How many (few) Saints fans were there last night???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
saint66au wrote:
QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:There seemed to be a fair few Saints supporters there, although obviously outnumbered by the Pies (no surprise). But what was dissapointing for me was the lack of noise we generated! We are on top of the ladder and are playing great footy, if there is any time to go nuts and cheer on your team its now!! The noise level did seem to lift in the last quarter...but that was junk time obviously.
Actually I reckon noise-wise on TV we held our own OK. hard to tell from where I was sitting cos I was surrounded by Saints. The CS/MW bays behind the goals were loud...and I think everyone in those bays got their pic in the paper or their head on TV lol
The amount of cheering/noise our fans make has been disapointing for years now. I bang on about it (especially on SS) whenever I get the chance in the hope that on mass the supporters collectively do something about it. I still reckon the club and the cheersquad have a role to play.

I still remember the 2005 prelim having all of the atmosphere of a ladies croquet match and that was even early on in the game when we were on top and then when it got close and then when the Swans hit the front. The Saints crowd just sat down and made very little noise. And most games I go to it is like that. So I'll say it again, what is wrong with our real support on match day. Geez I miss Moorabbin.
Same here,I sound like a broken record,but i just don't understand what happened to our noise factor. In the 90's we were animals,with passion. Now we are almost on par with the SCG crowd which is very very sad

Bring back the Lockett era
kaos theory
Club Player

???? No sure what some people are complaining about....

It was an away game against collingwood at the dome. Their supporters had large reserve sections of the ground, which has limitied capacity. The game was virtually sold out.

Any club would be struggling to get more than 15k at an away game vs. the pies at the dome. I'd say we did a little better than that.

Our crowds will start going up from now on. Its taken a little while to get going. You need to remember that many fans at the start of the year thought our game style was boring, and that we were heading down the ladder. That combined with the recession, meant that a lot of fans decided to not buy memberships and/or save some money & not attend games this year.

But its starting to change. We probably had more fans at the dogs game (another away game), and this week against the bummers looks like selling out....so get in early....the bandwagon will pick up...

kaos theory
Club Player

Same here,I sound like a broken record,but i just don't understand what happened to our noise factor. In the 90's we were animals,with passion. Now we are almost on par with the SCG crowd which is very very sad
That's rediculous. Yes it did drop off over the last 2 years, because our form and exictment about where we were heading as a team wasn't looking good. Before that in 04 & 05 in particular, it was pretty good.

There were a lot of home games where we generated a lot of noise, and we were starting to develop a fortress.

I remember a dons supporter who attended our home game vs the dons in 04 remark that he didn't realise that we had that many supporters and that we were that noisy.

get a tape of some of the home games back in 04 & 05 and see the difference... We will get back there this yr, if we keep playing as we do.

Don't agree about 05 prelim - thats BS. There was a lot of noise, unitl 3/4 time.....after that it was just pockets of swans supporters..

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

The more Collingwood supporters suffering the better

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
That's rediculous. Yes it did drop off over the last 2 years, because our form and exictment about where we were heading as a team wasn't looking good. Before that in 04 & 05 in particular, it was pretty good.

There were a lot of home games where we generated a lot of noise, and we were starting to develop a fortress.

I remember a dons supporter who attended our home game vs the dons in 04 remark that he didn't realise that we had that many supporters and that we were that noisy.

get a tape of some of the home games back in 04 & 05 and see the difference... We will get back there this yr, if we keep playing as we do.

Don't agree about 05 prelim - thats BS. There was a lot of noise, unitl 3/4 time.....after that it was just pockets of swans supporters..
Yeah 04 was pretty good,that's when it started changing though I reckon. The more wins we got,the less noise we made it seemed. In 05 I moved to the NT for a few years,but would still get to the odd game here and there. Each time the difference was huge. Now it's a full blown theatre going crowd.
They need to open the roof up in the rain,tip mud over everyone so we can get some culture back into the people

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:???? No sure what some people are complaining about....

It was an away game against collingwood at the dome. Their supporters had large reserve sections of the ground, which has limitied capacity. The game was virtually sold out.

Any club would be struggling to get more than 15k at an away game vs. the pies at the dome. I'd say we did a little better than that.

Our crowds will start going up from now on. Its taken a little while to get going. You need to remember that many fans at the start of the year thought our game style was boring, and that we were heading down the ladder. That combined with the recession, meant that a lot of fans decided to not buy memberships and/or save some money & not attend games this year.

But its starting to change. We probably had more fans at the dogs game (another away game), and this week against the bummers looks like selling out....so get in early....the bandwagon will pick up...
It's not a complaint, more of an observation mixed with disappointment :wink:

But seriously I think being an away game at the Dome or MCG has become irrelevant since the suburban grounds were abolished. Yeah maybe playing the Pies is an marginal exception because of their bigger supporter base and ration of supporters to ours on any given Match day, but what is noticeable is that actual amount of noise and cheering from the Saints supporters. I use the 2005 prelim as an example, we clearly had a bigger crowd than the Swans that night and yet noise and cheering we made was virtually nil. And most games I have attended since have been noticeably similar. I just can't put my finger on why but the atmosphere is not there. Every time I have seen the Lions play at the Gabba the crowd goes off. I've felt for a few year that there is a real opportunity for our club to lead the way in an innovative way to get our supporters to chant, cheer and generally create some sought of unique atmosphere that is recognised throughout country.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:Did you notice how many fans were left after halftime?

It was only Saints supporters, all the flith supporters had begun making their way home over the bridge!!!
i heard the crime rate was up all over the city between half time and full time.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Yeah 04 was pretty good,that's when it started changing though I reckon. The more wins we got,the less noise we made it seemed. In 05 I moved to the NT for a few years,but would still get to the odd game here and there. Each time the difference was huge. Now it's a full blown theatre going crowd.
They need to open the roof up in the rain,tip mud over everyone so we can get some culture back into the people
Jonesy I couldn't agree more. It's the same for me coming down from Cairns. I've noticed it over the years. You are spot on. In 2004 we seemed loud. In 2005 you could notice the Saints crowd getting quieter and by the time we got to the 2005 prelim the supporters were in a cocoon. It's as though we were that nervous about the outcome of the Prelim that the supporters were to busy chewing their finger nails.

If the posts on this site leading up to last nights game are anything to go by I'd say that part of the problem is that we worry ourselves sick and just assume the foetal position without a whimper. :D

I don't know how many posts I read last week that stated how nervous, or how worried people were about the Pies game. So I suppose our supporters go to games just sh1tting themselves too much to get involved in the game

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
jonesy wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Jonesy I couldn't agree more. It's the same for me coming down from Cairns. I've noticed it over the years. You are spot on. In 2004 we seemed loud. In 2005 you could notice the Saints crowd getting quieter and by the time we got to the 2005 prelim the supporters were in a cocoon. It's as though we were that nervous about the outcome of the Prelim that the supporters were to busy chewing their finger nails.

If the posts on this site leading up to last nights game are anything to go by I'd say that part of the problem is that we worry ourselves sick and just assume the foetal position without a whimper. :D

I don't know how many posts I read last week. that stated how nervous, or how worried people were about the Pies game. So I suppose our supporters go to games just sh1tting themselves too much to get involved in the game
I dunno what it is,but it sh!ts me. What happened to the days of the angry roar at Stkilda? Loved the angry roar!! Those days where things were going against you,bad umpires,down by 14 points,playing like sh!t,then we get one,and the crowd stand as one and just let all that anger out of there system in unison, some just point and yell "F#k off!".

Also like the 'on the run goal' roar. A long bomb goal on the run used to be lift the roof off moments. Just a stand as one mighty blood curdling roar. Now Gram or goddard bomb a 55meter goal on the run that should lift the roof off,I'm standing yelling my head off,and I look around and people are sitting clapping. I shake my head and wonder if I'm stuck in yesterdays era.