Best & Fairest OFFICIAL Update Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ratismeat
Club Player

I think they got it right, could have been any of that top four.
Won't be the last time Roo wins a B&F, we're lucky to have a player like him on the team.
Max was amazing this year, as we all know.
Lenny was solid all year.

Fisher had a great year, so important to our structure, deserved winner.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda backman Sam Fisher has capped off a superb season, in which he was named All-Australian for the first time, by winning his first St Kilda best and fairest award.

The 25-year-old has established himself as one of the club's premier players, in 2006 he finished third, and in 2007 second, before finally breaking through to claim his first Trevor Barker Award this year.

Fisher won the awards with 680 votes, to finish 37 votes clear of Nick Riewoldt (643), with Lenny Hayes third on 627.

Max Hudghton was fourth on 507 votes, while the ever-green Robert Harvey rounded out the top five with 492 votes in his final year.

Fisher ranked third in the AFL for rebound 50’s, as well as third overall for marks after taking 192 grabs this year.

Recruited from West Adelaide with pick 55 in the 2003 National Draft, Fisher has played 96 matches for the Saints and recently signed on for a further two seasons.

"It's a tremendous honour to win the Trevor Barker Medal, particularly playing as part of such a competitive team," Fisher said.

"2008 was a strong year for St Kilda and I am proud to have played with such a solid team. The Saints are among the frontrunners of the competition and I hope that I can carry my form into 2009 and help the club go even further than we did this year."

"I'd like to thank everyone at the St Kilda Football Club for their continued support, as well as our loyal fans who come to our games week in, week out to cheer for the Saints. I think there is a lot to look forward to in 2009."

Young gun Raphael Clarke took out the Most Promising Player award while retiring greats Harvey and Fraser Gehrig were recognised for their services to club.

Hayes took out the inaugural Robert Harvey Best Clubman Award for his tireless commitment to the club.

Trevor Barker Award Top 10
1. Sam Fisher 680 votes
2. Nick Riewoldt 643 votes
3. Lenny Hayes 627 votes
4. Max Hudghton 507 votes
5. Robert Harvey 492 votes
6. Leigh Montagna 473 votes
7. Brendan Goddard 469 votes
8. Jason Gram 467 votes
9. Luke Ball 418 votes
10, Jason Blake 402 votes

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:No Dal
No Milne
No Kosi
thought milne might have polled a bit better and at least made the top 10.

60 goals was a pretty handy effort from a small forward and you could make a good argument for him as all australian rather than medhurst.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 05 Oct 2008 2:00am, edited 1 time in total.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

There's also an unusual quirk with our B&F from memory.

It rewards those that play each week (so missing a game can be costly) and I think every player gets a score?

Can anyone elaborate?

Terrific for Sam - 3rd in 06, 2nd in 07, winner this year.

What price a Brownlow in 09? :wink:

iceman
Club Player

every single player is given a rating out of 10 from 5 different people meaning the maximum votes a player can get in a round is 50.

In my opinion it is the best way to go about it, rather then being limited with how many people can poll, players are rated on how they actually perform each and every time.

goodie
Club Player

Well I just got home from it, courtesy of the Saintsational player sponsorship, and was disgusted to find out I'm still relatively sober. So I thought I'd post my take on the night:

MC for the night was Craig Willis, whose voice you'd recognise from all manner of sporting events, including the announcements during the finals series. He kicked off the night, and then the first speech was from CEO Archie Fraser. Greg Westaway followed, then Ross the boss spoke. Most interesting of Ross's speech was the thrust that 'we're not in this to finish fourth, we're in this to win it' and that over the next week and through the draft we're looking at some quick midfielders.

Early on in the night Craig Willis stated that the players had made themselves available all year for photos and autographs, and so as this was their night they shouldn't be asked. He was ignored.

Raph won most promising player, and Lenny picked up the inaugural Robert Harvey award, which is voted by the coaching staff and centres around training, rehabilitation and attitude.

Then all the debutants, 50 gamers, 100 gamers, 150 gamers and 200 gamers were presented with a momento of their milestone match by the assistant coaches. Towards the end the stage was pretty crowded.

The count itself was broken up, there was a highlights clip of each of the first seven rounds, then a progressive tally. 7-14, progressive tally. Then the food was served.

Of course the players were the first ones fed. I was on table 22, which was relatively near the kitchens, so ours took a while to get there. It seems all the player sponsors were grouped, sharing my table was a Ben McEvoy, a Jason Gram and a Nick Riewoldt.

During the break between the recommencement of ceremony most of the players were doing the rounds, and there was a number on crutches. I can't name them all (they're harder to pick without their numbers), but Jarryd Allen I'm sure was one of them. Schneider had his arm in a sling and was limping, while Gilbo's right arm was also in a sling.

Had a brief chat to Gilbo, much to my surprise he was actually pretty disappointed with his season and hopes to do better next year. He did admit he thought the semi against Collingwood was his best game yet.

There was of course plenty of plaudits and praise for Sir Robert Harvey, and also a tribute video. Bourkey and Thommo presented him with a couple of tribute books, he got up and spoke a few words, and received a standing ovation. Pretty much throughout the entire night, any mention of his name provoked a cheer.

Rounds 15-22 were shown, at the end of which less than 10 points separated Lenny, Roo and Chips, with the finals yet to come.

There was an auction, as well as a silent auction. I tried to score a Jack Steven jumper in the silent, but had the pen snatched out of my hand (literally) as the auction was closing and was pipped at the last possible second. Cue me swearing mightily.

A comedian took to the stage after the auction, and proceeded to do various impressions in tribute to Robert Harvey. Overall the biggest laughs were when one of the crowd had a go at him.

Each of the finals was shown, and Chips polled decently in all three. There was a cheer though when Maxy was given best on ground for the Hawthorn game.

Craig Willis tried to string out the final results, but anyone with a sense of logic knew who the winner was. Lenny, Roo and Chips all made speeches, and Jack Barker was on hand to present Sammy with his award.

That's pretty much it. Met a few of the players, told Roo bad luck and that he can't win it every year (yes, I really did). He was okay with it though, and glad to see someone else win. Molly Meldrum was in the house, in fact helped donate two lots of Kylie Minogue tickets to the auction (bronx cheers), as was Michael Klim.

Eljay seemed to be hanging around the silent auction a fair bit, and I'm pretty sure the monster in the St Kilda club tie was Blake McGrath. If that was him, he's huge and I greatly look forward to seeing him playing.

Finally, one Saints big man who I will not name (but before conclusions are jumped to it was not MG) was having a very good night. Commenting that he thought he might get cut off soon, he had a bottle of Crown stashed in his inside jacket pocket and kept taking peoples' cameras off them.

If you've read this far, well done. Took a few photos, which I suspect aren't that great because I was pretty far from the stage, but I'll post any decent ones tomorrow

Congrats Sammy.
Last edited by goodie on Sun 05 Oct 2008 9:45am, edited 1 time in total.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

thanks for thr write up, great to hear.... I hope ross comes through with the midfielders we need....

Well done chips and especially well done raph....

:) GO RAPH!!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
derby Street
Club Player

Any other awards besides the B & F , Raph (Most Promising) and Lenny winning the Robert Harvey Award ?

goodie
Club Player

derby Street wrote:Any other awards besides the B & F , Raph (Most Promising) and Lenny winning the Robert Harvey Award ?
Nope, a few presentations, but no more awards

starsign
Club Player

thanks heaps Goodie1
Your reports a real goodie
Goodonya M8!

starsign
Club Player

thanks heaps Goodie
Your reports a real goodie
Goodonya M8!

HarveysDeciple

Riewoldt led the count after Round 22. But Chipper's solid finals series got him home in the end.

Was a terrific count. Well done to Blake for his seconde consecutive top 10 finish. A good reward for consistency.

Jack Barker spoke well, and there were some moving tributes to his son and to Harvs.

As for the auction thing I was filthy also lol.

I had won the Goddard auction, but as the auctioneers were collecting the forms a lady dove on to the table and put a last minute bid in after closing. She then wrenched it off the table to ensure her bid got through and then ran to the other end where they hadn't collected yet to ensure her bid counted lol.
Crazy stuff! Made me quite angry to lose an auction I had won, but hell she must want it!

goodie
Club Player

HarveysDeciple wrote: As for the auction thing I was filthy also lol.

I had won the Goddard auction, but as the auctioneers were collecting the forms a lady dove on to the table and put a last minute bid in after closing. She then wrenched it off the table to ensure her bid got through and then ran to the other end where they hadn't collected yet to ensure her bid counted lol.
Crazy stuff! Made me quite angry to lose an auction I had won, but hell she must want it!
Wonder if it was the same one.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

very good evening
Great to see 1300+ there- with apparently 500 on the waiting list-
keep it up sainters and save up for next year- whilst realising many would have been here because of Harves- it's a great way to show the team your support, and the Club if we want it to survive .

Raffle wasn't won be Me- but raised around $200,000
Auctions - includings Molly's double dip into his Kylie Tickets were good- Harves jumper from last game went for $21,000+

:?: question for those who were home- Did SEN continue their practice from the week and do live crosses?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Of course the players were the first ones fed. I was on table 22, which was relatively near the kitchens, so ours took a while to get there. It seems all the player sponsors were grouped, sharing my table was a Ben McEvoy, a Jason Gram and a Nick Riewoldt.
I had a Sam Gilbert, a Robert Harvey, a Lenny Hayes, and a Luke Ball
goodie wrote: During the break between the recommencement of ceremony most of the players were doing the rounds, and there was a number on crutches. I can't name them all (they're harder to pick without their numbers), but Jarryd Allen I'm sure was one of them. Schneider had his arm in a sling and was limping, while Gilbo's right arm was also in a sling.
Blake also had his arm in sling, Crutches- Ben McEvoy and Jarryd Allen, BJ seemd to be stiff legged.

Craig Willis tried to string out the final results, but anyone with a sense of logic knew who the winner was. Lenny, Roo and Chips all made speeches, and Jack Barker was on hand to present Sammy with his award.
was watching with a smile as they thought Jack was going off on a tangent- and seemed worried that he wasn't going to actually mention Sam- But for all his Frailty Jack was able to send his Hounour s to Harves- Congratulate the team and the coaching staff and then formallly present the medal- ( just a little disappointed that they didn't get this on screen for those of us who were a little further away.
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 05 Oct 2008 11:37am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

PS; I bet Jimmy didn't get as much for cutting his locks off as Chance did-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Finally, one Saints big man who I will not name (but before conclusions are jumped to it was not MG) was having a very good night. Commenting that he thought he might get cut off soon, he had a bottle of Crown stashed in his inside jacket pocket and kept taking peoples' cameras off them.
Was this big man a rookie?

Dal'sGal26
Club Player

goodie wrote:Finally, one Saints big man who I will not name (but before conclusions are jumped to it was not MG) was having a very good night. Commenting that he thought he might get cut off soon, he had a bottle of Crown stashed in his inside jacket pocket and kept taking peoples' cameras off them.
Pretty sure I know who this is as he stole my camera!

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Dal'sGal26 wrote:
Pretty sure I know who this is as he stole my camera!
Sounds like he's a good bloke... :roll:

Cirra
Club Player

I was there and had a great night also. The players I spoke to we fabulous to the fans, eg Milne, Gwilt, Harvey, Max and S. Fisher.

I was lucky enough to win the bid for Sam Fisher's jumper and he was great enough to personalise it a bit for me after he won his medal. I can't wait to frame it with the picture of us.

We done Sammy!

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

how did clarke get most promising after having 1 good game...when clinton jones put his body on the line and played far more games and had a few good ones?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Raphs last 6 or 7 weeks were very promising.

The best 6 games hes put together consecutively in his career.

It's obvious hes a class above Clint Jones.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

he had one good game... against collingwood...most he looked well out of his depth... Jones put in every game he might not have the msot natural skills but more deserving i feel...

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Raph was good against Adelaide and the Bombers too. TBH i dont remember who we played in the weeks before that but coming up to the Bombers game I remember thinking that Raph was really starting to get some match fitness and show some promise.

thequarry
Club Player

I think he made a return in the Fremantle game after a few weeks out and looked far more composed with the ball. He also kicked a lovely goal in that game. Good to see he carried on with that form.