26 000

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

26 000

ouch. So we write a cheque for the privlidge of spanking that VFL grade rabble tonight?

Shame, I guess it takes more than 4 superb weeks to win back the flogs who have dropped us over the last two years of..erm...testing footy.

Get on board you flogs ffs!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Ordinary crowd. Even the most of the one's there made little or no noise. I am at a loss as too what's happened to our supporter base, gone from one of the loudest,to SCG clones

Bring back the Lockett era
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Ordinary crowd. Even the most of the one's there made little or no noise. I am at a loss as too what's happened to our supporter base, gone from one of the loudest,to SCG clones
lets be fair....we played a side tonight that I almost fell asleep watching....hard to get excited by that.

“Yeah….nah””
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I thought they were ok support wise, not the most passive I have experienced. Im more concderned as to drop off, its been huge. I mean, what do the team have to do ? We seem to have a most fickle support base, even more so than other teams it seems.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
jonesy wrote:Ordinary crowd. Even the most of the one's there made little or no noise. I am at a loss as too what's happened to our supporter base, gone from one of the loudest,to SCG clones
lets be fair....we played a side tonight that I almost fell asleep watching....hard to get excited by that.
True,but what's the excuse been the last 5 years? I noticed the crowd noise dissapearing in 04(strange,as we were flying),and it's only getting worse.

Bring back the Lockett era
midas_touch
Club Player

There would have been only about 52 freo fans at tonight's game, 26000 was right about what i expected tonight's crowd to be. Freo vs Saints games never really pull big crowds.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Only our fourth game there against the Dockers.

Better crowd than the last two games.

R13 Fremantle 4.3 6.3 9.5 10.5 65 2.0 5.2 7.6 8.9 57 W Docklands 22440 20-Jun-2008
R20 Fremantle 4.3 10.5 16.10 19.12 126 4.4 7.9 10.11 14.12 96 W Docklands 24041 18-Aug-2007
R22 Fremantle 4.1 9.5 12.7 17.10 112 3.3 5.6 8.9 12.11 83 W Docklands 35329 28-Aug-2004

Huzzad
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Who cares who we are facing? The Saints are still playing...

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

What does St Kilda have to do to get support? This is nothing new, we are passionless and I just don't understand why, never have. Drives me insane. :evil:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
No1_Saint
Club Player

There are two things here that affected the crowd:

1. Fremantle is rarely a team that you would consider a must see team.
2. They had none of their supporters there.

Even Essendon had a very average crowd against Fremantle. Such is life I guess.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Our crowd noise and general atmosphere has been a problem for a while. I think the club should address it. The cheer squad should get some assistance from the club to help them make some noise.

Cheers squads in general have lost their mojo since they were banned from throwing stripped up phone books. They should be allowed to do it.

SaintDebi
Club Player

[quote="Cairnsman"]Our crowd noise and general atmosphere has been a problem for a while. I think the club should address it. The cheer squad should get some assistance from the club to help them make some noise.

The cheer squad should get some assistance from US.
Look at the size of the ground and the number of bays of seating. Why should the onus be on just one bay to create all the noise? I realise it is the cheersquad's "job" to lead us in our cheering but I've said it before and I implore everyone again: for goodness sake MAKE SOME NOISE!

falka
Club Player

Can someone answer this question please?

I am a 16 game member, so the money has gone to the club. Correct?

So if i turn up or not, does that impact on how much money the team makes or not?

I always hear you need say 27000 to break even, or 30000, whatever, but if i have payed already, what does it matter?

For instance if we have 30000 members, but no one turns up is that better or worse than 30 000 members who turn up.

Would be great if you could answer this

Legendary
Club Player

falka wrote:Can someone answer this question please?

I am a 16 game member, so the money has gone to the club. Correct?

So if i turn up or not, does that impact on how much money the team makes or not?

I always hear you need say 27000 to break even, or 30000, whatever, but if i have payed already, what does it matter?

For instance if we have 30000 members, but no one turns up is that better or worse than 30 000 members who turn up.

Would be great if you could answer this
The money from the membership goes directly to the club.

Due to the costs of operating the stadium for a match, by the time the stadium operators take out their margin of profit, St Kilda need about 28-30,000 people to turn up before they start making any money from the match.

That's where the advantage in the old suburban home grounds was, because club's effectively ran the stadium themselves too - removing the need for the stadium operator to make a profit.

It's why Geelong make so much money.

falka
Club Player

That doesn't answer the question?

Legendary
Club Player

falka wrote:That doesn't answer the question?
Membership and playing a match at the Docklands are separate things.

St Kilda sells memberships itself, and give Saints fans the right to attend their home games.

They then find a stadium (the Docklands) at which to play these matches.

They make an agreement with the stadium, who provide their services at a price. It's not free for the Saints to play there.

The stadium company needs to make money itself .... so by the time they take into account the cost of employing everyone on gameday and the electricity etc, it works out that they will only give St Kilda any money made from the game when more than 28,000 people attend. With more people than this, the Docklands can cover their costs and make a profit, and then the Saints get some $$.

With less people than that, the stadium company isn't making their required profit, so under the agreement the Saints don't get anything - the receipts from tickets, the food and drink sales etc - it all goes to the Docklands stadium company.

falka
Club Player

OK, I understand that, but if 50000 turn up to the game, how does that make Etihad money. The catering companies have paid to be there, the ticket sellers at the gate are paid to be there.

Is it just a number the stadium have pulled out of the hat?

I suppose my queries just highlight how silly these deals are,

Thanks Legendary for your answers,

Go Saints

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

can I suggest it could be question for Michael's mailbag

or michaeln@saints.com.au

there are probably more out there who would like to know the answer

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
falka
Club Player

I suppose what I really want to know is, even though I am a member payed up, should I still turn up, even though I don't buy any food or use their parking, so Etihad don't make anything from me?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I think it is the following:-

The 28,000-30,000 figure is a guestimate based on the average 'mix' of those that turn up - members, reserved seat holders, Access1, AFL members, Medallion Club, Corporate Box holders and general admission public.

In theory 28,000 Saints members only could turn up at a home game (no general admissions sold) and there would be no gate receipts for the Stadium. The only money they would receive directly is their portion of the 'reserved seats sold to these members. In such a case (probably impossible to accur) the Club would have to pay Etihad their negotiated base rent.

There is obviously a rental figure per game (x dollars) which the Club has to pay Etihad Stadium for the use of the facilities, and that would equate to a general crowd figure of 28000-30000 people (members plus public)

Once you get over that rental figure there is probably a 'profit sharing arrangement' for every extra dollar spent in getting into teh stadium.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="falka"]OK, I understand that, but if 50000 turn up to the game, how does that make Etihad money. The catering companies have paid to be there, the ticket sellers at the gate are paid to be there.

Is it just a number the stadium have pulled out of the hat?

I suppose my queries just highlight how silly these deals are,

Thanks Legendary for your answers,

Go Saints[/quote]

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

My simple theory of it is
the AFL have contract via the clubs to use the stadiums
they reimburse the Stadiums based on the number of people through the gates- dependant on the contract the clubs have-
over a base number there is the "profit' that goes to the clubs..

your membership is like a proposed booking ( promise) which is then activated by your attendance / going through the gates

YES you need to attend for the club to ' get the most" benefit
not sure of the finite details.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ace
Saintsational Legend

Jihad Stadium sabotages St Kilda’s opportunities to sell memberships.
Seats with a good view of the game attract spectators and club members but not at Jihad Stadium.

Anyone at the game on Saturday would have observed that less than 10% of the seats on the west side of Level 2 were not occupied.
Less than 50% of the seats on the east side of level 2 were occupied.
But these empty seats were not available to any other spectators at the game.

All those level 2 seats on the west side had been sold to Medallion Club subscribers on a reserved but transferable basis for all matches at the ground. If the subscriber does not come or send a friend that seat remains empty. They can not be sold on the day and no one else can move in.
Many of the seats on level 2 had been sold to Access One Premium subscribers on a reserved but transferable basis for all matches at the ground.

This is different to the Melbourne Cricket Club area at the MCG in two respects.
The MCC occupy one quarter of the MCG but those seats are spread over all levels not just on the best viewing level.
MCC seats are not reserved for individuals, they are available to all members on a walk up basis (except for seats reserved for people who have booked dining on the day).

If the Medallion Club and Access One Premium occupied all levels and on a walk up basis most of level 2 could be available for St Kilda members without reserved seats who come to the game on the day.
This would be far more attractive than watching ants run around the ground from high up on level 3.
Membership numbers would be larger as a result.

Dishonest Dimwit remains silent on this issue because once they take ownership of Jihad Stadium the AFL wants to pursue similar policies.
The AFL would be more than happy to have spectator free matches so long as the AFL makes a large profit.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Buckets
SS Life Member

Not that suprised really. Freo don't draw a big crowd. Was always going to be a smaller than average crowd but at the same time as has been said 26,000 is better than the last two matches between the two clubs at Etihad Stadium.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you