Why??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GSG
Club Player

Why??

There are a few things that currently puzzle me.

We won the NAB cup last year and finished fourth on the ladder, BUT…

• On the membership ladder, we’re about fourth from the bottom

• Our membership is down on the same time last year, while
(apart from Essendon) every other club’s is up

• And again, in the merchandising department, St. Kilda is about
fourth from the bottom

Why?

• Lack of confidence in Ross Lyon?
• Lack of confidence in the playing list?
• No confidence in the Club, particularly it’s administration?
• No PR resulting in very low visibility of the Club?
• Never see or hear from the Pres?
• Members simply giving up waiting for the big one, in turn giving up on
the club?
• Sick of getting the crap from the media?
• Lousy draw – too many Sunday games, incl. Monday, and too many
interstate games?
• Move to Seaford?
• Giving up Tassie (probably the most moronic decision made by the
Club)?
• All of the above?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think you've answered it all yourself. It has become a mediocre, passionless, uninviting, boring club.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

No wonder the merchandising dept. is stuggling.
l was in a sports store the other day & l noticed the new clash jumper was there on display.
To borrow a quote, it was as "plain as an Arrowroot biscuit"
Very boring & uninspiring.
The club could have given the merchandise department a real shot in the arm had they'd nailed it with a great design.
-I don't expect to see too many them at the footy.

Through no fault of their own, I think the club would've lost out with it's extensive Harvey souvenir, range as his quick departure to Carlton may have affected the sales they were banking on.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Reckon you stated most of the reasons there yourself mate.

It can't be put down to just one or two factors - ultimately, the teams lack of success in this department is a result of a combination of all the things you mentioned.

The Saints are coming!
StSteven
Club Player

Should we be worried?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Good move getting rid of Butters wasn't it.

GSG
Club Player

spert wrote:Good move getting rid of Butters wasn't it.

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm??

saintjake
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:I think you've answered it all yourself. It has become a mediocre, passionless, uninviting, boring club.
thats it in a nutshell mad saint.
look at the filth, now i know we all hate the filth, but they preach about the clubs past and the clubs history,
every player recruited is handed the club book, with history and club legend details.
and they have eddie everywhere as their president, who stands up for the club, look at him, he is passionate doesnt want to change the uniform as its not collingwood, when the players speak about the club, its all respect and pride.
you dont get that feeling at st.kilda
something big is missing down there.

Bono
Club Player

the problem is there is no history at the club, everything is short term without continuity. People at the top are usually only in it for themselves. Why would membership actually be up!? Linton St looks like a bomb site - very uninspiring. We don really have a base anymore - they train at Moorabbin (for the meantime anyway) yet some of those sessions are closed. The social club is basicaly non-existant - no functios there, no club nights on a Thurs etc. We get a crap deal at Docklands and its difficult to actually get a decent seat there without paying an arm and a leg. Now we start playing a boring style of footy (I would rather watch us lose an exciting shoot-out match than win won that you've walked out of prior to the end of the match).

And what about the family day at Franston tomorrow!! How does that work. We have nothing to do with them!

GSG
Club Player

And what about the family day at Franston tomorrow!! How does that work. We have nothing to do with them![/quote]

Frankston was (originally) not a bad idea. Frankston could have been a second Geelong – at the other end of the Bay. They could have eventually captured the whole city, the oval being right smack bang in the middle. On the way home, stop at the oval and watch them train, not to mention establishing a decent Social Club.
But no, once again, they were not prepared to take the risk and spend the money, or even try to get the money somehow. It had to be the wishy washy Seaford solution, totally out of the way!! They never really seem to get it quite right.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

The club is losing it's identity, diminishing the essence of what it stands for.

To become a powerhouse St Kilda should base it self in St Kilda, the most marketable suburb in Victoria, yet the club now seeks to base itself on the whims of a man who has now left the club, in the backblocks of Seaford and embrace Frankston like it's some holy grail!

St Kilda in St Kilda would make this club have a real strong identity which would translate into something meaningful, players would want to come to our club, we would be seen as a desirable club to play for, which would translate into onfield success and much revenue in terms of marketing and merchandise!

Now the club is heading further south, yes that is exactly what this move is, both geographically and metaphorically!

The club doesn't stand for anything anymore!

The Western Bulldogs will go from strength to strength because they are getting a state of the art facility at the Whitten Oval in Footscray!

The Western Bulldogs will overtake us eventually in membership and be a stronger club than us because of this!

This is all because of the proposal/submission put forward by Archie Fraser who could sell ice to eskimoes, which the current board has accepted.

When the Frankston park proposal fell over, Archie Fraser drove around the Frankston area looking for a vacant lot and then the board ticked this off!

I have been told personally by a board member that Archie Fraser's Belvedere park option was given the green light by the board, because they thought they needed to make a quick decision!

Yes this is a fact, I was told directly from a board member, that the board thought they needed to make a quick decision!

Now Archie Fraser is gone, but the mess that this will create will be around for a long time until the club eventually has to merge or relocate!

So many were so keen to get rid of Butterss, but I know for a fact that if Moorabbin were not possible then he was determined to once again relocate the club in the St Kilda area!

The one thing this club is famous for is making premature decisions and shooting itself in the foot!

A current long serving player when asked about the Seaford relocation said " Yeah a few of the boys are not real happy about it"

Would it not be far more appropriate to have a state of the art facility located somewhere close to where we actually play our home games, which might be handy for any after game physio etc...etc...

If only Butterss was still here, we would be more than likely relocating to some vacant lot in the St Kilda area instead of the back blocks of Seaford which even the players are pissed off about, a fact that didn't surprise the same board member!

The club is fast losing it's soul!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Great point Barks...
I totally agree.

Never really thought about it. But St.Kilda is a major place to be in Melbourne, not too far from the dome too!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

All of the above.

Next to Melbourne,we are the most boring club in the league. Only 5 years ago we were pretty much the most exciting, but hasn't it all gone downhill as quick as the economy.

Our crowds became civilized,there is no oomph in our crowd, I'm not sure what caused this,as we used to be animals. I think maybe the reserved seating may have had something to do with this. The yobbo's can't gather in the one area anymore, it's all old people or young families. Although other clubs must have this same issue,so it's probably not an excuse. Our cheer squad make less noise than a reserves game in the Coreen league do

We don't seem to have many young male supporters in my age bracket,in the 20-35 bracket. These are your core group of loud and passionate vocalists within a crowd, we have fewer than other clubs. I guess that prolonged spell in the 80's on the bottom has caught up with us in this area. Hawthorn have all of a sudden got an explosion of young-middle age supporters,spawning from there ridiculous success in the 80's. they are all of a sudden up there with Collingwood and Richmond with crowd noise. This was us in the 90's!

Our playing style is shocking,uninspiring,passionless,end of story.

As a club we have always had colourful characters at the club which gave us our own unique personality. Now,not all of them,but as a whole we have a group of pretty boys, we have no mongrel all of a sudden. Call it old fashioned or whatever,but people like a bit of grunt and the odd punch thrown out on the ground. It's football,not a fashion parade or an audition for 'So you think you can dance'.

Our football/administration department sucks. Whats new there. The only time we looked professional as a football club was when Butters and Thomas were a duo,until there inflated ego's got in the way and sent the club back to where it's always been...struggeling

Finally,that Moorabbin culture has been filtered out. It's been 17 years now,wow! That animalistic crowd is long gone,only a distant memory now. A lot of our supporters are products of the new age viewing under the roof watching a sanitised game, with options of buying sushi at the snack bar...

P.S- bring back Lockett

Bring back the Lockett era
marksnsparks
Club Player

St Kilda as a suburb is also prime real estate and given we haven't got two cents to rub together how the hell could we have afforded to move there?

What do we do? Hope Lindsay Fox, Eric B and Molly Meldrum put their hands in their pockets?

Dreamtime.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

We are just an AFL franchise and the passion has been removed by this Administration.

I was berated for asking questions about FFS or whatever they are called and the unseemly haste of dumping the Butters admin.

Well this is the result.

Hope you are all happy.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I'm am disgusted by some of the self-slandering I read on this forum.

A practice match...get over it. Round 1 hasn't begun yet, wait till then before you reach for your razor blades. I just don't get this NAB Cup emphasis!

I'm convinced there are some supporters who almost enjoy sledging the club at any given opportunity. It's like they thrive on this negative vibe.

Time for a wake-up call.

We drafted Luke Ball instead of Judd...get over it!
GT was sacked over two seasons ago...get over it!
WE voted RB out...get over it!
We suffered a big loss a practice match...get over it!

We are 2-2 in the NAB series so far, the first loss was by 9 points! The second loss, granted was big. But, we are still 2-2, one win was against the doggies. Plus we finished top four last year.

But, no one like's to accentuate the positives when the negatives are so much more fun! But, we're are all entitled to our opinion at the end of the day.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

The Western Bulldogs will go from strength to strength because they are getting a state of the art facility at the Whitten Oval in Footscray!

The Western Bulldogs will overtake us eventually in membership and be a stronger club than us because of this!
bulls***.

The immediate population surrounding the Whitten Oval is one of the most ethnically diverse anywhere in Australia. Most couldnt give two hoots about an Aussie rules Football club basing itself locally.

The Dogs themselves say this. They have the issue of having very FEW local members.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:St Kilda as a suburb is also prime real estate and given we haven't got two cents to rub together how the hell could we have afforded to move there?

What do we do? Hope Lindsay Fox, Eric B and Molly Meldrum put their hands in their pockets?

Dreamtime.
warnie too...he could throw a few bucks our way.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

My major concern is what happens when (not if) we have a few bad years on field.

It's not inconceivable that we'll find ourselves in a position like Melbourne, or worse. In our good on-field years where we should be looking to secure ourselves financially, we have been posting operating losses.

Whilst we are in good shape now, I'm not sure we are stable enough to survive another stint at the bottom like 1999-2003.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

matrixcutter wrote:
marksnsparks wrote:St Kilda as a suburb is also prime real estate and given we haven't got two cents to rub together how the hell could we have afforded to move there?

Dreamtime.
warnie too...he could throw a few bucks our way.
What about Eric Bana? If he has a few shillings to waste on a car...
But to answer Marksnsparks, there are heaps of ovals around the Albert park precinct, just needed to find a building, or as in the case now build a new one

Seeya
matrix
Saintsational Legend

eric b is eric banna :P

on the note of a few players being a little pissed with the move....u reckon that could cause some moving on when contracts are out??

i mean memberships not looking great with the whole level 2 thing etc

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

matrixcutter wrote:eric b is eric banna :P

on the note of a few players being a little pissed with the move....u reckon that could cause some moving on when contracts are out??

i mean memberships not looking great with the whole level 2 thing etc
And thats Mr Warne to you :P
edit: Mr E Bana just finished 10th in the Bathurst 12 hour, are there two of them?

Seeya
bethb7
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:I'm am disgusted by some of the self-slandering I read on this forum.

A practice match...get over it. Round 1 hasn't begun yet, wait till then before you reach for your razor blades. I just don't get this NAB Cup emphasis!

I'm convinced there are some supporters who almost enjoy sledging the club at any given opportunity. It's like they thrive on this negative vibe.

Time for a wake-up call.

We drafted Luke Ball instead of Judd...get over it!
GT was sacked over two seasons ago...get over it!
WE voted RB out...get over it!
We suffered a big loss a practice match...get over it!

We are 2-2 in the NAB series so far, the first loss was by 9 points! The second loss, granted was big. But, we are still 2-2, one win was against the doggies. Plus we finished top four last year.

But, no one like's to accentuate the positives when the negatives are so much more fun! But, we're are all entitled to our opinion at the end of the day.

Agreed, please give it a rest

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's the whole glass half empty or half full....being relatively new here, I am just suprised at how soon everyone jumps off (shrugs)

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="barks4eva"]The club is losing it's identity, diminishing the essence of what it stands for.

To become a powerhouse St Kilda should base it self in St Kilda, the most marketable suburb in Victoria, yet the club now seeks to base itself on the whims of a man who has now left the club, in the backblocks of Seaford and embrace Frankston like it's some holy grail!
[/quote]

How about the St Kilda triangle site. Now that Babcock and Brown have gone bust, a green oval there would be a much better than a mini Chadstone. If the fairies can be kicked out of the Palais Theatre it could be converted into a social club.

And I would not have to leave my apartment to see the boys train.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08