Gen Y, I need your help

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

Gen Y, I need your help

Could one of you please be kind enough to explain what our coach means in the following quote?

Not surprisingly, a bloke my age is having trouble understanding it.
"We'd lost some integrity in the selection process, and what we wanted to stand for had lost some credibility," said Lyon. "So strong integrity has been brought to the selection process and what we want to stand for and no one's immune, as of last week and going forward.

"We felt we'd compromised it a little bit — hence our inconsistency, but you know, we've gone forward."
Cheers.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Re: Gen Y, I need your help

JeffDunne wrote:Could one of you please be kind enough to explain what our coach means in the following quote?

"We'd lost some integrity in the selection process, and what we wanted to stand for had lost some credibility," said Lyon. "So strong integrity has been brought to the selection process and what we want to stand for and no one's immune, as of last week and going forward.

"We felt we'd compromised it a little bit — hence our inconsistency, but you know, we've gone forward."
Cheers.
Sounds pretty simple to me. The selection panel thinks that it's let some players become compalcent and those players have continued to not follow team rules or to do whats been asked of them and to show integrity the club has had to drop them. And that they probably should have done it sooner.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Gee lyon comes out with some drivel sometimes

Integrity? Then why has dal been named as first emergency

Ill believe in integrity when dal actually runs out for casey. Let's wait and see (and where did I put that piece of paper with Heidi and Claudias mobile numbers on it? Damn!)

JeffDunne

Thanks Ice Wolf.

So in a nutshell, what he's saying is "the coaching panel has been soft"?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Could one of you please be kind enough to explain what our coach means in the following quote?

Cheers.
clichec cliches and self- help book psychology. the guy is a muppet. trying to appear thoughtful.

only books he has read are in the self-help section of dymocks. total tool.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's so clear to me and I'm reasonable removed from Gen Y.

Good to see the Coach taking a strong hold of the playing group. His message is loud and clear and Mark Stevens article was a great objective read. Best article on the saints out of the print media for a few weeks. It really cleared it up for me why Dal has been dropped.

Hope the new boys enjoy themsleves tonight.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Spot on Jeff...just posted another of his quotes on separate thread.
No-one from Reservoir has ever spoken like this before.
He has run out of ideas and started using meaningless language and empty phrases to cover the void of leadership.

Nee!
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

everybody is soft at st.kilda it seems, and as a spectator i dont really see much to get hard about either.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
bergsone
SS Life Member

Cheers.
Dont worry mate ,your not the only one,what i cant understand is he KNEW he would be facing the media over this,what he came out with was rehearsed dribble

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Cheers.
What garbage.

We'll end up just dropping a star after every other loss for the rest of the season.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Thanks Ice Wolf.

So in a nutshell, what he's saying is "the coaching panel has been soft"?
I agree. Glad that's changed this week.

And yes, that quote is complete greek to me as well.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

I asked some kids at work and here's one effort at translating.

ross lyon wrote:"We'd lost some integrity in the selection process,
"I probably shouldn't have been appointed to this job"
ross lyon wrote:and what we wanted to stand for had lost some credibility," said Lyon.
"but the money's good and for some reason people still want me to keep doing it."
ross lyon wrote:"So strong integrity has been brought to the selection process and what we want to stand for
"I thought I'd find a couple of scapegoats that might deflect criticism of me."
ross lyon wrote:and no one's immune, as of last week and going forward.
"I had a look on the internet and Dal and Milney were the easy targets. Next time I'll drop Gwilt and Blake, that would have been too obvious this time."
ross lyon wrote:"We felt we'd compromised it a little bit — hence our inconsistency,
"A couple of random changes make it look like I'm doing something."
ross lyon wrote: but you know, we've gone forward."
"We're playing Freo so we may even win."

grant thomas wrote:"Bonnie Doon!"

spert
Saintsational Legend

Two soft players dropped, and probably a couple more in the sights ...nuff said.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Not surprisingly, a bloke my age is having trouble understanding it. Cheers.

Fair point Jeff, I’m young cool and hip (with a sentence like that I must be) I’ll have a crack at deciphering it…
"We'd lost some integrity in the selection process, said Lyon.
We just keep on picking Dempster & Schneider no matter what performance they put in.
", and what we wanted to stand for had lost some credibility," said Lyon."
For example… Birss did a good job nullifying H.Shaw but he kicked a couple of goals himself which was against team rules. Dempster follows team rules and doesn’t go near the ball so is better suited than Birss. Geary was also dropped for not following team rules….how dare he back himself and run out of defence with the ball.
", "So strong integrity has been brought to the selection process and what we want to stand for and no one's immune, as of last week and going forward.
."
We needed a high profile whipping boy, Robert Walls said on the couch this week that Dal doesn’t work hard enough, that’s good enough for me!
"
"We felt we'd compromised it a little bit — hence our inconsistency,."
Schneider is injured and the IN L.Fisher & A.Fiora theory has been outed over on Saintsational. Hey SOS who was that kid that got a kick for Casey last week, no the ruckman is in already, the little guy
", but you know, we've gone forward."
I’m already talking to my old mate Roosy about potential trades for our 1st & 2nd round picks this year….

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I've posted this on a similar forum topic

Good article on '"modern footy-speak; an insidious, jargon-stuffed language concocted by coaches to explain - or rather obscure - the game in ever more complicated terms."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 11,00.html

Here's another gem from Lyons:
"WE fell down in the basics, really, the three phases of the game; contest, pressure and use. It is not catastrophic. It is in isolation but in the context of the season we are two and one, and we play the benchmark team next week so that will really switch us on mentally straight away. We will analyse the mechanics of why that happened and we will train it up on the track."

"What Lyon was trying to say was simple enough: "
We got belted, I don't know why, we'll have to get better before we play Geelong." What he actually said meant nothing at all. "

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bergsone
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Two soft players dropped, and probably a couple more in the sights ...nuff said.
Then why not say it that way,should be in politics

Saint05
Club Player

We're going to win... hopefully! 8-)

Strength through Loyality!
Ice Wolf
Club Player

bergsone wrote:
spert wrote:Two soft players dropped, and probably a couple more in the sights ...nuff said.
Then why not say it that way,should be in politics
He's got to find someway to amuse himself with the media, Malthouse pretends to be senile, Matthews gives them a death stare, Wallace talks about anything but football, Laidley gets angry at them and snarks, Williams talks like a lunatic, Thompson acts like a grinning idiot, Bailey chooses a word and sees how often he can work it in, and Harvey does a whiny baby act. Ross used to be sarcastic but was told off so now hes gone with a thesaurus act.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I can just picture the 'simulated press conference' that 'Rossy' had to do to get the gig.

All the footy gurus and 'experts' would have been sitting there thinking "what f**k is this bloke saying? I better just sit here and nod my head otherwise everyone else will think I'm old and not 'with it' anymore."

loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
clichec cliches and self- help book psychology. the guy is a muppet. trying to appear thoughtful.

only books he has read are in the self-help section of dymocks. total tool.

Spot on Con G. Mosly Lyon is monsyllabic in his normal speech patterns. There is nothing wrong withthat I may add. Hey Tommy Haffey & Allen Jeans could get their messages through to footballers most effectively with very basic diction levels.

But our 'muppet' can't accept his linguistic limitations. It does sound like he has picked up a few words and phrases from some questionable guru's self-help book. One he found on the remainder table at Dymocks. It's an embarrasement to hear him use words out of context all the time. Lyon is real cringe factor stuff as a comunicator :( :( :(

Go back to the basics Lyon....maybe roar at the players :idea: :idea: Play to your strengths, not your weaknesses........... because a wordsmith YOU AINT :roll: :roll: :roll:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

my god, the guy is a complete moron :evil: