did we get for him in the Hawthorn trade? Anyone remember?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:Will never forgive him for his effort in Stewie Loewes last game. The word pea heart springs to mind.
Yup - pathetic. Will never forget him sitting on the bench while Stewie rucked his guts out.

Left and spent years bagging everything St.Kilda.

Then sued the club for LSL.

Then had the gall to be awarded life membership (fair dinkum, I'm glad that board is now gone :roll:)

Many players leave, fact of footy life. Never heard Barry Hall slag the club off the way Everitt did.

I dont have much time for Everitt from a Saints supporter perspective.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yep, ATTITUDE is everything with our current mob.

They aren't all superstars in the their own right, but play their guts out every week, all year (well that was 2009 and so far this year!).

Spider would've really struggled under RL, to put it mildly!

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
The Craw wrote:Will never forgive him for his effort in Stewie Loewes last game. The word pea heart springs to mind.
Yup - pathetic. Will never forget him sitting on the bench while Stewie rucked his guts out.

Left and spent years bagging everything St.Kilda.

Then sued the club for LSL.

Then had the gall to be awarded life membership (fair dinkum, I'm glad that board is now gone :roll:)
Many players leave, fact of footy life. Never heard Barry Hall slag the club off the way Everitt did.

I dont have much time for Everitt from a Saints supporter perspective.
Well I don't know if you were there the night of the AGM when he was voted life membership by those who attended, but his response in accepting the life membership was one accepted with humility.

And yes I voted for the life membership.

Afterwards he went out with th players, so they didn't turn their backs on him.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

roxanne wrote:Pffttt! We'd have a flag (2004) if he'd pulled his head in and stayed a Saint.
Wash your mouth out! Without that trade (for picks #6 and # 22), we'd never have been able to trade for Barry brooks (picks #6 and #31)!

Oops...

I mean, we'd never have been able to draft Matthew Ferguson (the first time, pick #22)!

Oh.

Well, the Power might have been unable to make their disastrous trade for Byron Picket (picks #13 and #31)! How'd that work out?! Yeah... wait, Norm Smith medallist in 2004? um...

Anecdotally,
pick#6 (originally Hawthorn's) was used to draft Stephen Salopek.
pick #13 (originally Port's) wound up at Freo (for Leigh Brown to the roos) and was used to draft Byron Schammer.
pick #31 was used to take Joel Perry.

Looking at the trades from '02 really shows how different team's valuation and usage of their draft picks was only 8 years ago. Nick Davis (#21), Leigh Brown (#13), Barnaby French (#16), Daniel Chick (#8), Luke Penny (#17), Shane Woewodin (#14) all went for first rounders. How many of those attract a 1st in return today? Without hindsight, maybe Woewodin. Des Headland went for 2 firsts (#3 and #19)... one must recall that he was pretty highly touted, but still - #3? Context: that pick was Jared Brennan, #19 was Troy Selwood.

Ah, those wacky 2002 recruiters.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:Yep, ATTITUDE is everything with our current mob.

They aren't all superstars in the their own right, but play their guts out every week, all year (well that was 2009 and so far this year!).

Spider would've really struggled under RL, to put it mildly!
To be fair, I think the culture which Spider grew into compared to the one that he'd come into now would probably make a fair difference to the result.

Back then, it was basically on the player's shoulders, and Spider would tactfully be described as unpredictable.

Today he'd be brought through and into a program in a very different way. It wouldn't necessarily turn a Spider Everitt into a Nick Reiwoldt (and I wouldn't be suprised if you were right and Spider struggled in the very tightly controlled conditions of today's kids), but it would almost definately lead to a different club-player relationship.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:One of the many destablising influences that saw the demise of Alves amongst other things.
seems strange that alves always used to defend him on abc radio? alves always talked spider up and said what a great bloke he was off the field & how he did charity work etc etc etc . which is odd if spider caused his demise?

wasnt it the club stalwarts that got rid of alves?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
spert wrote:One of the many destablising influences that saw the demise of Alves amongst other things.
seems strange that alves always used to defend him on abc radio? alves always talked spider up and said what a great bloke he was off the field & how he did charity work etc etc etc . which is odd if spider caused his demise?

Yep its another myth.

Saintsfan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Yep its another myth.
So Harvey, Burke and Stewie were part of Alves' demise?

The Saintsfan Cometh
Saint4Eva
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:What did we get for him in the Hawthorn trade? Anyone remember?
We got pick 6 and 22........

And they were barry brooks and matthew ferguson.

Probably one of the worst trades of all time!

Saintsfan
Club Player

Saint4Eva wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:What did we get for him in the Hawthorn trade? Anyone remember?

still a good return on Peter Everitt despite the players we picked up from it

The Saintsfan Cometh
Saint4Eva
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:
Saint4Eva wrote:

still a good return on Peter Everitt despite the players we picked up from it
Yes i agree

BallBanger
Club Player

You got it..paid $700 big ones a season for little effort then sued us for long service leave...it should have been us sueing him - money for nothing

If he did not get hurt in the 97 final against Brisbane we would have not made the grand final....getting killed in the ruck and forced to swing leowe on the ball...

When he went to hawthorn he was no threat to us...just squibbed it out wide for a coupla marks a game but did very little.

Does not have a heart like phar lap

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
You got it..paid $700 big ones a season for little effort then sued us for long service leave...it should have been us sueing him - money for nothing

If he did not get hurt in the 97 final against Brisbane we would have not made the grand final....getting killed in the ruck and forced to swing leowe on the ball...

When he went to hawthorn he was no threat to us...just squibbed it out wide for a coupla marks a game but did very little.

Does not have a heart like phar lap
Love how our players are hacks once they leave our club. We would have won the GF had Spider played. It is that simple but leave our club and you are automaticly a hack.