Post Match Discussion - Freo game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

MadSaintFan wrote:Thankyou Ross for finally rotating some inexperianced players through the team rather than the usual:
In: L. Fisher Birss etc.

For us to be any sort of chance in the next few years we must blood some young talent and tonight they were on display.

Rob Eddy showed that he will be a long term player.....excellent endurance and neat skills with hand and foot.

Jarryd Allen presented well and will only continue to improve.

McEvoy will only get better......to play ruck in your first year is a tough task. Dont forget Warnock for example has been in the system for 3 years.

Dont think we missed Milne tonight. In my opinion he's gone at the end of the year. Sounds tough since hes our leading goalscorer. But if your not willing to play defensively and commit to the blue-collar side of the game then I dont want you in a jumper. Dont care if he kicks 4 or 5 against bottom 4 teams.
Sad thing RL has had ALL SEASON to play kids , intsead of waiting until a crisis, ........

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
MadSaintFan wrote:Thankyou Ross for finally rotating some inexperianced players through the team rather than the usual:
In: L. Fisher Birss etc.

For us to be any sort of chance in the next few years we must blood some young talent and tonight they were on display.

Rob Eddy showed that he will be a long term player.....excellent endurance and neat skills with hand and foot.

Jarryd Allen presented well and will only continue to improve.

McEvoy will only get better......to play ruck in your first year is a tough task. Dont forget Warnock for example has been in the system for 3 years.

Dont think we missed Milne tonight. In my opinion he's gone at the end of the year. Sounds tough since hes our leading goalscorer. But if your not willing to play defensively and commit to the blue-collar side of the game then I dont want you in a jumper. Dont care if he kicks 4 or 5 against bottom 4 teams.
Sad thing RL has had ALL SEASON to play kids , intsead of waiting until a crisis, ........
Malthouse does the same thing picks one or two kids against a struggling team Collingwood win and hes hailed as a genius with more kids than you could throw a stick at. Then he drops them the following week apparently for team balance. Bringing back the same old 22 he has every week when fit. Lets hope Lyon doesnt do the same.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
spiral2
Club Player

pluggernaut wrote:I actually think Jones foot skills are improving! I've been telling all my mates that this Jones kid could be a really good player, but his kick is shithouse! But in the last 2 weeks I reckon his skills are geting better. Go Jonesy!
can only recall him missing one target and that was late in 3rd or 4th quarter, for much of the game he was on 100% disposal efficiency, I was stunned when I checked the stats online. ended up on 19 disposals with 84% efficiency, 1 clanger.
definitely looks to have improved, great stuff CJ!

Choppa
Club Player

CJ was good - 6.5

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote:CJ was excellent again tonight.

How can you possibly suggest that McQualter was the superior player.... I think we watching different games!
He was not excellent. Jones played ok and yes his footskills are improving but he had very little influence on the game for mine

saintbob
SS Life Member

How can you possibly suggest that McQualter was the superior player.... I think we watching different games!
I agree totally, McQualter 6.5/10 you've got to be kidding more like 3.5/10 and thats only for his hardness at the ball.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure what to make of Geary at this point,he probably does a job for Ross but i haven't seen anything yet to stamp him as an up and coming elite player.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I'm not sure what to make of Geary at this point,he probably does a job for Ross but i haven't seen anything yet to stamp him as an up and coming elite player.....
He was excellent in his first two matches as a rebounder however defensively he wasn't so flash. Since he's come back Ross has been making him more accountable, however last night he looked slightly out of place in the forward line. Run him out of defence as an attacking back pocket.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Geary look promising but pbly needs a spell in the 2s to get his confidence back up

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Good summary MSG except for your comments re: Dempster who was very good & Jones who ran the lines well and hit his targets.

I agree that Geary probably needs a run at Casey.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Good summary MSG except for your comments re: Dempster who was very good & Jones who ran the lines well and hit his targets.

I agree that Geary probably needs a run at Casey.
Dempster's game looks good when you look at the stats, but in the few occasions when he is one on one against an opponent (something that rarely happened in our crowded defence) he is beaten easily. He isn't doing anything that most others couldn't.

Jones is turning the ball over much less, but that is largely because most of his possessions are in plenty of space and he always takes the safe option. He might not be turning it over like he used to, but we are no better off after he has disposed of the ball. 15 sideways kicks contributes nothing to the team.

Geary needs to be allowed to play his natural game. He is an attacking flanker/wingman with good skills and smarts. However in most of his senior appearances he has been used as a shut-down player and has had no impact. It has taken Lyon more than a year to realise that McQualter isn't a tagger, and hopefully it won't take that long for Geary.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sorry MSG but your consistent bagging of Jones and Dempster is wearing thin. Jones place his role reasonably well he pushes hard into space giving us a get out of jail easy kick to him. His disposal isnt the best and thats no secret but its as good as Gearys. Dempster kept Farmer goaless last night which his job had 18 stats all of which were tidy enough.

Geary is behind both at this stage a fair way off in fact as he struggles to find his own ball.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The OP's comment on Jones show a clear bias against him...and a "head in the sand" attitude to recognise that Jones played well against Freo...and indeed has been amongst our better players for many weeks including in games such as the Lions where he was one of the very few to stand.

MSG it is time for you to recognise that Jones is a much better player than the one you have written off.

Indeed I think many of your ratings seem to reflect more your past comments on players rather than what actually occured.

I think you way underated King. For example what about that ball he punched through fora behind in the dying part of the game???? Does not show asa stat...but was vital.

To give Kinga 6 is too low.....and to give McEvoy a 4 is way too high (I rate McEvoy...but his debut game while promising was not that good apart froma few moments).

You gave Armo a 7...the same as Sam Fisher!!!!!! Armo did many good things....but again went missing at stages. He was too quiet for a 7 and is still clearly learning the game.

And yet Eddy another player you seem not to rate you marked way lower than Armo...

Dempstera 4!!!! whata joke. clearly his best game for the Saints and he played very well. Again you are just defending your past bagging of the player rather than what occurred.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 21 Jun 2008 10:59pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Hard at it
Club Player

It's hard to talk sense to the original poster of this thread who rarely goes to games, and a guy that's idol was Barry Brooks. :shock: He has had it in for Jones since the day he arrived, and last year loved to post his kicking efficiency percentages. This season it has improved, therefore it hardly gets metioned. Once he grows up, starts to get to a few more games live, and can start to admit when he is wrong about certain players he will then be taken a little more seriously

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:The OP's comment on Jones show a clear bias against him...and a "head in the sand" attitude to recognise that Jones played well against Freo...and indeed has been amongst our better players for many weeks including in games such as the Lions where he was one of the very few to stand.

MSG it is time for you to recognise that Jones is a much better player than the one you have written off.
I'll recognise that Jones is a decent player when he starts to hurt the opposition. He is racking up stats in space and not doing much else. Priddis and Carazzo are two other players who get loads of the ball and many people think they are stars. However I just don't see their worth if their team doesn't benefit from them getting the ball. Jones is in the same boat.
I think you way underate King. For example what about that ball he punched through fora behind in the dying part of the game???? Does not show asa stat...but was vital.
That was a very useful play, but it is what would be expected of any ruckman. It is Fremantle's fault that they had no one at the goal line and King benefited from their laziness. Overall King was comfortably beaten in the hitouts (which happens to most against Sandilands) and was reasonable arond the ground. Hence a rating 6 (a fair game, earning a spot).

King is an ok ruckman. He isn't close to elite and he is far from a liability. I'm happy for him to ruck ahead of Kosi, Blake and Rix, but he is not a key to the side.
To give Kinga 6 is too low.....and to give McEvoy a 4 is way too high (I rate McEvoy...but his debut game while promising was not that good apart froma few moments).
It may be a bit high, but anything under 5 is still a fail. McEvoy would smashed in the ruck (as expected), but did some good things around the ground and had very limited game time.

Boppa
Club Player

Re: Post Match Discussion - Freo game

mad saint guy wrote:Well you certainly can't complain about the players' effort tonight, but if it was against anyone but Freo (or Melbourne) we would have copped a spanking. Fremantle put in the most undisciplined, selfish, weak effort I have seen from any team in the past few years.
Riewoldt - Probably played the best game of his career. He was taking marks at the top of his leap, kicked well for goal and ran all day. Awsome effort. 10/10
Good game for Rooey, but 10/10 you have got to be kidding. Save those rankings for Garry Ablett Snr 1989 GF type performances only
Ball - Was fighting away in packs all day. His disposal was ordinary at times, but he did an excllent job of feeding it out to the runners. 7/10
Armitage - I was shocked to see that he only had 11 touches. He goes in hard, follows it up with second and third efforts and is quite damaging with the footy. Good game from Armo, even if the stats aren't impressive. 7/10
If Armitage and Ball both got the same rating then i was obviously watching a different game
Jones - Did nothing of note. He's ok when he gets the ball in space but just whacks it on the boot with no target whenever he has it in a contested situation. Definitely shadowed by McQualter as a small tough nut. 4.5/10
You are obviously hoping this kid fails, get over it, he is better than you thought

Like it or not Boppa speaks the truth
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
I'll recognise that Jones is a decent player when he starts to hurt the opposition.

He is racking up stats in space and not doing much else. .
I am afraid that you have your "Jones filter" on.....and are simply blind to his efforts.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Who said that a 23yr old player has no improvement left in him ??

Jones had definitely improved his kicking and hits the target most times.

In his 8 games this year he is averaging:
16.8 - Disposals Per Game
2.8 - Tackles Per Game

Which is better than Shnieder, X.Clarke & Birss.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Jones effort is good, yes...

But he DOES butcher the ball alot. AND the majority of his kicking is in open space with a bit of time to steady. Not up to scratch yet.