Matt McGuire 100th game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Matt McGuire 100th game

It feels all wrong to recognise McGuire's 100th game. Normally I have no time for opposition players, but 99 of those games were for the mighty Saints, and I for one would have loved to keep him on our list. He would have gone pretty close to a game for the Saints this weekend. It's with a heavy heart that I wish him well.

saintDal
Club Player

Good luck Goose and well done on 100 games. And hate to nitpick but its Maguire.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

All the best Goose.

A real shame things didn't work out better with the saints...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yepp..congrats Goose MAGUIRE ;-)

No hard feelings...i wish him well when they dont play us lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

You just can't hold it against the big fella..hope his delisting doesn't come back to haunt us..well done Matty :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah well done. Like X he left the club with great dignity.

At least with Matty playing at senior level it should become clear as to whether he is up to AFL footy or not - which could be a shame as most of us prefer to speculate :D

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Yep all the best Maguire - another favourite son :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Saints43
Club Player

Will Brissy put him on the banner?

I have seen a few blokes over the years run through "200 games" when it would be their 15th game for St Kilda...

Maybe just a mention is your first game? Under the sponsor?

And best wishes Goose.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to him, I really liked him as a player (not really sure why he was let go, but still...) and he is deserving of this milestone. :D

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Lion Cozi
Club Player

I'm a Lions member/supporter and will be going to the game on Saturday night (haven't missed a game in 5.5 seasons at the Gabba). Bradshaw was my favourite player and I have now made Maguire my favourite, was a favourite of mine when he was at the Saints. Can't wait to cheer him on, it's a credit to him that he will be playing his 100th.

Brisbane Lions Supporter
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:Will Brissy put him on the banner?

I have seen a few blokes over the years run through "200 games" when it would be their 15th game for St Kilda...

Maybe just a mention is your first game? Under the sponsor?

And best wishes Goose.
of course they will.
paul medhurst played 99 at freo, and his 100th banner was one of the best ive seen by collingwood.
schneider only played 1 game for us before his 100th or 150th whatever it was, and got a half banner (the other half was x clarke)

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Lion Cozi wrote:I'm a Lions member/supporter and will be going to the game on Saturday night (haven't missed a game in 5.5 seasons at the Gabba). Bradshaw was my favourite player and I have now made Maguire my favourite, was a favourite of mine when he was at the Saints. Can't wait to cheer him on, it's a credit to him that he will be playing his 100th.
Good to hear mate! If you can get him fit and firing, playing to his capabilities he will be an asset.

As mentioned - left our club with great dignity, unlike that twat Ball.

The Saints are coming!
Lion Cozi
Club Player

True Blue Sainter wrote:
Lion Cozi wrote:I'm a Lions member/supporter and will be going to the game on Saturday night (haven't missed a game in 5.5 seasons at the Gabba). Bradshaw was my favourite player and I have now made Maguire my favourite, was a favourite of mine when he was at the Saints. Can't wait to cheer him on, it's a credit to him that he will be playing his 100th.
Good to hear mate! If you can get him fit and firing, playing to his capabilities he will be an asset.

He will be great in defence for us, have always needed another experienced tall to go with Patfull and Merrett. I hope he does well this year, deserves it for once.

Brisbane Lions Supporter
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

All the best Goose, still love ya. Always intended to head up to Brissie to watch it, but have more pressing matters to attend............... like going to Sydney to cheer on our boys.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
avid
Club Player

It really REALLY hurts to see him playing his 100th with another club.
I haven't even nearly gotten over losing him.

(It also hurts that half of us CAN'T EVEN SPELL HIS NAME RIGHT! After all this time.)

I still think of him as one of our generation's most courageous Saints.
Well done Matt, wherever you are.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Lion Cozi wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:

He will be great in defence for us, have always needed another experienced tall to go with Patfull and Merrett. I hope he does well this year, deserves it for once.
Interested to hear that a lions fans thinks that he will work out in your structure.

I don't see it myself (and I hope against hope for Goose's sake that I'm wrong) but I just feel a backline with Merret, Patful and Maguire as too top heavy, especially considering that Merret and Maguire offer very little run and creativity.

Do you feel he will become a starting 22 player who will play every game or do you think he will be a fringe player who will come in according to needs. He could be a handy player against teams such as Sydney, Hawthorn and St Kilda due to having dominant talls but my queries surround him against teams such as Geelong and Collingwood.

But again all the best to the bloke, I've always had a soft spot for Brisbane aswell.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Good Luck Goose, glad to see he will make his 100 Games. Wish him nothing but the best. (Dont mind if he has an off game when we play them though :wink: )

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Lion Cozi
Club Player

Last year when Merrett and Patfull were both sidelined for a month each at the same time, we were shown up big time. Also, it has been rumoured that Patfull could spend some time in the midfield this year also. For team balance, having 3 talls and 3 average/short players in each third of the ground is good, so our defence would be:
Talls: Merrett, Patfull, Maguire
Average/Short: Adcock, Drummond, McGrath.

Good luck with this season Sainters!

Brisbane Lions Supporter
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Very disappoited he never managed one game last season. The selectors were weak on this.

saintlee
Club Player

Best of luck Goose, great bloke and a good team man....unfortunately I think his best days are well behind him.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Very disappoited he never managed one game last season. The selectors were weak on this.
You must have forgotten that he was to play his 100th game v the Hawks and was injured that week at training, and stayed that way for the remainder of the season.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I was excited for that Saint Bev, that was the game played in Tassie and I was there. I would have loved to see Goose play his 100th and was devastated when he got injured :(

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

TazzieSaintGirl83 wrote:I was excited for that Saint Bev, that was the game played in Tassie and I was there. I would have loved to see Goose play his 100th and was devastated when he got injured :(
Lucky you, great game. The Goose story is tragic, 14 operations in 3 mths, every time he came close to coming back he got another injury. I really do believe the sunny weather in Qld could help those poor bones of his. I wish the guy well.

On a side note TazzieSaintGirl3, I am a Launceston girl and I still shake my head in disbelief at the Saints running around at York Park. When I use to go to the footy as a teenager, never in my wildest dreams did I think that would ever happen.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Congratulations, if nothing else it rewards a great deal of persistence.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:
TazzieSaintGirl83 wrote:I was excited for that Saint Bev, that was the game played in Tassie and I was there. I would have loved to see Goose play his 100th and was devastated when he got injured :(
Lucky you, great game. The Goose story is tragic, 14 operations in 3 mths, every time he came close to coming back he got another injury. I really do believe the sunny weather in Qld could help those poor bones of his. I wish the guy well.

On a side note TazzieSaintGirl3, I am a Launceston girl and I still shake my head in disbelief at the Saints running around at York Park. When I use to go to the footy as a teenager, never in my wildest dreams did I think that would ever happen.
I know what you mean, I had to pinch myself to believe that I was really seeing them in Tassie. I was born in Launceston and had been along to a game or too there when I was little. Was a really great day. It was nice standing and cheering with lots of saints supporters. We didnt believe it when we heard Franklin got his tooth knocked out.

I admire the fact that Goose is still able to play at an AFL level after so much happening to him. I wish he played his 100th for us but regardless will be glad to see him make the milestone.