Saints look to extend Lyon's contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:He had a back-loaded deal and it's starting to hurt our Cap just a little bit...

I imagine the club will be offering Luke a highly competitive deal but one that reflects his standing in football at the present time. A reduced deal is on the cards, but I would hope - and expect - that he would sign off on the new deal without too much haggling.
i don't know too many pple who happily would accept a pay cut.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

With all respect to Bally, if he's on high 700k, he can expect a 50% drop in money, surely.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Re: Saints look to extend Lyon's contract

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Ball is among the 16 highest-paid players in the competition,
If true...HTF did this occur?

A sad inditememt on the previous crew who some lauded as being exceptional player managers!!!
And you know for a fact it was done by the previous crew as you call them.
And when did he sign his last contract?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
plugger66 wrote:And you know for a fact [Ball's contract] was done by the previous crew as you call them.
I can't find a date on when the current contract was done. It was obviously a 3-year deal signed at some point in 2006, but the exact date escapes me.

Regardless of who negotiated the deal, by the end of the 06 season Ball was 22-years old, a club captain, a B+F winner and an AA. He'd missed a total of two games with injury between 04-06. It's not a huge surprise he was able to get a decent deal with that resume.
I have no problem getting a "decent" deal..or even a "generous" deal.

But being in the top 16 in AFL is not a "decent" deal...it is an over the top deal given where Luke was at and what he had shown.

We all love Luke...but most Saints fans "overate" him.

His best year in the Brownlow was 9 votes....and while the Brownlow is not by any means the be all to end all...for a midfielder it does providea bit of a guide.

Top 16 in the AFL would have Ball in the top half dozen mids...and basically as the Saint's best player.

If you overpay your top players....it means that you underpay others...or play short. And this is exactly what happened.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
st.byron wrote:

A sad inditememt on the previous crew who some lauded as being exceptional player managers!!!
Do you have trouble undertsanding?

If true = may not have been

How did this occur = a question

However I do know that in some seasons under the previous crew that salary cap wise we could not afford to have a full list. So that is FACT that the previous crew were inept at balancing the books and in doing their sums with respect to player salaries.

Or do you believe that it is desirable to play short?

All this when injuries were over the top.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Do you have trouble undertsanding?

If true = may not have been

How did this occur = a question

However I do know that in some seasons under the previous crew that salary cap wise we could not afford to have a full list. So that is FACT that the previous crew were inept at balancing the books and in doing their sums with respect to player salaries.

Or do you believe that it is desirable to play short?

All this when injuries were over the top.
So if you arent sure that the previous crew had something to do with Bally contract why bring it up on this thread. Some of us know your agenda but still cant understand it. The previous people are gone and we dont know who did this contract. Balancing books may have nothing to do with this contract. You need to get over them and enjoy the current ride.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:I have no problem getting a "decent" deal..or even a "generous" deal.

But being in the top 16 in AFL is not a "decent" deal...it is an over the top deal given where Luke was at and what he had shown.
Ball's (reported to be) top-16 this year. We have no idea what the average of the deal is. Chances are it's a backloaded deal and the 09 figure is inflated. Either way, he's obviously well paid. That's much more a reflection of where he was at in 2006 than a reflection of where he is now. I don't see it as a big deal. It's obvious he's going to have to take a pay cut. That's how these things work. You perform, you get paid. If you don't, then you don't. I don't see any sign of woeful mismanagement here.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I'm amazed at the incredible stupidity of those who believe Luke Ball is in the top 16 highest paid players in the comp.

Perhaps before my Moron-O-Meter explodes, we just stop and have a think about it.

There are 16 clubs in the comp.

Each club has a 'marquee' player - or two.

Fair dinkum.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I'm amazed at the incredible stupidity of those who believe Luke Ball is in the top 16 highest paid players in the comp.

Perhaps before my Moron-O-Meter explodes, we just stop and have a think about it.

Fair dinkum.
That was the point I was trying to make..... but perhaps with a little more tact.

:lol:

Sydney and the Lions have more to splash too.....

Denham is a hack.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I'm amazed at the incredible stupidity of those who believe Luke Ball is in the top 16 highest paid players in the comp.

Fair dinkum.
I agree with your point, theres no way he's Top 16, but the height of the pedastal you put yourself on here never ceases to amaze me

Sorry if us mere mortals with average football knowledge get up your nose so much 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints43
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Sorry if us mere mortals with average football knowledge get up your nose so much 8-)
Aren't you the one who posts weekly on what people should and shouldn't call out at the footy?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

From the article:
Ball is among the 16 highest-paid players in the competition...
So either I'm misreading the sentence or you're saying the writer is wrong.

An article on 2008 salaries.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
$500,000-600,000
Luke Ball (St Kilda)
According to that article, Ball was second at St Kilda in salary last year. If he's on a backloaded deal it's hardly inconceivable that he could have moved into a higher bracket. Even if he's not, he was among the top-28 last year, at least according to the HS. It's a bit much to call people stupid for thinking he's top-16 when he's really top-28. Especially if you don't know what he's being paid.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
From the article:
Ball is among the 16 highest-paid players in the competition...
So either I'm misreading the sentence or you're saying the writer is wrong.

An article on 2008 salaries.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
$500,000-600,000
Luke Ball (St Kilda)
According to that article, Ball was second at St Kilda in salary last year. If he's on a backloaded deal it's hardly inconceivable that he could have moved into a higher bracket. Even if he's not, he was among the top-28 last year, at least according to the HS. It's a bit much to call people stupid for thinking he's top-16 when he's really top-28. Especially if you don't know what he's being paid.
For a start, noone knows what each player gets paid. The press speculate.

Secondly, yes - I am saying the writer is wrong.

Thirdly, there is actually a big difference between the top 16 and the top 28.

SoopaSaint
Club Player

Saints look to extend Lyon's contract

I must admit to being a shade sceptical when Ross first came onto the scene, but it's amazing how much he has learnt in the time since... I guess therefore, that some of my criticism has done him the world of good. Heh heh. Good luck to him... it was no easy task! However, let's get this campaign out of the way and not ask him to take his eyes off the ball to concern himself with contract extensions...

vacuous space
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:For a start, noone knows what each player gets paid. The press speculate.
The AFL doesn't publish salaries. That doesn't mean no one knows them. The press talk to players, reps and clubs. It's not inconceivable that they could get that information. I'd be taking that list with at least a grain of salt, but I wouldn't be dismissing it outright. You have no evidence Greg Denham is wrong, but you can't confirm he's right either. You have no reason to call anyone on this forum stupid either way.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

If people here reckon that Sack is going to have to take a fair hair cut I reckon there are few others on that list too!
Lucas
N Brown!!
A Rocca!!
N Stevens!!

Obviously back ended contracts are popular but for M Lloyd to be in the vicinity of Roo......
Bell didn't even finish the year - wonder if he took a cut.....

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
saint66au wrote:Sorry if us mere mortals with average football knowledge get up your nose so much 8-)
Aren't you the one who posts weekly on what people should and shouldn't call out at the footy?
Hello possum your home!!!.....ironic you crawl out of bed about the same time as Rodg....let me guess....you've been out tin rattling to save the Dees this week.... :lol:

You still reckon Lyon has "done nothing to demonstrate he can coach" genius? :wink:

Actually now I look back on some of your famous moronic calls........I too would have gone into hiding as long as you.... :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Some of us know your agenda but still cant understand it. .
Yes ...there were quite a number on this forum who ridiculed my posts to:

* play good defensive football with a gameplan concerned equally by how we played when the opposition had the ball as well as when we had it
* have proper list management and a better balanced list including with decent ruckmen
* to make better use of the rookie system
* have a coach that was a full-time coach not distracted by running other areas
* have a modern football department

I mean if we actually did all those things where would we be?

But wait we have done all those things now..... :idea:

Pity that you cannot understand the obvious benefits.

PS: I did not mention injuries as everyone was posting that we needed to fix that...but the previous crew underperformed the AFL in this vital area.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Some of us know your agenda but still cant understand it. .
Yes ...there were quite a number on this forum who ridiculed my posts to:

* play good defensive football with a gameplan concerned equally by how we played when the opposition had the ball as well as when we had it
* have proper list management and a better balanced list including with decent ruckmen
* to make better use of the rookie system
* have a coach that was a full-time coach not distracted by running other areas
* have a modern football department

I mean if we actually did all those things where would we be?

But wait we have done all those things now..... :idea:

Pity that you cannot understand the obvious benefits.

PS: I did not mention injuries as everyone was posting that we needed to fix that...but the previous crew underperformed the AFL in this vital area.
You really need to move on.

Saints43
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
Hello possum your home!!!.....ironic you crawl out of bed about the same time as Rodg....let me guess....you've been out tin rattling to save the Dees this week.... :lol:

You still reckon Lyon has "done nothing to demonstrate he can coach" genius? :wink:

Actually now I look back on some of your famous moronic calls........I too would have gone into hiding as long as you.... :shock:
Hello Stalker. Third time in three weeks you have responded to one of my posts without addressing the thread.

For the third time: If you are that interested in when I post then use the Search facility you stalking Drongo.

You still reckon the players are no good? Two years you and your two mates flogged that particular donkey. Try to remember that it was me that was unhappy when we were playing poorly and you thought RL was coaching valiantly against the bad hand he's been delivered. We'll have a look at the best and fairest at the end of the year shall we? RL is getting the job done and should be praised as such. Getting praised because he's not the former coach and played for Fitzroy is no recommendation at all.

And if you have an accusation to make regarding the usernames 'rodgerfox' and 'Saints43' then make it. Implying something an on internet forum a number of times comes across as a little weak. And you recently stated that you're the type that would like to 'bring the punch'… pfffft

Solar
Saintsational Legend

good to hear that they want to give lyon a new contract. The players and staff have bought his game plan and it's reaping results. Westaway might end up being a prophet when he said he could see lyon being a 10 year coach.

I back drain and the players to work together to keep this group together. Backending contracts make it hard to gauge where players are at. you can have a wonderful year get three years where 70% come in the third year. by that tme others might have become better then you. Doesn't mean that at the time the contract was not the best they could do. Imagine if they backended gilbo's contract and a reporter came out and said "star young saints player, sam gilbert, only earns 100k.... he is in the bottom 5 for the club..." yet this does not bring into context the other 2 years that are heavy.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith