Confirmed Farren Ray & pick 48 to the Saints for pick 31

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kp83
Club Player

Didn't say we're the toughest team, but I rate us as a good hard side, especially with Bally in the guts and not in the stands.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

so does this mean that Fiora is a likely de-listing ? :wink:

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Fizz still has 1 year to run on his contract - so we'd have to pay him out for next year anyway.

Worth keeping as a 'depth' (Sandy) player in 2009.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Sing along!!!

Its time to start the music.....

Its time to dress up right...

Its time to get things started....

On the....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Ok people... listen up......

To all you in-grates on here who are already bagging young Farren.... Jesus Christ!!.. Fair Dinkum!!!... give the kid a go for God sake!... he has been a Saint for a handful of hours and is already the new whipping boy to some....

Welcome aboard Farren... the slate is clean... work hard.... earn the respect of your teammates... and realise your undoubted potential.

Over & out.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Saints94
SS Life Member

He will be a good player for petes sake just give him a go

Saints Fans!

iceman
Club Player

the kids played 75 games as a midfielder at age 22 in a team known for a strong midfield. How many games have our 22 year olds played??

Give him a chance, i don't think we are losing much pick wise if reports are correct of a deep draft (I'm not one to know if it is or isn't). the difference between picks 30-60 in many cases can depend or development after they were drafted not before.

mick13
Club Player

iceman wrote:the kids played 75 games as a midfielder at age 22 in a team known for a strong midfield. How many games have our 22 year olds played??

Give him a chance, i don't think we are losing much pick wise if reports are correct of a deep draft (I'm not one to know if it is or isn't). the difference between picks 30-60 in many cases can depend or development after they were drafted not before.
I was surprised he's played that many...and he reckons he hasn't had much of a chance at the Doggies. :P

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Sing along!!!

Its time to start the music.....

Its time to dress up right...

Its time to get things started....

On the....
Muppet Show Tonight!!!!

f*** I loved and still love that show - Legendary!

Richter
SS Life Member

Well, I for one am stoked. Though I haven't seen a lot of the Doggies, when I have I have noticed Ray..... looks like a player.

In many games this year we have been beaten because of the lack of impact of our "bottom six". Farren will improve on that - he averages over 19 possessions a game! He currently would get into the team in front of Jones, Eddy, Gwilt, Allen, Gardiner, Armitage.

And we give up what..... 16 places in the draft.... no biggie........ great trade, well done Saints.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I've never been that high on Farren Ray, but we should keep in mind that the Dogs (who have a stronger midfield) let him go because he wanted to, not because they didn't have a place for him.

Without suggesting that he's a replacement for the great man, that's the spot in the 22 that he steps into.

If nothing else, it sends a message to those who couldn't crack the regular lienup this year that they don't move up the depth chart purely on loss of depth.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
hotdish
Club Player

Great pickup.

He's ready to go, has experience, is fast and is fit.

As RL said earlier, will play half back and free up Gram into the midfield as a full-timer.

Welcome Ray-Ray!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

could have phreased that better ross ol' buddy......

farren's girlfriend mightn't like the competition...

"
Lyon happy, still eyes Cousins

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon says the addition of Bulldog midfielder Farren Ray does not mean the club has lost interest in former Eagle Ben Cousins.

The Saints landed Ray and the Bulldogs’ third-round pick (no. 48 overall) on the final day of trade week in exchange for its second-round pick.

Lyon said the addition of Ray would bring pace and endurance to the St Kilda midfield.

“We saw the opportunity/cost was reasonable. He’s got a massive tank and we deferred a bit to (general manager football operations) Matthew Drain’s experience as well,â€

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Schillaci
Club Player

Very pleased with this trade.

Good player who adds depth and speed to midfield for only 17 places in the draft.

Great work Saints.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Good Trade....

We needed ball carriers, and he is one......

bigred
Saintsational Legend

It is a decent trade.

Change should be good for him.

His footskills are his MAJOR flaw however....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Joke to critisise Ray.

What did people expect for #31? Cooney? Griffen? Kerr? Okeefe?

Wake up people.

Lots of upside to the trade - but I suppose unless we get one of the above and a first round draft pick for our pick #31 some people will be unhappy.

Good luck and welcome Farren.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

pick 31 versus pick 48:

2007: Daniel Boyle vs Michael Shields
2006: Clayton Collard vs David Mackay
2005: Trent West vs Alan Obst
2004: Jarred Moore vs Nathan Ablett (fs)
2003: Josh Krueger vs Heath Shaw (fs)
2002: Joel Perry vs Greg Edgcumbe
2001: Joel Reynolds vs Simon Cox
2000: Blake Campbell vs Matthew Smith
1999: Paul Chapman vs Chance Bateman
1998: Gary Dhurrkay vs Lucas Herbert
1997: Simon Black vs Ben Thompson (st kilda)
1996: Jess Sinclair vs Marty Warry
1995: Andrew Ukovic vs Darren Milburn
1994: Allen Nash vs Austinn Jones
1993: Mark Stevens vs Matthew Hopkins

What does that mean?

In the last eight years, neither pick has given anything - ignoring Ablett and Shaw who would have gone higher if not for father son. (Jury probably still out on Collard and Moore.)

In the seven years before that it was Champan, Black, Sinclair, Stevens vs Bateman, Milburn, Jones. That's a win to the earlier pick but not unarguably so.

I'm not unhappy with the trade. Picks after about 30 are a lottery and just depend on how much homework you've done and how good your recruiting instincts are.

Whether Fazza is the next Fiora or the next Montagna, I don't know. Let's hope the latter.

fisher_fan
Club Player

with a full list is it likely ray will be in our best 18??? would he start midfield? forward? half back? from what i know of the guy he would fit into the gram/fisher/montagna type group of our team. should be a good pick up and to go back 11 picks can go either way so its worth the risk....i think one thing the saints do well (forgetting barry brooks) is trade well imo...i know everyone might not agree but they do a good job of picking up the half decent players for very little on a friday afternoon of trade week.

such is life
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

fisher_fan wrote:with a full list is it likely ray will be in our best 18??? would he start midfield? forward? half back? from what i know of the guy he would fit into the gram/fisher/montagna type group of our team. should be a good pick up and to go back 11 picks can go either way so its worth the risk....i think one thing the saints do well (forgetting barry brooks) is trade well imo...i know everyone might not agree but they do a good job of picking up the half decent players for very little on a friday afternoon of trade week.
fisher_fan, you might want to change the spelling of Schneider's name in your sig?

But then again, you may want to be belligerent, stubborn and obtuse like MisKa and leave the miss-spelling there?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The way I see it the first 25 draft picks are pretty good this year, after that it is a bit of a lottery. Changing Pick 31 for 48 is not as big a loss as changing 4 for 22. or similar. KIds taken in the early 30's could just as easily be taken in the late 40's.