2006 draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

S.A Saint
Club Player

2006 draft

just thought i might write out a list off all players that have been take from pick 30 and latter which have gone on to have good seasons.

06 draft
pick
30 Melbourne Ricky Petterd
32 Adelaide Kurt Tippett
33 Hawthorn Jarryd Morton
36 Essendon Alwyn Davey
42 Essendon Bachar Houli
46 Melbourne Colin Garland
47 Essendon Kyle Reimers
55 Port Adelaide Robert Gray
61 Western Bulldogs Josh Hill
63 Collingwood Tyson Goldsack
71 Port Adelaide Justin Westhoff
82 North Melbourne Aaron Edwards
86 Port Adelaide David Rodan

as you can see there are still talented players that are left beyond pick 30. i believe our recruiting staff failed badly in this department as you can see with the picks we had

27 St Kilda Brad Howard
59 St Kilda Jarryd Allen
74 St Kilda Matthew Ferguson

hopefully during this years draft we really make good use of our picks before the gold coast teams comes in and really recruit properly as these last few years our recruiting has been below par.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2006 draft

S.A Saint wrote:just thought i might write out a list off all players that have been take from pick 30 and latter which have gone on to have good seasons.

06 draft
pick
30 Melbourne Ricky Petterd
32 Adelaide Kurt Tippett
33 Hawthorn Jarryd Morton
36 Essendon Alwyn Davey
42 Essendon Bachar Houli
46 Melbourne Colin Garland
47 Essendon Kyle Reimers
55 Port Adelaide Robert Gray
61 Western Bulldogs Josh Hill
63 Collingwood Tyson Goldsack
71 Port Adelaide Justin Westhoff
82 North Melbourne Aaron Edwards
86 Port Adelaide David Rodan

as you can see there are still talented players that are left beyond pick 30. i believe our recruiting staff failed badly in this department as you can see with the picks we had

27 St Kilda Brad Howard
59 St Kilda Jarryd Allen

hopefully during this years draft we really make good use of our picks before the gold coast teams comes in and really recruit properly as these last few years our recruiting has been below par.
excellent post. our recruiters should be shot for 2006. they did a terrible terrible job. lots of good players in that list by crikey! goldsack, hill, westhoff and tippet will all be 100 game players. and a few others you mentioned could easily be stars as well. as far as recycled players go - rodan is one of the best stories going around. good player.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for giving me the opportunity (in a post-GT draft, so I can't be accused of having an agenda) to point out the absurdity of all this "Bevo/GT/whoever should be shot for wasting pick 35 on Bloggs when Captain Brownlow was taken by the Crows at pick 45"

You give us a list of 14 - not all exactly superstars - of whom 12 have been playing at clubs which finished well below us on the table.

They only represent 1 in 4 of the picks beyond 30 in 2006. So it's very hit and miss

Take a player like Goldsack, who does look ATM like a potential 200 gamer. Yet he was passed over by every club at least 3 times. If Collingwood had anything more than the slightest inkling that he would play regularly at AFL level almost from the start, they wouldn't have let him go until pick 63.

If there's one area of our team that is adequately-staffed, it's with players of Goldsack's type. I'm sure we didn't even think about taking him, and nor should we have

Maybe Howard was a poor choice over, say a Davey: but Howard has just been re-signed for 2 years and the club must see something in him that the fans can't.

And remember, most fans were wrong about Lenny, BJ, and now, it seems, Raph.

As Lyon said, it takes 4 years to fully develop a young AFL player. Those who star in the first 2 years are a minority

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do not compare Howard with those players
Raph had shown potential in the U18 carnival in 2002, where people early rated him a top 3 in 2003
Lenny was a Morrish Medallist
BJ was the best Junior in the country and a #1 DP.

Brad Howard was a 19yo who had been passed over the year before, he was speculative pick at best...should have been rookied....
along with
Raymond, Sweney, Gwilt......these smokey picks in this day and age are a waste of a possible elite junior who has came through the representative squads and the elite U18 system where most poor players/attitudes are weeded out. Or 17yo who have played rep and senior footy in the SANFL/WAFL....in a league team...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I think if we had a rookie list back then they should've been rookied

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I cannot beleive people look back on drafts and say there were 14 good picks that we missed out on. You could that at every draft. Yes Howard may end up being no good or he may not. Also who knows about Allen. Lets go through every draft and see who we missed on. Im sure in hindsight we would have won a flag.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Do not compare Howard with those players
Raph had shown potential in the U18 carnival in 2002, where people early rated him a top 3 in 2003

Brad Howard was a 19yo who had been passed over the year before, he was speculative pick at best...should have been rookied....
along with
Raymond, Sweney, Gwilt......these smokey picks in this day and age are a waste of a possible elite junior who has came through the representative squads and the elite U18 system where most poor players/attitudes are weeded out. Or 17yo who have played rep and senior footy in the SANFL/WAFL....in a league team...
Big Mart. From what I've seen of Howard, I totally agree with you. But I suppose I'm just wanting to give the club the benefit of the doubt. Re-signing him for 2 years when they could easily have dropped him back to the rookie list is a big vote of confidence. They must have a reason. Surely??
Otherwise, what were they thinking?

Weren't Sweeney and Raymond more or less the last two players left in the draft, so we had to take them?

All in all, Gwilt has turned out to be a pretty good smokey from the bottom half of the draft. Starring in a QF in your first season and then clawing your way back into the top 22 to play in a PF in your 4th is better than many first round picks ever achieve

But, in general, I agree with you that smokeys should be targeted for the rookie list

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
BigMart wrote:Do not compare Howard with those players

along with
Big Mart. From what I've seen of Howard, I totally agree with you. But I suppose I'm just wanting to give the club the benefit of the doubt. Re-signing him for 2 years when they could easily have dropped him back to the rookie list is a big vote of confidence. They must have a reason. Surely??
Otherwise, what were they thinking?

Weren't Sweeney and Raymond more or less the last two players left in the draft, so we had to take them?

All in all, Gwilt has turned out to be a pretty good smokey from the bottom half of the draft. Starring in a QF in your first season and then clawing your way back into the top 22 to play in a PF in your 4th is better than many first round picks ever achieve

But, in general, I agree with you that smokeys should be targeted for the rookie list
Justin Sweeney was taken with the very last pick in the darft -No 71. A talented footballer below the shoulders...
Last edited by FortiusQuoFidelius on Fri 26 Sep 2008 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeffDunne

Whenever people discuss the success or otherwise of players taken late in a draft I'm reminded of comments made by an NFL scout that was receiving praise for taking what turned out to be one of the best players in the draft with the third to last pick in the draft : "If we were that good at spotting talent we would have picked him with our first pick"

Solar
Saintsational Legend

what a silly post

you take a third of the players taken after 30 and none are stars. Yes some have shown a little over the past two years. But like most years, those picked over 30 in the draft take a few years to develop.

On howard, have a feeling the bulldogs were looking at him, we got spooked and picked him up earlier. Of course it didn't hurt because we got allen at the next draft pick.

It's interesting but you reverse the selections and most good judges would have been happy with the selections.

As with raph and others, you need to give players a few years to develop. We have been sucked in by the judd riewoldt obsession with 2 year stars. Not everyone will be a selwood.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
JT
Club Player

Don't hear anyone complaining about Sam Fisher

spiral2
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:as you can see there are still talented players that are left beyond pick 30. i believe our recruiting staff failed badly in this department as you can see with the picks we had

27 St Kilda Brad Howard
59 St Kilda Jarryd Allen
so Allen's a dud is he?
pretty big call on a bloke who's played four games of AFL and looked to have good hands and a good attack on the footy
kicked 33 goals for Casey (second top by 1 goal) with 5 times in the bests
yeah let's write him off immediately...:?
looked to have poor fitness during preseason from what I saw (think he was coming off an injury in 2007???), so will be interesting to see how he goes with a full preseason this year.

agree that brad howard looks like a mistake, should have been rookied, I think we got out bluffed on that one. has some decent attributes (run, skills ok) but still looks lacking in smarts (though seems to be improving) and intensity. may become a decent player but can't see him being anything more.

spiral2
Club Player

PS - judging by his game against the saints earlier in the year jarryd morton is nothing to get excited about.
of that list Josh Hill is the only one I'm really spewing about. very talented player.
westhoff was down year this year after a great debut year in 2007.
tippet looked great early in the year then didn't do much (4 goals in 11 games in the second half of the year)
give them all a few years and see where they are at

Red
Club Player

We should be having this discussion in 5 years time.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:PS - judging by his game against the saints earlier in the year jarryd morton is nothing to get excited about.
of that list Josh Hill is the only one I'm really spewing about. very talented player.
Big call from me and one that I will probably live to regret (drum roll), but I have a gut feeling that Josh Hill might turn out to be a bit of a short-lived wonder more than a long-term superstar. I feel that, once opposition defences work out everything that he is able to do, he should be able to be blotted out fairly easily.

I like the way he plays, so I hope I'm wrong about this.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
spiral2
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Big call from me and one that I will probably live to regret (drum roll), but I have a gut feeling that Josh Hill might turn out to be a bit of a short-lived wonder more than a long-term superstar. I feel that, once opposition defences work out everything that he is able to do, he should be able to be blotted out fairly easily.

I like the way he plays, so I hope I'm wrong about this.
yeah you could be right, might be a flash in the pan, he has a light frame so close checking by more physical players might find him out. but that said he does have a range of weapons and is an excellent contested mark. I think if he's given freedom by his coach (not played too deep) and some latitude by opposition he'll continue to be very creative and damaging.

mick13
Club Player

Reimers.

Maybe it's those boots...but he's gonna be a gun.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sigh, more specualtion. It's interesting to note that we went for 'kids', in preference to recycled players...everyone's screaming for us to do it again this year, but it doesn't always work out. Geez, even elite U18 players can turn out less than expected...have a look at Mini!

The results of our 2006 draft are yet to be seen really, as it's been pointed out that Allen ain't a dud, and Howard's just been awarded a 2 year extension, so obviously the club has more faith in him than the OP. An what of the comparisons? Well, most of the players in the OP list are OK players for average clubs...doesn't prove much IMO.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

its too early to write off Allen

Has shown some good signs - if memory serves me correctlly had a bad injury last year ? .. not sure if he has had the luxury of a full pre-season ?

he is trying to break into a forward line that already has places for Reiwoldt, Kosi, Milne & Schnieder locked in.

I am hopeful that with a good pre-season behind him he can secure a spot as the "3rd tall" in our forward line next season.

I'd turf Charlie Gardiner before Allen

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
S.A Saint
Club Player

people were i my post did i write off allen?

he simply has not produced as much as the players mentioned had. Even this year with our forward set up looking pathetic he couldn't get a game. all i was simply doing is stating the fact that we should look to use all our picks and not trade them for some player who were rejects by another clubs.

as you can see there is talent everywhere throughout the draft. it is a matter of picking out the players and that's what our recruiting people get paid to do.

spiral2
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:i believe our recruiting staff failed badly in this department as you can see with the picks we had

27 St Kilda Brad Howard
59 St Kilda Jarryd Allen
i believe this is the part of your OP where you wrote off Allen. maybe you didn't intend it but that's how it reads to me, that you don't rate his selection and therefore that you don't rate him...

S.A Saint
Club Player

spiral2 i was just comparing him to other players in the draft which have had exactly the same opportunities and have showed more than him. i hope he turns out the best out of all of them but i just don't see that happening.

he has performed very well throughout casey this year but could not make our forward line with it not functioning properly. it is good to show form in the seconds but when we are lacking forward options and he is not getting selected there is something wrong.

nicko016
Club Player

Brad Howard was a speculative at #27 but I remember thinking at the time Allen was a good pick at #59. He was an U/18 All Australian who was one of he leading goalkickers in the TAC Cup despite playing some early parts of the season in defence. As a KPP he was always going to take longer than midfielders and in a years time we will know a lot more about him. He'll be a third year player next year and will be expected to start contributing.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Brad Howard was a 19yo who had been passed over the year before, he was speculative pick at best...should have been rookied....
Howard hadn't been passed over in 05. He didn't nominate. Even if he had been passed over - so what? The guy who just won the rising star was a guy who had been passed over, then went in the top ten the next year. Harry Taylor had been passed over how many times? He's about to play in a Grand Final in his first year. Bradd Dalziell's done alright too. Sam Gilbert was also drafted a year late. There's nothing wrong with taking a player who's been passed over.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I was happy with Allen at 59. I thought we were going to get Connors, but he went at 58 - gutted. Allen was the next best IMO.

Howard at 27 was a shocker at the time and drew the angst of several posters, myself included. We should have rookied him (if available, if not, so be it) - and I think so far his career proves us right.

The two year deal is a good sign though and I'm just hoping somewhere, somehow, he becomes a player.

Heaven knows we need some speedy midfielders, so it's fingers crossed for Howard and Steven.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.