coveted? well done Luke anyway

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

coveted? well done Luke anyway

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/spo ... -4g18.html

Luke Ball Overcomes Injury To Win Coveted Award
James Brayshaw 17 June, 2009 - 2:03 PM

I am a big fan of the Saints' work in 2009 and a lot of that stems back to the people they have doing the 'heavy lifting'.

Not only really talented footballers, but also high quality people, people whose character is starting to reflect the clubs performance. I am speaking of Leonard Hayes, Nick Riewoldt, Max Hudgton and this week's Triple MVP, Luke Ball.

A massive introduction into the AFL for Luke, of course a part of the much hyped 'big three' with Chris Judd and Luke Hodge in the best draft the game has ever seen, certainly at the top end.

While Judd and Hodge were going from strength to strength, Luke Ball was battling his own body. Playing elite AFL football is hard enough without having to nurse a young body through debilitating, long term, explosive speed sapping injury.

Ball and the Saints furiously denied there was any problem through this period. Like all footballers and clubs they refused to dive into the 'excuse bag', and that is to be admired. But he was 'just going' for a couple of years there and it was sad to watch. A bit like a thoroughbred getting beaten around the training track by a Clydesdale.

What I loved about Luke was he never dropped off his work rate on field, never wavered in his commitment to his club and his mates, and never became despondent when things weren't going his way.

For this reason, now that they are going his way, I am delighted for him. He comes into the Footy Show on a semi-regular basis and he is a beauty. He and Campbell Brown were on a while back and I remember thinking what a joy they were to have around.

This season he is getting better and better and while the talk seemingly always surrounds Dal Santo and Montagna and Hayes, 'Lukas' is just getting the job done. Winning contested footy unflinchingly and distributing it with great skill.

If the Saints win the ultimate prize there will be no-one who deserves to bask in it more than Luke Ball. He's done some hard yards in his time, harder yards than he should have had to endure.

So this week, the Triple MVP goes to one of my favourites, Luke Ball.

comment (2)
andy says
ball was good...but i'd go with zac 'rocca' dawson.

amazing to nail that final shot.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Zac Dawson is fast becoming the most over-rated player at St.Kilda.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Zac Dawson is fast becoming the most over-rated player at St.Kilda.
heresy! he's already well ahead of max, and by seasons end will be ranked alongside sos as the great fullback of the game - that's if he hasn't won the coleman!
...apparently...

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BallBanger
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Zac Dawson is fast becoming the most over-rated player at St.Kilda.
Has a long way to go before passing gwilt/milne

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Great article from Brayshaw..... I could hardly seen McGuire at et penning something so genuine about another club.

Love you Bally!!! You are the most important "inside" player when we are at our best....

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I have the complete opposite opinion of BALL...

I think his lack of pace and kicking skills really cost us when we play quicker opponents. Yes he has battled a debilitating injury and IMO he has also been played when perhaps he should not have been. Other players might not have been so courageous - but we have to ask ourselves has it been to his and the teams long term detriment.

I love the guys approach and effort but I think his lack of running ability in todays game is affecting his ability to even get to the in under contests first.

LYON is only playing him for 60-70% match time which if fully fit would not be the case. If fit and running strongly he would be a match winner for us -but as it stands IMO he is struggling to maintain his position in the side.

IMO now is the time to give him a break and get ARMITAGE or another younger player into the side and get BALL 110% before the lead into the finals...

If this is good as he can be injury wise, then it is time for him to stand aside and let an able bodied/skilled player step in and take his position. Otherwise come finals it wil cost us dearly....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: I have the complete opposite opinion of BALL...

WinnersOnly wrote:I think his lack of pace and kicking skills really cost us when we play quicker opponents. Yes he has battled a debilitating injury and IMO he has also been played when perhaps he should not have been. Other players might not have been so courageous - but we have to ask ourselves has it been to his and the teams long term detriment.

I love the guys approach and effort but I think his lack of running ability in todays game is affecting his ability to even get to the in under contests first.

LYON is only playing him for 60-70% match time which if fully fit would not be the case. If fit and running strongly he would be a match winner for us -but as it stands IMO he is struggling to maintain his position in the side.

IMO now is the time to give him a break and get ARMITAGE or another younger player into the side and get BALL 110% before the lead into the finals...

If this is good as he can be injury wise, then it is time for him to stand aside and let an able bodied/skilled player step in and take his position. Otherwise come finals it wil cost us dearly....
Pretty sure they have a rest this week. He should stand aside for who? What player is better in the seconds? That is complete rubbish. He plays only 70% because of the way he plays. And finally why will he cost us dearly come finals time?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

quote]Pretty sure they have a rest this week. He should stand aside for who? What player is better in the seconds? That is complete rubbish. He plays only 70% because of the way he plays. And finally why will he cost us dearly come finals time?[/quote]

ARMITAGE, STEVEN, EDDY can all run and kick over a jam tin they win!

Plays 70% because he doesn't have the running capacity.

It will cost us because his opponent cuts us up on the break - plus he can not hit a target more than 30 metres away, he has become the modern day Paul CALLERY.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:quote]Pretty sure they have a rest this week. He should stand aside for who? What player is better in the seconds? That is complete rubbish. He plays only 70% because of the way he plays. And finally why will he cost us dearly come finals time?
ARMITAGE, STEVEN, EDDY can all run and kick over a jam tin they win!

Plays 70% because he doesn't have the running capacity.

It will cost us because his opponent cuts us up on the break - plus he can not hit a target more than 30 metres away, he has become the modern day Paul CALLERY.[/quote]

Do you have stats on how long Armo, Steven and Eddy are playing at Sandy. Who are his oponents who have cut him up this year? Did you know Lenny has only averaged 70% game time this year. Has his running capacity down or is he just stuffed when he comes off because he works so hard. Lastly have you been to most of the Sandy games this year to see these other guys play because if you had you would realise kicking isnt a great feature of the 3 guys you mentioned.
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 17 Jun 2009 10:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

And who exactly is gonna get the same in and under clearances, possessions and tackles as Luke?
Coz they must be REALLY ripping it up at Sandy :shock: :roll: :roll:

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I love the fact that ppl are desperate for these third tier players to be given a go at the expense of proven seasoned players. Maybe these 3rd tier players should be brought in, so we learn to appreciate our seasoned players.

emmdee
Club Player

Well said James Brayshaw, the application shown on the field by luke is the character building stuff that glues a team together and demands 100% effort from other team mates. Thanks Luke for the many centre clearances you have helped orchestrate so far this season...

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
rexy
SS Life Member

Luke Ball, senior player, very important to the side, positives out weigh the negatives, natural leader, best 22. Period

Maybe this year?
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The only downside i find with Ball is he can barely kick over a jam tin...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
PJ
SS Life Member

The only downside i find with Ball is he can barely kick over a jam tin...
Just as well there are no jam tins in the modern game.

Speaking of jam
I think his lack of pace and kicking skills really cost us when we play quicker opponents. Yes he has battled a debilitating injury and IMO he has also been played when perhaps he should not have been. Other players might not have been so courageous - but we have to ask ourselves has it been to his and the teams long term detriment.

Got to agree with Plugger here your stats and suggested back ups to replace Luke are fanciful at best. What's your next theory??!!

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Milton66
SS Life Member

This would have to be one of the silliest, dumbest threads I've read (mine included).

Everyone knows that jam comes in a jar. FFS, jam tin?

Anyway, back on topic. He playes 70% because RL has stated that he rotates Ball and Hayes for the clearances... hence keeping them fresh.

Bally is a pile driver. Anyone expecting him to kick like BJ or run like Judd need to have their hand removed.

Armo, Steven blag blah blah. Not good enough to displace our 22nd player picked each week, yet people want Ball dropped for one of them?

OMFG!

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:This would have to be one of the silliest, dumbest threads I've read (mine included).

Everyone knows that jam comes in a jar. FFS, jam tin?

Anyway, back on topic. He playes 70% because RL has stated that he rotates Ball and Hayes for the clearances... hence keeping them fresh.

Bally is a pile driver. Anyone expecting him to kick like BJ or run like Judd need to have their hand removed.

Armo, Steven blag blah blah. Not good enough to displace our 22nd player picked each week, yet people want Ball dropped for one of them?

OMFG!
I couldnt have said it better myself matter of fact I think I did.

Milton66
SS Life Member

That's because you are really me, posting under a different nic. Although you mucked it up in the other thread by replying to yourself with the same nic.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Jimmy1972
Club Player

Hands off Donkey Boy!! Strength Through Loyalty!!!!!!! :evil:

PJ
SS Life Member

That is a seriously bad shot of Ross on your avatar J1972. He looks like an old country and western singer after a big night on the p#ss.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:That is a seriously bad shot of Ross on your avatar J1972. He looks like an old country and western singer after a big night on the p#ss.
great call, looks like he just wants to cuddle that football and cry about that country gal who left him....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Jimmy1972
Club Player

Should I change it? I think its very 80's. Ross rembering the Fitzroy days.

Could win the Archibald

:D

Jimmy1972
Club Player

Do I have to change it :(

PJ
SS Life Member

Just needs a white bandana round the neck & a stetson.

SLIM LYON singing a few of his camp side favorites:

"You picked a fine time to leave me Harveeee"

"Tie the kangaroos down sport"

& "Old McQualter had a farm"

Jimmy1972
Club Player

How is that?