A Loris theory on Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

A Loris theory on Goddard

In swimming racing terms IMHO Goddard is a 'negative splitter'. That is you come home faster in the second half of your race.

I been noticing(mainly since the Collingwood game) Goddard has not been so sharp in the first quarter or two. He's OK if he's out on his own mopping up or receiving then his skills are sublime. But early in a game when put under pressure he has made some terrible clangers this year. And he seems so slow when the ball is below his knees, also some of his handballs have put teammates under pressure.

To me he seems too slow under pressure (if he's not out on his own receiving) when the game starts and is usually faster for the first half. However once the pace has gone out of the game to an extent he then comes to the fore. When opposition players seem to tire then Goddard starts to create time for himself to make the right decisions. Harves was another one whose game got better once the pace of the game had evened out, but never made the clangers in and under like Goddard often does.

Does anyone else think that Goddard is a negative splitter??

I guess it''s a bit like the tall players don't get any shorter as a game wears on and usually get the better of their shorter opponents.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

no.

rexy
SS Life Member

Definately an element of that to his game loris, i had never thought about it in terms of what stage of the game but more that he is definately better with his use when the preassure is not as intense on his disposal. You might have something there though. I have noticed that he usually has one really poor disposal early in a game, almost like it is clearing out of his system, like a fast bowler with a loosening delivery. When he missed the easy target in the last quarter yesterday I was shocked. Very unusual.

In the top 3 players on our list and best 22 in the league IMO. Will be robbed if not an all australian this year.

Maybe this year?
SaintHomer
Club Player

did you watch the eagles game?

disagree sorry.

rexy
SS Life Member

SaintHomer wrote:did you watch the eagles game?

disagree sorry.
To be fair to Loris, she didnt say he has never started a game well in his life. She is talking about a trend. Also worth noting that most of his disposals in the first quarter against the Eagles were set shots. You have time to execute well from set shots so in some ways it supports the theory.

Maybe this year?
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

So Quarters 1 & 2 in the forward line for 5 - 8 goals - then down back for quarters 3 & 4 to rack up a cool 20+ disposals - got the BJ all worked out - now if there was only some way of guaranteeing this!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I don't think he is playing quite as well as the beginning of the year. But if you watch the repay, he actually plays way better than I originally thought.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: A Loris theory on Goddard

loris wrote:In swimming racing terms IMHO Goddard is a 'negative splitter'. That is you come home faster in the second half of your race.

I been noticing(mainly since the Collingwood game) Goddard has not been so sharp in the first quarter or two. He's OK if he's out on his own mopping up or receiving then his skills are sublime. But early in a game when put under pressure he has made some terrible clangers this year. And he seems so slow when the ball is below his knees, also some of his handballs have put teammates under pressure.

To me he seems too slow under pressure (if he's not out on his own receiving) when the game starts and is usually faster for the first half. However once the pace has gone out of the game to an extent he then comes to the fore. When opposition players seem to tire then Goddard starts to create time for himself to make the right decisions. Harves was another one whose game got better once the pace of the game had evened out, but never made the clangers in and under like Goddard often does.

I guess it''s a bit like the tall players don't get any shorter as a game wears on and usually get the better of their shorter opponents.

Yep.

He is not a fast mover/decision maker.

The Sainter
Club Player

Rexy is right, definitely in the top 3 players at the club. Two of his passes resulted in Kosi goals. He made some mistakes but he didn't have that on his own. Blake and Baker seemed to be in dreamland at times when they got the ball. Dal's kicking to position the last 2 games has slipped back from his early matches this year but his last quarter effort was great.
Goddard is always putting the hard tackle on opponents often resulting in his Saint team mates getting the spill he creates. Have a good look at the replay and see how many of his handballs set up opportunities for us.
As stated he did make a few blues but 30 possessions again showed what a consistent player he is.

avid
Club Player

Re: A Loris theory on Goddard

loris wrote:
Yes, me too! I've been noticing his terrible first quarters for a while -- full of errors and *uck-ups. Then he settles down, usually, and dominates.

Then again there was that game where he had 4goals by 1/4 time.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Agree.

Has always been poor below his knees and isn't the best decision maker under pressure.

Needs time and space to be effective.

Overhead he's very good and his use of the footy cannot be questioned but it is those two weaknesses which stand in his way of being an elite midfielder.

Is most suited to the play-maker role at the back IMO because of the amount of space he's afforded.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of negative splits...I reckon Roo's kicking falls into this category too

His worst misses are generally early in the game..seems to get the radar working better as the game progresses.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

What about a Loris thread on Roger. What makes this meek and mild butcher tick. What’s he really like at carving up the beef and is he as clumsy below the knees as Goddard?

Another opportunity awaits!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:What about a Loris thread on Roger. What makes this meek and mild butcher tick. What’s he really like at carving up the beef and is he as clumsy below the knees as Goddard?
Being a vegetarian I'm never around when he is carving up the meat!!!