Raph Clarke supporters thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am unashamedly a Raph fan, mainly because of the venom spewed against him by supposedly saints fans.
Would love to see him play on the ball. I believe he has too much talent to remain a defender.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintly wrote:this sounds like the post for Rix a year ago (or 2 years ago)
Rubbish.

If you are trying to equate Raph to Rix, you haven't a clue.

This is a support thread - plenty of other anti Raph threads for you to vent you spleen.
i was not equating rix to raph,

i was just remembering a thread on rix where we all on here were trying to support him that was all.

ps have never vented any spleen written or verbal on here.

Gurgman
Club Player

I must admit sometimes i have no clue what is going through Raph's head but i do think he has talent , but the constant bagging of him by some is a bit petty , there are a few others in this undefeated side who make mistakes as well , maybe its easier to bad Raph than your love child's

To the top
SS Life Member

I note the Coach gave him 100% match time versus West Coast.

Comment?

Badlands
Club Player

Onya Raph.
You'll be there deep into September mate.
Just do what you did last September.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Young Georgie
Club Player

BJ on SEN asked by Bartlett about Raph seeing the station had received a number of critical calls. BJ is clearly a fan and mentioned Raph's athleticism and his value in defence as a team player and his good use of the ball.
He referred to how well he performed during the 2008 finals series and also on how he has obviously been hit with injuries and personal issues including his father's death.
BJ did say that at times he can be a little bit lazy by foot - something Raph is aware of - and it is just a matter of working on his concentration...perhaps his concentration/confidence could be somewhat affected by his detractors and their constant criticism weighing on the back of his mind.
Give the kid a break. If the coaches don't think he's up to it, they won't play him. What he needs, probably more than most, is support from his own supporters!

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:BJ on SEN asked by Bartlett about Raph seeing the station had received a number of critical calls. BJ is clearly a fan and mentioned Raph's athleticism and his value in defence as a team player and his good use of the ball.
He referred to how well he performed during the 2008 finals series and also on how he has obviously been hit with injuries and personal issues including his father's death.
BJ did say that at times he can be a little bit lazy by foot - something Raph is aware of - and it is just a matter of working on his concentration...perhaps his concentration/confidence could be somewhat affected by his detractors and their constant criticism weighing on the back of his mind.
Give the kid a break. If the coaches don't think he's up to it, they won't play him. What he needs, probably more than most, is support from his own supporters!
Post of the Year !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Young Georgie wrote:BJ on SEN asked by Bartlett about Raph seeing the station had received a number of critical calls. BJ is clearly a fan and mentioned Raph's athleticism and his value in defence as a team player and his good use of the ball.

i will second that...........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Good post.

However I am first and foremost a Saints fan and want our BEST team for the finals.

So does Lyon.

Lyon saw last year what raph is capable of......and IMO Ross will give hima number of games now to see if he can run back into that form. Ross will give him the opportunity.......as he did with Gwilt eralier this season. It is now up to Raph to "Seize the day".

Come finals not all of Raph, Geary, Eddy, Dempster and Max can all be in the 22.

Whomever is in form and firing (subject to match-ups) will be in.

However Raph has a very good up side...and over the next several weeks he needs to ramp up to that.

If an improvement trend is there..he will stay in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to chip in support for Raph too.

Just checked out the facebook thread on Bally being omitted - it's turned into a Raph-bash - now that thread is a disgrace and makes this forum look like a Sunday school picnic.

More chance of Raph checking that site out than this one. Hope not.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

nope ,not up to it.
Would struggle getting a game in many sides.
At the latter part of last year he was on the improve and I was rapt....atm..he is ordinary.
Just love the love on here but I lean more towards the realities.

Just can't wait for the barrage.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Everyone to there own opinion but unless Luke Ball is injured to put Raph in the side ahead of Luke is imo bazaar.Raph is a good player but he struggles under pressure & his decision making is shocking.I want him to come good & be regular member of the team but even the staunchest Raph fan would have to say he has been pretty ordinary this year.His second half last week was ok but the first half, my god he was a basket case.I just hope his second half was the sign of things come & not just a flash in the pan

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I'm a fence sitter in this one. I don't hate him, I hate when people criticise him but I'm not sure I like him either. I want him to improve though, I want him to be in our best 22 and I want him to realise his potential.

I hate the crap the poor guy cops on here and I think some of it is unfair and unwarranted but he's not really the only one.

I think with Raph, for me it's simply a case of: I support you, I want you to do well, I hope for the best out of you, Raph.

However, Raph haters give me the s***s.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Has talent to burn.

Needs to lift.

Can be sublime.

Can be ordinary, frustrating.

Hence the need for a thread like this.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 06 Apr 2010 1:53am, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
gazrat wrote:instinctual .....bit like x , had the natural way 'trained and programmed ' out of em

we are not machines.....instinctual equates not seamlessly to 'team role'
Very true Gaz.

We might be top of the ladder with 15 wins straight, but a certain part of me misses the unpredictable flair that some of our players possess.

Hey Ross, move him forward and give him a licence to run, carry and create. You won't be disappointed.
Unpredictability leads to unpredictable conclusions. Like the coach this years results have been pretty boring, I mean 15-0 is pretty predictable.

Understand about flair, but if it means sacrificing flair for the team and a winning result, well thats what it is all about.

the Saints may look a bit robotic, but if it means a flag, I will put up with it every time, as opposed to scatty flair that leads may lead to some spectacular play but can also cost the team wins.
So I take it you're here for the "glory"/flag and not because you purely love watching footy? You say that's "what it's all about", but is that what it's "all about" for everyone? Some of us don't need a flag to feel good about ourselves and while it will be terrific and well earned, we'd still be here if we knew we'd never win one, if the footy was good enough to watch.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: So I take it you're here for the "glory"/flag and not because you purely love watching footy? You say that's "what it's all about", but is that what it's "all about" for everyone? Some of us don't need a flag to feel good about ourselves and while it will be terrific and well earned, we'd still be here if we knew we'd never win one, if the footy was good enough to watch.
I have been a Saints supporter since 1966. How long have you been :roll: I fI was only after a flag i would have supported Essendon :roll:

Save me your sanctimonious clap trap about the great glory of AFL football.

If you are not interested in the only thing that matters - a flag - good for you.

I enjoy football. I enjoyed our football in 2004-2005. I have enjoyed our football this year.

The only thing that matters though is to win the flag.

You can accept mediocrity which you obviously do.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:So I take it you're here for the "glory"/flag and not because you purely love watching footy? You say that's "what it's all about", but is that what it's "all about" for everyone? Some of us don't need a flag to feel good about ourselves and while it will be terrific and well earned, we'd still be here if we knew we'd never win one, if the footy was good enough to watch.
what?

nah.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
gazrat wrote:instinctual .....bit like x , had the natural way 'trained and programmed ' out of em

Very true Gaz.

We might be top of the ladder with 15 wins straight, but a certain part of me misses the unpredictable flair that some of our players possess.

Hey Ross, move him forward and give him a licence to run, carry and create. You won't be disappointed.
Unpredictability leads to unpredictable conclusions. Like the coach this years results have been pretty boring, I mean 15-0 is pretty predictable.

Understand about flair, but if it means sacrificing flair for the team and a winning result, well thats what it is all about.

the Saints may look a bit robotic, but if it means a flag, I will put up with it every time, as opposed to scatty flair that leads may lead to some spectacular play but can also cost the team wins.
So I take it you're here for the "glory"/flag and not because you purely love watching footy? You say that's "what it's all about", but is that what it's "all about" for everyone? Some of us don't need a flag to feel good about ourselves and while it will be terrific and well earned, we'd still be here if we knew we'd never win one, if the footy was good enough to watch.
This from the man who wants to drop players after one bad game. There wouldnt be much good footy to watch if we dropped Lenny, Kosi, Bakes, Gilbert and one or two others because they didnt play well last week.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

Very true Gaz.

This from the man who wants to drop players after one bad game. There wouldnt be much good footy to watch if we dropped Lenny, Kosi, Bakes, Gilbert and one or two others because they didnt play well last week.
That's not what I'd do and if you had even half a brain you'd know that. I'm not going to repeat myself again, as talking to you is like beating a dead horse.
You're obviously going to follow me around like a bad smell aren't you? Trying to prove me wrong at every turn, well good luck with that. As I said, you clearly like to "follow". If you don't have better things to do with your time it's seriously sad.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Congrats Raph, on your last quarter yesterday. Brilliant attack on the ball, especially in marking contests. Well done! That will have hopefully shut a few up. I hope it continues and that you shut them up for good. You can play like that each week and have a great career.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Mon 20 Jul 2009 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lets remember...
this is a raph supporters thread.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Out of interest, how do you pronounce Raphs name? BT kept calling saying Raph-el and I always thought it was Raph-a-el. Then again, he calls us Sant Kilda....

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

matrixcutter wrote:lets remember...
this is a raph supporters thread.
I thought so too, but I have a "plugger66" constantly nipping at my heels, which is hilarious!

SoopaSaint
Club Player

Raph Clarke supporters thread

Raph played a better game for St Kilda than McLeod played for Adelaide!