Verdun Howell Brownlow up for auction

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

eel33
Club Player

Verdun Howell Brownlow up for auction

Article on p.14 of today's Herald Sun, says that Verdun Howell's 1959 retrospective Brownlow (tied with Bobby Skilton, but missed out at the time on countback rules, with medal awarded by the VFL in 1989 when they changed the rules) will be auctioned next month. Howell wil be 73 next month and is selling the medal for his family's benefit.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

This is where I wish the club had a heavy hitter cashed up supporter, or better still the club had the cash to buy it.

At auction.

For what it is worth.

To benefit the Howell family.

And to be kept where it will be truly valued for what it is.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Or indeed a web forum full of saintsationals who could all afford a little who could together make a single bid and donate it to the trophy cabinet!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

How much do they normally go for?

I think it would be a great idea to get some money together.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I spoke to the Club about it (and other memorabilia that Verdun is now selling) in the hope that they might be in a position to purchase it/them for the Heritage Museum.
Unfortunately not, hence the reason it is now up for public auction.

I've also spoken to a couple of Saints memorabilia collectors/supporters who would love to have it but the price is not in their range.

There seems to be only 1 name that consistantly comes up.

Who knows Lindsay Fox well enough to talk to him about it?

Others who may be in a position to pay the price might include:-
Rod Butters
Greg Westaway
Andrew Plympton

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The record price for a Brownlow Medal was $74,000, paid at auction nine years ago for the 1972 medal won by the late Collingwood ruckman Len Thompson.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:Or indeed a web forum full of saintsationals who could all afford a little who could together make a single bid and donate it to the trophy cabinet!!!
$500 each?? I would pay that.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Not a big fan of retrospective Brownlows.

I can fully understand why Verdun is selling it.
It didn't exist for 30 years.
He knows he was beaten on a countback, but never considered himself a Brownlow medalist.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Not a big fan of retrospective Brownlows.

He knows he was beaten on a countback, but never considered himself a Brownlow medalist.

yep.......i knew verdon when i was a teenager..loved watching him play...so don't want to belittle his achievements...but he isn't a ridgy didge brownlow medalist......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
widereceiver
Club Player

stinger wrote:
yep.......i knew verdon when i was a teenager..loved watching him play...so don't want to belittle his achievements...but he isn't a ridgy didge brownlow medalist......
absolute bollocks to that.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Not a big fan of retrospective Brownlows.

I suugest you speak to Lew Mutch if you want to know the truth.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:Or indeed a web forum full of saintsationals who could all afford a little who could together make a single bid and donate it to the trophy cabinet!!!
$500 each?? I would pay that.
Could we maybe take some pledges - contact Verdun - tell him the plan and see if he will withdraw it from auction and sell it to US. then we could probably get a set price - target - Maybe 1,000 shares at $50.00 a share then those that can afford $500 can get 10 shares!

― Aristophanes

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Neither was Banger first time around.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We may find its price, but not its value.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Does anyone know what else he is putting up for auction ?

mcadam05
Club Player

GrumpyOne

Lost a bit of respect for Verdun.

Footy's highest individual honour and he's selling it on the marketplace.

$50,000?

In the current economic climate I'd be surprised.

Perhaps he should have invested in private health insurance instead.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
stinger wrote:

WTF !!!

It's the best AND fairest.

What will be next from this club ?
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

VietNam_Saint wrote:
Thinline wrote:
stinger wrote:

WTF !!!

It's the best AND fairest.
Fairest and best.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'm not being disrespectful, but even the most one-eyed St Kilda supporter should recognise that Chris Grant's supension was pretty tiggy touchwood and highly irregular...

Yes, fairest and best etc, and Banger had a ripping year, but Grant was without a doubt the standout player that year IMO. 27 votes for a non-midfielder was a fine, fine effort.

Couldn't find footage of the said incident, but the following sums it up...

"It was round seven 1997, Footscray were playing Hawthorn at Princes Park, Chris Grant was in great form and the Doggies were on a roll. Grant lined up at centre-half-forward and had yet another great game finishing with 29 disposals, 11 marks and 2 goals. But during the match he was involved in a marking contest with Nick Holland, that was slightly dubious, but no report was made on the day.

"The umpires gave it the all clear, not only on the day, but after the game they reviewed it and didn't see an incident that warranted a report or suspension, so they didn't send it to the tribunal," says Grant.

In fact all three field umpires; Hayden Kennedy, Darren McCauley and Jamie Love not only didn't report Grant, but they award him the three votes for a best on ground performance.

Operations Manager at the time Ian Collins had a different opinion, he decided that the incident was reportable and for the first time he overrode the umpire's decision and sent Grant to the tribunal.

"All of that was really disappointing... this had never happened before, why are you doing this to such a small incident?"

The tribunal hearing that followed was equally extraordinary, all three field umpires were called as witnesses to Grant's defence and they once again reiterated that the incident was not reportable.

But the tribunal disagreed and suspended Grant for a week.

"We didn't know what the ramifications would be until the end of the year."

The ramifications were great; in fact aside from missing a grand final, it was the greatest consequence an AFL player could suffer. Grant missed out on winning the highest individual honour, the Brownlow Medal. He finished with 27 votes, one ahead of Robert Harvey, but due to the report was ineligible. Harvey was awarded the Brownlow."

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:I'm not being disrespectful, but even the most one-eyed St Kilda supporter should recognise that Chris Grant's supension was pretty tiggy touchwood and highly irregular...

Yes, fairest and best etc, and Banger had a ripping year, but Grant was without a doubt the standout player that year IMO. 27 votes for a non-midfielder was a fine, fine effort.

Couldn't find footage of the said incident, but the following sums it up...

"It was round seven 1997, Footscray were playing Hawthorn at Princes Park, Chris Grant was in great form and the Doggies were on a roll. Grant lined up at centre-half-forward and had yet another great game finishing with 29 disposals, 11 marks and 2 goals. But during the match he was involved in a marking contest with Nick Holland, that was slightly dubious, but no report was made on the day.

"The umpires gave it the all clear, not only on the day, but after the game they reviewed it and didn't see an incident that warranted a report or suspension, so they didn't send it to the tribunal," says Grant.

In fact all three field umpires; Hayden Kennedy, Darren McCauley and Jamie Love not only didn't report Grant, but they award him the three votes for a best on ground performance.

Operations Manager at the time Ian Collins had a different opinion, he decided that the incident was reportable and for the first time he overrode the umpire's decision and sent Grant to the tribunal.

"All of that was really disappointing... this had never happened before, why are you doing this to such a small incident?"

The tribunal hearing that followed was equally extraordinary, all three field umpires were called as witnesses to Grant's defence and they once again reiterated that the incident was not reportable.

But the tribunal disagreed and suspended Grant for a week.

"We didn't know what the ramifications would be until the end of the year."

The ramifications were great; in fact aside from missing a grand final, it was the greatest consequence an AFL player could suffer. Grant missed out on winning the highest individual honour, the Brownlow Medal. He finished with 27 votes, one ahead of Robert Harvey, but due to the report was ineligible. Harvey was awarded the Brownlow."
Well done Harvey..and just to prove he was worthy (unlike Cooney) he won it twice.....A true legend of the game

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. Cooney is good, not great. Gablett was robbed blind...

GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne wrote:Lost a bit of respect for Verdun.

$50,000?

In the current economic climate I'd be surprised.

Perhaps he should have invested in private health insurance instead.
Since making this post, I have been apprised of Verdun's circumstances.

I was too hasty in coming to judgement on Verdun, and for that I apologise. :oops:

Legendary
Club Player

Yes, but after he was suspended and made ineligible for the Brownlow, Christ Grant received 3 votes for a game when he had 3 kicks and 1 mark for the match.

Karma.

ctqs
Club Player

[quote="GrumpyOne"]Lost a bit of respect for Verdun.

quote]

Not having a go - just curious - but how come? The medal is just a symbol. The title is the real honour. And isn't it honourable that he's trying to benefit his family?

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.